Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2018, 17:57   #15751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is a flood alert for the city: KSNDMC issues flood alert for Bengaluru's low lying areas

Quote:
BENGALURU: Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre (KSNDMC) has issued a flood forecast for the city of Bengaluru in the next 24 hours.

According to the alert, low lying areas in five of the eight zones in the city are vulnerable to flooding. “According to the forecasted rain, flood vulnerable locations in Rajarajeshwari Nagar zone, East zone, South zone, Mahadevapura zone and Bommanahalli zone are expected to get severe inundation,” said a media communication from the Centre.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 13:46   #15752
Senior - BHPian

Heavy trucks have been banned from moving over the bridge at Varthur Kodi, Whitefield PS limits.

Today;
1. I saw Traffic Police men deployed at Dommasandra circle diverting trucks on Sarjapur road (towards Kaikondanahalli, Wipro Corp. office side) and not allowing them to enter Varthur Road.
2. Another constable was posted at Gunjur, to divert trucks towards a village road which would join the NH going towards Chikka Tirupathi etc.
3. Some more policemen in front of Varthur PS, again diverting trucks to a road which leads away from the Varthur Kodi side.
4. Notice boards have been put up at all places indicating ban on heavy trucks.

PS: I did notice some cement mixer trucks plying, even when the ban is there in place. It would be worthwhile to watch how many such trucks start getting exemptions.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:16   #15753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I did notice some cement mixer trucks plying, even when the ban is there in place. It would be worthwhile to watch how many such trucks start getting exemptions.
Could they have been carrying Ready Mix concrete to carry out repairs on the flyover? Local channels were agog with the news of the shaking-vibrating bridge.

It is another matter that the authorities were playing ostrich until a citizen group brought it up two weeks ago. What were they waiting for, a major collapse resulting in the loss of a few lives?
Old 5th June 2018, 09:08   #15754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Could they have been carrying Ready Mix concrete to carry out repairs on the flyover? Local channels were agog with the news of the shaking-vibrating bridge.

No way my friend. The state of affairs in and around Whitefield is so bad that such proactive measures will never be taken. The frothing issue in lakes had to reach international media before 'some' action was taken. Traffic issues are still being dodged with stop gap measures and experiments. Local channels are just banter for the officials. It should go to Supreme court or NGT before they act on it. Even though traffic police will ban the movement of heavy vehicles, the local mafia is strong enough not to give a damn to these people. They will use the bridge until it collapses. The police an only stop some container trucks etc which come from outside of the city or so. Water tankers and Cement mixers rule the place.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th June 2018 at 09:09.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 09:32   #15755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Heavy trucks have been banned from moving over the bridge at Varthur Kodi, Whitefield PS limits.

PS: I did notice some cement mixer trucks plying, even when the ban is there in place. It would be worthwhile to watch how many such trucks start getting exemptions.
Seems to be an eyewash ban. Only trucks seem to be banned. Today I saw loaded BMTC buses, school buses, Water tanker lorries all plying as usual. Also, because schools have reopened, Varthur town area large jams are back-which means vehicles are stuck on the bridge itself.

On the other hand, it will be impossible to restrict traffic any more as there are no proper alternate routes to reach varthur. The alternate proper highways are the Hoskote-Chikka-Tirupati-Sarjapur-Dommasandra or ORR-Sarjapur Road-Dommansandra. Way too round about to be useful.

Hope they are do whatever fixes are being planned soon.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 05:34   #15756
BHPian

A somewhat funny angle to the problem. Since I have Google maps location history turned on all the time, it automatically records my commute and does a really good job of it. Of late, it has been breaking my commute into two parts, with a stop at madivala St John's signal for 10-12 minutes. I guess it sees me stationary there so long, it assumes I've got off the scooter
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 12:11   #15757
BHPian

Has anyone noticed substantially higher traffic on ORR this week - from KR puram side towards Bellandur? Is it because of schools reopening and all the junta back on the roads? Irrespective of time (between 830 - 11), there's bumper to bumper traffic from Rainbow hospital till Ecospace all 3 days this week !!
Old 6th June 2018, 13:46   #15758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Has anyone noticed substantially higher traffic on ORR this week - from KR puram side towards Bellandur? Is it because of schools reopening and all the junta back on the roads? Irrespective of time (between 830 - 11), there's bumper to bumper traffic from Rainbow hospital till Ecospace all 3 days this week !!
Yes probably. Most schools reopen and till things settle down many parents drop their kids off to school and then drive to work. Usually many of these parents go by public or company transport but the initial days of school are exciting times for parents to see
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 13:56   #15759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Yes probably. Most schools reopen and till things settle down many parents drop their kids off to school and then drive to work. Usually many of these parents go by public or company transport but the initial days of school are exciting times for parents to see
I doubt if it would improve at all. For one the monsoon has begun forcing almost all 4 wheeler owners to ditch their 2 wheeler's, two the notorious school buses are back in business.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 14:02   #15760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I doubt if it would improve at all. For one the monsoon has begun forcing almost all 4 wheeler owners to ditch their 2 wheeler's, two the notorious school buses are back in business.

This is the actual reason. I am seeing 2X cars in our office since this week. It was the same last year when monsoons began. Which means, evenings are going to be worse before and after rain. I sometimes prefer driving when there is heavy rain since the roads are free of two wheelers and most car drivers would have pulled towards the side
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 19:15   #15761
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, I was stuck in a horrible traffic jam at the Huskur Road junction service road opposite Vimalalaya hospital. Hordes of morons driving on the wrong side of not just the service road but also the main Highway had created this mess.
This lasted a full 1 hour from 5AM to 6AM until some people with 3 traffic policemen came and eased the jam.
I generally don't listen to music from the start. So when I was completely stuck, rolled up the windows and switched on the AC and switched on the FM. Ironically, it was playing...
"Jeena yahan, Marna Yahan, iske sivah Jaana kahan,
Jee chahe jab humko awaaz do, Hum hain wahin, hum the jahan"

Also in the jam, I held out a 10 rupees note to a street side groundnut seller and purchased and enjoyed a small cone of "cooked beans". What a way to experience the real name of the City - Bendakalooru - which traslates to "Cooked Beans"!!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20180606_173738.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th June 2018 at 19:18.
hemanth.anand is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 10:32   #15762
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today, I was stuck in a horrible traffic jam at the Huskur Road junction service road opposite Vimalalaya hospital.
I too nearly got caught in the same mess. Luckily, when I reached Bosch/Audi service on the service road, I could spot that there was a jam so took the Veerasandra Industrial estate road and then managed to get home from the other side.

PS: Do you stay somewhere in/around Ananthnagar?
Old 7th June 2018, 11:51   #15763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
there's bumper to bumper traffic from Rainbow hospital till Ecospace all 3 days this week !!
Small correction - Only till the starting of the Intel flyover. Thanks to all those who come on to the middle lane to take left to the service road towards Inter/Cisco/Adarsh. The vehicles towards flyover gets caught in this chaos consistently every day.

It is a breeze right after that towards Eco Space. 09:00AM

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20180607_085329719.jpg
Old 8th June 2018, 12:00   #15764
Senior - BHPian

Forwarded by an out and out and old time Bengalurean, these graphs highlight the reality of namma city.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180607wa0009.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180607wa0007.jpg

And finally an one that most hungry folks would agree with.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180607wa0006.jpg
dailydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 11:25   #15765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I guess it sees me stationary there so long, it assumes I've got off the scooter
Happened for me on Sarjapur road. I was stuck in a jam near Sarjapur road total mall, Google Maps started showing me floor layout of the mall and two days later asked me to write a review on the mall too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Small correction - Only till the starting of the Intel flyover. Thanks to all those who come on to the middle lane to take left to the service road towards Inter/Cisco/Adarsh.
I guess this has started ever since they switched on traffic signal below the flyover. Its bad in evenings too.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks