Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 17:05   #4921
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
27th main has always been under construction. I remember going to HSR to see an apartment years back and some work was going on . Then came the flyover and 27th was again fug up. Once the flyover was done, the road was a little better. then it turned horrendous. I hope this repair is for good.
27th Main is getting relayed. Nice to see the fresh tarmac.

Already BWSSB have started digging at 2 places - near MK Retail and then afterwards.

The vehicles (especially the moronic Indicabs and Tata Aces) coming from Somasandrapalya towards ring road are driving at breakneck speed. The junction at MK Retail and NIFT has become too dangerous. Please be careful at this place.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:53   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support. Deleted potentially offensive content. Any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

We have been talking about Techies and IT Professionals being unruly on the roads. I just happened to come across one such egoistic moron while entering my office campus !!

I work out of Ecospace on ORR, Bellandur. People frequenting this area know how unruly the traffic is here. The service roads are a mess and the entrance to Ecospace is horrible. Multiple lines of vehicles zig zagging to enter Ecospace.

Today, just few minutes back, I travelled under the Bellandur flyover and took the service road on the side of Ecospace. This road has been freshly laid and I didn't want to go under the Intel flyover due to the horrible condition of the service road on that side.

So I came to the gate of Ecospace. There are two entrances. The regular entrance and the 2nd one acts as an entrance from 9 AM till 12 Noon, post which it is the Exit.
While entering the main entrance, I allowed a Swift to enter from the opposite side. Then there was a gap and I could see a Light Blue 2nd Gen Honda City, about 2 cars away. So I remove my foot from the brake and let my car slowly move ahead. The entrance to Ecospace is horrible from the road perspective too. There are broken tiles and broken cement and a unscientific hump also. So I was moving slowly, less than 5 kmph.
Then I was taken for a shock when the Honda City which was 2 cars away from me, zoomed into the entrance !!! And he did a big turn so that I had to panic brake ! His car missed my car by millimetres, if I could say. It was that close !! Then he stops and rolls down his window and gives me that Son of the Soil look. Spectacled guy, with a tag around his neck (couldn't make out which company though). I wave my hand towards him in disbelief that he just almost rammed into my car. He was at a good 20-30 kmph speed when he made that turn into Ecospace. If that was a SUV, it would have rolled over for sure ! Anyways, when I gave him that wave of hand showing my displeasure, he zoomed off, revving his engine so hard that I could hear it from my car.

The story doesn't end here. People who work out of Ecospace, will know that there is a manual stop in front of the Accenture building to the left. There are two guards managing the traffic from two lanes + managing safe passage of pedestrians. These two guys were holding a Red STOP placard and standing. There was a white swift which was waiting. But our Honda guy ignores everything and almost rams into one of the guards and then almost hitting a Alto which was crossing this point from the other lane. The guard tries to bang on the boot of the car, but misses it. Our Honda guy didn't bother anything and again zoomed away.

I had a strong urge to follow him and then speak to him for these sort of unruly and nonsense act. But somehow I calmed myself and took the left to my company parking and didn't follow him.

I am still in a state of shock. Being an IT Professional myself, I know that we are under stress. Long working hours, Meetings, Lack of sleep and rest, etc etc. I guess he was late for a meeting or something which made him act so crazy. But I would never ever accept any excuse for not stopping at that manual stop and trying to run over the guard and pedestrians.

All I could manage was note a part of his registration number - UP 16 AH xxxx. I couldn't capture the numbers, else I for sure would have taken this up with the Ecospace management to track this guy. In any case, Ecospace is probably the worst managed IT Park in Bangalore.
But then again, this fellow was from Bhaiya Ji land. Who would want to mess with him. Not generalizing here, but I have see some of the cars with DL, UP and WB registration to be having the worst road manner, being driven rashly. I am not ruling out our famous KA Indicabs and Sumos though.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th September 2013 at 21:17. Reason: See note.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:47   #4923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
We have been talking about Techies and IT Professionals being unruly on the roads.
Yes, IT people are one of the worst drivers. BTW, I am also in IT. Ideally we are supposed to be well behaved, as we can read and understand what is good and bad. We get to travel overseas and see their civic sense. Atleast we should not behave such way. Whenever a cabbie doing mistake I don't get annoyed and let them carry on, as he might not have seen or someone may not have thought proper traffic manners. What gets my nerve is these so called well educated, white collared people behaving ruthlessly. If you talk to any of these "IT" guys, they are so heavy headed that, they act as if they are fallen from heaven. Probably the head weight of being travelled abroad, getting heavy package, owning expensive cars makes them ignore very basic things in life.

Not only these people lack common sense, they lack civic sense also. May be they are not aware what is civic sense!
Old 20th September 2013, 11:48   #4924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...All I could manage was note a part of his registration number - UP 16 AH xxxx. ...
May be coincidence, I saw a UP-1x registered iGen i20 in Nandi Hills two weeks ago displaying very similar antics. The lower gates open at 6am, and all vehicles stopped in a line before the entrance. Once the gates opened, this car did that cabbie-like squeezing in between the line. At the second gate, where they issue vehicle entry pass, he again tried to force his way in front of my car. I gave him a taste of his own medicine and he was forced to stare at the wall for a while. Wonder what his urgency was, at a place where people go to relax and enjoy the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Yes, IT people are one of the worst drivers...What gets my nerve is these so called well educated, white collared people behaving ruthlessly. If you talk to any of these "IT" guys, they are so heavy headed that, they act as if they are fallen from heaven. Probably the head weight of being travelled abroad, getting heavy package, owning expensive cars makes them ignore very basic things in life.
I assume such ruthless and nonsensical behaviour stems from the newfound riches and a belief that money can get them buy their way out of any petty offence. Each time I travel abroad and come back to India, I find some quaint little thing that could be improved in the way I behave on the roads (and public places) - driving, riding or walking. That makes me wonder what gets the other "IT junta" on a high to throw their weight around when they return from a stint in some developed country.

Last edited by silversteed : 20th September 2013 at 11:58.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:32   #4925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have been talking about Techies and IT Professionals being unruly on the roads. I just happened to come across one such egoistic moron while entering my office campus !!
I think there is nothing IT about being proper on road neither from a region. That distinction should not exist. It mostly borders on the the fundamental upbringing and what we see around.

Some such things once in-grained; are very hard to let go off unless they are bound by order and force.

A similar analogy/example:

I studied at a place, where people were very particular about cleanliness.
- Students never threw bits of paper or garbage anywhere on the road.
- Messes were clean. Once a student left a tap open and he was told go close it by fellow student.

Now imagine this :
- One of the students graduates and goes out.
- What are the chances that he continues to be the same?
- If throwing garbage anywhere was ingrained in him, he would get back to his original mode in no time once the control was relinquished.
- It does not matter if he is in IT or not. (If the new company gets him a culture being that maintains the way of cleanliness, he may chose to be that way.)
- And this does happen because I have many such students from the same institute getting back to "their" elements. (And most of them are in IT).

So, per me being proper on road has nothing to do with what kind of industry we are in. Its more of upbringing I would say.

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2013 at 19:51.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:46   #4926
BHPian

Been observing for a week now that Old Airport Road from Domlur to Manipal hospital gets jammed immediately at the Domlur Flyover. Almost five lanes below the flyover converges into 2.5 lanes.
The road stretch is bad with some work being done on the LHS opposite to the petrol bunk and in front of The Leela. It always used to be slow moving traffic but not this bad.

Last edited by sansvk : 20th September 2013 at 19:48. Reason: edit
Old 20th September 2013, 19:49   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets not derogate any region/community on the basis of an unfortunate incident.

FYI, i am currently living in BLR, with a DL car. And back home, our WagonR has a UP- Noida, number.

I have seen educated people and uneducated people, both here and back in Noida/Delhi driving irrationally, and having very little to do with the car number they are having or the region to which they belong.

And the 6 months i have spent here, haven't observed non-KA cars only driving rashly.
IMO the worst drivers in Bangalore are the airport taxi cabbies and the Force traveller guys and ofcourse the two-wheeler drivers.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th September 2013 at 21:21. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Post edited accordingly.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:28   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Good that you have a sense of humor about this. My blood used to boil over on earlier such occasions.
Just one advice - Keep Calm and Smile. Never ever get down from your ride. If required, remind them of their mother and father, but from within your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think there is nothing IT about being proper on road neither from a region. That distinction should not exist. It mostly borders on the the fundamental upbringing and what we see around.
Since most of the rants and bad drivers were reported from IT industry, I too pointed out the same. Its all about the upbringing like you said.
For example, HERE Arun.Josie reported a Maruti Driving school car being driven in an unruly way. So eventually the student learns that. He/She may or may not be from IT Industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Lets not derogate any region/community on the basis of an unfortunate incident.
Apologies if that hurt your sentiments. Like I have mentioned, I am not generalizing. It's just an observation. May be the areas in which I drive have a higher concentration of vehicles from DL, UP and WB, which is why the frequency of spotting bad drivers is more. I am sure that you are a responsible driver and so are your known people. I am a bong and I am saying openly that I know many WB vehicles which are driven rashly, be it in B'lore or Kolkata. Its' all based on the set mentality. Like we say that in B'lore, TT, Sumos and Indicabs are worst drivers. We know that their mentality is so and nothing better can be done about that, apart from complaining and cribbing.
One more thing that you should think is the 'Power' behind these bad drivers. The guy I have reported may have higher connections in UP and he may cause me damage sitting in B'lore. So his attitude and power reflects in his actions.
Old 20th September 2013, 21:05   #4929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since most of the rants and bad drivers were reported from IT industry, I too pointed out the same. Its all about the upbringing like you said.

Soumyajit, Never meant it to mentioned in a rude way. If it came out like that, apologies.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:09   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit, Never meant it to mentioned in a rude way. If it came out like that, apologies.
Arrey no no. Nothing was rude !! We all are affected by unruly people. So we are in the same boat

Cheers to Us, who atleast try to maintain some decorum on the streets.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:32   #4931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arrey no no. Nothing was rude !! We all are affected by unruly people. So we are in the same boat

As every one notices roads are going from bad to worse. BTP themselves seem helpless thanks to potholes.

As I have been harping, the only solution is try to make off-beat timings work. I do agree and many would say, regular office hours are needed. But I would say strive to make off-beat hours happen.

I dont think any one has meetings all the times. And also they many not need tech-related discussions 24x7. If one's deliverables are well defined, an early arrival and an early departure schedule should work out. Or rather we should strive to make it work.

- We end up with a cool morning drive before seven.
- Empty roads
- Amazing FE
... The list is endless. And most importantly peace of mind.

Similarly if one leaves by 4, that also solves a lot of problems. Nowadays even many of the company transportation leaves by 5/5:30 (esp buses). Thats what one needs to beat. So that you dont get into chocking exits at IT parks.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:39   #4932
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows what happened at the marthalli underpass around 9:30 today? Was majorly jammed while coming from Ecospace.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:45   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I have been harping, the only solution is try to make off-beat timings work. I do agree and many would say, regular office hours are needed. But I would say strive to make off-beat hours happen
Absolutely true !! I used to work in Shift hours from 2007 - 2012. Used to leave at 6am and back at home at 4:30pm.

I moved to another project in March 2012, which operated during normal hours, from 9am till 6pm. I traveled from BTM to Whitefield (~25kms).
Took me 2hrs each way, either by bus, car, or bike. Took a toll on my health, personal life, sleep, etc etc.

From Oct 2012, I started going early to office. Used to start at 7am from home and start from office at 4pm. This quickly became the point of concern for fellow employees who complained that I didn't stay in office for normal duration. I straight away explained to my manager about my concerns of spending 4 hours in a day, on road. After a bit of hesitance, he accepted my work timings. Any evening calls with onshore, I used to take them from home.

Off late I managed to convince my manager to operate from Ecospace, where also we have our company facility. So we booked desks in Ecospace and now I travel less. I still continue to go and leave early. I start from BTM around 7:30AM and leave Ecospace at around 4:30PM. Takes me 30 mins each way, with moderate and light traffic. I have also started to ride my 9 yr old bike. Its slow (max speed 50kmph), but I don't have any urgency to reach anywhere. I stick to speed limits and drive peacefully.
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:46   #4934
Distinguished - BHPian

Due to VIP movement (presidents visit) HAL - Indiranagar - Raj Bhavan road will be having traffic restriction tomorrow around 5PM. Same route on opposite direction will see VIP movement on Tuesday morning 10.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:23   #4935
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues just told me that a fully loaded lorry's right side has gone into a drain where the hanging bridge just starts. This has created massive traffic jam, affecting those going from Ramamurthy Nagar side towards Whitefield/Marathahalli on ORR. Efforts are going on to clear the lorry using cranes.

And some massive potholes on Borewell road have been closed using mud. Let's hope it rains heavily again and all the mud turns into slush. I love driving through slush!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks