Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 22:28   #15721
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

HeliTaxi (chopper shuttle service) launched between Electronics City and Kempegowda International Airport.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/63177023.cms

Journey time reduces from 2 hours to 15 mins.

The shuttle ticket is priced at Rs 4,000 including tax while a one-way trip from E-City to KIA in a luxury taxi costs around Rs 2,000.
Old 29th May 2018, 07:31   #15722
Senior - BHPian

Saw that the north carriageway of the IRR at Ejipura signal is completely blocked by the flyover work. Traffic coming from Koramangala towards Indiranagar now has to perforce turn left at the Ejipura signal (and presumably come via ASC and OA Road).
Old 29th May 2018, 14:34   #15723
Distinguished - BHPian

Everyone knows that as of today poor Tin Factory and Silkboard has to compete with Hebbal flyover when it comes to traffic jams. Saturdays are the best example when the scene remains same right after 10:00 all the way till 17:00.

Here is a time-lapse from last Saturday: Start of Jam 1:16PM and end of Jam 1:39PM (23 Minutes for less than 1.5 Kms!!)

You can notice in the beginning part of the video how badly the service roads (those approaching from below the Elevated section) are clogged too.

On a normal day, the scenes are same from 08:30 till at least 12:00 and the again after 16:30 till at least 19:30 in the same direction.

With the inflow of traffic towards the city increasing every day, I wonder how an additional loop with 2 lanes will help at all .

I always avoid this, during peak hours on week days and weekends but last Saturday I had guests who I had to take for sight-seeing and first my wife passed this in the WagonR and warned me about it. So I got one more POI added to my guests when I showed them this interesting monument .

Needless to talk about the number of trucks contributing to this traffic and that (restricting) them is going to be a huge debate on the growth and the whole meaning of ORR and etc.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th May 2018 at 14:41.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 18:02   #15724
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is a time-lapse from last Saturday: Start of Jam 1:16PM and end of Jam 1:39PM (23 Minutes for less than 1.5 Kms!!)
the etios cab driver ahead of you must be a gentleman, only once did he attempt a lane jump and aborted it immediately, inspite of being on the slowest moving Q amongst all. Very unlike a typical cabbie.
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 18:13   #15725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the etios cab driver ahead of you must be a gentleman, only once did he attempt a lane jump and aborted it immediately, inspite of being on the slowest moving Q amongst all. Very unlike a typical cabbie.
Tell me about it Venky. All the time I was actually thinking about him. Each time I have taken a cab in the evening I have always noticed how every driver tries to change lanes every second and still be "nowhere".

Also, in such jams I always prefer to stay on the extreme right or left and keep moving ahead. I may lose not more than 2-3 minutes max by doing so and still don't have to worry about getting bullied by those merging from the left side, especially private and Govt buses who often push you aside here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 18:45   #15726
Senior - BHPian

It's very funny how a BMTC bus which can squeeze within 1/2" of your ORVM at a signal finds it difficult to go closer than 6' from the kerb at a bus stop. Especially if the road has a divider at this point. I agree that public service is god's service and that BMTC have the right of way in Bangalore roads, but when you're going to stop and switch off your engine for 5 mins, At least give enough space for a car to squeeze through.
The only place where I've not seen this happen is on 8th main, near yeshwanthpur police station, probably so that a waiting line of vehicles don't alert the cops.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 14:19   #15727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Saw that the north carriageway of the IRR at Ejipura signal is completely blocked by the flyover work. Traffic coming from Koramangala towards Indiranagar now has to perforce turn left at the Ejipura signal (and presumably come via ASC and OA Road).
Hopelessly slow progress of work. That's my daily commute (albeit in the opposite direction).

It's like they lift one pebble in one day!
Old 30th May 2018, 15:04   #15728
BHPian

Nrupatunga Road which piloted White topping has begun to deteriorate, it was claimed that road needs no maintenance for thirty long years, within one year age is showing. Also, Nrupatunga Road carries mainly bus and passenger car traffic, if that can cause this damage imagine ring road situation which sees ample truck traffic.

http://epapervijayavani.in/fullview.php?edn=Bengaluru&artid=VVAANINEW_BEN_201 80530_3_14
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1527672645659.jpg  

Last edited by Thilak29 : 30th May 2018 at 15:05.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 15:09   #15729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
it was claimed that road needs no maintenance for thirty long years, within one year age is showing.
Madiwala underpass is a classic example! No one can beat that. Concretized more than once, kept failing badly on regular basis and today there's asphalt on concrete.

And that underpass was the one sponsored by association of cement manufacturers too and hyped as "world class".
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 16:54   #15730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Nrupatunga Road which piloted White topping has begun to deteriorate, it was claimed that road needs no maintenance for thirty long years, within one year age is showing. Also, Nrupatunga Road carries mainly bus and passenger car traffic, if that can cause this damage imagine ring road situation which sees ample truck traffic.

http://epapervijayavani.in/fullview...._20180530_3_14
What they probably meant was, post white topping there will be no maintenance for next 30 years, come what may! What they done is disgusting in ring road. They selected the best stretch and white topped it. Road opposite to Lumbini garden is in bad state and it is not white topped.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 18:53   #15731
Senior - BHPian

Started using the quickride app for offering and taking rides.

It's a ride sharing app between corporate users. They had come to my office recently for a promotional campaign. The fare can be adjusted , I think , between Rs 3-6 per km , so it works out far cheaper than taxis . I've taken rides and also offered rides . The overall expereince has been good , and I'm happy if it does take a vehicle or two off the roads.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 30th May 2018 at 18:54.
sdp1975 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:08   #15732
Distinguished - BHPian

Insane nights getting home from the ORR whenever it rains! It poured in Bangalore last night and of course the Uber guys started cancelling like auto rickshaw drivers. Why on earth do they accept the trip if they don't want to go?! Never understood that - doesn't the trip destination show up before they accept the ride? This is why I'm skeptical when people say that 'soon there will be no need to own a car, Uber will replace personal vehicles'. I doubt it, till they start behaving more professionally.

Was walking from my office campus, through the Eco World pedestrian footpath, and guess what, people have started riding their bikes on this internal footpath too! Amazing people we have here in Namma Bengaluru. Had enough last night, so refused to move aside and got into arguments with two idiots riding on the footpath.

One was a Zomato delivery guy. When I asked him what the heck he was doing riding on the footpath, he stopped, got off the bike and was ready to rumble! I pulled out my phone and pretended to record him, I told him to go ahead and hit me, then it would be a good police case. He backed off at once and then got off the footpath. I spotted a RMZ security guard ahead and reported him. Suddenly he was all apologetic. Dunno what happened later, I walked off.

The second idiot was a proper IT chap. Claimed he was riding on the footpath because 'he was not well and needed to get home fast'! He got stopped by the security folk too and they took a pic of his number plate. Hope they can track him down to his company and report him to his HR at least. And hope HR does something, though I doubt it.

There is no difference between the 'white-collar' folk and the blue. Between the 'outsiders' and the 'locals'. Rich or poor. All of us in Bangalore drive/ride like idiots!

(sorry for the long rant, but this is, well, a 'rant' thread )

Last edited by am1m : 31st May 2018 at 13:10.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:09   #15733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Started using the quickride app for offering and taking rides.
I have been using it for a month now for both the morning and evening trips.
I only offer rides and so far the response is good. Most of the days, I get more requests than I can take.

Apart from making new friends and acquaintances across various companies and earning some amount, the biggest benefit I feel is removing a few cars from the roads.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 14:09   #15734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
There is no difference between the 'white-collar' folk and the blue. Between the 'outsiders' and the 'locals'. Rich or poor. All of us in Bangalore drive/ride like idiots!
On road, everybody is a driver . What matters is just driving skills. I might be a graduate, but that is in the totally unrelated field to driving. I might have plenty of cash in the bank. That doesn't influence my driving. 'Outsider' or 'local', they are still within our country borders, certified to drive by the same RTOs.
Old 31st May 2018, 14:38   #15735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What matters is just driving skills. I might be a graduate, but that is in the totally unrelated field to driving.
I dunno if this has anything to do with driving skills or education, it's something a lot more basic than that which is lacking among us road users. I mean should an RTO really have to tell people not to ride on a footpath meant for pedestrians? Do we really need to deploy cops to stop something like this? (I know we need to, considering half of Bangalore rides on the footpath, but should we really need to?)

Last night's stories are tumbling in at work today. A colleague had his car battery die on the way out of RMZ Eco World. He got out of the car and walked to the main road, located a workshop and asked for a spare battery and jumper cables. There was another chap there with the same problem, dead battery in the car. Since there was a massive jam in the rain, the workshop guy could not take his bike to transport the battery to the stranded cars. So my colleague and this other customer decided to help each other out. Since the other chap had his wife with him the car, my colleague agreed to help carry the battery to that guy's car first. They got there, and my colleague helped him jump start the car.

Now, my colleague's car was just on the opposite side of the road. So he asked that guy to help him with his car. That guy said he would 'just park his car ahead and come back to help'. Guess what, my colleague watches as that guy drives away! After a bit, an auto driver came up and helped my colleague carry the battery to his car.

What's lacking is basic decency. No RTO, college, cop, or job can teach that. Looking at Bangalore traffic, I guess not many of our parents bothered to teach us that either.

Last edited by am1m : 31st May 2018 at 14:39.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks