Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:53   #3046
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is also the road through Yemalur to Bellandur, but it is very narrow (single lane) plus the point where it reaches ORR has no right turn towards Silk Board.
I think you are referring to the road which runs by bellandur lake. It merges with ORR at the bellandur junction. Since the bellandur flyover (one-way) opened a few days back, the traffic pressure on the service roads has reduced. Cross the service road at the Bellandur junction, there is a 'turning spot' under the flyover to go towards Silk board.
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:36   #3047
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

What a horrible mess ORR was yesterday night. From Cisco to all the way to Bellandur (and how much beyond that I dont know, I took a right turn at Bellandur). Although my home is just opposite Intel, I had to go to Bellandur and take right and come back on the pathetic interior lane. It took more than 30 mins just to negotiate hardly 1 KM :( This was at 8:30pm as I left office late to avoid the traffic in the first place.

Last edited by joslicx : 3rd March 2012 at 14:37.
Old 5th March 2012, 13:54   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning saw Kadubisinahalli underpass is having new divider laid. Hope they dont allow two way traffic through underpass and mess it up further.
Old 5th March 2012, 18:37   #3049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm not sure. Aren't service roads by default supposed to be one-way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think so. Unless specifically mentioned, they are supposed to be two-way. Otherwise, how does one decide which way is the one way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Libran,

I believe the whole point of a service-road is lost if it's a one-way. It's necessary that traffic flows both ways on a service-road. It is used by vehicles getting into the main-road, or driving off it.
Although I'm not sure if this holds relevance or significance in India, here goes :

Quote:
A frontage road (also access road, service road, and many other names) is a non-limited access road running parallel to a higher-speed road, usually a freeway, and feeding it at appropriate points of access (interchanges). In many cases, the frontage road is a former alignment of a road already in existence when the limited-access road was built.
In other situations they may be built prior to construction of the limited-access road. In urban areas, frontage roads are frequently one-way roads when they exist on both sides of a highway. In more rural ones, such roads are typically two-way.
Source : Frontage road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 18:50   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I'm not sure if this holds relevance or significance in India, here goes :

Yup, think I'd posted the same link here some months (years?) back. IMHO, service roads should be single lane roads with only uni-directional traffic. Otherwise, it really becomes chaos with people not knowing which lane to use how.
Old 5th March 2012, 19:18   #3051
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing some weekend experiences:
1.A new mini speed breaker has come up on Old Madras Road between RMZ Millenia and the Murphy Road signal when going from Ulsoor lake towards Indiranagar. This is unmarked so please be careful.

2.Hosur Road from Silk Board to NICE Road junction (4 junctions with signals on the way) - there are lots of metal barricades placed by the traffic cops and they're staggered on the left and right most lanes, most probably to slow down vehicles or stop them during checks. However, these are very dangerous since you suddenly encounter a narrow stretch between these barricades so be very careful when overtaking or when other vehicles try to overtake you.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 19:32   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yup, think I'd posted the same link here some months (years?) back. IMHO, service roads should be single lane roads with only uni-directional traffic. Otherwise, it really becomes chaos with people not knowing which lane to use how.
But the chaos (if any) is restricted to the service road. In my view, service roads should be two-way. Otherwise (assuming a demographic that follows traffic rules), local short-distance traffic ends up spending excess time and fuel doing short runs. In Bangalore, what will likely happen is that the short distance guys would go the wrong way on the service road anyway.

The one-way service road system makes sense if the two service roads are linked to each other via over and/or under passes at frequent intervals - which is not always the case on ORR, for example.

Last edited by binand : 5th March 2012 at 19:41.
Old 5th March 2012, 19:32   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are right. It does not hold much relevance in India where highways/roads are littered with speed breakers and numerous cuts in the median for the sake of traffic from opposite sides.

It would make sense for a service road to be a one-way only when it is adjacent to an expressway that has no traffic lights for miles.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:37   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Today morning saw Kadubisinahalli underpass is having new divider laid. Hope they dont allow two way traffic through underpass and mess it up further.
Not sure what are they up to, was surprised to see the divider as you were. Don’t be surprised if authorities come up with an idea of allowing traffic (two way) through the underpass , I don’t see traffic woes at this jn getting over soon.
Old 5th March 2012, 23:14   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

2.Hosur Road from Silk Board to NICE Road junction (4 junctions with signals on the way) - there are lots of metal barricades placed by the traffic cops and they're staggered on the left and right most lanes, most probably to slow down vehicles or stop them during checks. However, these are very dangerous since you suddenly encounter a narrow stretch between these barricades so be very careful when overtaking or when other vehicles try to overtake you.
Most of these barricades do not have any reflectors and they pose a threat to the life of motorists in the night. If you are new to this road , It would be difficult to spot them during night even if one is within the legal speed limit. There have been lot of complaints about these barricades in the Bangalore Traffic Police face book page with no result.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 23:41   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Most of these barricades do not have any reflectors and they pose a threat to the life of motorists in the night.
-- Wind
I wonder when the authorities will wake up to the unscientific, outdated, and outright illegal (threat to life) measures they take in the name of safe traveling. I wonder if any one of them has proper training in what constitutes appropriate measures to manage traffic. Anytime a cop takes over manual operation of a signal, instead of time based signalling, barricades are put up, axle-breakers (oops speed breakers) are built, do they actually measure what they are doing to those who actually follow traffic rules and end up paying the price.

It is sad, but that will not stop me from doing it, that law abiding citizens pay maximum penalty. Oxymora galore!!!

Last edited by root : 5th March 2012 at 23:42. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 6th March 2012, 12:30   #3057
Distinguished - BHPian

Last month travelling towards Chennai early morning had tough time making sure this barricades are not present on my way each time some truck comes in wrong side with its headlights in high beam. And now saw they are putting it just before Domlur flyover while coming from Ejipura side on inner ring road.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:48   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Yea, as you keep driving along the railway track, you'll come across the railway crossing. You can just follow all the vehicles, generally all of them are heading towards ORR.

The only hitch is, if some tanker or truck comes by, there could be a small build-up of traffic as the lane is narrow.
Reaching ORR towards Hebbal is as you mentioned, but to reach ORR, it is not so simple. Take a left, then take right after Munnekolalu bus stand. Follow the road. It'll reach ORR near Staples. I would not recommend it as it is incredibly crowded.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:46   #3059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Same is the case on the inner ring road connecting Sony World signal to Domlur flyover.

There are at least 2 instances on either lanes where the metal barricades are kept near the divider in a fashion, they could pose serious problems to vehicles.

I was behind a Sumo a couple of days ago and it swerved suddenly before the Dell office. Culpirt was an abandoned barricade. Luckily, I was maintaining quite a bit of distance between the Sumo and my vehicle and was ~40 km/hr so could manage to avoid the barricade comfortably.

These barricades should be by the road-side not hogging the right-most lane.
Old 6th March 2012, 18:33   #3060
BHPian

Couple of days before, I witnessed an accident just opposite to ISRO site on ORR near Marathahalli. A person on bike trying to take 'U' turn to go towards Marathahalli, there was a tata truck coming from chinapanahalli on the wrong direction. Now when I say wrong direction it means that he was trying to join the ORR going towards KR puram just by moving on from opposite direction. This turned out to be a bad day for the person on bike, he did not notice truck nor did the truck driver noticed the biker. The truck hit the bike and the person went down unconscious. The truck driver ran away from the spot. A person driving bolero was ready to help and he helped the biker and went to the nearest hospital. Not sure what happened to the person who got hit by truck. But I see that people do not have any value of human life in Bangalore, I would say in India on a whole.

In this particular junction, I see vehicles coming from Doddanakundi road, like tipper lorries, cabs, BMTC buses, two wheelers, the so called educated guys on cars, come on wrong direction just to go on to the ORR towards Marathahalli. They do not bother about the oncoming traffic. It’s very scary to drive on this particular junction. I do not know how many accidents would happen in the future, unless & until the cops take right actions or else this particular junction just in front of ISRO site would turn out to be a death trap for those travelling on vehicles. Attached a depiction of how traffic flows on this junction.

It's pathetic to stay in Bangalore. No traffic sense. No humanity. No empathy. No Sympathy. I have been staying in Bangalore for more than 15 years. The situation is worse if I compare 10 years before. You could see educated people honking, switching lanes without switching on indicators, coming on wrong directions, jump in front of you in toll booths if there is a small gap in front of your car through which they can sneak and go first and take the toll bill and what not. Oh!!! The list goes on & on.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-shot.jpg  

Most Viewed