Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 09:21   #10366
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

My morning commute from Indiranagar to Big Bazaar junction was not bad taking 40 minutes.
However, I noticed that the stretch from Prestige shanthiniketan apartment gate-Zuri-Hoodi (on the other side of the road) had the GAIL work in progress and one lane has disappeared due to the digging (and filled with mud where work is complete), expect evening commute to be a crawl on this stretch today.

Last edited by NPV : 14th December 2015 at 09:22.
Old 14th December 2015, 10:00   #10367
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar to the #WhitefieldRising protest, #ORRSarjapurRising protest is planned for this Friday between 12-2PM. Below is the poster for the same (Apparently there are some permissions pending, post which a more detailed plan will be shared). If you work out of Ecospace or near the other locations mentioned, good opportunity to join in.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-protest-poster_dec-15_opt-01-revised.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 10:11   #10368
Team-BHP Support

Today, a little bit of fun under the Intel flyover.

The service lane is one way. A truck and some of the self righteous Adarsh Habitat residents were trying to breach the one way. Along came Intel's chartered BMTC Volvo buses and other traffic who blocked them in.

The cleaner goto out to try stopping the trafficto allow them to pass. The BMTC drivers got down and threatened to belt the trucker and the cleaner. Meanwhile, all the residents reversed and drove away.

BMTC - the law breakers and occassionally, the law enforcers
ajmat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 10:55   #10369
Senior - BHPian

Its surprising to see Ecospace being clear of traffic jams in the morning. Just some policeman directing vehicles to not put their nose in to change lanes at the last moment could have such impact!
Hope they do something for evening traffic too. I dont see the pedestrian footbridge progressing since people crossing the road can have a big impact on flow of traffic.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:09   #10370
BHPian

BTP's Very good initiative in enforcing lane discipline. Finally, they woke up.

Source
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 15:55   #10371
Distinguished - BHPian

Road in front of Zuri dug up half way when going towards KR Puram. Expect a huge bottleneck in the evening. Avoid this road as far as possible.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 16:29   #10372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
BTP's Very good initiative in enforcing lane discipline. Finally, they woke up.

Source
See we have a saying in Hindi " kharbooje ke dekh ke kharbooja rang badalta hai" ,or in otherwords "birds of same feather flock together". I hope people catch on this lane discipline bandwagon. I have been trying my bit for so many months now but nobody cares on crowded roads,open roads,semi open roads. The first practical chance anybody gets on Bangalore roads to flout this rule is used up.These yellow boards are the worst culprit. I have seen instances when they drive on two lanes continuously to make sure they have a chance to overtake or zigzag on the third lane. I don't know if you have experienced off late that even if you try to drive slow on the slowest lane (30ish-40ish km/hr- lets say on a Sunday evening at around 9pm on ORR), they tend to ensure that they will occupy your lane after overtaking you, if an obstruction comes 100m ahead. . I have given them the whole road to use but still they will zig zag in your path. Another nuisance these days is these cars and bikes with LOUD HOOTERS and EXHAUSTS. They tend to come very slowly behind you and suddenly speed away after cutting your path and leaving you perplexed and gasping for breath.Enough of the rant for today I guess . I am begining to think and made to realise that it's easier to drive fast and difficult to drive sanely in Bangalore.
Old 14th December 2015, 17:18   #10373
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard that U turn at Donnakundi while coming from Marathahalli side is blocked. Instead you can take U turn ahead of the signal near Rainbow hospital or cross the signal and take the U turn near Bagmane park.

How useful is this move? Can anyone who travel regularly on this route comment.
Old 14th December 2015, 17:29   #10374
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Heard that U turn at Donnakundi while coming from Marathahalli side is blocked. Instead you can take U turn ahead of the signal near Rainbow hospital or cross the signal and take the U turn near Bagmane park.
This was posted earlier here
The place is called Dodda Nekkundhi
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 17:31   #10375
BHPian

Quote:

A median has been put up on Total mall junction, and that makes this junction signal free.

Two new gaps in the median have been opened up, one near Rainbow hospital and another near Bagmane tech park. You can clearly spot this change in Google maps. Red traffic indication near the new U-turns, and much much faster traffic at Total mall junction.

There was minimal traffic when I crossed it this morning @10:30. Looked like this change was serving its purpose. But for how long, no one knows. Signal free U-turns on a very busy road like ORR have caused problems before. And vehicles slowing down in fast lanes to take a U, when not everyone is aware of the new gap in median, can lead to trouble.

Last edited by black_rider : 14th December 2015 at 17:33. Reason: Typo
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 17:57   #10376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure how useful this would be, but this was necessary since the flyover work has started there. I stay very close and today was the first time I saw smooth flowing traffic for a Monday morning. I know the bottleneck has shifted, but at least the traffic was moving continuously.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 20:05   #10377
Team-BHP Support

The new U-turns are downright dangerous (esp. the one in front of Rainbow Hospital) as these are signal-free and our intelligentsia doesn't believe in watching where they're going. People swerve brazenly into oncoming traffic causing numerous near-misses, and the EMC campus side median break isn't far enough away from the signal to be of any real benefit.

I don't know if this is meant to be a permanent solution, but this has the making of some nasty chaos. Noticed all this during evening rush hour today, and a few colleagues who live in the Mahadevapura area mentioned crossing the Total Mall Jn. on weekends is a worse experience than when the signal existed.
Old 14th December 2015, 22:26   #10378
Senior - BHPian

The divider at the Marathahalli Bridge and ORR junction had been broken this morning.

I am not sure what purpose this is meant to serve. But, I did move quicker through Varthur Road today than I have in many, many months now. Primarily down to the fact that the U-Turn at Brand Factory was no longer used as much.

Quote:

I remember reading that this new arrangement is to facilitate construction of a flyover at Doddanekundi.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th December 2015 at 23:51. Reason: merging posts. Kindly use the edit option when replying within 30minutes. Thanks.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 08:39   #10379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The divider at the Marathahalli Bridge and ORR junction had been broken this morning.
I am not sure what purpose this is meant to serve. But, I did move quicker through Varthur Road today than I have in many, many months now. Primarily down to the fact that the U-Turn at Brand Factory was no longer used as much.
Not sure what they are trying to do, but they had to depute an unfortunate traffic police cop to manage the maniacs at 6:30 am.

People coming from Bellandur side, like old times, climbed up the Marathalli bridge and tried to take the right turn towards Kundanahalli, instead of taking the U-turn at Old Brand Factory.

The traffic cop had to shooo away each cabbie. My office cabbie also tried to sneak in, I shouted at him pointing to the cop, and the cabbie took the proper U-turn at the old brand factory.

The junction was closed due to all these chaos. Not sure why it has been re-opened !!
Old 15th December 2015, 08:43   #10380
BHPian

Bengaluru Traffic Police's Drunk and Drive awareness campaign. This was at Jayanagar 9th block. They had thrown red colour all over the car to mimick blood. A good initiative I think.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450149137.057488.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450149150.762481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks