Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 17:14   #2971
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Fauji, thanks for the update.
However, these days i have observed that its the junction near Carnation which seems to be perenially blocked. Also, all the U turns seem to be going in loops, with vehicles blocking each other.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:57   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Is today the day of breaking down?

Saw a big truck, a bus and an Indicab stuck on Bannerghatta Road. Major dead lock from Jayadeva to Dairy circle.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:06   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw a big truck, a bus and an Indicab stuck on Bannerghatta Road. Major dead lock from Jayadeva to Dairy circle.
It indeed was terrible, especially between Sagar Junction to Dairy Circle. I have only this option to get to work and this stretch keeps getting worse. Keep reading on road widening proposals for Bannerghatta road, but I guess this has as many opponents as proponents.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:37   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Keep reading on road widening proposals for Bannerghatta road, but I guess this has as many opponents as proponents.
Some roads cannot be widened - local opposition, land acquisition issues etc. In such cases, there really should be some serious thought given to developing alternate roads. Case in point is the Old Airport Road - a major radial connection between the IRR and the ORR. Where is the space to widen it?

[In Mumbai, where a similar connectivity issue exists between the WEH and the EEH, they built the JVLR in the late-nineties and now it seems that a Goregaon-Mulund link road through Film City is in the pipeline]
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:01   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
[In Mumbai, where a similar connectivity issue exists between the WEH and the EEH, they built the JVLR in the late-nineties and now it seems that a Goregaon-Mulund link road through Film City is in the pipeline]
Interesting thought. The only place I have seen this within the city is when the IRR came up which is a boon to the city.

The army owns a huge amount of contiguous area throughout the central part of the city, and it is probably inapt to suggest taking some of this away or building fenced roads such as IRR through them. A few thoughts though:

(A) Tunnels

Tunnels are expensive, but a tremendous aid to traffic de-congestion - except in Ghat sections, I have not seen them employed anywhere else in India, especially not in cities. Is it time that we seriously started considering tolled tunnels and expressways within city limits, which are run exclusively through automated toll readers (like in Singapore)?

(B) Covering open drains

There was a proposal few years back to cover the many open wide drains in the city (and they run through many parts) to build alternative arterial roads. Of course there would be environmental considerations especially when the sewage is overflowing, and where pillar support for these roads could cause blockages, but might solve open dumping into these drainage lines.

Probably a proposal the civic authorities should revisit and see whether there is a method by which it can be safely re-looked at.

(C) IRR Freeway/Flyover

This was again a proposal which I read a few years back which got shelved and is worth a relook. Build a flyover on the Inner Ring Road stretching from Indiranagar 100 ft. all the way to Banashankari Temple with ramps at appropriate junctions (and probably beyond to complete the circle?). Will be a massive pain during construction but probably the end benefits are enormous.

Finally, I am waiting for the day when all phases of the Bangalore Metro are completed. Will shift to the same for office commute.

Last edited by root : 17th February 2012 at 13:30. Reason: Grammatical Correction
Old 18th February 2012, 23:25   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Guess where the Cabbie gets inspiration from.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo0070.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo0069.jpg  

Last edited by ramzsys : 18th February 2012 at 23:27.
Old 18th February 2012, 23:41   #2977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

(A) Tunnels

Tunnels are expensive, but a tremendous aid to traffic de-congestion - except in Ghat sections, I have not seen them employed anywhere else in India, especially not in cities. Is it time that we seriously started considering tolled tunnels and expressways within city limits, which are run exclusively through automated toll readers (like in Singapore)?
Tunnels are extremely expensive. And I mean, EXTREMELY! When our Govt. 'seems' to have no money to build proper roads in the first place, I can't expect them to build tunnels through the Ghats.

Also, the sort of traffic it sees doesn't really warrant the need for tunnels, I suppose. It may be introduced once traffic swells up to such as extent that the current SH/NH roads aren't fit enough.

Quote:
(B) Covering open drains

There was a proposal few years back to cover the many open wide drains in the city (and they run through many parts) to build alternative arterial roads. Of course there would be environmental considerations especially when the sewage is overflowing, and where pillar support for these roads could cause blockages, but might solve open dumping into these drainage lines.

Probably a proposal the civic authorities should revisit and see whether there is a method by which it can be safely re-looked at.
Now this is an idea that can and should be implemented. Why leave drains open at all? And the BWSSB must find a way to treat the sewage.

In Singapore, I walked right next to a big open drain and did not realize it until I actually peeped into it! Here in Bangalore, or anywhere in India, you'd know of the existence of a drain from miles away! So treating the sewage would be a better proposition.

Quote:
(C) IRR Freeway/Flyover

This was again a proposal which I read a few years back which got shelved and is worth a relook. Build a flyover on the Inner Ring Road stretching from Indiranagar 100 ft. all the way to Banashankari Temple with ramps at appropriate junctions (and probably beyond to complete the circle?). Will be a massive pain during construction but probably the end benefits are enormous.
That's going to be pretty hard. Considering that the Domlur/Indiranagar flyover already exists and moderates traffic from Indiranagar, Koramangala and Old Airport Road.

A high-speed railway network/mono-rail connecting Indiranagar and Koramangala (and surrounding areas) that runs along the IIR may be more feasible than an elevated toll-road that runs through the heart of the residential areas of Bangalore.

Quote:
Finally, I am waiting for the day when all phases of the Bangalore Metro are completed. Will shift to the same for office commute.
That's going to take a while
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 08:52   #2978
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(B) Covering open drains

One that was actually implemented was the road over the drain connecting Chord Road (near Attiguppe junction) to Mysore Road (near Gali Anjaneya temple). Sadly there is no-to-extremely-slow progress on this. What remains is less than 20 feet of the bridge to connect it near the temple but I don't see the will power with the powers that be to get this done
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 09:18   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's going to be pretty hard. Considering that the Domlur/Indiranagar flyover already exists and moderates traffic from Indiranagar, Koramangala and Old Airport Road.
I don't think IRR is a big problem at all (at least, between Domlur and Ejipura junctions). In fact, it is a very smooth drive most often. A few things can make this drive really painless:
  1. Install pedestrian overbridges at a few strategic places (in front of EGL, for example).
  2. Move the U-turn point from where it is currently, to be a T-junction in front of EGL with signals controlling it.
  3. But ensure 6 lanes of through traffic too - perhaps a one-way flyover over the junction proposed in the above point? (If you know Chennai, I am talking of a junction+flyover combo like the one in front of IIT at Kotturpuram).
  4. Bus bays. Every bus stop on the IRR blocks at least 1.5 lanes on the road.
  5. To avoid congestion at Ejipura signal, enforce the no U-turn, no right-turn rules for both directions strictly. Right now people do these turns with impunity.
  6. To avoid congestion on the Domlur flyover, extend the median across the Double Road/100 ft Road junction.
  7. Standard things like enforcement of no-parking/no jaywalking rules, fenced sidewalks etc.

Except for the flyover suggestion, everything else above is fairly cheap to implement, I think.
Old 19th February 2012, 09:24   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Tunnels are extremely expensive. And I mean, EXTREMELY! When our Govt. 'seems' to have no money to build proper roads in the first place, I can't expect them to build tunnels through the Ghats.
Hi Suhas, I meant more from a city perspective where it can aid smoother transition and signal-less interchanging, where road expansion is no longer a viable option. But I agree, it is very expensive and funding it is next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
One that was actually implemented was the road over the drain connecting Chord Road (near Attiguppe junction) to Mysore Road (near Gali Anjaneya temple). Sadly there is no-to-extremely-slow progress on this. What remains is less than 20 feet of the bridge to connect it near the temple but I don't see the will power with the powers that be to get this done
That's really sad. It can be quite meaningful to the city as these drains run across it, and can really provide alternatives. You can find the drain map for Bangalore at BWSSB's website here.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:12   #2981
Team-BHP Support

Some good points being brought forth here.

Quote:
I don't think IRR is a big problem at all (at least, between Domlur and Ejipura junctions). In fact, it is a very smooth drive most often. A few things can make this drive really painless:
The IIR is a boon, honestly. It's only during peak-hour that we see chock-a-block traffic, and only at the traffic-junctions.

Quote:
Install pedestrian overbridges at a few strategic places (in front of EGL, for example).
I don't see any point in pedestrian over-bridges.

I mean, it makes a lot of sense. But only if they're actually used! Unfortunately, in India, pedestrian over-bridges are reduced to advertisement hoardings and banners.

Often, I see people dart across the road, right under a pedestrian over-bridge! *bangs head*

Quote:
Bus bays. Every bus stop on the IRR blocks at least 1.5 lanes on the road.
This is something that Bangalore desperately needs. I don't see bus-bays anymore. There is one on RV Road, and even that is covered in debris and rubble. Bus-bays will solve problems. Most bus-stops are somehow before or after traffic-signals. And this seriously hampers smooth flow of traffic. Bus-bays will solve this.

But then again, we've got amazingly smart bus-drivers who will overtake buses at bus-stops and actually stop next to buses.

Quote:
To avoid congestion at Ejipura signal, enforce the no U-turn, no right-turn rules for both directions strictly. Right now people do these turns with impunity.
Quote:
Standard things like enforcement of no-parking/no jaywalking rules, fenced sidewalks etc.
Enforcing rules hardly make a difference. The people will find ways of beating the system. I see a No-U-Turn junction being violated every day. And I generally get to see that junction for about 30 seconds. In that half-minute, I see as many as 10 vehicles violating the rule. So one can only imagine how many people break that rule every single day!

Quote:
Hi Suhas, I meant more from a city perspective where it can aid smoother transition and signal-less interchanging, where road expansion is no longer a viable option. But I agree, it is very expensive and funding it is next to impossible.
Tunnels in Bangalore? We do have those, and they're called matchboxes. Sorry, magic-boxes!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th February 2012 at 12:13.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:55   #2982
BHPian

Guys good news! The flyover at Bellandur junction one way from Agara to Intel side is open from today
ankan.m.blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 14:00   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

The traffic between Meenakshi Temple to NICE road is closed due to a function in temple located near the gottigere junction. The diversion from Meenakshi temple towards NICE road is through the dodda kammanahali road(the lane near to the Prestige Nottinghill), due to multiple bottlenecks on this road there was a heavy traffic jam around 12:00 PM.

Not sure when the main road will be open for traffic again.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:03   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The traffic between Meenakshi Temple to NICE road is closed due to a function in temple located near the gottigere junction.
@arun_josie - is it still like that - I was thinking of going down to Bannerghatta National Park over the weekend and will take an alternative route if the situation persists

Regards
Vijay
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:00   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
@arun_josie - is it still like that - I was thinking of going down to Bannerghatta National Park over the weekend and will take an alternative route if the situation persists

Regards
Vijay
No, it was only for a single day - the day after Shivrathri. The traffic situation is as fine as Bannerghatta Road gets.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed