Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 15:52   #3031
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Any idea what was the fire about? What triggered it? That stretch is a vulnerable one. The last time I happen to pass by, there was chaos too! It wasn't because of the fire though. It was some accident, involving two speeding cars.
Old 29th February 2012, 16:53   #3032
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Any idea what was the fire about? What triggered it? That stretch is a vulnerable one. The last time I happen to pass by, there was chaos too! It wasn't because of the fire though. It was some accident, involving two speeding cars.
@Trueintrepid - I am not sure and maybe others can throw light on it. However, today morning was peaceful and I hope things are now under control.

OT: It seems to be a bad month for forest fires. Some forest fires are important as they are supposed to take care of the ecological balance in some ecosystems (at least from what I read on them) but they have enough obvious negatives too.
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:07   #3033
Team-BHP Support

The BWSSB work going on in Marathahalli is creating a big nuisance!

1) Vehicles coming from Whitefield intending to go towards Silk Board are not allowed to take the regular exit at night. So, they have to take the other ramp (the one coming up from ORR towards Marathahalli bridge), drive on the wrong-side and then drive wrong-side on ORR until the median crossing.

2) Vehicles coming from Old Airport and intending to go towards Silk Board cannot take a right and go down the ramp. So, they cross-over to the opposite lane at the Brand Factory median crossing, drive wrong-side and then go down the ramp (again, wrong-side).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:49   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) Vehicles coming from Whitefield intending to go towards Silk Board are not allowed to take the regular exit at night. So, they have to take the other ramp (the one coming up from ORR towards Marathahalli bridge), drive on the wrong-side and then drive wrong-side on ORR until the median crossing.

Is this restriction only at night?
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:53   #3035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Is this restriction only at night?
Yes, during the day vehicles are allowed to go down that ramp. But since, half that ramp is dug up for work, traffic moves extremely slow. At night, they block that road to speed up work.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:09   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The BWSSB work going on in Marathahalli is creating a big nuisance!
If you are coming from Domlur/HAL side and want to hit the ORR, there is this road through Doddanekkundi that will avoid the ever-messy Marathahalli bridge:

Goshala Rd to Unknown road - Google Maps

It is a good road (4 lanes in parts, 2 for the rest) with a few nasty speedbreakers, though. To take this road, just turn left in front of the IOCL petrol pump.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:21   #3037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you are coming from Domlur/HAL side and want to hit the ORR, there is this road through Doddanekkundi that will avoid the ever-messy Marathahalli bridge:

Goshala Rd to Unknown road - Google Maps

It is a good road (4 lanes in parts, 2 for the rest) with a few nasty speedbreakers, though. To take this road, just turn left in front of the IOCL petrol pump.
Yes, this is a good option for someone who wants to go towards Hebbal.

Another thing : for those who are coming from Whitefield and want to go on ORR,

if you want to go towards Hebbal - do not climb on Marathahalli bridge, take the narrow road to the left and drive alongside the flyover. At the T-junction, take a right, drive along side the railway track and cross over. Most importantly, do NOT follow the course of the tar road as you won't be able to change lanes to go towards Hebbal. Instead, take the muddy road that you hit once you cross the track and drive on the service lane. You will then connect on ORR just before the ISRO U-turn where you can turn over to the lane going to Hebbal

if you want to go towards Silk board - at the T-junction under the flyover, take a left, drive along side the railway track, cross over and then connect to ORR.

The worst part is coming from Whitefield and going towards Old Airport. There is simply no choice than to be stuck in the traffic. The alternative routes are too cumbersome and long.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd March 2012 at 10:22.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:28   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing : for those who are coming from Whitefield and want to go on ORR,

if you want to go towards Silk board - at the T-junction under the flyover, take a left, drive along side the railway track, cross over and then connect to ORR.
Where does one connect to ORR? Is it easy to find out?
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:44   #3039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Where does one connect to ORR? Is it easy to find out?
Yea, as you keep driving along the railway track, you'll come across the railway crossing. You can just follow all the vehicles, generally all of them are heading towards ORR.

The only hitch is, if some tanker or truck comes by, there could be a small build-up of traffic as the lane is narrow.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:47   #3040
BHPian

Milk Revolution??

On my daily commute, I turn right from Bannerghatta Road towards Forum on Dairy Circle. Many a time, I notice large Milk Tankers bearing on the wrong side of the road from the Nandhini Milk Factory from the direction of Concorde Motors back to Dairy Circle, so that they may avoid the slightly distant U-Turn at Forum. Why can't KMF allow exit from their Bannerghatta Road Exit, as this will allow the tankers to take a turn in any direction using the Dairy Circle Interchange? It is quite a shame that no action has been taken against these tankers going on the wrong side till date.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:57   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is a good option for someone who wants to go towards Hebbal.
I sometimes prefer this route even if I were to go Silk Board-bound ORR too, just to avoid the mess that is Marathahalli market/bridge There is also the road through Yemalur to Bellandur, but it is very narrow (single lane) plus the point where it reaches ORR has no right turn towards Silk Board.
Quote:
Most importantly, do NOT follow the course of the tar road as you won't be able to change lanes to go towards Hebbal. Instead, take the muddy road that you hit once you cross the track and drive on the service lane.
I see what you mean. This is the location (the railway gate, the normal road and the muddy road all can be seen):

Google Maps

But can't you hit the U-turn even if you take the normal road? As far as I can tell, all service roads are two-way in Bangalore, aren't they?
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:21   #3042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
But can't you hit the U-turn even if you take the normal road? As far as I can tell, all service roads are two-way in Bangalore, aren't they?
I'm not sure. Aren't service roads by default supposed to be one-way?
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:24   #3043
BHPian

This is a shout out to a Silver Honda City (older model) with few Team BHP stickers. The incident happened in front of SAP labs in Whitefield around 5:40PM. In a rush hour B2B traffic, people were showing incredible lane discipline by not weaving in and out and there comes our hero driving through two lanes.
As usual few other people decide they can do that too and makes that stretch a chaos. Only reason the traffic was slow because of a red light at graphite India junction. Shame on you !!
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:22   #3044
Senior - BHPian

The entrance to Manyata Tech Park from Hebbal side is getting uglier by the day. The newly constructed flyover has only added to the mess. Once the flyover ends, there are like 8 different lanes trying to merge or cross merge into 4 different lanes. 4 out of those 8 lanes want to get into that single lane that goes into Manyata. I hope the authorities do something about the ridiculous entrance points into Manyata.

Quote:
I dont think so. Unless specifically mentioned, they are supposed to be two-way. Otherwise, how does one decide which way is the one way?

Last edited by amitoj : 3rd March 2012 at 11:24.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:34   #3045
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Libran,

I believe the whole point of a service-road is lost if it's a one-way. It's necessary that traffic flows both ways on a service-road. It is used by vehicles getting into the main-road, or driving off it.

Most Viewed