Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 09:39   #8821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Forgot to mention one more thing - look at taking the Devasandra route as an alternative, especially if you're on a 2 wheeler. When returning from ITPL, make a right turn after Zuri, to the road beside the BP petrol bunk on the right. This will get you to the Hoodi Railway over bridge via the back roads. From there you get to Devasandra and then near the KR Puram market, will save some time unless some real stroke to bad luck hits and this route gets clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I think it would be much faster to get into Hoodi and then Devasandra main road. This will lead you to KR puram. Then over the cable stayed bridge you will get to Tin factory. This is much faster compared to the traditional route. Devasandra main road has several parked vehicles but you would keep moving constantly. I usually use this route if I am going towards Indiranagar in the evenings. To reach Hoodi you need to take a U-turn at the petrol pump on the ITPL main road.
Thanks for the inputs. The specific question was for a trip yesterday. But will need to do it occasionally in the next few months. So these inputs are helpful.

I had to pick someone and take him to Tippasandra. Initial plan was to pick from Zuri at 6-6.30. Considering the traffic situation, changed plan to pick from Brigade Metropolis (his work place) at 5.45. Was a pretty smooth ride all the way to Tippasandra. Only a small delay around the Whitefield Honda Signal. Breezed through KR Puram with no stops. OMR was also smooth. Was in Tippasandra by 6.20.

Not sure if I just got lucky.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 10:05   #8822
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that they have blocked that junction ideally they should allow a safe U-turn just after Big bazaar but that has also not been done. People try to take u-turns against speeding traffic moving straight. Extremely dangerous. I had written to BTP more than a year back to allow a proper U-turn. They said they would look into it but no action taken.
Not sure I understood this, which junction are you talking about and where are you referring to the safe U-turn part ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not sure if I just got lucky.
Definitely seems like you did get lucky
Usually, around 5pm, the cops start manning the signal near Whitefield Honda and it is very slow, traffic piles up till the IOC bunk just after Phoenix market city! Yesterday around 4.30pm, no cops at that junction but a Sumo broke down and caused a huge jam/crawling traffic, utter chaos just to maneuver around it
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 10:26   #8823
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure I understood this, which junction are you talking about and where are you referring to the safe U-turn part ?
Vehicles coming from Nagavarapalya are to take a left turn compulsory. The ones that need to go towards Tin factory/ORR need to then take a U-turn at the big bazaar signal (opposite the byyappanahalli police station). This U-turn is a little unsafe due to the fast traffic moving straight. Also causes a pile up due to several vehicles in multiple lanes to take a U-turn
Old 13th August 2015, 10:43   #8824
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if some the changes they did on ORR resulted in free flowing traffic near ecospace coming from silk board. They now need to concentrate on kadubeesanahalli since it resulted in slow moving traffic behind it.

As a first thing, they should remove the traffic light in front of Prestige Tech park and put a skywalk. Not sure why they put a traffic signal just for pedestrians when they havent done similarly on any other points on ORR before that.
Old 13th August 2015, 10:49   #8825
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vehicles coming from Nagavarapalya are to take a left turn compulsory. The ones that need to go towards Tin factory/ORR need to then take a U-turn at the big bazaar signal (opposite the byyappanahalli police station). This U-turn is a little unsafe due to the fast traffic moving straight. Also causes a pile up due to several vehicles in multiple lanes to take a U-turn
Ok, got it! The traffic coming from Byappanahalli towards Beniganahalli simply ignores this signal most of the time causing the U-turners to suffer
This also causes trouble for the vehicles turning right from the Big Bazaar signal - those coming from the side road though they wait for the right turn signal, the straight traffic doesn't allow them to make the turn peacefully.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 10:50   #8826
Team-BHP Support

The other big problem is Marathahalli.

- Incoming traffic on to Outer Ring Road
- Traffic taking U turn for both direction at Innovative multiplex
- Bus-Stand right opposite the opening in the divider.

So, on an average, one of three comes in a critical path to block traffic. The incoming traffic is the biggest blocker during peak hours. That is also some thing which needs to be looked at.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2015 at 10:51.
Old 13th August 2015, 11:04   #8827
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other big problem is Marathahalli.

- Incoming traffic on to Outer Ring Road
- Traffic taking U turn for both direction at Innovative multiplex
- Bus-Stand right opposite the opening in the divider.

So, on an average, one of three comes in a critical path to block traffic. The incoming traffic is the biggest blocker during peak hours. That is also some thing which needs to be looked at.
Yes, between KR Puram and Marathahalli, the 2 bottlenecks are the EMC2/Total Mall signal and this place you mentioned, even the inter-city buses & BMTC buses stop on the road causing a jam most of the time. Of course after this you have Innovative junction, the twin towers, err flyovers (mess is mostly below these but sometimes percolates upwards), etc
These points are like Kasturi Nagar and Ramamurthy Nagar junctions on the other side of the ORR which is otherwise smooth flowing till Hebbal with all the flyovers now.

Last edited by NPV : 13th August 2015 at 11:06.
Old 13th August 2015, 11:34   #8828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Not sure if this is posted somewhere else - Jayadeva flyover will be demolished to save private properties that would've had to be cleared for Metro construction.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../48444419.cms?
Already in danger of being scuttled:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7532497.ece
Old 13th August 2015, 12:02   #8829
Senior - BHPian

This was yesterday evening and my journey back home was not impacted by this.

Folks using the Whitefield Main Road must be familiar with the rut made at Phoneix Mall. It cuts across both sides of the road and is a bad one. Not slowing down will eventually lead to your lower arms shearing off. I left work (Itpl) at around 430pm and there was a short downpour lasting for about 10minutes. This lead to a slush festival. On reaching Phoneix, what I saw on the other side of the road, was epic. To fill the rut, they dumped a load of stone and dry cement mix and left it like that. It was like a heap of sand, no less than 3 feet high. This caused a bit of a pile up for traffic heading towards ITPL. I was not in a position to take a picture. What brilliance from the authorities (Possibly Phoneix as well) to fix a rut in the road.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th August 2015 at 12:06.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:38   #8830
BHPian

Due to all the changes being made on the ORR from Kadubeesanahalli towards Ecospace, I took 30 minutes to traverse the stretch from Marathahalli to Cessna Business park.

The worst stretch being the one from Prestige Tech Park - The Kadubeesnahalli junction.

That said, traffic from ORR was not being allowed to enter Ecospace since a few days now. This did lead to some respite outside Ecospace. Has this restriction been reversed?

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 13th August 2015, 14:56   #8831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
On reaching Phoneix, what I saw on the other side of the road, was epic. To fill the rut, they dumped a load of stone and dry cement mix and left it like that. It was like a heap of sand, no less than 3 feet high. This caused a bit of a pile up for traffic heading towards ITPL.
The first 100 vehicles are the unfortunate 'road-rollers'. Another reason for a SUV/cross-over in Bangalore!
Old 13th August 2015, 15:19   #8832
BHPian

It took my 40 mins today at 11-00 AM from New Horizon college to Prestige Tech Park. My daily route to PTP , the crossing above Kadubisenahalli underpass was totally gridlocked. I had to go till Innovative multiplex, take a u-turn to the left service lane and patiently wait in the car-queue to get into PTP. Only positive thing I must mention, on the service lane, all the cars were waiting in their lanes, no cutting ahead by going to the opposite lane. The traffic situation is gradually worsening around PTP. I even saw/heard Traffic Policemen 'requesting' motorists (Who are taking the left-cut to get on the PTP service road just after pedestrian crossing signal) no to enter PTP as number of cars are already very high.
Old 13th August 2015, 18:52   #8833
Distinguished - BHPian

Ran into a major block on Belandur Lake Road today at 6PM. Vehicles backed up from the narrow bridge on Belandur side till almost half the way to Yamlur. The bridge is barely wide enough for 2 cars and now looks like a lot of the company tempo's and mini buses are starting to take this route.

Not a nice place to get stuck, the smell and the sight of the foaming/frothing Belandur lake is a grim reminder and a key representation of all that is wrong with this city.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 19:16   #8834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The first 100 vehicles are the unfortunate 'road-rollers'.
Oh no no. It was not a case of vehicles taking care of 'road rolling' the rubble. Guess I was a little too conservative on specifying the height of the rubble they put. It was high enough that even buses were going around it. It was impossible for any vehicle to go over it.
Old 13th August 2015, 20:02   #8835
BHPian

Quote:
mess is mostly below these but sometimes percolates upwards)
The situation below most flyovers is chaotic. People move at high speeds on the flyover next to More megastore on ORR. But right below the flyover there is complete chaos during peak hours. Everyone is in some kind of hurry especially 2 wheelers who occupy the wrong lane trying to move forward and blocking oncoming vehicles.
Some of these flyovers totally baffle me. The Nagawara flyover is one of them. Why was the flyover not extended a little ahead. There is crazy traffic on the flyover due to the pedestrian crossing and the insane busstop after it. Atleast they should have built a skywalk and moved the bus stop ahead. Sometimes I feel the mind is not applied when making stuff.

Last edited by rohanak1 : 13th August 2015 at 20:03. Reason: spelling mistake
rohanak1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks