Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 17:01   #5191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The problem is - who pays fines? Most of the traffic rule violators beg the traffic inspectors not to bill the offense, and prefer to instead escape with a smaller bribe amount thrust into the hands of the cop or constable.
I used to toy with the idea of having daily quotas for the beat cops on traffic duty. That they have to collect fines totaling say, Rs. 10K in a shift if on duty at a busy signal (let us also offer them a percentage of total fine collected as an incentive). This will lead to aggressive fining, but that in turn might improve the discipline.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:08   #5192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I used to toy with the idea of having daily quotas for the beat cops on traffic duty.
I'm sure there is some sort of unofficial 'quota' at play already. The poor beat cops probably have to give some share of their 'collections' to their higher ups! Problem is that the collections are not official nor recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This will lead to aggressive fining, but that in turn might improve the discipline.
It will just result in aggressive fining. And that's all. We've seen it at work already, cops will have a line of bikers at each intersection to 'check papers' while letting the bigger vehicles break more serious rules right in front of their eyes and go scot-free!
Old 12th November 2013, 17:17   #5193
Senior - BHPian

Over the weekend, it took me 3.5 hours to reach dobbaspet from Marathalli, a commute of around 70 odd kms through ORR and NH. Traffic everywhere, and just after the penya flyover, certain morons on sorpios, sumos and even a lorry took a u turn, went on the wrong side to enter the service road to avoid paying a toll. I wonder where do people get these ideas from. All in all, the most frustrating drive ever.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:55   #5194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Over the weekend, it took me 3.5 hours to reach dobbaspet from Marathalli, a commute of around 70 odd kms through ORR and NH. Traffic everywhere, and just after the penya flyover, certain morons on sorpios, sumos and even a lorry took a u turn, went on the wrong side to enter the service road to avoid paying a toll. I wonder where do people get these ideas from. All in all, the most frustrating drive ever.
You could have used from BIAL Road from KR Puram to Devanahalli, then use the NH207. Not sure of the road condition after Devanahalli, but its definitely longer.
Old 13th November 2013, 07:43   #5195
BHPian

Quote:
Hi dass,
I went by the same ORR at about 8:30AM on 09.11.13, everything (including Nagavara, hebbal signals & the 2 level crossings just prior to NH4 were free flowing)

You can consider, Marathahalli - Hebbal - Yelahanka - Doddaballapur - Dabaspete the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
You could have used from BIAL Road from KR Puram to Devanahalli, then use the NH207. Not sure of the road condition after Devanahalli, but its definitely longer.
Hi sansvk,
NH207 between Devanahalli & Doddaballapur is in good condition and the level crossing just before before DB'Pur is sometimes witness to traffic jams, with the Y intersection (Road from Yelehanka & Devanahalli merging).

However, I've not traveled to Dabaspete from DB'Pur recently.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:13   #5196
Team-BHP Support

Last Diwali weekend I drove the entire NH-207. From KR Puram, I went to Hoskote. Even though there is a turn off before Hoskote to go to BIAL, I preferred NH-207 as it has hardly any speed breakers. Reached Devanhalli from Hoskote in 30mins. After that another 45mins to Doddbalapur and 45mins to Dobbaspet.

Roads are excellent with very less traffic. First time ever my Figo gave me 20Kmpl.
Old 13th November 2013, 10:35   #5197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
You can consider, Marathahalli - Hebbal - Yelahanka - Doddaballapur - Dabaspete the next time.
+1 to Swiftdeep. Thats the best option. 207 via Devanahalli is quite a detour. But also to note Doddaballapur SH has traffic even in morning hours. One can witness some trucks. And there is als a railway crossing. And this is an active one as its Hyderabad railway line.

207 is brilliant end to end.
Old 13th November 2013, 14:29   #5198
Senior - BHPian

Good that they've finally opened up both the lanes on the Madiwala underpass. It is better now in the afternoons. But I seriously think the cops should be more stricter with the private buses picking up passengers from near there in the late evenings.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 14:30   #5199
Senior - BHPian

Darn, its hightime we need a separate lane for 2 wheelers.
Too much of chaos created by the 2 wheelers,and if they die, its any other vehicle's fault, other than their own.

See the image below. My office campus has recognized the nuisance of 2 wheelers, even in the campus. Hence they have segregated the road and made a separate lane for 2 wheelers.
Why can't the Govt. do something like this on major city roads ?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-forumrunner_20131113_142603.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 13th November 2013 at 14:34. Reason: Rotated Image; Added Text
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 15:20   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Why can't the Govt. do something like this on major city roads ?
Some ten years ago, World Bank gave a report to the then government of Karnataka, urging them to build separate lanes for two-wheelers. As expected, the government said it is not feasible (without conducting any trial run, probably not even doing a feasibility study) and used the report for wiping.

It may not be possible to have separate lanes for bikes on all roads, but it is definitely possible to implement lane rules on roads like ORR. Oh, wait, first let them fix the ORR first. No one can peacefully use this road. Dividers are not in place, pedestrian overbridges are non-existent, lane separators are never painted, U-turns are not closed even now, signals are not yet installed below the ORR flyovers, entry from and exit to service roads are unscientific, speedbreakers exist even now in a few places, speed limits and lane rules are not imposed.

Damn, this city has more problems than solutions! We are forced to live here and suffer for bread and butter.
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 15:31   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Some ten years ago, World Bank gave a report to the then government of Karnataka, urging them to build separate lanes for two-wheelers. As expected, the government said it is not feasible (without conducting any trial run, probably not even doing a feasibility study) and used the report for wiping.
Wow !! I never knew this part. When I hear these loot stories, I sometimes feel like becoming "Aparichit" and punishing the wrong-doers.

Quote:
It may not be possible to have separate lanes for bikes on all roads, but it is definitely possible to implement lane rules on roads like ORR. Oh, wait, first let them fix the ORR first. No one can peacefully use this road. Dividers are not in place, pedestrian overbridges are non-existent, lane separators are never painted, U-turns are not closed even now, signals are not yet installed below the ORR flyovers, entry from and exit to service roads are unscientific, speedbreakers exist even now in a few places, speed limits and lane rules are not imposed.
Exactly my thoughts. The ORR and Hosur Road are the most needed ones. Atleast they can start implementing something on Hosur Road and in the meantime, "try" and fix the ORR.
I strongly feel that the concept of Service Road has to go. Instead introduce them as 2 wheeler lane.

Its a nightmare to drive on ORR. After 3 months, today I drove beyond Ecospace, to Whitefield. I was so lost and confused what to do every second. I had to become one of them to save a scratch on my car. Unfortunately almost everyone simply came, scratched, banged and went their way.

Quote:
Damn, this city has more problems than solutions! We are forced to live here and suffer for bread and butter.
That's the hardest truth. Its all about the sinner stomach.
Old 13th November 2013, 16:57   #5202
BHPian

Good to have a thread for rants and I am purely ranting here.
This is about the pathetic state of Bangalore roads. I have spent considerable amount of time in many metros across India and small towns. However most of my last 10 years are at Bangalore. The civic agencies have hit rock bottom. It can not get worse than this.
My everyday commute is very restricted to CBD and surrounding areas. Travel from Koramangala to Indiranagar for work and on weekends to MG Road/Commercial street.
The moment I step out of my lane, The average sized pothole looks like a manhole and some of them look like a landmine crater. There is a drainage which leaks for one day after 10 minutes of rain. Inner ring road and Indira Nagar 100ft/80ft road look like village mud roads with less than 50% of the road in usable state.
Rather than blaming two wheeler riders for not following road discipline I salute their courage for being able to ride in roads like these. There have been countless cases of accident due to these roads.
Its like Joker is the mayor of Gotham city.

The company of a Mustang replica, John Wayne and ICE help me survive this daily ordeal everyday.
http://www.lovethispic.com/image/19463/john-wayne

Guys share your secrets too.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:14   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
That is a very strong statement to make

If you have lived in Bangalore all along I am sure you will agree this was not the case with this city. Rampant development, no civic/city planning, an exodus of people thronging this city has resulted in the infrastructure to collapse and the current state it is in today. I do not want to go into the modalities of why and how however the governance has failed in keeping a check on the development of this city. Who is to blame?
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 18:44   #5204
Senior - BHPian

This is not a rant, rather a to BBMP for finishing the patchwork between Container Depot on Whitefield road to the KR Puram Tin factory junction.
The opposite direction has been done as well.

Although the patchwork is not in level with the road surface, it is better than holes and craters that can dislocate mechanical and physical parts.

Someone please re-lay the ring road fly over from Tin Factory towars Hebbal now!
Old 13th November 2013, 19:04   #5205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
That is a very strong statement to make

If you have lived in Bangalore all along I am sure you will agree this was not the case with this city.
Strong statement only because it is true!!
This was not the case some time in the past does nothing to reduce the pain that people living there now have to suffer.
I was lucky enough not to have strong enough ties to the city to hold me back and suffer. So i packed up and got out of there. Best decision I ever made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks