Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 11:44   #15361
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Alert to people going from EGL , Inner Ring Road via Yemalur to Bellandur , Ecospace or Airport Road via Yemalur village to Bellandur, Sarjapur. The road is not foreign to traffic jams but the road parallel to the lake has been dug up. This is courtesy Irrigation Department. These geniuses have widened the road along the airport wall with two concrete pipes and mud in order to divert the traffic.
The traffic at the T junction is totally in chaos. No cops seen. Yesterday it was left to the wind. Today the villagers have taken to controlling traffic. It took 1 1/2 hours to cover 2 kms. More traffic chaos to come as the government is suddenly on a road improvement and infrastructure enhancement spree.
Old 30th January 2018, 19:10   #15362
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

As of this evening, the Inner Ring Road stretch between Emabssy golf links and Ejipura signal was asphalted and there were several flexes on both sides of the road with pictures of politicos claiming credit for the work of "Asphalting to Inner Ring road" under the Nagorathana MLA grant.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 19:17   #15363
BHPian

It's raining tar in Bangalore. Today on my way to office, I saw the road works at 3 places. I wish the elections come every year.

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2018 at 19:23. Reason: Edited non-forum emojis
Old 30th January 2018, 20:31   #15364
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove on the white topped yeshwantpur stretch. Oh what a bhagya it is! Uneven surface, bouncy ride, unfinished shoulder - couldn't think of a better way to spend tax money And the best part is the U turn at MEI is still closed.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 21:02   #15365
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of white topping:

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/62701794.cms

It seems they have done 9 of 53 km so far.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:57   #15366
BHPian

Pod taxis on the way !!!

link

Quote:
Meanwhile, Srinivas Alavilli, member of the forum Citizens for Bangalore, reiterated that “pod taxis are not the solution to the city’s traffic problem. It’s a ridiculous idea to introduce such a huge project. If the government really wants a solution, it should spread awareness on public transport and should focus on well-designed long-term mobility. The pod taxis won’t be able to carry too much people at the same time. The government should promote buses and it should work with the traffic police and transport department. Also, it is highly inappropriate that a project such as this has political interference.”

Urban expert Ashwin Mahesh has similar views. “Our current traffic problems are a result of inadequate number of buses and not enough pedestrian infrastructure. These two major problems have to be fixed. By increasing the number of buses and improving the condition of footpaths, we can reduce city’s traffic. But this [pod taxis] is a stupid idea,” he said.
Old 31st January 2018, 10:23   #15367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As of this evening, the Inner Ring Road stretch between Emabssy golf links and Ejipura signal was asphalted and there were several flexes on both sides of the road with pictures of politicos claiming credit for the work of "Asphalting to Inner Ring road" under the Nagorathana MLA grant.
Its like ambush marketing. All development made to seem like personal money being spent. And I am paying half my salary for god knows what :(
Old 31st January 2018, 10:26   #15368
Senior - BHPian

I have used the white topped road on the Adugodi to St.John'ssignal stretch. In my honest opinion, they could have looked at a better way to burn tax payers money. The stretch is uneven, does not inspire confidence, appears sharp. The tyres are bound to take a hit over a period of time. The shoulders are not yet completed, so there is a big risk in the night if we over shoot the road, the car will land in a trough.

They seriously need to re-look at this project and put the money to better use without inconveniencing the public at large.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 12:28   #15369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
....They seriously need to re-look at this project and put the money to better use without inconveniencing the public at large.
Sadly your voice is one among a million unheard onces in the chaos !! We stopped the 'steel flyover' which was meant to be a money minting project overnite. This white topping came as a flash, they did not give a breathing gap for people to understand about it. Smart move. Now even if its left half done, funds are already released to the regular channels. Do we have a choice not to pay taxes ? I would rather pay and hope for the best than being treated as a terrorist or a citizen of the neighbouring enemies !

I got a chance to drive through the Hennur side of the completed stretch, its far from perfection. Its rough, uneven and dangerous at many spots. Do they expect the concrete mixture to level by itself over the months ? Whom to ask ?

Majority of the city is going through concrete works and road repairs, broadening etc. I sometimes wonder, why it took 5 years for an administration to understand basic infrastructure was unattended ? End of the term, we see all of it coming together as a bomb on people. Its inconvenience everywhere because all the departments got a fire on their tail at this moment !!!

Last edited by shajufx : 31st January 2018 at 12:33.
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:17   #15370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used the white topped road on the Adugodi to St.John'ssignal stretch. In my honest opinion, they could have looked at a better way to burn tax payers money. The stretch is uneven, does not inspire confidence, appears sharp. The tyres are bound to take a hit over a period of time. The shoulders are not yet completed, so there is a big risk in the night if we over shoot the road, the car will land in a trough.
I am quite surprised to see you mention that this stretch is uneven. I am a daily user of this stretch and I find it ok. Yes it is not super smooth like a freshly laid tar road but it is good to drive. I agree with you on the risk of driving at night as the shoulders are not yet completed and there is a big height difference also. Hope they finish it soon.

I am just hoping that they complete the other half of the stretch between the madiwala checkpost signal and St Johns. Even though they have put tar and given a slope to correct the height difference it still is not safe.
Old 31st January 2018, 22:34   #15371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am quite surprised to see you mention that this stretch is uneven. I am a daily user of this stretch and I find it ok. Yes it is not super smooth like a freshly laid tar road but it is good to drive. I agree with you on the risk of driving at night as the shoulders are not yet completed and there is a big height difference also. Hope they finish it soon.
I assume when someone (including me) says it is uneven they mean not as smooth as tarmac. Also it is true these concrete roads and not friendly to our drives shoes and more to this, given the rate of dust and debris that accumulates in our city roads it is worse for riders.

Cheers!
Old 1st February 2018, 07:34   #15372
Distinguished - BHPian

You may have to pay toll on way to airport
http://m.deccanherald.com/section/7/...-pay-toll.html

Going to be mayhem both at the tollbooth as well as at the first rotary inside KIAL.
Old 1st February 2018, 07:55   #15373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
[b]You may have to pay toll on way to airport.
The tone and the tenor of this article suggests that "How on earth can someone reach THE AIRPORT without paying the 'Hafta/Chauth/Ransom' to the sarakari authorised goons of this country? Let's see". In any advanced society (read country) we have multiple roads to reach an important destination but in India it's the other way round. They will create such a drought of resources and infrastructure that will force the mango people of this country to route themselves from a badly managed tunnel which should/would/could benefit the private/semi-govt player of their choice. The job of the govt is to provide service to the citizens and not act as lobbying agent of these goons who are worried about the loss of profit.I think we need some kind of court case for them to learn the lesson like the DND flyover in NCR. But the govt has ensured that we are so busy negotiating the Marathallis and Graphite India's of this city that by the time someone reaches home, the only constructive work he can do is to sit idle for few seconds and not curse anyone he saw/met on the road today. These guys still ask us to cough up Rs125 for an experience which includes an unfinished flyover and long queus at the toll gate and they still want us to charge us more. Wow, I mean just wow. By the way, what was the rationale of collecting life time road tax (highest in the country) . They are squeezing us in all possible directions and also dare to call it some sort of "Bhagya, utthana etc ".
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:14   #15374
BHPian

Traffic alert for those who take Tin Factory ~ KR Puram Railway Station ORR stretch.
Took close to 30 minutes for me to cross KR Puram from Kasturi Nagar, I thought that to be the usual Private Buses parked near the railway station to be the reasons, but then I was only partially right, the other reason was a Canter broke down on another lane at the same vicinity. By the time I crossed the folks were making all efforts to move the canter with the help of a Crane that was passing through.
Hope the ripple effect traffic would have cleared by now.
So even for a start before 7AM still you'll have surprises once in a week .
Old 1st February 2018, 08:43   #15375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Drove on the white topped yeshwantpur stretch. Oh what a bhagya it is! Uneven surface, bouncy ride, unfinished shoulder - couldn't think of a better way to spend tax money.
Agree, this current white-topping is a flimflam, I've seen much better examples of concrete roads laid privately.. much smoother and cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Pod taxis on the way !!!
Development of a city is like painting a masterpiece, for the final result to be stunning, one must have a clean, white, absorbent canvas.. by that standard the plans for Bangalore is akin to Claude Monet painting on a rag-cloth drenched in oil and dirt that is used by blue-collar workers.

Quote:
They seriously need to re-look at this project and put the money to better use without inconveniencing the public at large.
The braking is pathetic on these roads.. and I mean absolutely pathetic, that combined with the bikers mounting the hill created between the tar road and the concrete road to crossover without stopping, will spell disaster one day. Aesthetically this looks ridiculous with one side being dark grey and the other light grey and higher up. R.I.P Garden City Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
A possible example of good concrete road will be the one that is laid as the EC flyover tapers into the toll-booths in Phase 1, very smooth and relatively noiseless, what has been done here is a hack-job in my view. Not to mention that all these roads were good to begin with, why mess with them I've no idea.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st February 2018 at 09:04.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks