Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 09:52   #15841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How come Silk board junction does not figure in the above list ??
The Article talks about QMS (Queue Measurement System)where CCTV cameras will be installed to measure the length of the queue. For Silkboard I think the budget won't permit because one will need drone cameras for the same shuttling between the Silkboard Junction all the way to Agara (Sarjaupur road) junction . Plus 2 wheelers might probably nudge the poles where these cameras will be fitted every time they ride on the footpath!

Honestly, if Vehicle Density actuated systems already deployed way back by BEL at few junctions in Bangalore wasn't enough, we are now having high hopes about this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th July 2018 at 09:53.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 09:54   #15842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/64952043.cms

How come Silk board junction does not figure in the above list ??
Japanese are smart, they don't want bad publicity. And they realize they cannot solve it, they know their limits.
In fact, seeing the list, I am surprised to see none of the infamous ORR junctions on it.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 12th July 2018 at 09:58.
drive2eternity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 11:39   #15843
Senior - BHPian

Very slow moving Traffic right from jakkasandra till Ecospace. Had to cancel a meeting because of the traffic.
Old 17th July 2018, 15:09   #15844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Japanese are smart, they don't want bad publicity. And they realize they cannot solve it, they know their limits.
In fact, seeing the list, I am surprised to see none of the infamous ORR junctions on it.
Silk board does not feature on the image list, but Silk board is mentioned in the article as included.
Old 17th July 2018, 15:46   #15845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Silk board does not feature on the image list, but Silk board is mentioned in the article as included.
True. It is included as :
"Along with this, we will also install Variable Message Signs in Silk Board, KR Puram Bridge and Trinity Metro Station where it will give a heads-up display of traffic congestion and estimated travelling time for certain destinations. It will be based on real-time inputs received at the traffic management center."

There is no effort to solve the problem, just an indicator of probable journey times being displayed.
Old 17th July 2018, 16:32   #15846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Silk board...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Silk Board...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Silk Board...
Once, I too was an actor in the drama called Crossing the Silk Board Junction, being enacted in Bengaluru daily. Fortunately, I no longer am.

Blaming traffic jams is passe; when life gives us lemons, why not make lemonade, says this YouTube video.

Disclaimer: I am only directing you towards the video and am in no way responsible for your reactions - good, bad or ugly!

dailydriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 17:16   #15847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Once, I too was an actor in the drama called Crossing the Silk Board Junction, being enacted in Bengaluru daily. Fortunately, I no longer am.
Haha, that video is pretty funny!

How did you escape the Silk Board drama? Job change to another location? I've been trying to escape too, but not getting jobs anywhere but in this area. Am desperate to escape before Metro work begins on this road and makes the situation even worse.

Question to those who work on the ORR, how do you manage on a daily basis? What are your tips and tricks?

Since my wife and I work close by on the Bellandur section of the ORR, we pool. If we're leaving early, we take the car, if we're leaving after 8:30am, we take the bike. We both have gyms on campus, so we usually work out there after work and attempt the commute back home only post-8pm on most days. Since it's just the two of us, we can manage this traffic-beating schedule.

I've been working in this area for less than a year, since my office shifted from Richmond Road. The traffic was bad there too, but I had the option of the Metro, or a direct bus at least. Here... I can't even figure out the traffic patterns on this road. Some days there's crazy traffic on the Bellandur Lake Road even at 8:30pm, on some days the road's a breeze at 8. Wonder why. Old Airport road is always a mess.

I really wonder how couples with children and family at home manage this awful commute.

Last edited by am1m : 17th July 2018 at 17:22.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 17:59   #15848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Question to those who work on the ORR, how do you manage on a daily basis? What are your tips and tricks?
I have been commuting the Koramangala-Marathalli stretch (8 kms one way) for the past 6 years. Things have changed dramatically in recent years, there is no time of the day where the traffic is minimal.

A little bit of discipline in life is required to ensure work-life balance & less time spent in traffic. Key is to leave early, around 6:45-7 AM, before the school, company buses & private vehicles clog the IT corridors on ORR.

Once you enter parenthood, your current schedule will go haywire. You will be forced to change your work timings to spend quality time with kids(s) in the evening.

I've the liberty of WFH option, so on the days I get up late or have to drop my son at school, I avoid driving. The traffic has a very negative impact on our life, its a mind numbing exercise, even when not behind the wheels & sitting in an air-conditioned uber/ola cab.

Rgds,
Vinod
Mr_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 19:19   #15849
Senior - BHPian

Saw this warning board just before Yamalur signal. Looks like the new camera is operational. Hope it will help in reducing the mess at this junction to some extent after people realize that they are being watched.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2018_0717_092326_012.jpg  

Old 17th July 2018, 19:35   #15850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Saw this warning board just before Yamalur signal. Looks like the new camera is operational. Hope it will help in reducing the mess at this junction to some extent after people realize that they are being watched.
These boards exists at many places all over the city and right in front of cops you will notice most breaking the rules. One I see daily is at NES Signal at Yelahanka and right here you can see many cars and bikes taking the wrong side out of BESCOM office all day.

I guess by 'Zero Tolerance' what BTP means is to tell motorists that don't tolerate bullies and you also be one!

On serious note, the first such board to one up was at MG Road Brigade road junction nearly 2 decades back, where they even banned using headlights but all this was a few days' affair and everything was back to square one - Chaos and ruthless.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 20:12   #15851
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Hope it will help in reducing the mess at this junction to some extent after people realize that they are being watched.
In some cities (even in Bangalore sometimes), cops manning certain junctions have a microphone+loudspeaker or a megaphone which they use to alert motorists by calling out the vehicle/registration number and asking them to follow the rules and this usually works very well and errant motorists are usually scared and comply with the cops directive.

Now, what if this is now extended to some of the crazy junctions remotely from the Traffic Control Room ? Imagine a cop's voice booming over asking a motorist to move behind the stop line ? It will petrify them (since they'd know they're being watched remotely) and also embarrass them enough to quickly comply ? Gradually, this can lead to better discipline I think.

Not sure about the will from our authorities to implement something like this though.

Last edited by NPV : 17th July 2018 at 20:15.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 20:24   #15852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On serious note, the first such board to one up was at MG Road Brigade road junction nearly 2 decades back, where they even banned using headlights but all this was a few days' affair and everything was back to square one - Chaos and ruthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It will petrify them (since they'd know they're being watched remotely) and also embarrass them enough to quickly comply ? Gradually, this can lead to better discipline I think.
I still believe Bengaluru is a bit better in using these cameras for traffic enforcement. One of the transport guys in my company earlier told me how his vehicles got multiple violation notices for night rides, when his drivers violated rules. Few months back while returning from an International business trip, I noticed that AVIS driver was following traffic lights properly around 2:00 am - 2:30 am time. When I inquired about it, he told me that earlier he did not care much about red lights at night, but he got multiple violation notices and after that he started following rules properly irrespective of whether it is day or night.

Last edited by airbus : 17th July 2018 at 20:32. Reason: Added NPV's quote.
Old 17th July 2018, 20:59   #15853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Imagine a cop's voice booming over asking a motorist to move behind the stop line ? It will petrify them (since they'd know they're being watched remotely) and also embarrass them enough to quickly comply ?
Along with the voice of the cop, motorists might also hear very intense expletives which will amplify the effect, and make other motorists to not err I am all in for this one.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 22:32   #15854
Distinguished - BHPian

Yelahanka at ~1700:
Had a surreal encounter with an elderly owner in a beige Celerio today who took umbrage to me passing him in my Octavia. He flashed his lights and aggressively overtook me near the CRPF campus on the Dodballabpur Road. I sensed something about him and slowed down. I was right because next thing he did was to pull his handbrake and lock his rear wheels and scare me by suddenly slowing down! Unfortunately, I had sensed his move and his puny rear tyres did not help much to slow down :-)

Specimen turned off towards the Ramky building at Avalahalli narrowly missing a collision with a dZire on the other side.

In hindsight, I feel could be a case of daytime drink-driving. It is little commented on but especially in BLR outskirts, it is VERY common for many people (across all social strata) to drink in the afternoon as they cannot back at home + police checks at night. So post-3 p.m. I take special care whenever I notice extra-aggressive or erratic driving.

I publicly apologize to this person lest my overtaking move hurt his ego, but equally request him to avoid handbrake moves - the next fellow may just rear-end you with fatal consequences to many innocent people!

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th July 2018 at 22:35.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 22:40   #15855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
the video
How can team-bhp not be part of this video? LTD sticker at 3.42!
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks