Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:34   #7981
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
The road that connects Kasturi Nagar to Old Madras Road, running parallel to Bayyappanahalli railway line is being tarred.
Just a few minutes after the work completed yesterday morning, I drove on this road and this is how it looked. I haven't seen it so empty on a weekday morning in a very long time
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ngef-road.jpg
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:48   #7982
Team-BHP Support

Today, the Hon Prime Minister decided to pass by my house

10 am . Tempo Traveller belinging to Police lurking outside my house

5.30 Pm . Go for a hair cut. At Richmond Circle, People hanging around awaiting the PM. Plenty of police. People not allowed to linger on pavement. All parked cars in complexes were removed. Traffic was flowing. BSF contingent stationed at end of Lavelle Road

6.00 PM - Hair cut over, I walked back to Richmond Circle. Am not allowed to cross road. Told to tuen left. I somehow get to Petrol Bunk. All roads blocked with barriers.

I managed to a cross.

Police constable now starts directing traffic with a flourish.

An Accent Police car comes first, then a couple of Safaris, the a Safari with jamming equipment followed by the BMW 7 and a couple of Safaris and an Innova. It was a relatively discrete cavalcade.

Then an army of Tempo Travellers came through.

Interestingly enough, only the Safari jammer and the BMW 7 used indicators!

Two min later, barriers were lifted and it was business as usual
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 13:45   #7983
BHPian

With honorable PM still in town for the BJP National Executive meeting, how's the traffic flow to Airport and City Railway Station?
Old 4th April 2015, 15:47   #7984
BHPian

It is a breeze with all the cops every 30ft. Poor cops they are just outdone. What a waste of time. I am there around the old airport for the last three hrs and they are just standing. All the time lost here in these exercises could actually be put to better use of general public
Old 6th April 2015, 00:03   #7985
Senior - BHPian

I knew our traffic conditions were bad.

But never expected they were this bad!

6th most painful city for traffic congestion in the world!

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...fic-congestion

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 6th April 2015 at 00:05.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 08:22   #7986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I knew our traffic conditions were bad.

But never expected they were this bad!

6th most painful city for traffic congestion in the world!

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...fic-congestion
That is a 2012 article. Their focus is on airport road and maybe that has eased up. But other areas has gotten worse. Actually I am surprised that we are at 6th - we must be in top 3.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:01   #7987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I knew our traffic conditions were bad. But never expected they were this bad!
Well I for one think that Bangalore is easily among the worst in India when it comes to traffic. There are 2 reasons for that, one which this article never mentions.

Now I do agree that this city grew too fast for its own good, easily accessible peaceful areas suddenly became violently chaotic. Poor infrastructure though isn't an excuse today, most of the roads albeit narrow are adequately smooth enough. The infrastructure which companies want for their own reasons are probably 6 lane approach roads which for now is a pipe dream. The main reason for my rating for this city as the worst to drive in anywhere is the total lack of driving ethics & almost no adherence to traffic laws by public transport/2-wheelers/pedestrians.

Each vehicle without realizing that they are part of a transport ecosystem, just move about depending on their agenda. In a hurry? Oh the red signal doesn't count then. Leisure ride on a Monday? No problem, let the vehicles behind me change lanes & overtake while I hog the rightmost lane. Looking for passengers? Autos/Ola's literally park their vehicle in the middle lane. Found passengers? Pedal/handle to the metal driving. The city at large has little conscience when it comes to the road. Jaywalking is rampant, so is divider jumping, sudden heart-in-mouth signal jumping, & free for all rumble when there is no overhead camera present, almost like the signal doesn't exist. Some bus drivers drive purely on guesswork, I've seen them take U-turns missing vehicles by a few mm. What would happen after an accident afterall? They jump out and vanish into thin air.

Since traffic enforcers are more interested in catching major violations like sun-film ban & expired emission certificate, minor violations like all of the above aren't even noticed.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 09:19   #7988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Well I for one think that Bangalore is easily among the worst in India when it comes to traffic. There are 2 reasons for that, one which this article never mentions.

Now I do agree that this city grew too fast for its own good, easily accessible peaceful areas suddenly became violently chaotic. Poor infrastructure though isn't an excuse today, most of the roads albeit narrow are adequately smooth enough. The infrastructure which companies want for their own reasons are probably 6 lane approach roads which for now is a pipe dream. The main reason for my rating for this city as the worst to drive in anywhere is the total lack of driving ethics & almost no adherence to traffic laws by public transport/2-wheelers/pedestrians.

Each vehicle without realizing that they are part of a transport ecosystem, just move about depending on their agenda. In a hurry? Oh the red signal doesn't count then. Leisure ride on a Monday? No problem, let the vehicles behind me change lanes & overtake while I hog the rightmost lane. Looking for passengers? Autos/Ola's literally park their vehicle in the middle lane. Found passengers? Pedal/handle to the metal driving. The city at large has little conscience when it comes to the road. Jaywalking is rampant, so is divider jumping, sudden heart-in-mouth signal jumping, & free for all rumble when there is no overhead camera present, almost like the signal doesn't exist. Some bus drivers drive purely on guesswork, I've seen them take U-turns missing vehicles by a few mm. What would happen after an accident afterall? They jump out and vanish into thin air.

Since traffic enforcers are more interested in catching major violations like sun-film ban & expired emission certificate, minor violations like all of the above aren't even noticed.
If you compare Bangalore to Chennai, my observations go like this

1. Traffic management is far better in chennai compared to bangalore
2. The Main roads are much wider than the ones you see in bangalore
3. Alternate means of public transport like Suburban rail, MRTS that is absent in bangalore.
4. I observed on the GST in chennai, we do have skwalks with escalators for the public that is lacking in bangalore.

People still prefer bangalore to chennai only because of the weather. Sorry to say this over the years the weather in bangalore has taken a severe beating. It is no longer pleasant as it used to be.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 10:18   #7989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If you compare Bangalore to Chennai, my observations go like this...
over the years the weather in bangalore has taken a severe beating. It is no longer pleasant as it used to be.
Agree with everything you stated. The roads in Bangalore were never meant to take the kind of traffic that we have today, and city planners and the authorities never even imagined the consequences of a burgeoning population on the city's roads. Instead of fixing the problem at the root, everyone's going behind the 'swalpa adjust maadi' bandwagon, which includes bending or ignoring rules. About the weather, air-conditioners were a rare sight in Bangalore, but these days it's slowly becoming a necessity for small establishments and even houses.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 11:31   #7990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Agree with everything you stated. The roads in Bangalore were never meant to take the kind of traffic that we have today, and city planners and the authorities never even imagined the consequences of a burgeoning population on the city's roads.
True. Bengaluru developed too fast, and in the process it killed itself :(. Where as cities like Chennai and Mumbai are "evolved" cities. They were metros even during the days of the Raj, had slowly developed to bigger cities over a period of time. And this also ensured that good eco-system for public transport etc. also grew in a steady pace. Bengaluru never did get such a luxury of time. Yes, the weather is also going bad to worse. 30 deg. Charlie when I type this, and the summer is just setting in.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:54   #7991
Senior - BHPian

Today there was a jam on Kadubeesanahalli bridge and vehicles coming on to the bridge from service road and in the middle exit were standing still. I was on the service road on the left lane and as usual couple of cars just move on the right lane. A lorry also follows them and I block him with my door open. Got down and told him how will vehicles move from the other side. He says he didn't know it was a two way road and he thought it was a one way service road.

Sure there are no signs put up to indicate two way traffic but still he was just using an excuse and showed the others who had jammed the right lane and asked if they are useless guys. I had to say yes they are.

Regarding Bengaluru weather, historical data shows very minor change in heat during summer (which is all of 2 months with rain making it cooler for some days). Residing in concrete structures, glass facades, too much of roads etc with no shade whatsoever will naturally make it warm. They also absorb the heat give it out during night. I reside on ground floor of my home during summer and with tree shade find no difficulty sleeping with just a fan.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:16   #7992
Senior - BHPian

I was stuck on the service road next to the Kadubisanahalli underpass for close to an hour today.

Depart from Padmanabhanagar 9:20am. Arrive New Horizon College 10:40am. Get to my desk in Prestige Tech Park 11:40am
I should have abandoned my car and walked the last kilometre!
Old 6th April 2015, 18:05   #7993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I was stuck on the service road next to the Kadubisanahalli underpass for close to an hour today.
Any idea what caused this?
I saw the block from my office located in Cessna tech park. Worried if the same will be repeated in the evening too.
Old 7th April 2015, 07:54   #7994
BHPian

Yesterday left from Whitefield at 8 PM and reached Gottigere at 10:15 PM. Vydehi Hospital to Graphite Signal was jam packed, then Marathahalli, Eco Space and then BTM Layout.

I could never find out why there was a jam, as usual. These traffic jams and road condition is now taking a toll on my back

No Traffic issues today morning from Gottigere to Whitefield, except for a truck on the ring road. God I forgot the spot where it was broken down

Regards
Old 7th April 2015, 09:31   #7995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Yesterday left from Whitefield at 8 PM and reached Gottigere at 10:15 PM. Vydehi Hospital to Graphite Signal was jam packed, then Marathahalli, Eco Space and then BTM Layout.

I could never find out why there was a jam, as usual. These traffic jams and road condition is now taking a toll on my back

No Traffic issues today morning from Gottigere to Whitefield, except for a truck on the ring road. God I forgot the spot where it was broken down

Regards
There were two breakdowns
1. Broken down water tanker on the right lane in Iblur stretch
2. Bus with a flat tyre near Salarpuria softzone on the left lane

Both were causing slowing moving traffic around 8:00am today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks