Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 10:38   #16066
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Same here. Took 30 min for what usually takes 75-90 min.
I can understand the BMTC buses since they ferry a large number of people. But I am starting to feel that the major cause of jams these days are the taxis. There are too many of them taking up roadspace - many moving empty or just parked where ever they feel like. Usually during the peak hours, there are more yellow board vehicles than private ones.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:52   #16067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
As posted earlier, here is a BMTC bus coming wrong way! As discussed earlier, I fail to understand the motivation of BMTC in taking the shortcut. What hurry are they in?
You must be new to Bangalore . At many such junctions it is the cops that invite the traffic to cross the divider in order to speed up movement during peak hours. This spoils people's habits as they start feeling that jumping the divider at such a signal is acceptable behaviour. Better get used to it and know your junctions. Some junctions are labelled as zero tolerance zones. There's your hint, this means that other zones vary between 0% and 100% tolerant .

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th September 2018 at 10:54.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:55   #16068
BHPian

CV Raman Nagar to Manyata in 35 mins flat this morning - the same route takes anywhere between 60-90 mins everyday! Loved the pleasant drive today, wish there was a bharat bandh more frequently.

Echo the thoughts of others - the ola/uber, buses, and school buses cause more traffic snarls than the number of people they proportionately carry!
Old 10th September 2018, 11:37   #16069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
CV Raman Nagar to Manyata in 35 mins flat this morning - the same route takes anywhere between 60-90 mins everyday! Loved the pleasant drive today, wish there was a bharat bandh more frequently.
Hellor Sir, where exactly you stay in C V Raman Nagar? Because, I stay in SG Palya (part of C V Raman Nagar) and my commute time to Manyata will be between 25-30mins.
Old 10th September 2018, 11:45   #16070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Hellor Sir, where exactly you stay in C V Raman Nagar? Because, I stay in SG Palya (part of C V Raman Nagar) and my commute time to Manyata will be between 25-30mins.
I stay in Abbaiah Reddy layout, in Kaggadaspura. The railway crossing plays a major part in creating a fresh hell for me daily, as does that garbage dump which creates a big pileup right from MK retail opposite Purva 270 to Bagmane and beyond, and then I take that big bazaar u-turn to join OMR.

All of this takes atleast 60 mins on a good day when the Gods align and there are no major pile-ups and it's slow-but-moving traffic. The congested lanes of Kaggadaspura were never designed to handle the density of cars, bikes, school buses, ola/uber, autos etc that we see these days. Just one moron who goes the opposite way to save himself a few seconds is enough to create major hassles for all others.

In fact, I check Google Maps daily before leaving to understand the orange/red zones and then decide whether to take this route, or the longer but more sane route of Tippasandra>Byappanahalli metro> NGEF onwards.

Maybe we can carpool sometimes if timings/days align. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Parth46 : 10th September 2018 at 11:54. Reason: editing typos
Old 10th September 2018, 11:57   #16071
BHPian

Quote:
I stay in Abbaiah Reddy layout, in Kaggadaspura. The railway crossing plays a major part in creating a fresh hell for me daily, as does that garbage dump which creates a big pileup right from MK retail opposite Purva 270 to Bagmane and beyond, and then I take that big bazaar u-turn to join OMR.

All of this takes atleast 60 mins on a good day when the Gods align and there are no major pile-ups and it's slow-but-moving traffic.
I can understand your plight. My daughters study at Geethanjali Vidyalaya and I know how bad the traffic can get in that area.

Quote:
Maybe we can carpool sometimes if timings/day align. Feel free to PM me.
Sure. I generally start from home at around 8.20 in the morning and leave office between 6.30-7.00pm. If this time suits you, you can take your 2 wheeler to come to my place (I guess it is easy to come by 2 wheeler than a car from your place to my place), park it in my place and we can go to Manyata in my car.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:18   #16072
BHPian

Ecospace may have held the crown for causing traffic havoc, but we have a new King in town, from the same builder, very close to Ecospace called EcoWorld !
It is responsible for jams which begin on ORR from Cessna Tech Park/ New Horizon college from Marathahalli side, due to the number of vehicles trying to take the service lane for EcoWorld and it is equally responsible for jams (though Ecospace contributes here as well) which begin on ORR from Iblur junction from HSR side, due to the number of vehicles take the service lane for EcoWorld just after Ecospace.
I am one unfortunate soul who works in EcoWorld. Cannot wonder how such a disastrous layout was approved. Additionally, I took a peep at its website and it says -
A 77.8 acre land area with over 12 Million sqft development of spectacular aesthetics catering to both SEZ and Non SEZ in a sustainable environment where natural and architectural forms are symbiotically integrated using responsible planning and precise engineering.

Responsible planning and precise engineering? You mean the narrow road which has to cater to 12+ huge office spaces as well as residents of Adarsh villas and apartments?

And, there are extensions already approved and under construction. Has anyone given a thought how the traffic would be handled?
I see a lot of big words and jargon thrown on their website such as 'sustainable', 'tranquility', 'landscaped', 'state-of-the-art' but absolutely no mention of traffic handling/traffic management/traffic planning.

I think it is high time we start separate threads such as:
1. Rants on Manyata traffic
2. Rants on Ecospace traffic
3. Rants on EcoWorld traffic
and so on...
drive2eternity is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:51   #16073
Team-BHP Support

To be fair. Embassy have belatedly owned up and are financing the construction of flyovers into Manyata to ease the pressure. RMZ can easily do this with the Qatari money at their fingertips
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:54   #16074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
To be fair. Embassy have belatedly owned up and are financing the construction of flyovers into Manyata to ease the pressure. RMZ can easily do this with the Qatari money at their fingertips
To be honest, I rate Embassy way above RMZ. Be it their TechParks or Residential/Commercial projects. They do much better landscaping and planning. So, what you said hardly surprises me but if RMZ also agrees to finance flyovers into Ecospace or EcoWorld, I would be really shocked !

Last edited by drive2eternity : 11th September 2018 at 09:55.
drive2eternity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:37   #16075
BHPian

A few months back, I saw what looked like speed cameras come up at 2 places on ORR. One set after the Nagashettyhalli flyover towards HebbaLa. Another set after HebbaLa before Lumbini Gardens. Today morning I observed a display near Lumbini Gardens showing 'Your speed' similar to some European countries. Did anyone else observe that or was it just me dozing off in the bus and dreaming?
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:50   #16076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
...in a sustainable environment where natural and architectural forms are symbiotically integrated using responsible planning and precise engineering.
Hahaha! I've been working at EcoWorld for the past year too and the 'sustainable' is the biggest joke! The single entry road is a disaster. Greedy developers in cahoots with corrupt government officials are how these mega-projects get the green light. And we IT companies and employees are willing accomplices.

RMZ glosses over the banks of diesel generators in the back that power the place and projects a green image by doing up one water body in the front. We IT folk gloss over the pollution and chaos our cars and cabs cause by sticking 'Go Green' stickers on our cars.

And we all do it for the money.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:56   #16077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The single entry road is a disaster.
Exactly.

Constructing flyovers as feeders is only half the work.

I think these tech parks suffer due to lack of alternative entrances/exits. A single entry/exit is causing stagnation that is causing hours to clear daily. If your work day ends anywhere after 4, it will take more than an hour to just get out of the tech park. The presence of another park (Ecoworld) in vicinity is only exacerbating the problem.

If at least 30-40% of the vehicles use the back or side exits, the spillage on to the service roads will reduce a lot. They can also pipe the inflow/outflow to different points on ORR so as to de-stress the main entrance. More such deviation tactics will help in decongestion.

Request to mods: Please delete the previous post as an edit was instead processed as a new post.

Last edited by strawhat : 11th September 2018 at 11:25. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of back to back posts within 30 minutes on the same thread. Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:12   #16078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
A few months back, I saw what looked like speed cameras come up at 2 places on ORR. One set after the Nagashettyhalli flyover towards HebbaLa. Another set after HebbaLa before Lumbini Gardens. Today morning I observed a display near Lumbini Gardens showing 'Your speed' similar to some European countries. Did anyone else observe that or was it just me dozing off in the bus and dreaming?
I guess you are talking about this. Got this on WhatsApp couple of days ago.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180909wa001501.jpeg

But I think it won't work very well in our country because:
1. The volume of traffic is too high. the sensors will go crazy as they can't give the speed of a particular vehicle for too long
2. Diverse type of traffic. From two wheeler to bullock cart to trucks to tractors. And all have different speed limit. Will be difficult to differentiate, track and display
3. high lane indiscipline. the sensors will act crazy because of this
I'm only talking about the sensor and the display working properly. it's maintenance and penalizing using it's data is the next thing.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 11th September 2018 at 11:17.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:15   #16079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
You weren't dreaming.

Here is the news link on the same. Link.

Quote:
Life in the fast lane on the airport road flyover just got a little slower. From Hebbal to be specific. In a bid to prevent accidents due to over speeding, the Bengaluru Traffic Police has installed Radar Speed Signboards (RSS) that will display the speed of vehicles, so that motorists can slow down and stay within speed limits. As a first instalment, RSS have been installed on either sides of the Hebbal-Yelahanka flyover stretch. Police say that the maximum permissible speed on this flyover stretch is 80 kmph for cars, though most of vehicles are found to be exceeding the speed limit.

Additional Commissioner of Police (traffic and security), R Hithendra said that the RSS have been installed on the Airport Road to begin with but will soon be set up at 50 junctions in the city including Bhadrappa layout, Tumkur road, NICE road stretches, Old Airport road and so on. A senior police officer said, “As of now, we may not be slapping fines for over speeding based on the RSS. But we shall create a database for three months, and later we shall decide on how to go about with the fines.”

Sensors which have been installed on the highway can track the approaching vehicle’s speed from 50 metres. Currently, only the speed of vehicles in the extreme right lane will be calculated by the RSS.

A police official said, “If you look at the instances of speeding vehicles, then probably the Devanahalli airport road comes first. Though we have two to three interceptors parked on the Airport road, we are unable to control drivers as they only reduce their speed when they’re near the interceptors. Currently, we have put up the RSS to help vehicles reduce their speed. We are also looking at other options too. For example, the Nehru Outer Ring Road in Hyderabad where the vehicles are fined if they cross the stretch at speeds beyond permissible limits (based on the vehicle’s entry and exit time) and the Tirumala model, where the RSS have been displayed at exit points to tell each vehicle how much time it took to cross the 18 km ghat road. Vehicles crossing the ghat road by over speeding are fined. We strongly believe that these kinds of methods are necessary to cut down accidents which are mostly due to over speeding. More than 1.35 lakh cases of over speeding were registered in Bengaluru alone in 2017.

Sources said that the traffic police also plan to put up RSS at every five to six kilometres before an accident-prone area.

TM Rajesh, a techie said, “I was pleasantly surprised to see the RSS on the Airport road. Though I didn’t know that they were merely warning machines, I had slowed down and even alerted my friends. They are now slowing down on the highway too.”

Nitya Reddy, a college student said, “Speeding is common on elevated highways as motorists believe that there is no one to book them. However, the police have been parking interceptors at lay bye areas on the Electronics city highway which acts as a deterrent to speeding vehicles. I am sure the RSS facility will also act as a deterrent for the speeding vehicles.”
Although only the right lane traffic speed is being displayed currently, I wonder how it'll show the speed of vehicles from all lanes. Considering the density of traffic in airport road, there are cars/vehicles running parallel to each other!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 11th September 2018 at 11:17.
Added_flavor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:43   #16080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
You weren't dreaming.
Here is the news link on the same. Link.
Interesting to see that the display seems to be capable of showing only 2 digits . Most modern LMVs do way more than 99 on those stretches.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2018 at 22:14. Reason: compacted quoted post
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks