Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 19:33   #5206
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
That is a very strong statement to make

If you have lived in Bangalore all along I am sure you will agree this was not the case with this city. Rampant development, no civic/city planning, an exodus of people thronging this city has resulted in the infrastructure to collapse and the current state it is in today. I do not want to go into the modalities of why and how however the governance has failed in keeping a check on the development of this city. Who is to blame?
I think it's a plain oversight on the authorities. The development and the growth was well known. It did not happen overnight that the civic authorities were caught out.

They just did not bother to keep up or plan with foresight.

In comparison Hyderabad did a much better job. Even NCR, Noida have some planning.

Another example is Kolkata. Worst traffic but it has not become worse just the same. Kolkata at one time was synonymous with power cuts. Now they don't even need DG sets in apartments or UPS. No power cuts at all.

Bangalore being IT hub has power issues, water issues. Basically all the basic amenities have issues.

I haven't stayed all along in Bangalore but been here since close to 15years and not much has changed. 1999 had outer ring road, had inner ring road and it's the same still. I can say that the BETL, Metro, BIAL and NICE are the few good things that have happened over the years but even those were delayed and a royal pain for residents.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 20:31   #5207
BHPian

Guys, have been away from Bangalore on a holiday back to my sleepy home town of Ranchi. That's when I realize how good or bad Bangalore is.

The roads (and it pains me to say this) are far better even here than a metro ( well almost a metro) like Bangalore, however the traffic sense is far far worse (mostly owning to less width of roads). So guys, its not all bad in Bangy.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:10   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
That is a very strong statement to make
I am sorry brother. I think you have always been a Bangalorean. I understand that my statement is quite harsh.

I remember when I was in a child, how people (school teachers, uncles and aunts) used to describe our state's capital. No doubt, the first point was always about excellent weather. Second point was mostly about beautiful and neat roads, compared to pothole filled roads of my home town.

However, I still remember many cheating stories by autorickshaw drivers I heard in the 90s. Seems like these guys have always been the same

Coming back to the roads, decent asphalting work is extremely rare. For example, I have been using Sarjapur road daily since 5 years. This road was non-existent between ORR junction and Sarjapur town until 2006. Then the road from ORR junction till Wipro corporate office was rebuilt from scratch in 2006. In another two years, the stretch from Wipro corporate office till Dommasandra was rebuilt from scratch.

Ever since, the road has only seen patchwork, but no new layer of tar. In fact, the 2 KM stretch between ORR junction and Wipro corporate office has patches over patches, upto 3 layers! This 4 lane road also had some horrendous speedbreakers, which were removed in the last one year. But the potholes created by this removal process have not been filled yet.

The road looks smooth to a casual observer, but a car driver (especially of a car with wobbly ride quality or extra soft suspensions) has to go very slow, and slow down every vehicle following her/him. I was stuck behind a Honda CRV yesterday, who was driving his car as if it has the ground clearance of a Ferrari.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:47   #5209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Coming back to the roads, decent asphalting work is extremely rare. For example, I have been using Sarjapur road daily since 5 years. This road was non-existent between ORR junction and Sarjapur town until 2006. Then the road from ORR junction till Wipro corporate office was rebuilt from scratch in 2006. In another two years, the stretch from Wipro corporate office till Dommasandra was rebuilt from scratch.

Ever since, the road has only seen patchwork, but no new layer of tar. In fact, the 2 KM stretch between ORR junction and Wipro corporate office has patches over patches, upto 3 layers! This 4 lane road also had some horrendous speedbreakers, which were removed in the last one year. But the potholes created by this removal process have not been filled yet.

The road looks smooth to a casual observer, but a car driver (especially of a car with wobbly ride quality or extra soft suspensions) has to go very slow, and slow down every vehicle following her/him. I was stuck behind a Honda CRV yesterday, who was driving his car as if it has the ground clearance of a Ferrari.
I never knew that it was a 4-laned road! For the most part, it's wide enough for just a car and a rick, thanks to the many vehicles (tankers, tractors, etc) parked on the roadside, deep potholes on the road edges and miscellaneous obstacles like stones, cement blocks, construction materials etc.

There are some deadly speed/car-breakers on either side of the junction where the Jail road joins Sarjapur road

I had to drive to the Wipro office almost every other day for about a month, and I got a busted front suspension bush - these trips accelerated the wear to a great extent. Now I simply book a cab and leave my car parked in the office parking lot
Old 14th November 2013, 12:23   #5210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I know this is a common sight at most traffic lights in Bangalore, look at this example:
these guys are in the middle of the intersection at a large junction and the next green light is for the traffic from right side to turn but still these fellows don't care and want to get that extra second ahead and are in a perennial hurry

To the ones circled in this picture and others who drive similarly (if you ever see this), remember:
1. this is not a race
2. even in a race you need to stay behind the line

And to top it all, I get honked as a 2 wheeler behind me wants to make a U-turn right in front of oncoming traffic! God help us.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-not-race-1.jpg

And another similar one:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-not-race-2.jpg

EDIT:Linking a picture from another thread - here it looks like these guys are going straight, they're actually making a right turn! - Here

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2013 at 12:32.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 16:35   #5211
BHPian

BTP Traffic Notice as appeared on their FB

Sunday, 17-November-2013
Traffic Restrictions: 6AM Onwards

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1422597_583088368423541_865527521_n.jpg

Government of Karnataka
In view of Shri Narendra Modi, the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujrath’s visit to Bangalore City and Public Meeting at Palace Ground on 17-11-2013 the following traffic changes has been made from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.

I. GENERAL VEHICLES DIVERSION
1. Vehicles moving from Bangalore City towards International Airport,
Basaveshwara Circle (Chalukya Circle) - Old High Ground Police Station - Junction Left Turn - Windsor Manor Junction - Cauvery theatre Junction Left Turn - Bhasham Circle Right Turn - Jeevaraj Alva road -Sadashivanagar Police Station Junction “U” Turn-C.V. Raman road - Mekhri Circle Left Turn - Bellary road (Airport Road).

2. Vehicles moving from Bangalore City towards International Airport,
M.G.Road - Kamaraja road -Thomas Café - Wheelers road-I.T.C. Bridge - Maruthisevanagar (M S Nagar) - I.O.C. Bridge - Banasawadi Main Road Left Turn - Bangalore Outer Ring road - Hennur Ring road Junction-Nagavara Junction Right Turn - Thanisandra Main Road - Hegde Nagar - Kattigenhalli Left Turn - Bagalur Cross Right Turn - International Airport Road.

3. Vehicles moving from International Airport to East and South-East side of Bangalore City,
International Airport - Hebbal Flyover Left Turn - Nagavara Junction - Tannery road - Hennur Ring road Junction – Kalyananagar – Ramamurthy Nagar – on to K.R.Puram

4. Vehicles moving from International Airport to West, South & North part of Bangalore City,
International Airport - Hebbal Fly-over down ramp Right Turn - Kuvempu Circle (BEL Circle) Left Turn - New BEL road - Sadashiva Nagar Police Station Junction Right Turn - BHEL Circle (C.N.R. Rao Circle) Left Turn-Circle Maramma Circle Right Turn - Margosa road - K.C. General Hospital Junction Left Turn - Githanjali Theatre Right Turn - Link Road Right Turn - Swasthik Circle - Ananda Rao Circle - Majestic.

II. ROUTE FOR THE VEHICLES COMING FOR THE PUBLICE MEETING

1. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Mysore road.,
Mysore road – Nayandanahalli left turn – Summanahalli – via Dr. Rajkumar samadi – Tumkur road right turn – Goraguntapalya junction – left turn – towards BEL on to Outer ring road – Hebbal flyover.

2. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Tumkur road.,
Tumkur road - right turn – Goraguntapalya junction – left turn – towards BEL on to Outer ring road – Hebbal flyover.

3. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Kanakapura road.,
Kanakapura road – Ring road junction – left turn – Kadirenahalli – Padmanabhanagar Junction – PES College junction – Nayandanahalli – Summanahalli – via Dr. Rajkumar samadi – Tumkur road right turn – Goraguntapalya junction – left turn – towards BEL on to Outer ring road – Hebbal flyover.

4. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Bannerghatta road.,
Bannerghatta road - left turn – Puttenahalli underpass - Kanakapura road – Ring road junction – left turn – Kadirenahalli – Padmanabhanagar Junction – PES College junction – Nayandanahalli – Summanahalli – via Dr. Rajkumar samadi – Tumkur road right turn – Goraguntapalya junction – left turn – towards BEL on to Outer ring road – Hebbal flyover.
OR
Bannerghatta road – Jayadeva flyover – right turn – Silk Board junction – Marathalli – Hennur junction – Nagavara – Hebbal flyover.

5. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Hosur road.,
Hosur road – Silk Board junction - Marathalli – Hennur junction – Nagavara – Hebbal flyover.

6. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Old Madras Road.,
Old Madras road – K.R. Puram hanging bridge – Hennur junction – Nagavara junction – Hebbal flyover.

7. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Bellary road.,
Bellary road – Devanahalli – Chikkajala – Hunasemarana halli – Kogilu junction – Kodigehalli gate – Hebbal flyover – Mekhri circle.

8. Vehicles coming for the public meeting at Palace ground from Doddaballapur road.,
Doddaballapur road – Major Unni Krishnan road junction – Yelahanka Police Station junction – right turn – Yelahanka bypass junction – Bellary road – Hebbal flyover.

II. HTVs DIVERSION

1. HTVs coming from Chikkaballapur side and going towards Tumkur road,
- Bellary road - Doddaballapur road junction near Devanahalli - right turn towards Doddaballapur road – Doddaballapur – Doddabelavangala - Dabaspet – on to Tumkur road .

2. HTVs coming from Tunkur road - going towards Bellary road and Chikkaballapur side,
Tumkur road - Dabaspet left turn – Doddabelavangala – Doddaballapur – Devanahalli junction – Bellary road.

3. HTVs coming from Chikkaballapur - going towards Old Madras Road.,
- Bellary road - Left turn at Devanahalli – Budigere cross – N.H-207 – on to OM Road.

4. HTVs coming from Tumkur road - going towards Mysore.,
- Tumkur road - take diversion at Bangalore International Exhibition Centre at Maadavara and on to NICE road towards Mysore.

5. HTVs coming from Hosur road - going towards Tumkur.,
- Hosur road - take left turn to NICE road near Electronic City and on to Tumkur road.

6. HTVs coming from Kogilu cross and Doddaballapur road.,
- Doddaballapur road – Major Unnikrishnan road – New town Yelahanka – Vidyaranyapura main road – on to Tumkur road.

III PARKING AT PALACE GROUND.

1. Parking facility has been arranged for the Buses coming for the function at Mango Mandi, Sharukh Khan ground and Circus ground (Buses coming for the function from Hebbal Outer Ring Road – Hebbal flyover – Bellary road – Mekhri Circle – up ramp left turn – Jayamahal road on to parking ground)

2. Parking facility has been arranged for the Cars and two wheelers coming for the function at main Palace Ground (Mekhri Circle – Ramanamaharshi road and on to Palace main gate).

3. Parking facility has been arranged for Tempo Travelers, Trax at Veterinary University (Route – Hebbal flyover – U turn at Sanjaynagar – Bellary road – on to Veternary University Campas Hockey & Football ground).

IV. PARKING AROUND PALACE GROUND

1. Parking facility has been arranged for BMTC / KSRTC buses at BMTC Depot-28 near Hebbal Flyover.

2. Two-wheeler Parking facility has been made on Railway Parallel road in between Chowdaiah road near BDA junction upto Seshadripuram Railway Under Bridge.

3. For Four-wheeler parking facility has been made at Vasanthanagar Play ground opposite Kodava Samaj.

V. NO-PARKING RESTRICTIONS

1. On Bellary road from Hebbal Police Station junction upto HQTC junction on both sides.
2. On Veterinary University enroute to Hockey and Football ground.
3. On Ramana Maharshi road from Mekhri Circle upto Cauvery Junction.\
4. On Chowdaiah road from Rajbhavan upto Cauvery Junction.
5. On Sir C.V. Raman road from Mekhri Circle upto IISc junction.
6. On Jayamahal main road from Mekhri Circle upto Cantonment Railway Station.
7. On Nandidurga road from J.C. Nagar Police Station to Idgah Maidan junction.
8. On Palace road from Basaveshwara Circle upto Palace main gate, Vasanthnagar.
9. On Palace Cross Road from Vasanathanagar Palace main gate upto BDA junction.
10. On Vasanthanagar main road from Palace road junction upto Cantonment Railway Station.

It is advised to avoid roads around Palace Ground i.e Ramana Maharshi road, J.C Nagar Main road, Nandidurga road, Palace road, Palace cross road, Sheshadripuram main road, K.K. Road, Chowdaiah road, Bellary road, Sir C.V. Raman road, Kodava Samaja road.
Public are requested to co-operate Traffic Police.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by iVento : 15th November 2013 at 17:00.
iVento is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 16:53   #5212
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or has there been a significant increase in the road traffic and congestion post the Dusshera/Diwali weekends ?
Old 15th November 2013, 16:55   #5213

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
[left]BTP Traffic Notice as appeared on their FB
now thanks to this Another monster of a Traffic Jam - Courtesy NaMo.

They should BAN political Rallies @ Bangalore Palace grounds - NO Exceptions to Anybody Period.
starfanrld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 18:12   #5214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfanrld View Post
now thanks to this Another monster of a Traffic Jam - Courtesy NaMo.
luckily, this is on a Sunday. Hence the regular traffic on the road would be less, so expect less traffic congestion. People living in northern parts of Bangalore, stay indoors, relax at home this sunday morning.
For people going to the airport, this would be the day to learn an alternative route! Could be useful in an emergency some other day, who knows!

Quote:
They should BAN political Rallies @ Bangalore Palace grounds - NO Exceptions to Anybody Period.
Absolutely. We have seen more than one occasion where the entire stretch around palace grounds has been choc a bloc after a political rally. In fact police are denying permission to conduct musical nights at palace grounds since a few months due to the expected traffic congestion. High time this extends to political rallies too.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 18:12   #5215
BHPian

UPDATE on Bangalore Traffic Situation for Sunday, 17-Nov-2013
(As updated by BTP)

In view of Shri Narendra Modi, the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujrath’s visit to Bangalore City and Public Meeting at Palace Ground on 17-11-2013, the public vehicle movement from International Airport towards North, West & South part of Bangalore city has been made as follows...

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1458552_583100108422367_905361244_n.jpg
Old 15th November 2013, 19:27   #5216

okay folks. All of us have gone to the root cause and blamed the 'pinheads', 'authorities' and god knows who all. Can we as the BHPians take up a small cause of 'no horn' and see how we fare. lets publicise this and may be stick the 'no horn' and team bhp stickers on our cars. what say?
Old 16th November 2013, 18:19   #5217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnjyoti View Post
okay folks. All of us have gone to the root cause and blamed the 'pinheads', 'authorities' and god knows who all. Can we as the BHPians take up a small cause of 'no horn' and see how we fare. lets publicise this and may be stick the 'no horn' and team bhp stickers on our cars. what say?
One of those things which should be the cornerstone of driving in the civilized world; unfortunately, where we drive is anything but that

The horn is actually a safety aid in India and perhaps ranks with the ABS' and the airbags of the world. It ensures that you catch the attention of those who think they are strolling in their backyard and those who steer out from their parking positions and into the main road (and in your direct drive path) with the eternal hope that all other motorists are figments of their imagination.

Seriously, if it means making a difference to your safety, dont be shy to pump that space on the centre of your steering. Am usually conscious near hospitals, schools etc but the creativity that I see in my fellow motorists mean that the blare is never far from my mind!
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 19:10   #5218
BHPian

Traffic pile up at Yeshwanthpur (towards city), been still since 15 mins. A goods & passenger have an issue to settle and hence the hold-up.
Old 16th November 2013, 20:24   #5219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
UPDATE on Bangalore Traffic Situation for Sunday, 17-Nov-2013
thanks for the update. I have to go to the Airport on Sunday around 9.30am.
So its best to avoid Mehkri Circle.
To folks who know the Airport well, Is there any other entrance to the Airport other than the trumphet flyover? I have seen a few roads around the periphery of the runway while seated in a flight.
Is there an entrance from the BIAL waste collection centre side/CISF office side? On google maps there seems to be a road, this would save a lot of kms when coming from the Budigere side.
Old 16th November 2013, 21:15   #5220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnjyoti View Post
I have been driving without using horn for the last 5 years. I am sure I have used it no more than 5 times, under extreme emergency situations, in all these years. I also have some instances when my fellow passengers jumping in to honk while I am driving and then berate me... . I am very confident of my driving skills and the condition of my car and never really felt the need to honk.
vasoo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks