Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2015, 14:17   #8446
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
A query for regulars on the Jayanagar/BTM-ITPL stretch - I need to go to Thubarahalli (a km ahead of Kundalahalli gate) tomorrow evening at around 5.30 PM from Banshankari bus stand. If I were to drive this stretch, how is the traffic on ORR at that time of the day? I know it is very bad on the opposite side, but no idea about the other side. How much time could it take approximately?
Google maps gives an estimate of 1.40 to 2 hours to cover the 21km journey by car.
Banashankari to Jayadeva - 2 Signals + Slow moving traffic
Jayadeva to Silkboard - 2 Signals + Stop Go traffic
Silkboard to Bellandur - 1 Signal + Slow moving traffic between Agara - Sarjapur.
Bellandur to Marathalli - 1 Signal + Extremely slow moving traffic.
Marathalli - Kundanahalli - 1 U-Turn + 1 Signal + Stop-Go traffic.
Kundanahalli - Thubarahalli - Moderate moving traffic

Here Slow Moving = 1st or 2nd Gear.

Irrespective to the direction you are travelling, this is a total IT corridor and jams are bound to happen at 5:30PM. 2 hours is on a positive side.

If you could start atleast by 4:30, things could be better because by the time you reach Bellandur, jams would be building up and you could luckily pass through. Starting at 5:30 pm means you would just enter and exit the full length of jam.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 14:23   #8447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Bellandur is a plethora of problems especially while going from Bellandur to Yemalur and emerging out behind old airport. Since the last two days my commute from Bellandur to Yemalur which is usually a 15 min drive with minimal or some traffic has taken 1 1/2 hours. The reasons -
1) Flying foam from the sewage under the bridge on the Bellandur side of the Bellandur lake. Two wheelers just freeze while the foam is flying in the breeze and thus cause long lines.
2) The second reason is that the Kariyamanna Agrahara Road coming from Prestige Tech Park is seeing an unusually high number of vehicles which is causing lots of problems at the junction where the road next to the lake and this road meet. This is causing long lines on both roads.
3) The road is dug up in Yemalur and no one has taken the pains to fill the gaping hole made in the middle of the road. This is narrowing the already narrow road.
4) The complete non-cooperative nature of two wheelers who see oncoming traffic but refuse to use common sense and run a high risk of collision. Same applies to autorickshaw drivers and some desparate cabbies.
5) Apathy of the administration to make good roads which makes traffic flow much quicker. Bad roads , slow traffic and more pile-ups.

Is there any govt website where this bad road condition can be highlighted ?

I understand your frustration. I was also caught up in that 1.5hrs jam near yemalur bridge. So today i took indiranagar->HAL airport road->crossed yemalur signal and took doddanakundi main road->joined ORR->kadubeesanahalli-> bellandur route and was surprised that i weny smoothly. Not sure if my luck will run out tomorrow but i got better mileage too due to lesser stop and go traffic.
Old 25th June 2015, 14:35   #8448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Irrespective to the direction you are travelling, this is a total IT corridor and jams are bound to happen at 5:30PM. 2 hours is on a positive side.

If you could start atleast by 4:30, things could be better because by the time you reach Bellandur, jams would be building up and you could luckily pass through. Starting at 5:30 pm means you would just enter and exit the full length of jam.
2hours!! Thats 10 kmph average for 20 kms. No option to start by 4.30 as my university bus reaches Banshankari only by 5.15-5.25.

Salute you people who do this route daily up and down!
Old 25th June 2015, 18:30   #8449
BHPian

The foam at the Bellandur end of Bellandur lake....spoke about this in one my earlier posts
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1435237188796.jpg  

ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 18:57   #8450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The foam at the Bellandur end of Bellandur lake....spoke about this in one my earlier posts
Its sad, what's happening to this city. It had the greatest potential to be an all-round developed place to live in, with world-class amenities, pleasant climate and a liberal metropolitan outlook. Now look at what's happening.. even for someone like me who didn't want to think of any other place as home my perspective has changed.

Unplanned growth, hundreds of thousands of jobs in certain areas like Whitefield, Sarjapur Road, Electronics City, Inner Ring Road etc has killed many areas in the direct line of traffic like Koramangala, HSR, BTM, Domlur etc. The lake-bed areas are now ruled by huge apartments and I.T buildings which not only drain the water level in that area but also whatever little water will be left will come out polluted. The state government is milking the tax-cow which Bangalore is to them. Air-pollution has grown 10 fold, I'm asthmatic & can feel when air is bad. All we can ever do is document the destruction that is slowly happening, no citizen groups or development authorities can help when 90% of the people are tearing it apart. The regard for traffic rules is non-existent.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:00   #8451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And one of the prominent builders advertises their property with a tag line that says "Facing Bellandur Lake" .

I keep driving on this stretch at least once a month as we have another office here and we colleagues refer to this as Niagara Falls of Bangalore when the lake is in full glory and flowing!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:57   #8452
BHPian

I had to drop my relatives to the City Railway station on a Saturday 3 weeks back for them to catch the Island express that leaves Bangalore city at 8pm. Left home at bannerghatta road at 6:30pm and guess where we were at 8 pm? Wilson Garden! Of course we missed the train. I think I hit the top speed of 10 kmph that night.

Just 2 weeks before this, we had dropped another relative leaving home at the same time and reach city railway station at 7:30. So the one hour time looked sufficient for me. But that was on a sunday.

Saturday seems jinxed for traffic conditions. In my words, Bannerghatta road is like the 'shaft' of a badminton raquet and the city is like the 'stringed area'
Old 25th June 2015, 20:04   #8453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
I had to drop my relatives to the City Railway station on a Saturday 3 weeks back for them to catch the Island express that leaves Bangalore city at 8pm. Left home at bannerghatta road at 6:30pm and guess where we were at 8 pm? Wilson Garden! Of course we missed the train. I think I hit the top speed of 10 kmph that night.

Just 2 weeks before this, we had dropped another relative leaving home at the same time and reach city railway station at 7:30. So the one hour time looked sufficient for me. But that was on a sunday.

Saturday seems jinxed for traffic conditions. In my words, Bannerghatta road is like the 'shaft' of a badminton raquet and the city is like the 'stringed area'
IMO, Saturday's are the worst day for Bangalore traffic. I have been observing from past one year or so and every time I see that Saturday has too much traffic irrespective of the time you go out and the place you want to go. Especially towards CBD and nearby malls, I always plan accordingly considering the traffic time as maximum and take my car out during weekends.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 20:12   #8454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
IMO, Saturday's are the worst day for Bangalore traffic. I have been observing from past one year or so and every time I see that Saturday has too much traffic irrespective of the time you go out and the place you want to go. Especially towards CBD and nearby malls, I always plan accordingly considering the traffic time as maximum and take my car out during weekends.
+1 to that. I try to avoid going out on a Saturday whenever possible. Compared to Saturday traffic, monday morning seems relatively pleasant.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 20:57   #8455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

All IT consultants who use the office bus to work on week days bring out their cars in Saturdays. That's a guess I safely hazard.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:28   #8456
Distinguished - BHPian

Saturday is hell on earth throughout the CBD. I have a 5 1/2 day week unfortunately and totally detest the journey home as it takes me longer than even a Friday evening commute.

I have totally stopped Saturday outings!
Old 25th June 2015, 21:43   #8457
BHPian

Just curious to know, what's considered as CBD? I mean,what all areas are under it.
Old 25th June 2015, 21:47   #8458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Just curious to know, what's considered as CBD? I mean,what all areas are under it.
Central Business District. For bangalore I suppose that is MG Road + or - 5 km. Brigade Road, Commercial Street, [etc]
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 23:06   #8459
BHPian

OK thanks. Have never heard this term being used except on team bhp and occasionally in newspaper, though I'm from Bangalore.

I think city market, avenue road and majestic suits as CBD as business has been happening there since ages and traffic is crazy there. People and goods fight for space on roads along with traffic there :-)
Old 25th June 2015, 23:12   #8460
Senior - BHPian

It is a common term used to refer to the downtown areas of "first world" cities. These days more "party and shopping mall and nightlife" district rather than any other sort of businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
OK thanks. Have never heard this term being used except on team bhp and occasionally in newspaper, though I'm from Bangalore.

I think city market, avenue road and majestic suits as CBD as business has been happening there since ages and traffic is crazy there. People and goods fight for space on roads along with traffic there :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks