Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 10:08   #10291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another good commute this morning - 35 minutes from Indiranagar to near ITPL.
I took around the same time, maybe 40 minutes, after starting at 620am. However; the usual jam was there on approach to Kr Puram station, beside the Kr Puram bridge. This is the biggest bugbear for me everyday. Past this point and even before it, it is a relatively smooth drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Top layer of road surface has been scraped at many places on Hoodi-Big Bazaar section
I too observed this. Looks like a marking point of some sort. They relaid the section from Big Bazaar towards Itpl and possibly beyond, as I turn in to ITPL. It felt nice to drive on smooth tarmac.

Expect some amount of chaos on the way back home. They were digging right in front of Zuri and it was a mess.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th December 2015 at 10:16.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:09   #10292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
What's it with majority of forumers, that you consider 2 Wheeler drivers as a menance, If they too take their single occupancy car like majority of you guys, Think about the havoc.If most of the 4 wheeler drivers here were able to drive left and right like 2 wheelers you would drive. Not getting that luxury doesn't mean you bad mouth the 2 wheelers.Bangalore has always had the highest number of 2 wheelers in the Country.People who come from elsewhere and then crib about 2 wheelers in Bangalore have no idea of this history.
Sorry for the rant, But its sick to constantly see this class racism in a forum about vehicles.
While I respect your opinion,
(1) how does it matter where people come from as long as the main issue is valid (i.e. majority of 2 wheeler riders in Bangalore do not follow traffic rules). I would request your opinion whether you think majority of 2 wheeler riders abide by traffic rules or not irrespective of you or 2 wheeler riders are from Bangalore or from other parts of the country.
(2) Why do we need to look into history? Do you mean unruly 2 wheelers are a historical problem in Bangalore?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:17   #10293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I too observed this. Looks like a marking point of some sort. They relaid the section from Big Bazaar towards Itpl and possibly beyond, as I turn in to ITPL. It felt nice to drive on smooth tarmac.

Expect some amount of chaos on the way back home. They were digging right in front of Zuri and it was a mess.
The BBMP folks should realize that a good road plays an important role in ensuring smooth flow of vehicles. Any vehicle movement hindrance due to bad road/pothole is bound to create a traffic jam due to haphazard vehicular movement.
I wish this learning registers in their grey matter.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:31   #10294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The BBMP folks should realize that a good road plays an important role in ensuring smooth flow of vehicles. Any vehicle movement hindrance due to bad road/pothole is bound to create a traffic jam due to haphazard vehicular movement.
I wish this learning registers in their grey matter.
I felt the same way coming to office. I was prepping myself for the long jams at Varthur and Nallaruhalli road. Surprisingly all those areas were devoid of any waiting times. The reason being, the potholes were covered and a smooth flow of traffic was ensured.
The difference was quite visible at the Nallaruhalli jn., where the road through the village was leveled overnight.
john.gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:38   #10295
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the rant, But its sick to constantly see this class racism in a forum about vehicles.
Please read the below quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
While I respect your opinion,
(1) how does it matter where people come from as long as the main issue is valid (i.e. majority of 2 wheeler riders in Bangalore do not follow traffic rules). I would request your opinion whether you think majority of 2 wheeler riders abide by traffic rules or not irrespective of you or 2 wheeler riders are from Bangalore or from other parts of the country.
(2) Why do we need to look into history? Do you mean unruly 2 wheelers are a historical problem in Bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On a related not, ever since I started taking the bus to work, I have become part of the lowest class on the road-The Pedestrian. Experiened the attitude of 'I am in a fancy car/bike, move out of my way' many times already.
Do I disagree with what you are saying: Absolutely not. I used to see this everyday near KH Double Road Bus Stop, when almost anyone tried to cross the road.

Coming from someone who literally does it all on this road - ride a bike, a cycle, walk and drive (if you call crawling that...) When did this become a class racism? Almost all of us who drive, would have a bike as well.

Bad drivers are bad drivers, period. Unfortunately with the traffic scenario in Bangy, its pretty much only the Bikers or the Auto drivers who can swerve in traffic in an out. I am pretty sure, if it was possible for the cars to do it, they would too - as we have that sort of people here as well.

Example, today, exiting the Indiranagar Flyover (towards EGL) from a distance I see an old man waiting to cross the road, I make a hand signal that I am stopping and indicate to him to cross. What do the others do?
The car behind me honks away to glory, the Bike beside me almost runs him over - I felt I made a mistake of asking him to cross as it was probably even more dangerous to him.

Where is the class divide? The cars behind me honked but stopped, but the bikers continued to zoom and criss-cross him, I purposefully had stropped till he crossed the road, so that people do not overtake me from the left.

Fact is 'most' bikers (of-course there are good ones) have absolutely no idea how to ride. They are in their funny dreamland and completely oblivious to what is happening.
How many people have I stopped and asked - why are you driving like a maniac? Everyone has an excuse, I am in hurry, Yes people jumping Red Lights with their family in tow have also told me so I then proceed to ask - is it your family you are carrying and do you love them? This is usually followed by a frown and I am told to mind my business.

The fact is that, most decent car drivers (see I said decent) literally save probably a bunch of bikers doing stunts on roads everyday from injuring themselves (I do), unfortunately it only acts as a morale booster for the bikers and they do it the next time with even greater impunity.

Sorry for the long post. Peace.
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:42   #10296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
I felt the same way coming to office. I was prepping myself for the long jams at Varthur and Nallaruhalli road. Surprisingly all those areas were devoid of any waiting times. The reason being, the potholes were covered and a smooth flow of traffic was ensured.
The difference was quite visible at the Nallaruhalli jn., where the road through the village was leveled overnight.
Which road was laid?
Old 8th December 2015, 10:49   #10297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Which road was laid?
Don't be so optimistic
Only the good roads get relaid, as far as I've seen. The bad ones are only leveled with sand and stones.
The stretch I mentioned as leveled was this [Nallaruhalli Village Road] Both sides of this road are illegal constructions, there by causing a bottleneck.
john.gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:53   #10298
BHPian

Quote:
What's it with majority of forumers, that you consider 2 Wheeler drivers as a menance, If they too take their single occupancy car like majority of you guys, Think about the havoc.If most of the 4 wheeler drivers here were able to drive left and right like 2 wheelers you would drive. Not getting that luxury doesn't mean you bad mouth the 2 wheelers.Bangalore has always had the highest number of 2 wheelers in the Country.People who come from elsewhere and then crib about 2 wheelers in Bangalore have no idea of this history.
Well I have nothing against two wheeler riders. A two wheeler if ridden well is an ideal commuter vehicle to get around the crowded place like Bangalore quickly and economically. There is no debate about that.
I do not like about two wheeler riders is the rush to get ahead. Again no harm if you got a fast bike and a clear road. But when you try to force your way in from the left or play dare with oncoming traffic its not an ideal situation. Apart from that I have seen many many instances where the two wheelers are causing traffic jams due to mindless overtaking from the left and right and forming many many more parallel lanes causing stoppage of not only themselves but oncoming traffic.
I again reiterate that I have nothing against two wheelers but then I sure do have a lot to say to people riding two wheelers and not using common sense while driving and accounting for safety of themselves and other road users.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:36   #10299
Senior - BHPian

Folks

BEWARE OF AUTO DRIVERS IN BANGALORE:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/50068275.cms
Old 8th December 2015, 11:43   #10300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

BEWARE OF AUTO DRIVERS IN BANGALORE:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/50068275.cms
This seems like a joke. The passenger has to pay for the ride. Why would the driver hand over cash? Passengers don't have have change for 100, how will they have change for 500s?
Old 8th December 2015, 11:48   #10301
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
Don't be so optimistic
Only the good roads get relaid, as far as I've seen. The bad ones are only leveled with sand and stones.
The stretch I mentioned as leveled was this [Nallaruhalli Village Road] Both sides of this road are illegal constructions, there by causing a bottleneck.
Thanks for the information. I am assuming this is the road in front of HDFC ATM/Marigold restaurant/Whitefield Market which was in shambles. Road on both sides of this stretch was good but this one small break in road was causing jam since everyone has to come to almost zero speed. Good that it's leveled. Hopefully it will be tarred soon.
Old 8th December 2015, 12:05   #10302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Few things which are very different here in Bangalore in comparision with Delhi/NCR.
i) There is practically no tar on the roads and whatever is left will soon be dug up by BWSSB et.al. We have mud roads,no roads,whatever left of road and somewhere sometime a tar road which will soon be turned into earlier mentioned roads.As I can see you may be living somewhere in Bangalore East which is the most neglected area of Bangalore in terms of civic amenities.
ii)Get used to the speedbreakers at every nook & corner and most unscientific ones which you will never encounter inside any other proper city leave alone Delhi. We in Bangalore have the world record of speed breakers,back breakers,suspension breakers and infact the cars with good ground clearance also takes a beat sometime or the other. . We don't call it a land of speedbreakers for nothing. We have the world record of having potholes on speedbreakers. Beat that if you can.
iii) The world record for a most number of learner drivers belong to this city. And I am not talking about beginners. There is a breed of drivers in the city which are in perennial learning mode.
iv) You will not see HTV in Delhi City during day time but here you will have to jostle for space inch by inch with HTV's,water tankers, tractors. The most tractors I have ever seen in an Urban area.
iv) But only good thing about Bangalore traffic is that you are less likely to be killed in a road rage by a goon with a revolver and katta
v) Bus drivers/Auto/Cabbies and Bikers are same all across India so absolutely no differences.
vi) Normal people like us (if you can call them so) are really nice in Bangalore considering the traffic mess we are in. They are also suffering like everyone else.

With this horrific review I am in doubt if relocating is such a good idea ! The major reason family wanted to mover over was to avoid pollution and harsh weather condition (both summers & winters )...
Old 8th December 2015, 13:22   #10303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's it with majority of forumers, that you consider 2 Wheeler drivers as a menance, If they too take their single occupancy car like majority of you guys, Think about the havoc. If most of the 4 wheeler drivers here were able to drive left and right like 2 wheelers you would drive. .
Did not understand the last sentence here. Think about what havoc? Driving left and right? Thats more of a two wheeler problem. In a car, I have to wait for a lifetime to change a lane here with non stop vehicles both cars and bikes rushing towards saving that extra 10 seconds of their life. It is that problem of two wheelers zipping left and right that cause most of accidents on the road. Yet, a poor car driver is blamed just because a two wheeler abruptly cut into his lane out of nowhere and before the driver could react, the bike was run over.

Quote:
People who come from elsewhere and then crib about 2 wheelers in Bangalore have no idea of this history.
If you blame that the forum is involving in class racism and so, even you are generalising. You could be a well disciplined driver no doubts on that. But dont assume that all two wheeler riders are innocent angels who are doing good to the traffic. I am a Bangalorean by birth yet I do stand strong on my argument that MAJORITY of the two wheeler riders are careless freaks who just want to jut themselves into every gap on the road. Since my daily commute is recorded on dashcam, I can show you hundreds of such cases every single day. Compared to that, you can see maybe around ten rashly driven cars for the same time interval. In that ten nine will be yellow boards.

Every day, when I pass through old airport near command hospital, the road is wide and empty, with free flowing traffic. I suddenly get a bike with a well dressed guy in my lane out of nowhere. He has two empty lanes to the side, and is free to drive at 40 kmph without hassle. Yet he wants the middle or the right lane. What should I do? I patiently have to follow this guy, seeing everyone else zip past in the other lanes. Changing lanes is again a difficult thing. By this time, there will be a long queue of vehicles behind me honking and forcing me to do something.

Not only this, I can give you much more examples of why we here have lots of complaints on two wheelers. As I said, if you are a disciplined rider, it doesnt mean that everyone is the same, which also means you shouldnt actually be offended about the forum complaining about two wheelers. I too ride my dio and I can safely assure that I wont be a cause for complain on the road.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 14:55   #10304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am a Bangalorean by birth yet I do stand strong on my argument that MAJORITY of the two wheeler riders are careless freaks who just want to jut themselves into every gap on the road. Since my daily commute is recorded on dashcam, I can show you hundreds of such cases every single day. Compared to that, you can see maybe around ten rashly driven cars for the same time interval. In that ten nine will be yellow boards.
A small example of the well behaved 4 wheelers. If you get to any toll booth entering into Bangalore during weekends, you will notice 2 wheelers have a single lane to go and rest are all for 4+ wheelers.Do you not notice private cars competing with each other on who cuts off whom just before the toll entry. So its a human thing, nothing to do with 2 or 4 wheelers. We are all equally guilty.No use hanging the 2 wheeler guy for it.
werfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 15:43   #10305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

With this horrific review I am in doubt if relocating is such a good idea ! The major reason family wanted to mover over was to avoid pollution and harsh weather condition (both summers & winters )...
Bangalore is better in every sense in comparison to Delhi/NCR except traffic that also depends on your perspective. You may not require to travel those absolute distances which you may do it in NCR/Delhi. But bangalore traffic will ensure that you will end up spending roughly the same time for even quarter of the same commuting distance. The weather is always awsome and Bangalore summers are like October heat in Delhi and Winters are like early morning dip in early November and Feb end. Just my thoughts And yeah I may be killed for this statement but would stick my neck out and say that Bangalore is yet to reach the pollution levels of Delhi/NCR partly due to its altitude advantage and partly due to less population.

Last edited by adi_gt : 8th December 2015 at 15:46.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks