Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 12:32   #15961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
All who have driven a car for 1000 kms in BLR are hereby eligible to be awarded the Traffic Chaos Valour Chakra for service in the BLR theatre of operations. I had one biz meeting in Whitefields and the other at a famous campus at Sarjapur Road. Google uncle told me it is a 2 hour drive. Well Noida to Mathura is also a 2 hour drive ;-)
That two hours is on a good day.
This is one of the reasons why I keep a bag of chocolates, wafers and stuff in the car. No AI can predict the Bangalore traffic.
Most of our clients are in Manyata, Whitefield, ORR or in Electronics City.
We find it easier to travel to Manyata and Electronics City from Koramangala than to ORR/Whitefield which are in fact closer to our office.

I travel from Bangalore to Mysore (150Kms) in 2hr 15 Mins and my wife takes the same time for her daily commute from Manyata to Bannerghatta Road (28Kms).
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:28   #15962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Take a look at this photo, taken at 4.30 PM today, in front of EcoSpace.

Attachment 1788683

Whats wrong with this photo? Well, the traffic flow looks 'relatively' disciplined with cars & buses adhering to their lanes
Its the varying widths of roads which are causing quite a lot of problems. 3 lanes become 2 and 1 in some cases. This causes innovative ways of traffic (TT travellers , large buses , cabs) to optimisitically take a lane and then realign causing blockage. Of late in the evening commute the underpass at Kadubeesanahalli is a new traffic block destination. Ironical is that the Honda dealership parks its test drive cars under a no parking board adding to the woes

Quote:
Guys I visited your city last 2 days after several years. I now understand why you need this thread. The 2-wheeler riders in Delhi NCR cannot hold a candle in front of the immortal riders of BLR. Dear God I promise never to complain of Delhi's traffic again.
... brilliant response sir. Actually the Bengaluru daredevil bikers of late also have ladies who drive their Scooty's from the left in a narrow lane with traffic already halted. Just to narrate yesterday's incidence. A lady on a Scooty came quite blatantly from the left. Hit the left mirror of my stationary car. I was shocked and raised my hand in a questioning gesture she unleashed a long list of expletives as though I had rammed her and made an angry face. This angered the bikers behind her who were trying to squeeze from her left hand and were cursing the fact that there was a wall. They would have curse the wall of the poor school that stood in their way.

All "Khatron ke Khiladi"s are in a rush to get ahead. And the auto-drivers take a leaf from Star Trek (This is the voyage of the Starship Auto. To go where no man has gone before)

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2018 at 18:57. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 22:55   #15963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had one biz meeting in Whitefields and the other at a famous campus at Sarjapur Road. Google uncle told me it is a 2 hour drive.
Let me ask a question which many readers of your post would have thought of.

Did you manage to reach your destination within the 2 hours as mentioned by Google uncle?

An issue with Whitefield to Sarjapur road (I am guessing the campus location from your earlier post ) is that there is no viable alternate road. A vehicle breakdown anywhere in that route and things go from bad to worse.
Old 11th August 2018, 23:21   #15964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
we have the worst traffic in the country and we deserve the bragging rights.
We have the worst roads, high tech flyovers and the fascination with speed breakers. KR puram is still breeding, Silk Board is always growing and Marathalli-Kundalhalli coupled with Graphite India has been nurtured well beyond the capabilities of a common man. No planning of an alternate route. Nobody has thought of creating a flyover to connect ORR to Graphite India. I mean the traffic inside the city proper is not half as bad as hopeless ORR and byproducts nearby. An underpass was created near Whitefield Honda to let people pass from ITI side towards ITPL, just check the mess on a working day. It's like for free for all on the ITI side. And to top it all, Traffic police merges the traffic from ITPL side and ORR side under the bridge to even get to the underpass where hardly 2 cars can merge. Enough I guess for the rant. Soon we might see 80% automatic cars in Bangalore because of this infrastructure mess.

Last edited by adi_gt : 11th August 2018 at 23:23.
Old 14th August 2018, 07:47   #15965
Senior - BHPian

This article came on my feed today:

https://qz.com/india/1047419/bangalo...iveable-metro/

Traces the evolution of Bangalore over several centuries. And laments the city's current abysmal record in quality of life.

Fascinating read.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 09:41   #15966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Fascinating read.
Fascinating indeed.

However, even with all its ills and irks, I doubt if Bengaluru can ever be called dystopian. It is a city that is looked at with great expectations by all and sundry and therefore has a huge weight on its proverbial shoulders. While providing the stage for rapid progress, the city itself has failed to keep pace and hence this logjam. But all is not lost yet.

In an altogether different context, Mark Twain's famous words perhaps best summarise Bengaluru's current milieu.

Quote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 10:16   #15967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
However, even with all its ills and irks, I doubt if Bengaluru can ever be called dystopian.
Bangalore is very much dystopian.. and its only because of the problem of having too many people in it. India is no small country.. if properly planned (which it never will be), India can have about 10 cities that cater to the tech-bottom-feeding industry otherwise known as "I.T" or "backend operations". But no, there has to be only about 3-4 of them with the most being concentrated in Bangalore.

Its also a known fact that those who thrive off the city but aren't based in Bangalore give it scant respect.. I don't blame them, I'd feel the same way if I were in Mumbai or Delhi, a home city is a home city and nothing can replace it. What happens as a result is poor garbage segregation, poor adherence to road rules, and overall.. not being actively involved in improvement of the city.

One can argue that even the resident Bangaloreans do not care and that would be true as well, but not in my case. I've volunteered for tree plantations, I follow road rules and we've completely stopped using plastic bags or any bags for that matter.. just load the shopping directly into the car using a big carton which is always in the trunk, and bring it in. Imagine if say even 25% of the population chip in, in terms of proper garbage segregation, avoiding excess garbage generation, and keeping their respective streets and homes clean.. would make a heck of a difference.

Road problems are notorious, have been so since I can remember. The auto-drivers are the worst of the lot, followed closely by cabs, two-wheelers. Cars are generally well driven, but generally the road sense in Bangalore is absolutely zilch. People drive like slugs on an open road where a speed of 60 is very much possible, and then there are some who max their engines when traffic is crawling. Two wheelers and autos think they own the road and always keep turning the handles left or right like kids pretend to drive/ride when they are 2 years old.

Surely this is NOT the city I grew up in. I place the blame squarely on the governments since the past 2 decades for such unchecked progress and rampant destruction as a result. The metro has only made this city ugly.. and is a joke when compared to the one in Delhi.

Bangalore has only so much water and the population is blowing up every year. I can only hope that in South of India, Kerala and TN get a couple of I.T cities in due course (yes I know Cochin and Coimbatore have them but not nearly enough) and then a few more cities in Punjab, Telengana+Andhra, M.P and U.P. The migration here has to be cut down by half or this will be a dried out Chernobyl in due course.

P.S I'm aware that there is no restriction towards movement of people to any land of their choosing in India.. but I'd still say the same for cities like Mumbai and Delhi. Its the ONLY way these megacities can sustain their livability over time. Make about two dozen metropolitans and split the job opportunities up. Let us think scientifically and logically and not politically or regionally.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 10:48   #15968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Bangalore is very much dystopian.. and its only because of the problem of having too many people in it.
This is the story of our country at large and not just of namma city.
Quote:
if properly planned...
IF

Quote:
One can argue that even the resident Bangaloreans do not care...
True to an extent. The Bengaluru of today is not actually a single city but a conglomeration of many towns and villages; ones that are refusing to shed their original feathers while simultaneously trying to soar high in the sky. Each part wants to have its own malls, markets and IT parks, never for a second thinking about how to make these modern behemoths accessible to others without causing inconvenience to themselves.

Quote:
I've volunteered for tree plantations, I follow road rules and we've completely stopped using plastic bags or any bags for that matter.. just load the shopping directly into the car using a big carton which is always in the trunk, and bring it in.
Respects!

Quote:
The auto-drivers are the worst of the lot, followed closely by cabs...
If I were to negotiate those craters for a majority of the day without causing-sustaining any damages while also trying to make a profitable livelihood, I too, perhaps, would have been no better than them.

Quote:
I place the blame squarely on the governments
We are a democratic nation where the Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, for the people. So, if ever we need to blame anybody, it is US!

Quote:
Make about two dozen metropolitans and split the job opportunities up.
Without going into the merits of the scheme, aren't the fledgling Smart Cities intended to do exactly that? We will get there, but it will take time.

The gist: There's still hope. All's not lost!
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:38   #15969
BHPian

Quote:
Its also a known fact that those who thrive off the city but aren't based in Bangalore give it scant respect.. I don't blame them, I'd feel the same way if I were in Mumbai or Delhi, a home city is a home city and nothing can replace it. What happens as a result is poor garbage segregation, poor adherence to road rules, and overall.. not being actively involved in improvement of the city.
A classic case of "Broken windows theory".

Quote:
Consider a building with a few broken windows. If the windows are not repaired, the tendency is for vandals to break a few more windows. Eventually, they may even break into the building, and if it's unoccupied, perhaps become squatters or light fires inside.

Or consider a pavement. Some litter accumulates. Soon, more litter accumulates. Eventually, people even start leaving bags of refuse from take-out restaurants there or even break into cars
Quote:
The migration here has to be cut down by half or this will be a dried out Chernobyl in due course.

P.S I'm aware that there is no restriction towards movement of people to any land of their choosing in India.. but I'd still say the same for cities like Mumbai and Delhi. Its the ONLY way these megacities can sustain their livability over time. Make about two dozen metropolitans and split the job opportunities up. Let us think scientifically and logically and not politically or regionally.
As long as the ruling class can milk the city to its last drop in the name of "development", this circus will go on. Like sheep, people will migrate to the city and stay despite knowing that the quality of life is going down.

The frogs are being boiled alive slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
So, if ever we need to blame anybody, it is US!

...and other countries who are outsourcing the work here. They very well know the commuting stress the IT folks endure here. But as long as the work gets done, who cares?

And then why should "they" care? If we do not have the brains to set right our country and make our lives better, why should someone else bother?

Last edited by AltoLXI : 14th August 2018 at 11:41.
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:14   #15970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its also a known fact that those who thrive off the city but aren't based in Bangalore give it scant respect.. I don't blame them, I'd feel the same way if I were in Mumbai or Delhi, a home city is a home city and nothing can replace it.
Please let's not make this into a 'native-Bangalorean' compared to an 'outsider' thing. Representatives from both segments show apathy and concern. Since there is more apathy in general, there are more issues. Since you spoke of volunteering for tree plantation drives, I covered one such cleanup and drive a few years ago at one of the neglected water bodies in the eastern part of the city. The crowd comprised a majority of 'non-native' Bangaloreans by far. And there has been no lack of commitment by that group towards cleaning up their neighborhood in the city. Went back a couple of months ago to take comparison photos and the transformation is truly amazing.

Whether we're 'originally' from this city or not (and that's a very interesting concept- how does one say one is 'from' a particular place? Born here? Parents born here? Been living here for x years? Able to speak the local language? Able to write in the local language? Who defines that? I've found that the definition changes based on the point one is trying to prove.) we all have to live here and we all need to show better civic sense.

Quote:
Make about two dozen metropolitans and split the job opportunities up.
But then how would our beloved politicians and builders make money from inflated land value, from water tanker businesses, cab transport services, facilities, office space rentals, RTO registrations, road tax, from licenses, renewals, property taxes, etc etc.? Who usually buys up land around proposed mega projects like IT parks, ring roads, new airports, etc. well in advance of the announcements and then sells them for a fortune? Whose relatives get traffic rule exceptions for malls that they own? The details are very interesting.

Last edited by am1m : 14th August 2018 at 13:24.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:22   #15971
Senior - BHPian

Tyson vs Hollifield :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...6017648594565/
sdp1975 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:42   #15972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Looks like referee got knocked down . On a different note, heard area around Phoneix got stuck for 2-3 hours yesterday due to truck breakdown. I was to reach Nandi Toyota graphite from Bagmane in outer ring road. The Ola cab i booked did not turn up and none of the auto guys were daring to go. Could see vehicles stuck from Hoodi side. Ended up walking all the way to be able to pick up my car on time.
Old 14th August 2018, 13:50   #15973
Team-BHP Support

As if the ORR wasn't bad enough already, there's plenty of new development coming up thick and fast. How do these people plan to get employees to these offices?

I take office cabs for my commute and have forgotten the last time I ever reached on schedule. If I have meetings I can't afford being late to, I usually buffer in an extra couple hours rather than be at traffic's mercy. There have recently been instances where even that wasn't enough (no kidding).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th August 2018 at 13:52.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 15:01   #15974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
As if the ORR wasn't bad enough already, there's plenty of new development coming up thick and fast. How do these people plan to get employees to these offices?
Honestly, I don't think the companies care. They are more concerned about managing costs and maintaining tax breaks. Their answer to traffic is to consolidate into one or 2 campuses to reduce the overheads. And consolidating into ORR belt seems to be the general approach. Managing the commute is the employees headache.

I see more and more folks giving up their own houses and moving on rent to places close to the work place. There seems to be no other way to manage the commute.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 15:14   #15975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Honestly, I don't think the companies care. They are more concerned about managing costs and maintaining tax breaks. Their answer to traffic is to consolidate into one or 2 campuses to reduce the overheads. And consolidating into ORR belt seems to be the general approach. Managing the commute is the employees headache.

I see more and more folks giving up their own houses and moving on rent to places close to the work place. There seems to be no other way to manage the commute.
This has a effect on hiring as well.
Candidates are refusing good offers from companies located on ORR fearing the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks