Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 17:12   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Have you seen the situation in front of railway station? there are 1.5 mtr high barricades on the median and still people climb it to cross instead of using the underpass. Some people never learn
The same thing hold good for the Bommanahalli sub way. People prefer risking their lives to cross the road rather than use the sub way.
Old 11th August 2014, 19:54   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Have you seen the situation in front of railway station? there are 1.5 mtr high barricades on the median and still people climb it to cross instead of using the underpass. Some people never learn
People how do mistakes continue to do it. This high raise medians would reduced the number of people jumping across. Typically women & kids would hesitate. Today I saw lot of school kids cross the junction there... I fear for their safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is a bad idea - as you know, 5 minutes in an accident case could very well be the difference between survival and death.

Probably some sort of median fencing that can be removed by emergency response teams (policemen, fire department personnel etc.). But given the super-high levels of civic responsibility the average Bangalorean shows, I doubt such fences would last beyond a week.
I agree that every minute in case of an accident is important. The issue is how do minimize the chance of one? So how do you force people to use the new skywalk?
Today I saw median opened up in front of Safaal too. Bikers & Auto are allowed to take U-turn there. This is the second opening in less than 100 mts. 2 locations for people (including kids) to cross.

This is similar to the arrangement you are suggesting. No control what so ever.
Waiting for disaster to happen. Godspeed.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:21   #6423
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning around 7:45am, there was the usual slow-mo traffic near Tin factory junction on old madras road and I was expecting the chaos due to vehicles all trying to converge onto the road beside the hanging bridge. On reaching near the pedestrian overbridge I saw that there were cops (near the temple) stopping some cars, don't know what they were looking/booking them for.
The road beside the bridge was actually not a bottleneck today and had smooth flow of traffic but the hanging bridge had more traffic and it was slow (reversal of usual situation that I witness at this time).
On getting down the hanging bridge, saw cops on both sides of the road mostly stopping 2 wheelers for helmet violations, a good move!
Still wondering what prompted them to do something so early in the morning (as per their standards).
Old 12th August 2014, 11:48   #6424
BHPian

A lot of cop activity today morning at Whitefield. At the Whitefield railway station over bridge, a good number stopping and checking cars. The Vento following me was stopped. It was being driven by a lady. She wasn't wearing a seat-belt. Also, it was a TN registered vehicle. Either way, she was going to get fined.

Only sour point, this created a lot of traffic chaos at the end of the fly-over, which is usually free at that hour.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:25   #6425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This morning around 7:45am, there was the usual slow-mo traffic near Tin factory junction on old madras road and I was expecting the chaos due to vehicles all trying to converge onto the road beside the hanging bridge. On reaching near the pedestrian overbridge I saw that there were cops (near the temple) stopping some cars, don't know what they were looking/booking them for.
The road beside the bridge was actually not a bottleneck today and had smooth flow of traffic but the hanging bridge had more traffic and it was slow (reversal of usual situation that I witness at this time).
On getting down the hanging bridge, saw cops on both sides of the road mostly stopping 2 wheelers for helmet violations, a good move!
Still wondering what prompted them to do something so early in the morning (as per their standards).
Is the presence of the cops a daily occurrence? If not, it has got something to do with the revenue collection target fixed by KA govt. As such the govt is on a war footing stopping outside registered vehicles and collecting tax.
Old 12th August 2014, 18:18   #6426
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is the presence of the cops a daily occurrence? If not, it has got something to do with the revenue collection target fixed by KA govt. As such the govt is on a war footing stopping outside registered vehicles and collecting tax.
I had not seen cops earlier, definitely not so many of them on the same day and so early at 7:45am, seemed very organised and gave the feeling of some kind of drive.
The out of state registered vehicles was an RTO drive not a traffic cops thing so I'm not sure about this being linked to a revenue/tax collection target.

**There are 2 places I see cops regularly in the evenings - one near Beniganahalli railway under-bridge near Gopalan mall. These guys are typically looking for seat-belt/helmet/illegal U-turn violators. What irritates me most about them is that they care a hoot for all the cars and autorickshaws parked outside the mall in a no-parking zone hardly 50 metres away from them - they just turn a blind eye to this. This also ensures that traffic moves very slowly in that section so maybe it aids them in stopping errant drivers who cannot get away by driving faster.

The second place I see cops regularly is just a little ahead after the Big Bazaar signal and those guys look for seat-belt violators and signal jumpers.

Last edited by NPV : 12th August 2014 at 18:27.
Old 12th August 2014, 22:19   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I had not seen cops earlier, definitely not so many of them on the same day and so early at 7:45am, seemed very organised and gave the feeling of some kind of drive.
This I guess was at least a drive all across East Division of Traffic Police. Even in EC the Traffic Police were out in full strength today. Huge tipper trucks have all been pulled aside, and I saw them stopping cars and four wheelers as well. No RTO vehicles sighted, so it was not an RTO - BTP combo. Looks like it was an aggressive drive to charge people for all sorts of MV Act violations.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:07   #6428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
A lot of cop activity today morning at Whitefield. At the Whitefield railway station over bridge
These guy were at the hope farm end of the bridge when I passed at 7am this morning.

On rants, dude on his two wheeler, make shift lid, on the wrong side of the road at tin factory. This is the point where you have the LG showroom, ring road flyover going over old madras road leading to krpuram bridge. There is a uturn and a speed hump at this point. His attitude was such that he would have hit me head on. He was starring at me and the usual gesture indicating I was on the wrong side of the road, barrelling down at him! He did not budge an inch. I had to slow down and move to avoid ramming in to him.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:56   #6429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
These guy were at the hope farm end of the bridge when I passed at 7am this morning.
Saw them too when I passed at 8:00am. Some orders from above to take action? They were keen on stopping any car that is not KA registered. Meanwhile, I saw some out of state registered 2 wheelers also try to dodge them
Old 13th August 2014, 13:19   #6430
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore probably is the only major city in the country that allows these long distance truckers to pass through the city through the day. I understand that the ring road was supposed to take these trucks out of the city, but with the ORR being as much part of the city as are the other interior roads, I struggle to understand what stops the authorities from stopping these trucks outside at least during the peak hours.

They occupy the right most lane always and are crawling at the various flyovers and underpasses. I had posted about this on the BTP page, but no response.
Old 13th August 2014, 13:41   #6431
BHPian

At around 5:30 in the morning in between Kamakya and Devegowda Petrol Bunk signal, A TATA Ace was coming in a wrong direction that too with his HIGH beam Lights. I was riding on the left side and There was another Verna who was overtaking me from the right. Instead of reducing his Beam to Low and slowing his speed he came directly in front of me and started abusing me for rash driving. I silently called the police person whoom I know personally, and explained him everything. I did not leave him to pass by till he arrived and file a case on him.
meetbadri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 14:00   #6432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is a bad idea - as you know, 5 minutes in an accident case could very well be the difference between survival and death.

Probably some sort of median fencing that can be removed by emergency response teams (policemen, fire department personnel etc.). But given the super-high levels of civic responsibility the average Bangalorean shows, I doubt such fences would last beyond a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nggk5mr View Post
I agree that every minute in case of an accident is important. The issue is how do minimize the chance of one? So how do you force people to use the new skywalk?
It's not just Bangalore. I have seen this across India. People are reluctant to use over bridges or subways unless they have a loaded gun pointed at their head. Forget roads, people try to bypass it at railway stations jumping on tracks and what not, putting their lives in even more danger.

The question remains, how do you encourage people to use the over bridge or subway?
Old 13th August 2014, 14:07   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

The question remains, how do you encourage people to use the over bridge or subway?
Not encouragement buddy, but I guess punishment is the deterrent. Why do most people wear helmets,seat belts? Not because it is safe for them, but because they would have to pay a fine if they are caught. Unless jaywalking is penalized, people will not take it seriously. As simple as that.

Also, if the subways are kept clean and maintained well, some people at least may start to use it.
Old 13th August 2014, 17:15   #6434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It's not just Bangalore. I have seen this across India. People are reluctant to use over bridges or subways unless they have a loaded gun pointed at their head. Forget roads, people try to bypass it at railway stations jumping on tracks and what not, putting their lives in even more danger.

Yeah only policing works here. But sadly, I've heard horror stories of subways. They are all mostly unsafe for women, hell, even for men.
Old 13th August 2014, 17:51   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah only policing works here. But sadly, I've heard horror stories of subways. They are all mostly unsafe for women, hell, even for men.
The fact is subways are not maintained well. During rainy reasons not only are the roads flooded but also the subways as well. Not many people use the subway as it stinks. I have seen morons urinating in some remote corner in the subway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks