Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 16:49   #11116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post

Thanks!!
I will consider Mega and Meru. I tried KIAS, but from the time estimates on the websites, only KIAS 9 suit my time.

The last time I tries Ola/Uber, there weren't any available at 5 am. I don't want to take that risk again
Good choice.

Ola / Uber / TFS are jokes for airport commute. You never know when they will show 'No Cabs Available' or '5x Surcharge'.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 16:54   #11117
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Good choice.

Ola / Uber / TFS are jokes for airport commute. You never know when they will show 'No Cabs Available' or '5x Surcharge'.
Never tried Uber for Airport commute, but have had decent experiences with Ola even at odd hours for advance bookings. I never book last minute, too much stress and wanton over-charging.

I always book at least TWO different operators, then take the one that calls first for directions and cancel the other(s). Also helps that my area's 'unofficial' odd-hours gathering hub for airport cabs is pretty close to my home. I can usually pick whichever suits my fancy on a given day!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st March 2016 at 16:56.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 17:45   #11118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Never tried Uber for Airport commute, but have had decent experiences with Ola even at odd hours for advance bookings. I never book last minute, too much stress and wanton over-charging.

I always book at least TWO different operators
I have used TFS quite a few times for airport transfer earlier and never had any issues. But it seems, after OLA acquisition, number of TFS cabs reduced.

I keep a 30 mins buffer time. In case cab does not show up, I have couple of friends in our apartment complex, who can drop me/us at HAL Main Gate bus stop to catch KIAS bus. You may also have an option to take a cab from the bus stop as I had seen cabs there waiting for airport passengers.

Last edited by airbus : 21st March 2016 at 17:47. Reason: Minor edit.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 19:02   #11119
Distinguished - BHPian

In my back of beyond on the outskirts of BLR, Meru is better. Ola and Uber simply ditch usually Meru comes through maybe 15 minutes late. So definitely keep minimum 30 minutes 'extra' grace on top of the normal grace time.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 19:06   #11120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have a similar experience with Ola for airport drops. Except for one instance when I tried a last minute booking, there haven't been an issue with cab availability. The worst experiences have been with Meru, which send an sms 30 minutes before the scheduled pick-up that no cabs are available, despite booking a day in advance.

Quote:
I always book at least TWO different operators, then take the one that calls first for directions and cancel the other(s)
This is my modus operandi too.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 19:37   #11121
BHPian

Got messages from colleagues that Silkboard Jam is upto Agara Flyover. People who left white field at 5:15 PM cleared silk board 10 mins ago.

Anyone have any update? I am planning to leave white field at 8:15 to beat the Jam hopefully

Regards
Old 21st March 2016, 20:26   #11122
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Got messages from colleagues that Silkboard Jam is upto Agara Flyover. People who left white field at 5:15 PM cleared silk board 10 mins ago.

Anyone have any update? I am planning to leave white field at 8:15 to beat the Jam hopefully

Regards
This is a daily affair. Typically the traffic backlog starts at 5 pm and extends upto HSR BDA flyover. Right now Google maps is showing the same.
Old 21st March 2016, 21:07   #11123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

Daily affair indeed. After five the backlog reaches the Agara Flyover(one near BDA complex) Hence I always exit ORR here and go towards Madiwala. If I continue straight, it will take a minimum of twenty minutes to clear silk board.
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:15   #11124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an early morning flight (6 am). Only KIAS-9 is there at that time. I don't want to take risks with only one bus. What is the best way to reach airport at that time?
I aero-commuted between Bangalore and Mumbai for about 18 months a few years back. Based on the experience from that time (usually outbound flight was a 6 AM departure and return was a 11 PM arrival):

- KIAS is the best among various options. My route is #4 (HAL to airport) with a bus every half-hour most of the time. The buses depart punctually and the commute to airport that early in the morning (this was before the elevated road from Hebbal was inaugurated) was an hour almost exactly. The only downside was one time when BMTC/KSRTC staff went on strike; all trips that day were cancelled and many people were stranded.

An option could be to take whatever mode available till Mekhri Circle or Hebbal and take the first KIAS service that arrives.

- If the extra hassle and cost is acceptable, self-drive in my view is even better. The long-term parking is still available (at least, till a few months back). You are not at the mercy of service providers, at least. I have had only one problem, which was that when I was out of town a thunderstorm happened, a tree or something uprooted and my car windshield developed a crack. That is the downside - your car is exposed to the elements.

- Meru/Mega etc. are largely hit and miss. They sometimes don't turn up (has happened to me), could have breakdowns (has happened to a friend, near Kannur, no less) or could be seized by MVI (hearsay only). On the return, at peak hours the taxi line at KIAL can get really long (45-60 minutes waiting).

- Uber/Ola are very dependable for the outbound trip. Even if there are no cabs immediately, there would be one soon enough. In fact, the most recent update of Uber allows drivers to pick the next fare even while they are still driving the current one (you get a message, "driver will pick you up after dropping off passenger to a location near you"). Return - I don't know, since I've never tried it. Is it even possible?

So, if reliability is the deciding factor, I'd say: Self Drive > KIAS > Uber > Meru.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:30   #11125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last time I tries Ola/Uber, there weren't any available at 5 am. I don't want to take that risk again
I had to leave at 3AM to catch 7AM flight. I tried firing up the app at 3AM a day before. I found few Olas, but no Uber. I did pre-book on Ola for the next day (which I later found doesn't help since drivers get the notification 15 minutes before the ride). On the day of travel, I found few Olas and Merus but went with Ola. I had a friend standby, in case if I couldn't find any ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So, if reliability is the deciding factor, I'd say: Self Drive > KIAS > Uber > Meru.
Based on my experience in BTM Layout, for early morning travel to airport, the reliability would be, Drive > Meru > Ola > Uber.

I think BMTC KIA service starts at 4AM. Hence I left out that option. Othertimes good if you can haul the luggage to the bus stop
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:21   #11126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I think BMTC KIA service starts at 4AM.
The high-volume routes (4, 9 etc.) run all night. Timetable is here:

https://www.mybmtc.com/airportservices
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:37   #11127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Return - I don't know, since I've never tried it. Is it even possible?
I got an email from Uber in January that read:
Quote:
Airport to home at only ₹549
FUSS FREE AND AFFORDABLE

Your ride from the Airport to anywhere in Bangalore just got cheaper! Today, we're introducing flat fares for all rides starting from Kempegowda International Airport. Whether you're headed to Koramangala, Whitefield or Electronic City, your fare will remain the same.
We've also made your pickups at the airport a lot easier. Once you land, fire up your Uber app, tap 'Set Pickup Location' and choose the pickup point you want your driver to find you at - it's that simple. Nothing else changes, your Uber is still the most affordable ride in Bangalore. You can always take a ride for as low as ₹7/KM*, anywhere in the city!

HOW TO REQUEST
Once you collect your bags, fire up your Uber app and tap 'Set Pickup Location'
You will then be able to scroll down and select the airport pick up point that you want your driver to meet you at
Request a ride, head to the pick up point and meet your driver—it takes just seconds
With flat fares, there's no need to estimate your fare. Get into your Uber and you're on your way - no stress, no hassle!
I have not tried though.
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:39   #11128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I got an email from Uber in January that read:
Quote:
Airport to home at only ₹549
FUSS FREE AND AFFORDABLE

Your ride from the Airport to anywhere in Bangalore just got cheaper! Today, we're introducing flat fares for all rides starting from Kempegowda International Airport. Whether you're headed to Koramangala, Whitefield or Electronic City, your fare will remain the same.
We've also made your pickups at the airport a lot easier. Once you land, fire up your Uber app, tap 'Set Pickup Location' and choose the pickup point you want your driver to find you at - it's that simple. Nothing else changes, your Uber is still the most affordable ride in Bangalore. You can always take a ride for as low as ₹7/KM*, anywhere in the city!

HOW TO REQUEST
Once you collect your bags, fire up your Uber app and tap 'Set Pickup Location'
You will then be able to scroll down and select the airport pick up point that you want your driver to meet you at
Request a ride, head to the pick up point and meet your driver—it takes just seconds
With flat fares, there's no need to estimate your fare. Get into your Uber and you're on your way - no stress, no hassle!
I have not tried though.
Wow ! This is news to me ! I remember paying some Rs.1400 for a trip that shouldn't have costed more than Rs.900 on Uber / OLA. Ofcourse, I foolishly had accepted the surcharge fare, instead of choosing a Meru / Mega.

Now since this Rs.549 offer is very exciting, will surely try it next time.

The only pain is that Mobile Network at KIAL is ZERO. I don't know if it is some nexus between taxi aggregrators & airport employees, but Uber / OLA / TFS just doesn't work within the terminal or at the taxi pick up point.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:53   #11129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Now since this Rs.549 offer is very exciting, will surely try it next time.
Do we know if this amount of Rs. 549 includes the toll or not? Lowest fare I paid while travelling from airport to home (near HAL airport) by TFS was Rs. 486 (after Rs. 50 discount) + Rs. 120 toll, on 6 Oct 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2016, 16:54   #11130
BHPian

Volvo breakdown in front of j p Morgan towards marathahalli. Jam has already extended till new horizon
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed