Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 05:58   #11101
BHPian

Thanks a bunch daretodream & ampere, appreciate it!
Old 21st March 2016, 06:46   #11102
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Worst part, they probably don't even have the money they're pretending to commit to these projects. Budgets have long been nothing more than a pissing match, and past CMs have gone on record boasting how their next budget will hit the 1 lakh crore mark (extrapolate to whatever is a fancy large number now).

They then indulge in all sorts of revenue collection shenanigans (legalizing illegal construction, hiking taxes to absurd levels, the list goes on) to somehow meet their targets, but rarely manage to draw level. A lot of municipal projects stay incomplete for years either because the contractor runs away after getting paid (political nexus), or the honest ones down tools after prolonged non-payment.

Most of this stuff will never get off the proposal papers, and the few that do with either remain incomplete for ages, or be redundant by the time they're operational.
Earlier the state govt milked money from the non KA registered vehicles by tweaking the motor vehicle rule from 11 months to 30 days. This was a major source of income. Now that the HC has ruled against this rule, I do not know how the govt is going to generate revenue to develop Bangalore.
Old 21st March 2016, 08:09   #11103
BHPian

A lorry has broken down on the left lane on top of the EC expressway. Stay to the right or avoid the road.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:05   #11104
BHPian

Couple of months back Hope Farm circle - ITPL main road which was in very bad shape saw fresh coat of tarmac. Now Gas pipeline work is going on. Some places they are even digging road. Watch out, dust again!

Any other "smilies"? That 'Frustrated', 'DeadHorse', etc emojis are over used atleast here in this very long thread.

Last edited by Nempuguru : 21st March 2016 at 10:07.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 13:29   #11105
BHPian

Off topic: I didn't see a thread on this anywhere. Instead of creating a new thread, I'm asking the question here because this thread is very active.

I have an early morning flight (6 am). Only KIAS-9 is there at that time. I don't want to take risks with only one bus. What is the best way to reach airport at that time? I assume this would be a airport taxi. Last time I tried, I couldn't get Ola or Uber at that time. Is Meru dependable? Is there any other taxi service that I can depend on? If nothing else, I can take my car and park in the long term parking. Is the long term parking lot still available?
Old 21st March 2016, 14:02   #11106
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
I have an early morning flight (6 am). Only KIAS-9 is there at that time. I don't want to take risks with only one bus. What is the best way to reach airport at that time? I assume this would be a airport taxi. Last time I tried, I couldn't get Ola or Uber at that time. Is Meru dependable? Is there any other taxi service that I can depend on? If nothing else, I can take my car and park in the long term parking. Is the long term parking lot still available?
Mega cabs is a good option in Bangalore, found them quite reliable unlike Meru.

If you're traveling for just 2-3 days you can even consider long-term parking at the airport, I know people who've used it and they were quite happy.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:15   #11107
BHPian

One option you might want to consider, and I've used this multiple times over the years, is to go to mekhri circle. Doesn't matter what time it is, doesn't matter if you didn't get any Ola or Uber or the Meru guy canceled on you at the last minute. There are always vehicles available, to travel alone or share a ride with to the airport. At any given point of time.
If you could have someone drop you off at mekhri circle, it'll be a simple job for you to reach the airport.
shreyascashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:17   #11108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic: I didn't see a thread on this anywhere. Instead of creating a new thread, I'm asking the question here because this thread is very active.

Mega Cabs. Rs.700 flat rate drop to Airport, from anywhere in Bangalore.

Here is the thread where you can find my review as well as suggestions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3925711

EDIT: Which area you are starting from ? Assuming that your check in time will be 5:15 AM max, a 45 km journey takes 50 mins from my house at this hour. You can plan accordingly.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 21st March 2016 at 14:19.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:42   #11109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I stay close to Hebbal, so I'm can reach Airport in ~25 min. I'll check out Mega cabs.
Old 21st March 2016, 14:59   #11110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay close to Hebbal, so I'm can reach Airport in ~25 min.
From Hebbal, you can have number of KIAS bus options to reach the Airport. Check details here: https://www.mybmtc.com/airportservices

I had personally taken KIAS-4 as early as 3.00 am from it's origin at HAL Main Gate.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:08   #11111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
.....the state govt milked money from the non KA registered vehicles by tweaking the motor vehicle rule from 11 months to 30 days. This was a major source of income.......
Actually, it wasn't.

The numbers are posted somewhere on the Drive Without Borders thread, but the money made from that drive was less than a percent of the state's annual RTO revenue targets. Hardly enough for any practical purpose.

They've been trying their darnedest to rake up money from every illegal and/or unethical channel they can think of (legalizing illegal structures, approving construction on protected lake beds and catchment areas etc.) but it's all peanuts compared to the huge monsters (BBMP, BDA, others) they need to continuously feed.

There just isn't enough money, except tall claims on the budget documents.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:34   #11112
BHPian

Quote:

My advice - Assuming travel time to airport with a cab is 1 hour (adjust the booking time accordingly):
- Book Mega online with their Rs 700 offer at 3:30 AM (They give confirmation of the driver only half an hour prior to journey)
- Book Meru at 3:55 AM for backup using their Android/ Iphone app. Cancel this if the Mega booking is confirmed. If the Mega cab does not turn up you have Meru to fall back upon. You can cancel the Meru booking 20 mins prior to journey.

In the worst case you will still reach the airport by 5 AM.
Typically Mega is reliable but i have also faced a situation when once the cab was not assigned as there was none available in the area. Imagine my stress then. Thankfully i follow the above procedure for every journey to the airport and that very time Meru saved me.

Uber and Ola have very few cabs available at such early morning times and surge pricing applies most of the cases during such times.
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:44   #11113
Senior - BHPian

Last week there was news on 'Open Street' in BTM Layout. They are waiting for school exams to get over. Just like is HSR, they will block all exits, stop all private vehicles and allow only BMTC. Since exams get over by this moth, expect this day to be sometime in April.
I hope by this exercise,
1) Pollution comes down atleast for a day
2) A kind of rehearsal of the roads to take for private vehicles, when metro works start between Silkboard & Jayadeva
Old 21st March 2016, 16:37   #11114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Couple of months back Hope Farm circle - ITPL main road which was in very bad shape saw fresh coat of tarmac. Now Gas pipeline work is going on. Some places they are even digging road. Watch out, dust again!
Between Hope farm junction and ITPL, they have "placed" the pipes on the road on piles of gunny sacks filled with sand. Near upcoming Brigade office place a junction box kind of structure has been made. End result, traffic backed up till Hope farm junction. The stretch took 25 min to cover today morning.

The road received a long needed "touch" of tar just a month or so ago. Footpath work is still in progress. And here comes the next agency all ready to dig a decent road and make life hell for motorists.

Btw these pipes have been lying all along Whitefield main road for months (maybe even a year) awaiting the big dig - Isn't it common sense for the agencies to realize this. Well done GAIL/BBMP. I guess once the damage is done, we will have to wait for the next promise that Bangalore will be pothole free by some xx/yy date for us to get some relief.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:46   #11115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
Thanks!!
I will consider Mega and Meru. I tried KIAS, but from the time estimates on the websites, only KIAS 9 suit my time.

The last time I tries Ola/Uber, there weren't any available at 5 am. I don't want to take that risk again

Most Viewed