Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 09:50   #3001
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Couple of weeks back, there was a major crack down on other state vehicles evading road tax. So, its better to have the toll receipts and fuel bills when you drive down to bangalore. It will help for at least 6 months.
Where was this checking? I never saw any traffic police check some out of state vehicle unless you invite some trouble. More over court ordered any out of state vehicle can be on road for 1 year without paying tax there.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:09   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Where was this checking? I never saw any traffic police check some out of state vehicle unless you invite some trouble. More over court ordered any out of state vehicle can be on road for 1 year without paying tax there.
I have seen this check happening near NICE Road-Bannerghatta Road junction, near gottigere, near gopalan mall - bannerghatta road. These checks were done by RTO officials and not cops. Other Bhpians have mentioned that this check also happened near Mekhri circle and other parts of bangalore.

Edit: Whenever I saw this check, there were at least 5-6 other state cars stopped for check.

As far as I know traffic police doesn't have the authority to fine other state vehicles for road tax. But i might be wrong.

Last edited by arun_josie : 26th February 2012 at 10:11.
Old 26th February 2012, 23:25   #3003
Distinguished - BHPian

Today there was a huge pile-up on either side of the Arekere/Reliance mart signal on Bannerghatta road. Reason, due to a wedding reception in one of the Marriage halls, the guests have parked their cars(there would have been at least 20 cars) on the road side(towards Meenakshi temple) in the already narrow bannerghatta road. I have seen this happening several times and police doesn't take any action. Any idea whether this is a legal parking? OR Do these people(Marriage Hall) take permission from BTP.

The left lane is used for parking,
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc07868optimized.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc07869optimized.jpg  

Old 27th February 2012, 00:14   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Today there was a huge pile-up on either side of the Arekere/Reliance mart signal on Bannerghatta road. Reason, due to a wedding reception in one of the Marriage halls, the guests have parked their cars(there would have been at least 20 cars) on the road side(towards Meenakshi temple) in the already narrow bannerghatta road. I have seen this happening several times and police doesn't take any action. Any idea whether this is a legal parking? OR Do these people(Marriage Hall) take permission from BTP.

There is a mess due to parked cars, every time there is a wedding in that hall.

There is a parking space behind Farico reserved for that hall; but considering its size, it must be filling up fast and the spillover becomes messy.
Old 27th February 2012, 00:22   #3005
Team-BHP Support

The only way to curb this menace, realistically speaking, is population-control.

Or maybe the use of public-transport? But who would take the bus to go to a wedding?
Old 27th February 2012, 01:47   #3006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This is not just on BG road; there's a marriage hall (some YSR convention hall) near BEML Layout (ITPL main rd) and each time there's a wedding/function, cars line up on both lanes.

And this, when the entire stretch is a no-parking zone.

Clearly, the police are well-aware of the situation and yet can't/don't do anything for some reasons. That road is a puny 2-lane so imagine when 1-lane is blocked by traffic and most of the remaining by pedestrians.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:32   #3007
BHPian

Quote:

I have stayed all my life on Bannerghatta Road, believe me this problem has somewhat eased up now than before.

AGN in Arekere and Kalyani in Belikahalli are notorious for traffice jam. Whenever there is some influential persons kids reception, entire BG Road comes to a standstill in the evening.

Traffic Cops help the invitees to park the car on road, leave alone taking any action. If the reception is being attended by some mantri, god save us that day.

I rarely travel on bannerghatta in the peak hours, its always the inner road.

Regards
Old 27th February 2012, 11:24   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
\ Other Bhpians have mentioned that this check also happened near Mekhri circle and other parts of bangalore.
I travel daily from from my home in Yelahanka to office in Chamrajpet and back through Mekhri circle underpass, on international airport road. I have rarely seen any vehicle being checked by RTO. However There are routine checks by traffic police for overspeeding. The 'interceptors' usually station themselves near Veterinary college, waiting for speeding vehicles coming down the CBI flyover on the way to airport! Any body traveling towards airport, think twice before you hit accelerator pedal hard after mekhri circle!!

Last edited by sandsun7 : 27th February 2012 at 11:49. Reason: typo! been-being
Old 27th February 2012, 17:49   #3009
Team-BHP Support

Brace yourselves for stiffer auto fares :

Auto drivers to strike tomorrow - The Times of India

More importantly, more vehicles-traffic on the road during the strike.
Old 27th February 2012, 19:38   #3010
Senior - BHPian

^^ its amazing, they dont want to go to any place, complain of not getting passengers, never follow rules, fleece anyone they can get hold of and hold the city ransom demanding higher fares. Brilliant I tell you.
sammyboy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 23:01   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
^^ its amazing, they dont want to go to any place, complain of not getting passengers, never follow rules, fleece anyone they can get hold of and hold the city ransom demanding higher fares. Brilliant I tell you.
And to add to that, remember how they protested when the police decided to increase the fine on autorickshaw drivers for refusing to take customers?

Our police are too mild when it comes to autorickshaws, but will show their bravado on private cars. The top cops think that the public will be inconvenienced if auto people are striking, and public will curse the police and their reputation will go down.

I say, reputation of our police force cannot go down anymore, since it is already at rock bottom. Let the public be inconvenienced for a while. For how long will the auto drivers keep striking? One week? This one week's inconvenience will solve the problem for next 5 years!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 10:09   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Brace yourselves for stiffer auto fares

More importantly, more vehicles-traffic on the road during the strike.
They want to raise the minimum fare to Rs. 24 (2km) and Rs. 12 per km then onwards. In Mumbai the minimum fare is Rs. 11 (1.6km) and Rs. 7 per km. So, a 10km ride would cost Rs. 50 more in Bangalore than in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Let the public be inconvenienced for a while. For how long will the auto drivers keep striking? One week? This one week's inconvenience will solve the problem for next 5 years!
Well, I recall such an approach by the BMC back in the mid-nineties. The rickshaw strike lasted for a few days, but then slowly all of them came back on the road. While effective, I don't like such we-won't-listen-or-budge approach from the government, it is as good as telling a section of the population that you or your grievances don't matter to us.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 10:39   #3013
Team-BHP Support

People would rather stand in the heat waiting for the bus, have someone breathe down their neck in a jam-packed bus or sit in the car idling for hours in a traffic jam than deal with the auto drivers. If only they swallowed their pride and did their job, they'd have amazing operating margins.

If, only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The situation is still fine in the city areas. Around my appt in Marathahalli, there's a auto stand. There are around 5 autos everyday (the same ones); the drivers are busy listening to music, eating ice-cream, playing cards. But ask them if they'll ply, they ask for Rs. 100/- for a 8km distance!

They'd rather rot in poverty than gulp their ego and travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
While effective, I don't like such we-won't-listen-or-budge approach from the government, it is as good as telling a section of the population that you or your grievances don't matter to us.
Thing is - everyone's grievances except the common man's are heard. Because the auto wallahs, the truck drivers will strike; the mango person won't. So, public convenience and legal auto fares be damned, patronize the auto drivers.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 10:52   #3014
Senior - BHPian

In one of the towns, there was a auto strike for a month. The authorities did not care and the auto drivers climbed down from their stance without any assurances. I guess it would be difficult in Bengaluru to do the same.
The roads looked more organized today.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:19   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
In one of the towns, there was a auto strike for a month. The authorities did not care and the auto drivers climbed down from their stance without any assurances. I guess it would be difficult in Bengaluru to do the same.
The roads looked more organized today.
+1, This is OT, but in the above context. In Hassan, the govt introduced city buses last year. The buses became so popular that the auto's business came down drastically. What do they do then? They went on a strike. The strike lasted more than 15-20 days and it did not affect anything. So, promptly they went back to work.

As srishiva says, it may work in smaller towns where most of the destinations are walkable if you don't get an auto, but in Bangalore, it is different.

Most Viewed