Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 17:09   #15571
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Yes - these are real irritants. Folks now depend on the Service Road to help jump the Jam, leading to a Jam on the service road itself.
Peak hours it does extent to 500 - 800 metres

Hope the authorities wake up to this inconvinience

raghu
They were supposed to replace the humps at RamaMurthy nagar and kasturi nagar on ORR with rumblers as per the DCP's tweet.
https://twitter.com/DCPTrEastBCP/sta...41296519278592

So far, no action has been taken on this.
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:45   #15572
Senior - BHPian

Hold on.. BTP is coming up with some innovative idea at Kalamandir ISRO junction. No idea what are they up to and why.
Oh is it anything to do with Metro?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20180322_082258658.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:57   #15573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Hold on.. BTP is coming up with some innovative idea at Kalamandir ISRO junction. No idea what are they up to and why.
Oh is it anything to do with Metro?

Attachment 1744532
It is just a proper U turn on either side to channel the traffic since now it is very haphazard. I hope they also form a dedicated lane for U turn on either side.
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:21   #15574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It is just a proper U turn on either side to channel the traffic since now it is very haphazard. I hope they also form a dedicated lane for U turn on either side.
They'll never be successful. People wanting to take a right u turn will form 3, 4, 5 lanes till the leftmost end and block the people going straight. People wanting to go straight will come try to squeeze from everywhere. Overall there will be a mess. We are capable of making jams even if we have 100 lanes!
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:36   #15575
BHPian

Did they install speed cameras on the Hosur Elevated Expressway? New white strips have already come up on 4-5 sections.
Have noticed slower speeds by cabs as well as few private vehicles in last 2 days. I see these installations on light poles at both end of the expressway but cannot be sure if they are Mobile towers or speed traps. Can anyone confirm? I will try to get the dash-cam image of them if possible.
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:21   #15576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Did they install speed cameras on the Hosur Elevated Expressway?
BETL stretch is ideal for point-to-point or average speed cameras which calculate your average speed based on entry and exit time stamp. In south India, it's used to great effect on the Tirupati to & fro Tirumala stretch.

It would be useful to slow down the SRS & Infant's buses.
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:14   #15577
Senior - BHPian

A quick question. I have a flight to catch at 6 AM tomorrow. Usually I start at 4 and reach the airport by 5:15, which is ample. But now, with the onward toll booth having started collection, do I have to start early to avoid any jams there?
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:45   #15578
BHPian

I have been using the NICE road to reach Electronic City from Kodigehalli for the past 4 months. Day before yesterday i noticed an Interceptor parked about 2km from the Exit Toll Gate for the first time. This was around 12:45pm, I always thought NICE road did not have Interceptors being a private toll road. So need to keep it at 80KM/hr.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 09:13   #15579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
A quick question. I have a flight to catch at 6 AM tomorrow.
Though there was a news article on starting the toll, has it commenced ?

Asking since I was checking the traffic status on Google maps yesterday for my brother who had a 06.00 AM flight. I didn't find any congestion on onward lane to airport near toll booth.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:43   #15580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Though there was a news article on starting the toll, has it commenced ?
No, fortunately. :-)

I was half-asleep and it was dark, but it seemed to me that we have only about 3 booths towards airport. Not sure what traffic modelling did they do, considering that even with 15-16 booths coming the other way one spends a good 15 minutes to clear coming to city from airport.
Old 24th March 2018, 10:11   #15581
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to KIAL on 22/3 evening no toll was being collected although infrastructure was in place.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 07:37   #15582
Senior - BHPian

So a complete orbital road is being planned it seems:

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/63456961.cms

I think we have discussed this very same alignment. For the most part this (the northwest-southeast portion) follows the existing NH 209. Where does this and the pie-in-the-sky Peripheral Ring Road differ?

One point to note is the Hosur-Anekal-Kanakapura-Ramanagara alignment. Hopefully this will avoid all the forest area around Bannerghata National Park.
Old 26th March 2018, 08:44   #15583
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning at 7:45, spent 20 minutes on Hosur Road Highway at Huskur gate bus stop
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg
The traffic is now blocked till Electronic city bus depot.
Reason...SFS school buses (and autos and 2 wheelers of course) are coming on the wrong side of the highway to save time since the service road is slower due to KPTCL cable laying work
Old 28th March 2018, 19:35   #15584
Senior - BHPian

Don't give way to Pedestrians! On-Road lessons

Today a sad but funny thing happened while driving on Aiyappa Temple road in Jalahalli. This is a narrow two way road with high traffic density.
So traffic was moving at a snail's pace and I saw 2 college girls dancing in the middle of the road trying to get across. I stopped to allow them to pass and waved them on. Unfortunately as they were almost across, a bike overtaking me from the left and trying to get into the 10 foot gap ahead of my car hit both of them and sped away. A scooter following the bike did the same. Only the 3rd two-wheeler stopped to see if either of the girls were hurt. I moved on feeling guilty to have caused the girls' suffering. Hopefully neither of them had any major injuries.
Another funny thing happened to me on Monday at Malleshwaram 8th Main. I was trailing a BMTC bus doing speed of about 50 kmph leaving a gap of about 20 feet ahead of me. A sadhu like character (Long white stained beard and painted face) in an Auto-rickshaw coming on the opposite side decided to take a U-turn in the gap between the BMTC bus and me, though there were no vehicles behind me. I had to brake hard to avoid ramming him. When overtaking him a few seconds later, he shouts at me asking 'If I don't have brakes'. I was thinking an apt reply to that gentleman would have been 'Does he have brains'. But I know that area is notorious for rowdyism and no one wants to take panga with an auto driver and kept driving.
The lessons these incidents teach is that in Bangalore traffic, you must tail gate the vehicle ahead of you. Thank fully, I'm a mature driver and am not going to follow that, but younger drivers who learn on the road (Driving is a life long learning process) are going to end up as very dangerous drivers.
Old 30th March 2018, 15:13   #15585
Senior - BHPian

Expecting light traffic across the city owing to long weekend. Although not on par with Ugadi, Deepavali etc.

OT: Its good to see all the posters removed in a day for majority of the City. Looks like EC is better than HC or SC. Or is it that 'these' people care if anything were to happen to their election prospects ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed