Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 05:40   #8071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yesterday morning was terrible for Old Airport Road users. A colleague who takes it from Doddanekkundi to Kodihalli took close to 2 hours to cover that distance. I wisely checked Google Maps traffic view before starting (a solid red line from Domlur till Yemalur); and then called in late to work. :-)

My alternative Wind Tunnel Road was also jammed all the way from Challaghata to beyond DRDO because of (a) the usual EGL entry pileup, and (b) an accident between a bike and a car.
Old 18th April 2015, 08:15   #8072
BHPian

Haha. Good one. Seriously though, average speeds are dropping more rapidly now in Bangalore. It takes more time to get from a spot to another.
Old 18th April 2015, 08:59   #8073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The other day i had been to Mayo hall. I saw work going on in increasing the pavement area for walking. I just dont understand what BBMP is up to. Instead of increasing the road area for easy movement of vehicles, they are doing the opposite.

Now this is going to choke the already congested roads. Two wheelers will run out of patience and start going on the pavements putting the pedestrians into hardship.
Lack of common sense on the part of BBMP
Is it part of TenderSure project? Blame the intellectual think tanks for proposing these stupid ideas. There was an idea previously recommended by Abide or someone where they did the opposite.
Old 18th April 2015, 11:06   #8074
BHPian

Really surprised to see photos in the paper of long 'Q's at the petrol bunks last evening. I feel most people just stocked up looking at the mob mentality, where as people who really really wanted it would have missed out.
Old 18th April 2015, 18:54   #8075
BHPian

TenderSURE bashers: have a go at this - http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...be-world-class

It changed my view. If they can manage to never have those roads dug up ever again, it's a major win IMO.
nareshov is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 05:46   #8076

So, I was in Bangalore last week. I felt that the number of speed breakers and cuts in the road median add to the traffic chaos. If you compare Delhi or even Bombay. You'll not see these in the main arterial roads.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:51   #8077
BHPian

Wider footpaths are welcome for people to be able to move around safely.
However, it should be accompanied with removing road-side car parking to keep traffic flowing, building of alternate parking lots and strict enforcement against jay walking. Now that footpaths are there, people should be stopped from walking at edge of road or crossing at will.
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 11:29   #8078
Senior - BHPian

Talking of jaywalking, I came across this interesting post on Quora:

http://qr.ae/Ls0MF

Changed my perspective a lot.

Edit: the article linked, http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/...ywalking/1837/ is also a good read with a lot more additional details.

Last edited by binand : 19th April 2015 at 11:34.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:49   #8079
Senior - BHPian

Took full advantage of the bandh in Bangalore. Yesterday, reached my office (a distance of 10 kms) in 12 minutes. Usually takes me 45 minutes.. No traffic, no signals.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 19:36   #8080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Took full advantage of the bandh in Bangalore. Yesterday, reached my office (a distance of 10 kms) in 12 minutes.
And post the bandh chaos & anarchy is restored. Started a little late and witnessed half km long signals (city limits not ring road).

Its simply bad all over after 5 pm, each and every road. I feel the name-sake metro has been a money drainer & has only added to the infra woes of the city by connecting the most useless routes conceivable. Buses run full during peak hours & are never enough, autos gyp people like there is no tomorrow. Coincidentally I took an auto today, convenience apart the cost is certainly higher than when I drive. I did a little experiment today by asking in Hindi if he would go to the destination & bang came the reply "saar 150.Rs", immediately I fired back in local language and he agreed for meter+10.Rs which came to about half. The roads have become a survival game now.
Old 20th April 2015, 23:38   #8081
Senior - BHPian

ALERT!

Jams reported from KR Puram side to beyond Phoenix Marketcity.

Culprit? A well known one. And no points for guessing.

Broken down bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-11149537_10152759159076109_8771427049046231153_n.jpg  

Old 21st April 2015, 00:33   #8082
Senior - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
ALERT!

Jams reported from KR Puram side to beyond Phoenix Marketcity.

Culprit? A well known one. And no points for guessing.

Broken down bus.

You don't need a reason for a jam here. Every day I crawl from there to KR puram bridge, any time.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:51   #8083
Senior - BHPian

JAM ALERT:

A three wheeler (now 2 wheeler) tempo (goods) auto has broken down on the fast lane on Agara flyover, on the lane towards Sarjapur / Marathalli.

The front wheel has broken off and the auto is now perpendicular to the traffic. Expect some additional jam, alongwith the normal jam that is regular till Sarjapur junction.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:19   #8084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
TenderSURE bashers: have a go at this - http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...be-world-class

It changed my view. If they can manage to never have those roads dug up ever again, it's a major win IMO.
Having good roads with ducts below is good. (or what other countries may call normal and they dont have such wide footpaths even in downtown areas where people walk most). But I hope beauty is not the only aspect they are considering.

If you visit old areas like Basavanagudi, you will still see wide footpaths. That was how it was. Even the 100 ft Indiranagar road had very wide footpaths. These things change with different people (both govt and private) and should not happen and hopefully they will maintain the rules forever.

Last edited by srishiva : 21st April 2015 at 09:20.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 09:29   #8085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
JAM ALERT:

A three wheeler (now 2 wheeler) tempo (goods) auto has broken down on the fast lane on Agara flyover, on the lane towards Sarjapur / Marathalli.

The front wheel has broken off and the auto is now perpendicular to the traffic. Expect some additional jam, alongwith the normal jam that is regular till Sarjapur junction.
The vehicle was being towed as I passed by. The activity was happening in the right most lane and thankfully wasn't holding up traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks