Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:58   #2956
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Finally the authorities have widened the road near the KR Puram bridge today.
Any more info on this? What changes have been made to widen it?

Quote:
The traffic was blocked all the way till Ramamurthynagar today morning. Took deviation though Vignananagar and reached K R Puram railway station.
Can you elaborate on this deviation?

Last edited by sanjaykk : 3rd February 2012 at 12:58. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:20   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
However, the pruned branches were still piled up all along the median on both sides of the road, posing a new danger to motorists on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
This is the state of road since Friday Morning. Today is Sunday. Hope it's cleared
It's been a week; but the debris is still on the road; seems to me there is no intention of clearing it at all.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:23   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It's been a week; but the debris is still on the road; seems to me there is no intention of clearing it at all.
This is in Bangalore Mirror as well. See here
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:28   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally the authorities have widened the road near the KR Puram bridge today.
Cheers! Which part of the road was widened, the bottleneck directly under the flyover (hanging bridge) while going to whitefield or the part near the college (coming from whitefield).
Whatever they do this area will always remain chaotic due to busses making this place like a bus terminal.
Old 4th February 2012, 17:58   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Whatever they do this area will always remain chaotic due to busses making this place like a bus terminal.
My view is that the KR Puram interchange is an urban transportation planning disaster, and cannot be salvaged easily or cheaply It is not just the buses - the area is also a major railway interchange, now Metro terminus, bus and train boarding point (KR Puram station handles about 80 trains daily) - plus the interchange between a major orbital road (ORR) and a major radial road (NH4) was not designed properly at all (try coming on the ORR clockwise and turning towards Ulsoor/Indiranagar).
Old 4th February 2012, 18:31   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers! Which part of the road was widened, the bottleneck directly under the flyover (hanging bridge) while going to whitefield or the part near the college (coming from whitefield).
Just to verify if this was true, i went that way on my motorbike at 10.45am. They have indeed removed some portion on the left side starting from ticket counter till around 20mts ahead. All autos were parked there. There was traffic but I went smoothly without stopping.
Old 5th February 2012, 18:19   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Today I had a pretty bad day on the road:
1. in front of Total Mall on old airport road, the traffic was pretty less in the morning. From quite far, I saw a man trying to cross the road. I slowed down a bit, but expected the man not to cross till I pass (there is no zebra crossing, and there was no traffic behind me), but this man continued to cross while giving me a stare. Strange!!! Seems like he owns the road.

2. There were a lot of vehicles parked and there was a lot of crowd near Command hospital (any idea what was going on there?). An autorickshaw guy came from my left and suddenly tried squeezing in between me on the right lane and a BMTC bus on the left lane. The psycho bus guy started moving to the right lane. I just panicked and stopped. Luckily the auto guy also stopped and I managed to continue in my lane.

3. The same psycho bus guy abruptly changed from left lane to the right at the signal near command hospital. The road at the signal is quite wide and then it gets narrow suddenly. The bus was on extreme left and there was no reason for him to move to the right, since there were no other vehicles. Probably he hates being overtaken.

4. An Ambassador, reg. no. KA 02 G 7677, with POLICE written all over it, stopped at the signal near Ashok Nagar police station when the light turned red. Within a few seconds, he broke the signal and continued.

5. Saw a kid riding an army scooter (posted in relevant thread)

6. Saw an accident near Maharaja hotel in Koramangala (posted in relevant thread)

7. A donkey of a driver in a TN 38 registered Micra kept honking all the way from Soolikunte till my house near Sompura (that's 5 km) even though there was no way he could overtake me or I could let him go ahead (because there was a tipper, followed by a truck, followed by another two cars, and then me. And there was oncoming traffic on that 2 lane road throughout the distance).

Last edited by rohanjf : 5th February 2012 at 18:21.
Old 5th February 2012, 18:30   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Any more info on this? What changes have been made to widen it?
They have removed a section of the barricades put up by the Railways. It seems that the Railways have been provided land in lieu of this portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Can you elaborate on this deviation?
There is this newly constructed railway underpass on the left side when coming from Ramamurthynagar just before Benniganahalli bridge. As I was riding the two wheeler, I followed a Meru and cabs going that way. The road is not very good - very narrow in a few stretches and many turns along. Good only in situations when the main road is blocked. I finally reached the back side of K R Puram railway station. A diversion on the left was taken by the cars - I suppose they join the main road somewhere near Mahadevapura or Garudacharapalya. I took the narrow path on the right and Lo! reached that tunnel where all the two wheelers emerge facing the oncoming traffic after the bridge. .

( This tunnel like structure is so narrow and low that anyone without a helmet might break their head trying to cross under that if they are careless. To add to that bikes cross the tunnel both ways at the same time. I hope the authorities close this way)
Old 5th February 2012, 20:35   #2964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My view is that the KR Puram interchange is an urban transportation planning disaster, and cannot be salvaged easily or cheaply It is not just the buses - the area is also a major railway interchange, now Metro terminus, bus and train boarding point (KR Puram station handles about 80 trains daily) - plus the interchange between a major orbital road (ORR) and a major radial road (NH4) was not designed properly at all (try coming on the ORR clockwise and turning towards Ulsoor/Indiranagar).
very well said. I don't know what these guys were smoking when designing the infrastructure in this area, but they got it majorly wrong. imagine a flyover from OMR to ORR and nothing in the reverse direction. what were they thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Just to verify if this was true, i went that way on my motorbike at 10.45am. They have indeed removed some portion on the left side starting from ticket counter till around 20mts ahead. All autos were parked there. There was traffic but I went smoothly without stopping.
The problem was under the hanging bridge where 4 lanes of traffic bottlenecked into 1. the area to the left being parking for rail commuters (I think). So is this where they have widened?
Old 5th February 2012, 20:57   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
The problem was under the hanging bridge where 4 lanes of traffic bottlenecked into 1. the area to the left being parking for rail commuters (I think). So is this where they have widened?
Yes. Let me try and get a snap tomorrow.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:19   #2966
BHPian

I noticed while going from Domlur to Agara via the innner ring road, the short cut just before the Sony world junction leading all the way to jakkasandra seemed to be closed. Going down the main road saw signs at every turn off into the short cut (Maharaja's singnal, Raheja residency signal and even an jakkasandra) stating that BWSSB works are on and the road is closed.

Added another 40 mins to my commute yesterday due to the all the cars now taking the main road + the signals. However, have to hand it to the cops, they were there at even 9:45pm (all the above mentioned signals) directing traffic. Couldnt help but feel sorry for them - there is only so much that they could do.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:26   #2967
Senior - BHPian

As we are aware the seat belts are compulsory from Feb 1 in Bangalore. So today I decided to check out the compliance level on Bangalore roads. i was shocked and pleased to see more than 75% compliance from cab drivers who are often portrayed as villains. The icing on the cake was a driver of an old amby cab driving with seatbelts on. But private cars as usual the compliance was less than 50%.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 15:18   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You ambush a vehicle, it could maybe run over you, or it could try and escape, and hit someone else down the road.
Police assume that when flagged, all vehicles will stop. Not all stop. In some cases the police get injured, as it happened here:

Quote:
A 26-year-old police constable, attached to the Madiwala police station, was hit by a speeding car near the Silk Board junction on Hosur Road in the early hours of Tuesday.

The constable, who is suffering from a compound fracture in his right leg, is undergoing treatment at HOSMAT hospital. The injured police constable, Basaiah alias Basavaraju from Belgaum, had joined the department recently.

His posting at the Madiwala police station, just 14 days ago, is his first. Mr Basaiah and another police constable were deputed to check suspicious vehicles near the Silk Board junction.

"The place is busy even after midnight. After robberies and other crimes in the City, policemen were deputed round-the-clock at the junction. Around 1.40 am on Tuesday, Mr Basaiah saw a speeding car coming from BTM Layout towards HSR Layout.

He flashed the torchlight, indicating the driver to stop. But he did not and hit the iron barricade before crashing into Mr Basaiah. The car later rammed into the Hoysala patrolling vehicle. The other police constable flashed a message on his walkie-talkie and the car was intercepted. The driver has been arrested,” the Madiwala police said.

The car driver has been identified as Manu Swayambhu Trivedi from Uttar Pradesh. Trivedi, a software professional, is working as a project manager with an IT company in ITPL, Whitefield.

The police said Trivedi was drunk at the time of the accident. “He was totally out of control. The impact of the accident has completely damaged the front portion of the car bearing the registration number KA 01 MH 4382. After he was arrested, Trivedi was subjected to alcohol tests. He has since been released on bail,” the police added.
Source: Drunk techie rams car into constable, flees | Deccan Chronicle
Old 15th February 2012, 15:36   #2969
Senior - BHPian

On Monday morning, I saw a cab (as identified by black-on-yellow number plate - a Logan) rear-end into a BMTC Volvo (the ubiquitous 335E) on westbound Old Airport Road under the Domlur flyover (the place where once upon a time a U-turn existed). The two drivers were involved in a conversation in Kannada, after which they flagged an auto and helped the sole passenger of the car who was bleeding profusely, into it. I think the cab driver escaped unscathed because he was wearing the seatbelt, but the passenger banged his head into the seat in front of him. Makes a case for wearing the seatbelt even if you are in the rear seat, I suppose.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 16:22   #2970
Senior - BHPian

All you fellas driving on ORR will have some smile on the face next week as the one ramp in Bellandur and the second ramp in HSR is likely to be thrown open to traffic next week as per confirmation from BDA engineers.

Let us hope they will keep up the promise.
Fauji is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed