Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2015, 18:48   #8416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I'm against road widening - the only results of road widening is that it's used for parking. The current road width in TenderSure looks ideal , it will be hard to park any vehicle on the sides .

But I guess wide footpaths will end up in being used for sleeping at night by the homeless.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 21st June 2015 at 18:52.
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:14   #8417
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
So let us give new initiative like Tendersure atleast a try before criticizing. As some one said in the FB post, this is the way roads are constructed all over the world.
I'm all for not widening roads at the cost of cutting down trees
However, we now see in the case of TenderSURE, footpaths being widened so much so that it leaves 2 small lanes for vehicles in the Central Business District roads.

Since our traffic doesn't follow any discipline, there will be indiscriminate/haphazard parking (and we all know how good traffic rule enforcement is) so I was wondering what kind of chaos that can lead to. Internationally speaking, they have better traffic discipline and enforcement which we lack!

As I said earlier, I hope I'm wrong and it does indeed turn out to be good!

Last edited by NPV : 22nd June 2015 at 10:17.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:51   #8418
Senior - BHPian

To be fair, I think the TenderSURE is alright.

I was around this past week and noticed that they have provided space for vehicles to park. And this way, they have ensured that no one parks on the road.

This in turn leads to smooth traffic all the way as there are no obstructions which are the leading cause behind traffic jams.

Speaking of obstructions, BMTC Volvo has broken down on Varthur Main Road near Brand Factory causing a huge jam behind it in vehicles coming from Old Airport Road.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:13   #8419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm against road widening - the only results of road widening is that it's used for parking. The current road width in TenderSure looks ideal , it will be hard to park any vehicle on the sides .

But I guess wide footpaths will end up in being used for sleeping at night by the homeless.
The broad footpaths will be ideal for two wheelers to commute in case of traffic jam. They will use the footpaths so that they can reach the start of the signal at the earliest.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:12   #8420
BHPian

1) Sitting inside an uber cab, i felt so upset that the driver was racing for no reason. So i politely told him that he needs to drive slow and not use horns as I am not in a hurry. In addition, the car did not have the seat belt locking clip so i am not in favor for any stunts ! He did not like my suggestion, but calmed down a bit when he realized that i am not being rude to him.

Meantime another indicab overtakes our uber taxi bit rashly. Anyone would get irritated but i'd just leave it, knowing how things are. Our man could not take the insult, goes racing and intimidates the indicab. Result ? Five to ten mins of unnecessary traffic jam caused by two idiots arguing over who is right ! And the overall decibel levels caused by honking during that time ? Oh man, i just cant believe how people can just do this on a regular basis.

2) And for those who want some daily dose of fun ? Just be near the Bellandur junction, beneath the fly over - every 30 mins there is a traffic jam caused by mostly cabs/TT's and the impatient non cabbie who is desperate to reach home and take a leak (those who watch the scene daily knows what i am talking about). When the situation gets worse - comes the local "anna" who would the hero of the moment; bullying the drivers to stop and clear the traffic. One of them is really huge, so obviously everyone listens to him - he is very abusive too So i am sure without fear nothing will change
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:41   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
2) And for those who want some daily dose of fun ? Just be near the Bellandur junction, beneath the fly over - every 30 mins there is a traffic jam caused by mostly cabs/TT's and the impatient non cabbie who is desperate to reach home and take a leak (those who watch the scene daily knows what i am talking about).
Talking about jams and leaks. Yeah, been there, done that

Last week started from ITPL at 6:55 PM heading home in BTM. As usual, relieved myself before starting.
By the time I reached HSR, it was 8:30 PM and my bladder was constantly knocking my brain, making it feel dizzy !
Knowing that HSR - BTM will take another 45, if not less, I decided to give in to my bladder between the Petrol bunk > Mantri stretch in HSR !

And then came the dangerous and scary part ! As I finished my business, a well dressed guy with a bagpack comes to me and says that he lost his wallet and needs to go to Hebbal. I tell him to call his friends / family and come to the bus stop at Hebbal, to pay the fare. He says that there is no one he knows in Bangalore ! I ask him to go towards the other side of the road and ask for help from someone who is going to Hebbal, because this side goes to BTM. He says ok and leaves. I sit in my car and then get scared if someone was in my car. No one was there. But come to think of it, while I was speaking to him, someone could have hit me from back and robbed me !! Would have paid a big price for taking a leak !!
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:21   #8422
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Got this forward from a colleague. Bellandur lake near the narrow bridge. Looks like snowfall but it isnt. The situation is made worse by ensuing monsoon wind. Last night the situatoon was worse and it caused a minor traffic jam. Now that i travel through that road daily im encountering daily traffic bottlenecks.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435035068.421955.jpg

And BBMP has given up cleaning its mess

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 10:32. Reason: Inserting image correctly.
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:33   #8423
Team-BHP Support

Damn! What is that? Froth from a river due to some effluent?
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:34   #8424
Distinguished - BHPian

Eeks, that is a totally toxic cocktail of industrial chemicals, effluents and god knows what else.

I would recommend completely avoiding that stretch when windy!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Don't need that word. :)
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:37   #8425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Eeks, that is a totally toxic cocktail of industrial chemicals, effluents and god knows what else.

What about the residents who stay close to the lake. Imagine the kind of allergic infection due to the froth the residents have to face including the kids.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:42   #8426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yes its mix of raw sewage and industrial waste. Many lakes in bangalore are getting polluted like this. Just google, you ll be amazed at the search results.

Quote:

Unfortunately cant avoid. I have to take this route to reach ecospace else i have to endure nightmare through marathalli, kadubeesanahalli stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What about the residents who stay close to the lake. Imagine the kind of allergic infection due to the froth the residents have to face including the kids.
I really feel for those residents who live nearby. Also many high rise luxury apartment projects have come nearby marketing about lake view etc. but in reality all you stare at is raw sewage and stench emanating from it. I pity those who have paid in lakhs and crores and yet suffer.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:49   #8427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thats chemical froth.
Last month, this lake was burning infact. It also caught fire due to chemicals. (LINK)

Last month a similar thing happened in Varthur Lake also. It was all over the news, but little action seems to be taken. (LINK)
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:51   #8428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Eeks, that is a totally toxic cocktail of industrial chemicals, effluents (read shit) and god knows what else.!
Sometimes it catches fire - the lake catches fire.
There are 1000s of industrial units along the lakes. These units deal with dyes & other chemicals and let out the waste untreated. This is the result.

BTW, this news seem to have been lost - 10 air pollution monitoring stations in city exceed national average
The Respirable Suspended Particulate Matter (RSPM), an indicator of pollutants in the air, and the national limit is 100.0 g/M3.
  • Silk Board junction: 246
  • Victoria Hospital: 244
  • AMCO Batteries Point on Mysuru Road: 228
  • Graphite India locality in Whitefield: 220
  • Yeshwanthpura Police Station: 218
  • KHB Industrial Area in Yelahanka: 177
  • RO at Peenya Industrial Area: 164
  • DTDC House on Victoria Road: 192
  • Gymkhana in Peenya Industrial Area: 123
  • Indira Gandhi Children Care Institute near Nimhans: 122
*All figures in g/m3

Last edited by msdivy : 23rd June 2015 at 10:57.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:43   #8429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr
Got this forward from a colleague. Bellandur lake near the narrow bridge. Looks like snowfall but it isnt. The situation is made worse by ensuing monsoon wind. Last night the situatoon was worse and it caused a minor traffic jam.
Is it the narrow bridge which is near the Yamalur village? The road which starts from Bellandur circle, and ends up near the Logica office and Airport road? I used to go through this road five years back, and even at that time this white froth was a common sight, but not in the current levels. The place also had a very bad stench, which even my A/C and the air purifier (AmbiPure) could completely clear off. Looks like it has now become a bigger problem, with no agency really interested in fixing it. Another case of unplanned and unregulated growth of the city :(.

Today people may laugh at me, if I say that this lake was once used as a landing strip for sea-planes coming into the HAL Airport. But HAL museum has got photographs of this.

Quote:
I really feel for those residents who live nearby. Also many high rise luxury apartment projects have come nearby marketing about lake view etc. but in reality all you stare at is raw sewage and stench emanating from it. I pity those who have paid in lakhs and crores and yet suffer.
Exactly. I have become even more cynical when I see these very propah British sounding names of the apartments, which offers views of lakes, forests and what not. People are now putting up their entire savings on such apartments, only to finally live in sub-standard areas. These high rises themselves would add to the overall problem, due to depleting levels of water tables etc. The bio-waste etc. coming in from these buildings also would cause problems. There were reports (which may be exagerated) which stated that parts of Bengaluru would become completely dry by the year 2020.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:48   #8430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Is it the narrow bridge which is near the Yamalur village? The road which starts from Bellandur circle, and ends up near the Logica office and Airport road? I used to go through this road five years back, and even at that time this white froth was a common sight, but not in the current levels. The place also had a very bad stench, which even my A/C and the air purifier (AmbiPure) could completely clear off. Looks like it has now become a bigger problem, with no agency really interested in fixing it. Another case of unplanned and unregulated growth of the city :(.

Today people may laugh at me, if I say that this lake was once used as a landing strip for sea-planes coming into the HAL Airport. But HAL museum has got photographs of this.

Exactly. I have become even more cynical when I see these very propah British sounding names of the apartments, which offers views of lakes, forests and what not. People are now putting up their entire savings on such apartments, only to finally live in sub-standard areas. These high rises themselves would add to the overall problem, due to depleting levels of water tables etc. The bio-waste etc. coming in from these buildings also would cause problems. There were reports (which may be exagerated) which stated that parts of Bengaluru would become completely dry by the year 2020.
I recall one such case of a flat near Jakkasandra (Koramangala I block). I was looking out for a rented house in that flat only to find out that there is a drainage flowing nearby owing to which there is a constant stench.
For this i had to shell out Rs 20K as rent. I said goodbye and went my way. It is better to be homeless rather than live with the stench throughout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks