Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 09:25   #15496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

White topping bhagya has arrived in Sir M Vishveshwariah Road near the Electronic City RTO. Don't understand why it was needed here as the roads were relatively good.
Expect traffic snarls here for another 2-3 months.
Attached Images

Last edited by speedmiester : 26th February 2018 at 09:28.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:02   #15497
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
White topping bhagya has arrived in Sir M Vishveshwariah Road near the Electronic City RTO. Don't understand why it was needed here as the roads were relatively good.
Expect traffic snarls here for another 2-3 months.
This is just to loot tax payers money.Nothing else.All these basus sleeping for 4.5 years ,now suddenly woke up .I stay near Horamavu.Full area is digged for water and gas pipe line.Entire area is filled with dust and people are using mask and kids are getting dust allergy .

Same area digged 4 years back for drainage pipeline and they took another 3 years to put tar.This time God knows when they are going to tar again.
Old 26th February 2018, 10:40   #15498
BHPian

In today's Deccan herald:

Quote:
The BBMP's ambitious project to white-top several roads across the city could lead to clogged drains and flooding during the monsoon.

Though white-topped or cement roads last longer than tarred roads, the unscientific approach adopted by the BBMP has led to an increase in road surface levels by at least by six inches.

As a result, some residents and commercial establishments are forced to construct steps to climb down to entire their premises.

Road engineering expert M N Srihari told DH, "The level of footpath will increase when the surface level of the road goes up, as the flow of water is always from a higher gradient to a lower gradient. If the surface level of the footpath increases, then the flow of water will be affected as the civic body is not changing the level of pipes."
Old 26th February 2018, 11:42   #15499
Senior - BHPian

Few posts about White topping Bhagya just reiterates the absolute lack of planning in any activity which is undertaken by the city authorities. I don't think these folks are all fools, who just landed up in the government job through luck.

Most likely crores would be given to the contractors to do this shoddy work, and a good share of the funds released would land up in the pockets of you-know-who.
Old 26th February 2018, 18:23   #15500
Senior - BHPian

Hold on guys! Time to stop ranting about Bangalore's traffic situation

News Courtesy: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/ban...-book/#s-cust0

Quote:
Bangalore’s heli taxis start flying this week; price, timings and how to book
The long-awaited helicopter service from Bangalore airport to Electronic City is finally taking off

Bangalore’s much-awaited heli taxi service is all set to take off some time this week, though the exact date is yet to be announced. Thumby Aviation, the company operating the helicopter taxis, told CNT that permissions are in place and two Bell 407 helicopters are ready to fly passengers from Bangalore’s Kempegowda International Airport to Electronic City, Phase 1 and to HAL Airport. This means that a journey that usually takes two hours by road will now take only 15 minutes.

While the schedule for the flights is flexible, the heli taxi will operate in two shifts, for now. The flights are timed to peak business hours. There will be an average of three round-trips between Bangalore’s Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) and Electronic City from 6.30am to 9.30am and another three round-trips from 3.00pm to 6.15pm. (Flights between Bangalore KIA and HAL Airport will start on 1 March.) The four-blade, single-engine Bell 407 chopper to be used as a heli taxi can seat up to six people.
Pics courtesy: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/ban...-book/#s-cust0

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-5.jpeg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-6.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:55   #15501
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier we had to watch out for rash taxis driving close to our vehicles on all 4 sides the car. Now we also have to watch out for taxi drivers flying close to our vehicle roof.
Old 27th February 2018, 07:27   #15502
Distinguished - BHPian

KIAL has built the helipad just adjacent to the main spine road (near about the CISF remote checkpoint) as you drive towards the terminal building.

Soon it'll turn into a tourist spot with empty cabbies and other 2W gawkers stopping or suddenly slowing down like they do on top of the elevated section next to Jakkur aerodrome!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 09:11   #15503
BHPian

With my brother out of town for a week, I have been dropping my nephew off to school every day in the morning at 9am. Over the last week, I noticed that the maximum number of traffic violations at this time is done by parents dropping their children off at school. Rash driving, driving on the wrong side, jumping traffic signals, not wearing seat belts or helmets - every single violation imaginable seems to have been pulled off. The final straw today was this guy driving on the footpath and yelling at me for not jumping a red light and giving him space to get back on the road from the footpath

Makes me wonder. What sort of an example are we setting our kids? Where they don't think traffic rules are something important that needs to be followed. We are training another generation of rule breakers right from the tender age when we should actually be teaching them to be patient and following rules
shreyascashyap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 09:20   #15504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
The final straw today was this guy driving on the footpath and yelling at me for not jumping a red light and giving him space to get back on the road from the footpath

Makes me wonder. What sort of an example are we setting our kids? Where they don't think traffic rules are something important that needs to be followed. We are training another generation of rule breakers right from the tender age when we should actually be teaching them to be patient and following rules
Those parents set a bad example by dropping the kids at the very last minute. Knowing the chaotic traffic situation in Bangalore, what prevents these parents from leaving home early so that the kids are on time. This is the fundamental root cause.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:07   #15505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the maximum number of traffic violations at this time is done by parents dropping their children off at school... What sort of an example are we setting our kids? Where they don't think traffic rules are something important that needs to be followed. We are training another generation of rule breakers right from the tender age when we should actually be teaching them to be patient and following rules
Almost every day, I see this guy gunning his scooter out of the basement parking, up a ramp and onto the road, with his 6-7 years old daughter riding pillion. No helmets. He has to drop the kid to the bus stop, which is maybe half a kilometre away, but one small error is all it takes to change things forever. This morning, I saw the duo walking to the scooter while I was pulling out of my parking slot. I was climbing the ramp, this guy was just not bothered that I might brake if I spot something and he'll end up falling in that case, he was still gunning it as though it's a matter of life and death. Once out, I stopped and made way for this maniac.

The little girl is going to grow up believing that this is quite normal and is the way to ride a scooter. Though cruel, I sometimes think we should let Darwin's theory take charge by removing all warning labels.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 12:33   #15506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore's traffic mess is not because of cabbies, yellow board taxis, and BMTC alone; it is also because all of us. When it comes to traffic sense every one including the great champs sitting in IT sweat shops are really at the same level of a cab drivers. Residing in fancy British named lay outs, studying in International schools, sporting at various big resorts & clubs; are NOT going to bring in any good social sense, responsibilities.

There is a real crude saying in Malayalam (and I would not use that here), which basically is about a mentally & economically poor chap, becoming rich and getting some power one fine morning. He would throw his weight around, and spend money lavishly; but ultimately the poor-ness in the mind still remains the same.

To sound like an intellectual; people like this would remain in the "Safety, Love/Belonging & (a bit of) Esteem" regions of the Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. We will never get a society which can innovate, think logically and without prejudices. Many of our favourite foreign countries have gone high up in this pyramid.

Last edited by sachinpk : 27th February 2018 at 12:39.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 09:11   #15507
Senior - BHPian

Came across this article in BM that work on an underpass at Wind tunnel junction on old airport road and widening of Sarjapur road until carmelram junction will start soon. While the widening of sarjapur road will start by march 15, underpass work on Old airport road will start once BBMP gets police clearance.

Looking at the way all the road work and other beautification happening around in bangalore, I just wish that elections comes sooner every time.
Old 28th February 2018, 10:19   #15508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Hold on guys! Time to stop ranting about Bangalore's traffic situation
With Innova kind of vehicles costing half of this for similar distances, its not that costly. Consider the time it would save. If all airlines can package their prices with this service, it could see lot of people using this service and we can have a thread about rants on Bengaluru air traffic !

Last edited by srishiva : 28th February 2018 at 10:21.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 10:30   #15509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

There is a... saying in Malayalam....
There's probably one in every language and culture.

The one in Hindi my teacher in high school loved to quote while admonishing spoilt brats in his classroom went: 'Paisa haisiyat badalta hai, aukaat nahi'. Translates roughly to 'Money changes what you can afford, not who you are'.
Old 28th February 2018, 11:06   #15510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
...great champs sitting in IT sweat shops are really at the same level of a cab drivers. Residing in fancy British named lay outs, studying in International schools, sporting at various big resorts & clubs [...]
With my Bernard Woolley hat on - those who are sitting in IT sweat shops are very unlikely to be studying in International schools. :-)
binand is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks