Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 18:32   #5071
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
About a week back, the local people constructed 2 humongous speed breakers on this road. They are so big that even the cars with the highest ground clearance would scrape. From what I heard, these breakers are illegal. They do not have the clearance from the local police.

These days, I rather wait at the hope farm junction than take this short-cut. Any BHPian nearby and faces the same?
This is the exact scenario that happens on ANY alternate road once the traffic on that route increases. I remember the first few times i used the bypass road behind Graphite India as a shortcut from EPIP junction to Marathalli crossing the railway line. A month later, the traffic on that route grew manifold and the speedbreakers which came up on that route would make an Innova scrape when going over them.
Old 17th October 2013, 18:56   #5072
BHPian

Guys, what is the condition of Hosa road? It was a good shortcurt from Sarjapur road to NICE road till last year; but the condition later deteriorated. There were huge speed-breakers & pot holes.I am planning to take this road from Kaikondranahalli to Hosur Road tomorrow at 5-00 AM (will be dark?).
Old 17th October 2013, 19:48   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how many of you guys face this issue. I stay on the Whitefield-Hoskote Road. My office is in the EPIP area. In-order to avoid the horrendous traffic jam at the Hope Farm intersection, many vehicles(including myself) make use of the narrow but good Dinnur main road after Kadugodi till the ITPL Main Road. About a week back, the local people constructed 2 humongous speed breakers on this road. They are so big that even the cars with the highest ground clearance would scrape. From what I heard, these breakers are illegal. They do not have the clearance from the local police.

These days, I rather wait at the hope farm junction than take this short-cut. Any BHPian nearby and faces the same?
Oh I face it everyday.
Though I have a Duster, I do not want to take any chances with these Mini Concrete Islands.

Last edited by acroback : 17th October 2013 at 19:51.
Old 17th October 2013, 20:00   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
A colleague of mine said he witnessed the accident. He said a Skoda (he didn't know the model name) overtook the Figo and then tried turning left to enter a fuel station. Figo ended up crashing into the Skoda.

There seems to be another accident near Doddanekkundi. Another two of my colleagues said there is a hole dug near Soul Space Arena, and an Audi and a BMW have crashed into it (even these guys don't know the exact models).

Although the roads are somewhat empty, the driving experience is far from pleasurable. You still need to go slow, thanks to the quality of our roads!
Dint your colleague spot the bus parked 100m further? It was neither the fault of the Figo nor the Skoda. The private bus had rammed into the Figo on the rightmost lane and then the Skoda that was on the leftmost lane. The bus that hit the cars was at 70+kmph whereas the cars were at 50s. The impact was so severe due to the bus ramming at the read, that the Figo was catapulted towards the median and tossed in the air. How do I know about it? Becoz, I was the one in the Figo. Better not blame the drivers who are in the middle of the accident or bear the brunt. It is not essentially them who are always at fault.
Electric is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 09:10   #5075
Senior - BHPian

I see traffic jams all around on Friday mornings, even before 8 AM. Looks like people want to start their work early on Fridays, so as to end the week a little early.

I started from home at 7.15 AM. It wasn't a blissful drive, although there was no traffic. There was thick fog from Sarjapur till Gunjur. I had to be careful, because there were vehicles on the road with all lights switched off!

Then there was long traffic jam at Varthur. I suspected an accident on Varthur lake road. Sure enough, a water tanker had toppled on that curvy stretch, blocking one lane completely. The jam on the other side had propagated from Varthur all the way till Forum Value mall, so there was a deadlock at Varthur Kodi circle.

Next jam was near Graphite India gate, just about 100 meters from Graphite India signal. For all vehicles coming from Doddanekkundi industrial area (behind Graphite India) to join Graphite India signal, the right turn in front of Graphite India gate is closed. I think that's a good move, even though it will cause me inconvenience every evening. But alas, only if motorists obeyed the rules! Also, the board is too small, and located a little too far from the junction. It wouldn't be easy to spot it for the first time, especially because it can get blocked by a large vehicle on the main road.

And there were no cops to make people aware of the new rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Dint your colleague spot the bus parked 100m further? It was neither the fault of the Figo nor the Skoda...
Apologies if my post sounded as if I was blaming Figo (you) or Rapid. I didn't ask my colleague anything, as he told me about it when I was describing my small accident.

It's possible that he didn't see the accident as such. It is quite likely that he did not spot the bus because the damage to the bus would have been minimal (since buses don't come with crash protecting bumpers, so most of the metal panels on the bus are quite high - so as to cause maximum damage to any car they crash into). And we frequently see damaged buses being used regularly.

As I find out from your posts in Accidents thread, no one was injured. That's a great news to hear! I am glad that your car didn't end up crashing into another vehicle once it went out of your control. In case that had occured, the blame would have been on you. Cops would have said you should have managed to control the car (even if you try to convince them that you don't know magic and you are not Magneto from X-Men). I say this from my experience:

A truck had once crashed into my car near ITPL. My car got pushed sideways and I ended up hitting a cyclist. Fortunately the cyclist wasn't injured, but the police put the blame on me saying I shouldn't have hit the cyclist. Well, only magic or Magneto could have avoided me from hitting the cyclist! Later I paid 450 Rs to the cyclist (that's all the cash I had), who was demanding 1000 Rs for his damaged cycle. I told the inspector to get the remaining money from truck driver.
Old 18th October 2013, 09:24   #5076
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies if my post sounded as if I was blaming Figo (you) or Rapid. I didn't ask my colleague anything, as he told me about it when I was describing my small accident.
Hi rohanjf, no offense meant and none taken. Very true that it would have be ghastly had the vehicle hit some other vehicle. But, I always maintain a car or two distance in front of me - some good habits that I got to learn when driving, that paid off. For someone who had not seen the accident in person, it is difficult to comprehend how it might have happened. As mentioned in the other thread, it was the seatbelts that saved us. I hope others who read the post consider the seriousness and how life-saving it could be.

Its appalling to see that the morons who hold no values to the rules and regulations, take advantage of the loopholes in the law to their benefit - in my case, the bus driver abandoned the vehicle - hence it wont be considered a hit-and-run criminal case and will have a utmost penalty of 1500 INR for rash and negligent driving. For all that has happened, we are left to suffer.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:20   #5077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The closest point of ORR from my house, Iblur, is about 15 KM away (it would have been 13 KM if there was no flyover construction near Carmelaram). I stay in a village called Sompura, near Sarjapur town
After I saw your latest post, I was again thinking why not ORR and then I remembered this post of yours. Having said this, We really need that railtrack to be better utilized by local trains. Imagine what a DMU can do to this stretch. Take the train near Decathlon and get down at a halt next to that ORR underpass close to Total mall and viceversa !

The authorities are not even thinking in that direction looks like.

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2013 at 10:21.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:36   #5078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After I saw your latest post, I was again thinking why not ORR and then I remembered this post of yours. Having said this, We really need that railtrack to be better utilized by local trains. Imagine what a DMU can do to this stretch. Take the train near Decathlon and get down at a halt next to that ORR underpass close to Total mall and viceversa !

The authorities are not even thinking in that direction looks like.
There are railway tracks running in all directions in the city which could be used. I dont think railways will allow one to be used for local services. They take years to even allow flyover construction restricting the construction time around. We have a lot of such centre controlled white elephants in this country.
Old 18th October 2013, 12:22   #5079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are railway tracks running in all directions in the city which could be used. I dont think railways will allow one to be used for local services. They take years to even allow flyover construction restricting the construction time around. We have a lot of such centre controlled white elephants in this country.
I agree. My only point was Bangalore-Hosur Line is (per my opinion) very highly under utilized. State govt should hold talks with Railways to use that section for local consumption.
Old 18th October 2013, 12:33   #5080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I agree. My only point was Bangalore-Hosur Line is (per my opinion) very highly under utilized. State govt should hold talks with Railways to use that section for local consumption.
There is actually a sustained effort happening to make this happen. I first read about it on praja.in. But as usual there are a lot of challenges and road blocks. The below link has a lot of details on the progress on this front.

http://praja.in/en/nammarailu

A couple of passenger trains on the Hosur-Yeswantpur stretch were started to gauge response. But unfortunately with minimal stations on this route, it is not really a feasible option to use.
One key challenge which I read in multiple places is the fact that most of the rail network around Bangalore is single line and non electrified (Eg: Bangalore- Hosur)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th October 2013 at 12:34. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 18th October 2013, 14:25   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how many of you guys face this issue.
About a week back, the local people constructed 2 humongous speed breakers on this road. They are so big that even the cars with the highest ground clearance would scrape. From what I heard, these breakers are illegal. They do not have the clearance from the local police.

Definitely some one with a damaged brain has designed this. They are humongous and are constructed to cover half of the road. May be the other half would come soon. It seems the locals of that area do not want general public to use their road. I doubt even a lorry can pass those 2 speed breakers.

Coming to speed breakers on the NH 4 towards Hoskote there is huge speed breaker. I was coming with a speed > 100Kmph and failed to notice that at night 11 PM and ended up getting a huge bang from the car and then from my sleeping wife. Till now I am wondering who is allowing this, must be a person whose brain is close to his rectum
sam_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 14:55   #5082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One key challenge which I read in multiple places is the fact that most of the rail network around Bangalore is single line and non electrified (Eg: Bangalore- Hosur)
As a train spotter, I can tell you that Bangalore has only points during the day and evening when the line is busy. When I say "busy", it is still nowhere as busy as Bombay and Delhi during peak hour. The train controllers in those two cities need to be applauded for how they keep rail traffic running smooth and safe with so much of freight and passenger traffic. In comparison, the line is far from saturated in Bangalore.

If they are saying that lack of electrification and single line being a challenge, that is just retarded. An approx 12 trains ply on the Bangalore - Hosur stretch on a daily basis. This is heights of under utilization. With just 12 trains, the line is practically empty. It is the same story on the neighbouring branch lines like Yelahanka, Tumkur and Mysore. Heck there's a line running quite close to the airport. All they had to do was extend the line by a few km to the airport, run diesel or electric multiple units in intervals of 15min and you have connectivity to the airport. Why bother building a new metro. You have to look at the cost comparison.

Bringing back the topic of the already existing Bangalore Hosur line, there is gap of almost 5 hours between trains from late morning to late noon. To me, the investment of switching over from meter gauge to broad gauge was a complete waste. MG was doing just fine. The line was under utilized back then as well.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:13   #5083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About a week back, the local people constructed 2 humongous speed breakers on this road.
I am a regular here. Call me crazy but I travel this way when I head home in the evenings from ITPL to Cox Town. Yes; you read that right. It is faster though the distance is twice over the standard Whitefield Road to Cox Town. This road is such a mess even as early as 4PM. I quit using this road two years ago.

Those speed breakers are nasty. Due to a medical condition, I've been using the office cab to travel. I insist on the cab taking this inner road too and long detour as I am the only one in the cab. The under belly scrapes. No getting away from it. The other day I was observing these two kids standing on the side of the road watching every vehicle negotiate this mini mountain. Every time a car scrubbed, these two blokes would start laughing. It annoys me to see them behave that way. They are laughing and they are the one's who created this mess. I hope this highly unscientific speed breaker goes away or is corrected. There is a need for one on either side as a lot of folks take that S bend in a spirited manner. I too will have to switch to the Hope Farm signal if this speed breaker is not corrected. Heck, even two wheelers end up slamming their under body.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:27   #5084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Oh I face it everyday.
Though I have a Duster, I do not want to take any chances with these Mini Concrete Islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
It seems the locals of that area do not want general public to use their road. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Those speed breakers are nasty.I too will have to switch to the Hope Farm signal if this speed breaker is not corrected. Heck, even two wheelers end up slamming their under body.

Isn't it possible to complain about this in the BTP facebook page? If the speed breakers are illegal, won't they take action? Why don't you give a try with pictures?
Old 18th October 2013, 16:12   #5085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Isn't it possible to complain about this in the BTP facebook page? If the speed breakers are illegal, won't they take action? Why don't you give a try with pictures?
Will try to get some pictures. I hear this has already been taken to the local police/panchayat, however, don't think any action will be taken soon.

The last time I traveled through this road, I could see a smirk on the face of one of the locals as cars scraped.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks