Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 02:42   #4456
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
While on the move, I do not let the heroes on two wheelers pass my car. The way those people cut into the lane makes me feel they might get under my car. Hence if I spot a racer in the making in my ORVM, I make sure he does not have any gap to pass me.
This turn into problem when the biker is faster then you and you are basically blocking him from overtaking while you should move to left lane to let him pass (saying in general).

I came across one such idiot recently on Hosur Road while riding my Wego. He was going slow on the right most lane. I have this habit of honking to such cars/bikes, who go too slow blocking the right lane, to ask them to move to empty lane on left (90% of time it does not work but I hate such drivers/riders).
Well this car had some space on right so I press my horn to get more space while I try to overtake. This guy does not buzz but I still honk. He finally gives some space but as soon as I come parallel to him, he slows down while trying to wedge me in between but I keep stand and slow down but I do not fall back. He seemingly wanted to have some argument with me but I just made hand signs to him pointing to the empty lanes on left and sped off.

But I'll also agree to your comment as most of time they do not wait for you to move and simply squeeze through.
Old 11th May 2013, 09:41   #4457
Distinguished - BHPian

I do take a call on whether to let them pass or not. On an empty road, U will be fairly fast and the only two wheelers that do try to overtake are usually of the >150cc category. So I do let them pass without giving a cry. The main problem is in crowded roads and bumper to bumper traffic. Inspite of knowing this, they want to overtake and move ahead, which is practically useless. For this, the first accelerate, overtake your car, cut into your lane and finally BRAKE. If they pass away at the same speed, it wont be a problem. But there is no space ahead so they brake at their will. For a person with good reflexes, this is manageable.

The very next day after we purchased the wagonR, my dad who is 51, with 30 years of driving experience had to face this. A biker squeezed to the right and my dad had to look left to make way for him. The very next moment he passed, he braked and our car nicked his tail lamp, and he fell down. Our car received minor scratches and he too had not sustained injuries. After passersby had seen his style of sweeping across vehicles, he got some lessons and he agreed to pay up for the damage. I buffed the bumper and the scratches reduced so we did not bother about it. After this incident, I decided not to let such people pass me. Even if they rear end me, it would be better than having them under my car even after letting them overtake me.
Old 12th May 2013, 09:41   #4458
Senior - BHPian

First-ish thunderstorm of the season, and the Old Airport Road between HAL signal and HAL police station got waterlogged. A massive traffic jam was building up (fortunately, I escaped as I was passing through the area during the storm). Shape of things to come, I guess.
Old 12th May 2013, 23:15   #4459
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting sign boards, speed limit board says "80" - not one but TWO boards, but right next to the second board there is a mega speed breaker. Strange. On the left side there is a sign board for speed breaker too. .

Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo00fg26.jpg  

Old 13th May 2013, 10:35   #4460
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend updated that Hosur road has been blocked on both sides just near Electronic city I gate. Just now.

Last edited by ramzsys : 13th May 2013 at 10:39.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:11   #4461
BHPian

I usually go for a drive on the Dommasandra- Chandapura Road from the Muthanalur Cross on Sarjapur Road till Chandapur Market joining the Hosur Road. This road is a beautiful tarmac with curves and greenery all around.

Saturday evening also, we (with my wife) decided to hit this road, the weather being pleasant. All was find, except the traffic has increased on this road and the chaos at the Chandapura Market.

When we took a right turn at Chandapura market to join the NH and ride towards Silk Board, there was huge traffic. As I started climbing the ramp to join the main road from service road, a Indicab infront of me suddenly started reversing Then I saw a few more bikes also coming in opposite direction on the NH with high beam ON! I was so frustrated. Later we found that there was an accident where a mini bus had toppled due to broken axle resulting in jam!

So this means, if you see a jam people can start reversing and coming in wrong direction on a NH (or for that matter any road)? This is simply ridiculous.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:35   #4462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
So this means, if you see a jam people can start reversing and coming in wrong direction on a NH (or for that matter any road)? This is simply ridiculous.
You are talking about NH, i faced the same thing once on the Inner Ring road about a year ago. A lot of rain and water accumulation opposite EGL led to a jam towards Indiaranagar. Some smart cabbies decided to go the opposite way and drive on the otherside, this was followed by a lot of our educated colleagues some of them in so called SUVs. Soon there was a gridlock on the other side, people who escaped that tried to climb the indiranagar flyover from the opposite side, blocking the road and bringing traffic to a standstill. I stuck to my side and managed to clear the water logged road in an hour or so, saw a lot of smart people who had taken the U turns in front of me standing on the flyover shouting at each other.
Heard it took a couple of hours to sort that mess out.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:17   #4463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
You are talking about NH, i faced the same thing once on the Inner Ring road about a year ago. A lot of rain and water accumulation opposite EGL led to a jam towards Indiaranagar. Some smart cabbies decided to go the opposite way and drive on the otherside, this was followed by a lot of our educated colleagues some of them in so called SUVs. Soon there was a gridlock on the other side, people who escaped that tried to climb the indiranagar flyover from the opposite side, blocking the road and bringing traffic to a standstill. I stuck to my side and managed to clear the water logged road in an hour or so, saw a lot of smart people who had taken the U turns in front of me standing on the flyover shouting at each other.
Heard it took a couple of hours to sort that mess out.
Yup, this is the sad story. This was not the first time, I faced such problem. What you wrote had happened with me on the Dairy Circle flyover. The traffic towards Forum had built up till the middle of the flyover. I was coming from NIMHANS trying to get on the flyover when I see a mini bus/ van trying to make a U turn on the flyover and head back! In this process he is shouting at people who are obviously acting as a hindrance to his smart move
Old 15th May 2013, 09:36   #4464
BHPian

I live in a layout where right now a lot of the roads, cross roads etc are being laid fresh. i.e. from a mud road, they're graduating it to a tar road. So as an initial process they've dumped a lot of granite stones mixed with what I guess is cement and they've spread it using a bulldozer, and tried to flatten it using a road roller, which didn't do a good job. This stretch is at least half a kilometer.

My question is, what should my air pressure in this scenario? I own a diesel i20, and I normally fill 32 for all the tires. Should I go lower, higher or stay the same?
Most of the days I will be the only person in the car, and will have to go through the above said "road" twice or even four times a day.
Old 15th May 2013, 22:40   #4465
Senior - BHPian

So I was pushed to death today by a speeding Ritz.

It was around 6:00pm and the roads were unusually empty leading from HSR Layout flyover till the signal after the flyover. I was doing around 70 and came down the flyover and saw that the signal was green. So I maintained the speed when suddenly the signal turned red (I was about 100+ mts from the signal). There was a white Ritz alongside me. The vehicles ahead of him slowed down, where as there were no vehicles ahead of me in my lane. The Ritz suddenly changed lane and tried to merge into my lane. I honked hard and screeched my brakes and slided to the left. Thankfully there were no cars onto my left. The Ritz realised his mistake and moved back to his lane. All this happened with 2-3 seconds !! Phew !! We stopped at the signal and I looked into my RVM and saw a 40ish man along with another 40ish man. Well dressed, spectacled. I seriously didn't expect all this from a man of that age. So I didn't bother to get down or argue.

One more trend I have been seeing in the last couple of months. The vehicles overtaking me, do not complete the overtake maneuver to merge into my lane. I see vehicles beside me overtaking me and their blinkers On to come back into my lane. So effectively they don't overtake me, I brake and slow down to let them overtake me and come back into my lane. Incase I am doing equal speed to the overtaking vehicle, they simply come closer to my car almost brushing against me. In order to save me and my car, I brake to slow down and let them overtake me and come back into my lane.

OT EDIT: I was watching this movie "Aparichit" on Zee Cinema just a while ago. Just thinking, if there would have been a real Aparichit guy in our real world, to take action against all crazy people doing crazy and illegal stuff.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 15th May 2013 at 22:46.
Old 16th May 2013, 11:11   #4466
Senior - BHPian

I don't think I will ever be able to drive in Bangalore without making a mistake.

I take the Borewell road daily. This road has a few playschools. Many people come by big cars to drop their children. I have never seen any of these people switching on the left indicator to indicate that they are going to move aside and stop (note that there is not much space for a car to stop, and the cars always end up blocking some part of the road). Many a times, I have been stuck behind such cars.

So today I was following a green CRV and this guy moved to the left right in front of such a playschool. I assumed that he was going to stop, so I overtook him. After a few seconds, I saw him following me closely. That's when it struck me. He had moved left to avoid a pothole. Since I don't slow down at potholes, I ended up overtaking him and infuriating him. He followed me closely for the next 2 km or so, trying to overtake. I would have given him way if there were no oncoming vehicles.
Old 16th May 2013, 16:16   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So I was doing around 70 and came down the flyover and saw that the signal was green.
Mate, speed limit on the ORR is 60. You may get booked. Please be cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Saw this guy driving very close to divider near Trinity cricle. What if someone hit his car and how will he get out?

There was enough space on his left.
Some people are extremely attacted to medians, other vehicles, etc. They drive very close to it. Maybe it gives them the feeling that "something" is there to rub against.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th May 2013 at 18:23. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 17:55   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
It is 80 KMPH. However, no guarantee of him getting booked
Our cops book whenever they want to book.

Lately I have seen the same old thing started i.e. cops stopping bikes and checking docs without them breaking signals. Is the rule changed?
Old 16th May 2013, 18:01   #4469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Thanks mate !! I was stuck in aweful jams earlier on the road, so was making up for the lost time in the relatively traffic free zone.
But yes, I should keep it within the limits considering my own safety atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I think it is 60 for 4 wheelers and 50 for 2 wheelers. The HSR zone is cop free, so chances were slim.
Old 16th May 2013, 18:03   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post

Lately I have seen the same old thing started i.e. cops stopping bikes and checking docs without them breaking signals. Is the rule changed?
Nope the speed limit on ORR is indeed 60kph and not 80. It used to be 80 earlier, but it was brought down to 60 quite some time back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks