Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 06:42   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
So, did the regulations at whitefiled work? I felt it worked a bit, since the traffic at Marthahalli ORR was considerably less today
I am bit skeptical about the success. Reasons,
1) Graphite signal is not eliminated. Still there signal for folks turning right from Brookefield. What is done is straight from Hoodi to Brookefield is stopped. Anyway that didn't have much traffic. Probably will shave 2 minutes off 20 minutes wait at Graphite signal.

2) The free left turn from EPIP to Brookefield is very narrow. Very difficult for buses to negotiate the turn. The road is broken badly at the turn. SO to take this turn, there is almost a queue of 1Km.

Lets see how it pan out today.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 08:30   #7232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
So, did the regulations at whitefiled work? I felt it worked a bit, since the traffic at Marthahalli ORR was considerably less today
As of 4:30pm yesterday the only bottle neck was the signal at Big Bazaar while returning home from Gr Tech Park. Was a breeze all the way from office to KR Puram. A drive which would usually take nothing less than 50 mins from office to Tin factory on a regular day, was done in under 25 minutes.

I think it's too premature to say the change is a success, but then keeping my fingers crossed. Hope this continues and they (BTP) iron out any upcoming problems. I am sure this would have worked much better if BBMP had made an effort to provide us with better roads.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 09:20   #7233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
As of 4:30pm yesterday the only bottle neck was the signal at Big Bazaar while returning home from Gr Tech Park. Was a breeze all the way from office to KR Puram. A drive which would usually take nothing less than 50 mins from office to Tin factory on a regular day, was done in under 25 minutes.
RJ, did you take the new route i.e. left at Hoodi circle towards Graphite jn. and then right (Gopalan school road) and left at ABB jn?
And how was the scene at KR Puram station jn?
Old 25th November 2014, 12:26   #7234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
While the rants & appreciations continue on the newly made traffic changes at Kundanahalli junction, here is a small news that would surely make us, road users, happy.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45237536.cms

A small excerpt:
Not really sure if we should be happy, because we paid for these damn buses in the first place.

These were never supposed to be AC in the first place, some dumb neta looked at the design, said they look similar to Volvo and costs less, so lets put an AC in them and that is where the problems started. In fact in one of the earlier reports, they were talking of taking up a case/action against the committee which recommended the purchase of these buses. Hope those crooks are made to suffer like hell, in short hope they get scrapped as well.
ILTDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 18:01   #7235
Distinguished - BHPian

Complete chaos on Bellary Road with VVIP movement. AVOID!!!!!!
Old 25th November 2014, 18:05   #7236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Complete chaos on Bellary Road with VVIP movement. AVOID!!!!!!
Damn, why do these VVIP's always chose the peak traffic hours to travel to their destinations? Cannot they just stick to off peak hours, or even better would be with all the money that they make just hire a helicopter and fly around. It would make lives so much better for the common man.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:40   #7237
BHPian

Hi Guys, need an advice. I need to pick up my parents from K R Puram railway station tomorrow morning 10 AM. Is there any parking lot at the station premises? Parking slots are normally available? Is there any alternate spot for parking if there's no space in the station area.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 25th November 2014 at 21:43.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:17   #7238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi Guys, need an advice. I need to pick up my parents from K R Puram railway station tomorrow morning 10 AM. Is there any parking lot at the station premises? Parking slots are normally available? Is there any alternate spot for parking if there's no space in the station area.
There is a parking lot, but its usually full by that time. Go near the parking lot, you will see attenders, ask them for authorized space or get your vehicle squeezed into the lot.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 22:57   #7239
BHPian

Dear All, My office is shifting from Bagmane tech park to Prestige Tech park in Kadubeesanahalli next week. My commute is pretty long starting from RRNagar, drive along ORR in Banashankari, Silk board, Sarjapur road and Prestige tech park. All along, I have been commuting via Mysore road-MG Road-Old madreas road-Bagmane tech park. So I dont have the faintest idea on traffic conditions in ORR during peak hours. My office commute time will be 8.30AM start from home and 6PM leave office.

Can regulars on this route throw some light into how bad ORR traffic is and the bottle necks that I need to be aware of and alternate route suggestions that one could take in a car/bike?
Old 26th November 2014, 05:27   #7240
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Dear All, My office is shifting from Bagmane tech park to Prestige Tech park in Kadubeesanahalli next week. My commute is pretty long starting from RRNagar, drive along ORR in Banashankari, Silk board, Sarjapur road and Prestige tech park. All along, I have been commuting via Mysore road-MG Road-Old madreas road-Bagmane tech park. So I dont have the faintest idea on traffic conditions in ORR during peak hours. My office commute time will be 8.30AM start from home and 6PM leave office.

Can regulars on this route throw some light into how bad ORR traffic is and the bottle necks that I need to be aware of and alternate route suggestions that one could take in a car/bike?
Change your timings to around 1 hour in advance and you should be ok.
The specific points to worry about are;
1. Silk Board
2. ORR/Sarjapur Ring road near Iblur
3. Main ORR near Eco Space
Leave earlier than you are suggesting and you should be ok.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 09:01   #7241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
RJ, did you take the new route i.e. left at Hoodi circle towards Graphite jn. and then right (Gopalan school road) and left at ABB jn?
And how was the scene at KR Puram station jn?
That's right finney . KR Puram was a breeze and so was Tin Factory. Like I said it might be too premature to rejoice in this, I reckon we give a few more days for the dust to settle.

Like this morning it was a free for all( retarded ones) flouting the one way rule from Hoodi junction towards KR Puram. Some distinguished gentleman removed a few barricades and then started driving the wrong way to reach KR Puram only to save 1.5 kms.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:39   #7242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing this for this first time in about 6 months - call it the "honeymoon" period for the new traffic regulations in the Whitefield area, there are more cops all around, their mere presence is enough to to tackle some of the problems like 2 wheelers riding on the footpaths and controlling/helping at intersections where people make U-turns (near Prestige, Zuri) and merge with the ITPL main road traffic. Hope this lasts
Old 26th November 2014, 11:04   #7243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Change your timings to around 1 hour in advance and you should be ok.
The specific points to worry about are;
1. Silk Board
2. ORR/Sarjapur Ring road near Iblur
3. Main ORR near Eco Space
Leave earlier than you are suggesting and you should be ok.
I work in Prestige Tech Park, and commute from Banashankari 2nd Stage.

I would second @shankar.balan - avoid Silk Board. After that, no matter what you do, you will end up with the bottlenecks at Iblur and EcoSpace

Other than the above two suspects, traffic delays are totally random and unpredictable, and that is a normal thing.

I leave home around 8:15am and reach my desk around 9:30-10. I normally get out of the office around 4-4:30pm (to be home by 6pm max) or stay in office till 10pm, to avoid most of the madness.
Can you change your timings? 8:30am leaving from RR Nagar will imply that you will hit the ORR around 9:15am - the worst time. Recommend that you leave home before 8am or after 10:00am.

Is public transport an option? Can you park your bike/car in Banashankari bus stand and get into one of the Volvo buses? There is one every 10-15 minutes.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific information.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 11:47   #7244
Distinguished - BHPian

Major news for Bangaloreans!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45266418.cms

Ride smooth from Chalukya Circle to Hebbal flyover
TNN | Nov 25, 2014, 07.14AM IST

With the Supreme Courtgiving the green signal to acquire around 16 acres of Palace Grounds, the proposed six-lane elevated corridor connecting the city centre to Hebbal flyover will become a reality.

The corridor aims to ease bottlenecks at Mehkri Circle, Cauvery Junction and CBI Junction en route to Kempegowda International Airport (KIA).

The expressway, in all likelihood, will be an iron and steel fabricated structure, which could mean speedy execution and little chaos during implementation.Sources in the BDA are already talking of the elevated corridor being in place in two years.

Acquisition of land will facilitate the widening of Jayamahal Road and Ballari Road, and pave the way for the elevated road connecting Basaveshwara Circle (Chalukya Circle) and Hebbal flyover.

BBMP commissioner M Lakshminarayana said the Palike would start widening the Palace Grounds stretch of Ballari Road within a week.

PN Nayak, engineer member, BDA, told TOI that tenders would be floated for the Rs 1,200 crore project within a few days. "The corridor will be 6.7km long and pass over Windsor Manor bridge, the railway bridge and Mehkri Circle and hit the ground just before Hebbal flyover. We are building this road keeping in view traffic growth in the next 20 years," he added.

Nayak said with the major hurdle of land acquisition at Palace Grounds getting cleared, there won't be a problem. "Land will be acquired next to High Grounds and other small stretches along the way," he said.

While the project goes a long way in assuring seamless connectivity from the city core to KIA, TOI has learnt that to make way for the corridor, the authorities will have to demolish two overbridges (at BDA head of fice and CBI junction) and two underpasses (near Cauvery Junction and Anand Nagar) built using precast technology.

Popularly known as magic boxes, these construc tions came up in 2008 when S Subramanya was BBMP chief, to facilitate a signal-free ride to BIA. However, they have made little difference to the traffic flow. In fact, the underpass near Cauvery junction is troublesome for motorists who have to take a left and a U-turn to get back to Ballari Road.

Saving public money

Asked about the waste of public money in pulling down underpasses, Lakshminarayana said the lifespan of such precast structures is limited to a maximum of 8-10 years. "We will try and convert these structures, like the one at BDA head office, into a pedestrian subway or two-wheeler passageway and save our assets," he added. However, MN Sreehari, traffic engineering expert and adviser to the state government, said there was no meaning in retaining such structures.

"They will further disrupt traffic moving below the corridor. Most of these structures are unscientific and shouldn't have come up at all," he added.

Country's first steel bridge?

PN Nayak, engineer member, BDA, said the elevated corridor between Basaveshwara Circle and Hebbal flyover will be the first steel bridge in the country. "The structure will be built with strong beams so as to take even heavy vehicles," he added. However, another proposed fabricated iron and steel elevated corridor along JC Road is yet to rise above the drawing board stage, 10 years after it was conceived.

Legal battle for 5 years

The legal tussle over widening the Ballari Road stretch near Palace Grounds started in 2009, when the BBMP tried to acquire land there. The Mysuru royal family opposed it and went to court.In 2011, and the then government offered to pay compensation. On November 21 this year, the Supreme Court directed that the royal family be compensated for the land acquired for road widening under Transfer of Development Rights, clearing the decks for road widening.
Old 27th November 2014, 08:04   #7245
BHPian

Accident Alert on Old Airport Road (opp. Aerospace Museum) @7.30 AM

Who will get effected : Vehicles going from Marathalli to HAL will get effected, fortunately vehicles are on left most lane (only one lane left for the traffic now)
Vehicles involved in accident: Tempo Traveller, Ford Figo and BMTC Volvo
Accident details : Accident seems to happen an hour ago or so, certainly Today's morning. Tempo traveller seems to be rear ended Figo and in turn Figo rear ended BMTC Volvo bus. Major damage happened to Figo, that is obvious in this scenario (lightest of all vehicles involved in accident). Figo's bonnet twisted/folded like a tissue paper certainly engine bay gone under the Volvo bus. Rear windshield is shattered into pieces. Nothing much damage to Tempo Traveller and Volvo Bus.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 27th November 2014 at 08:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks