Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 13:00   #10321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Something going on below the Bellandur flyover yesterday afternoon around 5pm. I saw a bulldozer breaking the median on the service road between the 2 adjacent flyovers, and a cop standing next to it. Maybe converting the area to a bus bay ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 10th December 2015 at 13:01.
Old 10th December 2015, 14:38   #10322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Was something wrong with the traffic last night? It has been taking me 45 mins to an hour in the past few months from EC to Koramangala when returning back home. Usually around 7 or 7:30 PM. But last night, it just took me 25 mins!

I thought I was dreaming.
Did you take the flyover from ECity to Silk Board?
If yes, then it's cause there was huge jam after Hosa Road signal till Kudlu gate signal. Probably this led to lesser number of vehicles at Silk Board.
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 14:46   #10323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ditto for my hometown "Bhubaneswar"......
The only time I've been to Bhubaneshwar and the surrounding area was in 1999, on a high-school trip bang in the middle of the Supercyclone that year. We did the whole Bhubaneshwar-Puri-Sambalpur circuit (and a lot of other places I can't remember anymore) by road, and the entire countryside was as pristine as anything I've seen in my life. The Puri beach was heavenly, but my Oriya friends now tell me it can give Juhu a run for its filth these days, esp. in Rath Yatra season.

I know a lot of our memories are part truth, part nostalgia, but there's no denying the fact some places we cherish from our younger days, we'll probably find revolting today. Sigh!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:43   #10324
Senior - BHPian

Found some pictures on Facebook regarding an accident involving a Volvo bus today.

Cross posting from the accidents thread:

Quote:
Around 4:30 pm today near Marathahalli skywalk , A rogue driver of BMTC Volvo driving like a maniac mowed down a scooter , Hit an auto and crossed over the road divider ... Not sure about the fatalities ....
Honestly, these Volvo drivers are a nuisance. They have scant regard for rules and are strong proponents of intimidation. ALWAYS on high beam, always bullying people on the road, always on the phone and the list goes on.

Tell them to go on low beam and they will abuse you. Introduce a rule that will get them to mellow down and they will threaten a strike through their unions.

Also, yesterday, near HAL. I was approaching the signal which was red and noticed this guy on an RS200. Both the projectors work only on high beam and obviously, the light was very, very blinding. I asked him:

Quote:
Me: "Sir, please low beam use maadi."
He: Blank stare
Me: "Sir, please use low beam."
Me: "Sir, low beam?"
Me(pointing to the switch on his bike): "Please use low beam."
He: Removes his helmet and timidly asks what I was referring to by "low beam"
I mean, what nonsense? A person can afford a sportsbike but doesn't even know basic terminology! If only there was a way to filter these morons from our roads!

Also, heard a Water Tanker crashed into a two-wheeler at Graphite India signal today. The couple who were on the two-wheeler were killed on the spot. :(

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 10th December 2015 at 19:12.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:11   #10325
Team-BHP Support

Neither saying nor expecting/implying that the scooter should've survived the mauling by the Volvo (it's a scooter, not Superman), but the pictures are a testament to the design/build of commuter scooters nonetheless.

Where is the basic frame/chassis, if one exists at all? I've heard plenty of people say most commuter scooters are just a bunch of plastic bits bolted together to a minimal frame and would disintegrate on moderate/heavy impact, and the pictures above provide some disturbing evidence.

P.S. Look at the twisted bits of the 'fender guards'. They're more than capable of maiming/killing someone even if they survived the initial wreck somehow

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th December 2015 at 20:14.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 22:14   #10326
Senior - BHPian

Encountered another of our TT heroes today.

KA-02-AD-4365

Constantly honking, constantly coming close in attempts to intimidate. Of course, he was on high beam.

Had a good mind to give him a piece of mind. Then realized doing so will just get him all angry and no one wants that. When he stopped at a signal, I tapped on the last window and asked the passenger which company this cab belonged to. It was HP.

Told my sister in law to report this TT to her organization.

Anyone else here working with HP, please let the organization know about this madman who is loose on our roads.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 23:52   #10327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

KA-02-AD-4365

Constantly honking, constantly coming close in attempts to intimidate. Of course, he was on high beam.

Had a good mind to give him a piece of mind. Then realized doing so will just get him all angry and no one wants that. When he stopped at a signal, I tapped on the last window and asked the passenger which company this cab belonged to. It was HP.

Anyone else here working with HP, please let the organization know about this madman who is loose on our roads.

Can you provide details of the time and place? Also, did it have company sticker on it? Elliptical blue with double white "+" sign means it belongs to GBS; white elliptical with double blue "+" means it belongs to CSC (Globalsoft). If you remember the route number also it would be helpful.
Old 11th December 2015, 00:45   #10328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Can you provide details of the time and place? Also, did it have company sticker on it? Elliptical blue with double white "+" sign means it belongs to GBS; white elliptical with double blue "+" means it belongs to CSC (Globalsoft). If you remember the route number also it would be helpful.
Sorry, mate. Don't have any of those details. But will make it a point to keep note of them henceforth.

As for the time, around 9:10PM. Location was Old Airport Road.
Old 11th December 2015, 08:16   #10329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

KA-02-AD-4365

I last traveled in office cab back in 2005, but even then I used to give a mouth full to the cab driver if they were driving rash when I was in the cab.

I am really really surprised why the employee who are inside these TTs, Sumo, Indica and Buses don't them self report the drivers to their company admins. Why are they tolerating this behavior of the driver and also being mute spectator to the inconvenience caused to the public on road.
Remember that these public can be your colleagues, family or friends on the road.

Do these employees think they deserve to reach home first or have they been scared or the moment they sit in the cabs they switch off from reality.

What is it that reason, that thousands have chosen to remain silent. Its beyond my understanding and reasoning.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 08:36   #10330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I last traveled in office cab back in 2005, but even then I used to give a mouth full to the cab driver if they were driving rash when I was in the cab.

I am really really surprised why the employee who are inside these TTs, Sumo, Indica and Buses don't them self report the drivers to their company admins. Why are they tolerating this behavior of the driver and also being mute spectator to the inconvenience caused to the public on road.
Remember that these public can be your colleagues, family or friends on the road.

Do these employees think they deserve to reach home first or have they been scared or the moment they sit in the cabs they switch off from reality.

What is it that reason, that thousands have chosen to remain silent. Its beyond my understanding and reasoning.

Regards
If they cannot caution the driver on the spot , they can at least bring it to the notice of the higher authorities. Let me quote my case
On one occasion the Tavera office cab driver narrowly missed hitting the road divider near Marathahalli bridge. After reaching office, I shot out a mail to the transport coordinator complaining about the rash driving.
He was promptly removed henceforth from that day's return trip on wards.
May be in this case even though they were silent, I suppose they would have sent an email to the authorities concerned.
Even if one were to open his/her mouth, may be he would not bother to listen or he would have slowed down. But again the next day, the same thing repeats.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 09:22   #10331
BHPian

[quote=ashwin.terminat;3867214]Found some pictures on Facebook regarding an accident involving a Volvo bus today.
quote]

The young lady involved in the volvo accident is safe.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50131174.cms

Last edited by Rotorhead : 11th December 2015 at 09:23.
Rotorhead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:10   #10332
BHPian

Slightly OT : I am planning to commute using my scooter for some days of the week. I work in morning shifts. Hence traffic problem is not there. Any advice on how to protect myself from the potholes, bad roads, etc? I tried coming to work one day and my back aches. Is it advisable? The scooter is just lying idle without much use and hence the need to use it. I cant dispose it either.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:16   #10333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any advice on how to protect myself from the potholes, bad roads, etc?
Nothing great, be alert, glance at the rear view mirrors, understand the traffic
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:38   #10334
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT : I am planning to commute using my scooter for some days of the week. I work in morning shifts. Hence traffic problem is not there. Any advice on how to protect myself from the potholes, bad roads, etc?
Morning you have another sort of problem - People, cars, cabs drive up the wrong ways. I am amazed at the impunity they do it. The danger of you being hit and injured is actually higher. In off peak hours it is slightly unnerving to see rash + speed . In Peak hours its just rash, the danger is more to the car/bike rather than a person.

My advice - stick to the car. As for the scooter, use it in the weekends to run errands.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:41   #10335
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT : I am planning to commute using my scooter for some days of the week. I work in morning shifts. Hence traffic problem is not there. Any advice on how to protect myself from the potholes, bad roads, etc? I tried coming to work one day and my back aches. Is it advisable? The scooter is just lying idle without much use and hence the need to use it. I cant dispose it either.
If you are experiencing backache on smooth roads, then you need to change your riding posture. Your back is an important asset than your scooter, damages to back over long run are irreversible. I have experienced back pain in stop-go traffic than driving over the bad potholes. Don't go beyond 40km/hr & stick to the left most lane.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks