Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 17:57   #8011
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This "city" has no drainage/gutters to speak of in most roads. And all those potholes that were graciously "fixed" by filling up with broken bricks or other debris must be adding to the Taj Mahal tea colour of the logged water.

The traffic view in Google maps has been quite useful.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:12   #8012
BHPian

It has started raining and i can already see traffic backed up inside ecospace all the way till the last building of pritech park. God help me when i start from office.
kiran_cr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 19:16   #8013
Senior - BHPian

Have a call at 9 PM and I thought I would take it from home. But something tells me it is a good idea to take it at work itself. Commuting from EC to Koramangala will be a pain at 8 I guess.
Old 14th April 2015, 20:03   #8014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Have a call at 9 PM and I thought I would take it from home. But something tells me it is a good idea to take it at work itself. Commuting from EC to Koramangala will be a pain at 8 I guess.
Mate, Never commit such a cardinal mistake. Finish your call in office and come back home with peace of mind.
Bangalore traffic is highly unpredictable.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:00   #8015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
It has started raining and i can already see traffic backed up inside ecospace all the way till the last building of pritech park. God help me when i start from office.
ECOSPACE ....and its traffic issues. I think it needs a separate thread. God only knows what will happen when other buildings between Intel and Ecospace gets occupied.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 21:08   #8016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
ECOSPACE ....and its traffic issues. I think it needs a separate thread. God only knows what will happen when other buildings between Intel and Ecospace gets occupied.

The effect is already visible. Recently couple of companies like ANZ moved to ecoworld. Due to which traffic jam starts as early as 4pm nowadays. And im still stuck in office, hearing from colleagues that its taking an hour just to reach from lower basement to upper basement at parking lot. God knwos when i can start.
Old 15th April 2015, 11:43   #8017
Senior - BHPian

I can't figure out where to publish this: Offical Jokes, Bad drivers, or here.

Here it goes:
I was seated in the middle seat of middle row of my neighbour's Ertiga, while we were waiting for the Koramangala water tank signal to clear (to go towards Sarjapur). Oncoming traffic was taking right turn. There were a few bikes ahead of us, which had stopped on the barely visible zebra crossing. Among them was this hep dude with a girl.

As soon as the light turned to amber from red, the biker dude revved up his 150cc engine and rushed across. An old man driving a Fiesta hadn't completed his turn yet, and our biker dude ended up in front of the Fiesta. Like that South American video where a pedestrian forces a car stopped on zebra crossing to take reverse, our biker hero kept raising his bike until the old man reversed his Fiesta.

We all knew that this biker hero had no right to force rules on someone because, he himself had broken a few! Sure enough, the dude stopped on the zebra crossing at the next signal too (near Madivala market). I wanted to get down from the car and give him the same treatment, but the guys sitting my sides didn't let me :-(
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 11:55   #8018
BHPian

Whats happening with the cloverleaf interchange in the past few days in Hosur road? Every day I am stuck there for long. And this morning I saw what looked like blood (or maybe it was a red dye based puja something on the entry to EC 1 gate.
This is especially true when the traffic police (besides all the good work they also do) manually control the signals and allow all lanes, especially service roads to cut across as much as they like.
BTW: I have learnt to ignore and blissfully sit in my car when the signal is red and the driver behind is honking because he has a twitchy finger. Acquire this skill, it will come to use many times
Old 15th April 2015, 11:57   #8019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I can't figure out where to publish this: Offical Jokes, Bad drivers, or here.

Here it goes:
I was seated in the middle seat of middle row of my neighbour's Ertiga, while we were waiting for the Koramangala water tank signal to clear (to go towards Sarjapur). Oncoming traffic was taking right turn. There were a few bikes ahead of us, which had stopped on the barely visible zebra crossing. Among them was this hep dude with a girl.

As soon as the light turned to amber from red, the biker dude revved up his 150cc engine and rushed across. An old man driving a Fiesta hadn't completed his turn yet, and our biker dude ended up in front of the Fiesta. Like that South American video where a pedestrian forces a car stopped on zebra crossing to take reverse, our biker hero kept raising his bike until the old man reversed his Fiesta.

We all knew that this biker hero had no right to force rules on someone because, he himself had broken a few! Sure enough, the dude stopped on the zebra crossing at the next signal too (near Madivala market). I wanted to get down from the car and give him the same treatment, but the guys sitting my sides didn't let me :-(
If the Fiesta had crossed the stop line (non-existent, in most cases) before the light had changed, the bike really should have let him pass.
HOWEVER
In our fair city, traffic lights on one side go green the same instant lights on the other side go red. There is no time lag to allow traffic in the junction to clear. Add to that, the propensity of our public to inch forward when the signal timer hits the 5 second mark, you have a situation where accidents are potentially engineered into the system!!
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 21:01   #8020
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week I had some work on St.Marks Road so took the scooter for a visit to a shop there. Entered Museum Road from Residency Road side next to St. Josephs college, after the post office had to turn left. There was a lot of road construction activity (the now (in)famous TenderSURE project) and I felt the road was unusually narrow. I parked the scooter on a cross road a little ahead and then saw what had happened.

They've now constructed a 2 level footpath that has taken away at least 15 feet (7-8 feet each side) of the original width of the road. The space between the big trees is now a foot path but this now means absolutely no parking is possible on the entire stretch
This leaves 2 narrow lanes for vehicles and it will be a pain to use this stretch once the work is complete and schools reopen. While I'm all for saving trees and greenery, I think they overdid the 2 level wide footpath thing here. There are several business establishments, schools and shops on this stretch and it is going to be tough times ahead. Even if one vehicle stops, it is going to cause mayhem

Last edited by NPV : 15th April 2015 at 21:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 21:26   #8021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Took 1 hour 45 minutes to cover 4 KMS from my office to Home yesterday ( 5:25 PM - 7:10 PM). The line of Vehicles at Big Bazaar extended till Vydehi (maybe beyond that too). Traffic was completely stationary for almost 30 mins.

Any idea what was the reason?
The reason is pretty simple Sir. Everyone wants to travel by Car which is why we see so much of gridlocks everywhere.

I see most of the cars with just one person (driver) travelling in it. Please think sensibly, one car will occupy the space of 4-5 two wheelers. At this juncture, isn't it sensible to travel by a two wheeler if just one person would want to travel. It will save your time, cost less and more importantly, a small contribution from our side to ease traffic.

Much better than a two wheeler is a bicycle. Its good for your health as well. Unfortunately we Indians fail to adopt those good habits from the West where people use bicycle for short distances.

There is no point in complaining the Govt in terms of infrastructure in our Country where nothing would change and even if there was a change, it wouldn't be for something good.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 21:40   #8022
BANNED

My commute from Doddanekundi to EGL used to take about 20-25 minutes through the old airport road at 1pm. However, last couple of days the traffic is backed up till HAL airport and I believe it is backed up all the way from Murgeshpalya signal or further ahead. I am wondering, what if any has changed this week.
Old 15th April 2015, 22:11   #8023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The reason is pretty simple Sir. Everyone wants to travel by Car which is why we see so much of gridlocks everywhere.

I see most of the cars with just one person (driver) travelling in it. Please think sensibly, one car will occupy the space of 4-5 two wheelers. At this juncture, isn't it sensible to travel by a two wheeler if just one person would want to travel. It will save your time, cost less and more importantly, a small contribution from our side to ease traffic.

Much better than a two wheeler is a bicycle. Its good for your health as well. Unfortunately we Indians fail to adopt those good habits from the West where people use bicycle for short distances.

There is no point in complaining the Govt in terms of infrastructure in our Country where nothing would change and even if there was a change, it wouldn't be for something good.
You have made a valid point. But to commute on 2 wheelers in such a dusty environment (dusty roads) , your health will take a severe beating. I work in ITPL and in situations where i have to go late to office i usually prefer my 2 wheeler. The reason being i can take the vehicle on interior roads. But the downside is such roads are awfully dusty.
After reaching the parking lot, i parked my scooty, took out my jacket and shook it gently. I noticed a small cloud of dust popping off my jacket. This is for a day's commute.
Imagine if i were to go daily to office by 2 wheeler. Probably i should book a ward permanently in my name in the hospital.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 22:38   #8024
BHPian

Anyone saw the jam in ecospace today? Was the most pathetic situation till date!
Old 15th April 2015, 23:31   #8025
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Anyone saw the jam in ecospace today? Was the most pathetic situation till date!

Oh yes absolutely. My colleagues who left office at 5pm reached ecospace exit gate at around 820pm. 3hrs and 20 minutes to travel roughly 500metres. Its indeed a world record. For last 3 days its pathetic, i am leaving office at 10pm or 1030pm. Im so frustrated that i feel like quitting and getting out of this city. Its getting pathetic day by day.

Last edited by kiran_cr : 15th April 2015 at 23:36.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks