Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 23:27   #1456
BANNED

^^ The thought is, if Singapore can do it, why can't We?

Won't be surprised when tomorrow someone drives on the wrong way and says "this happens in European countries too"
Old 20th April 2010, 08:21   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
1. NO KSRTC bus will go drive in the slow lane they will all drive in the fast lane, even if you honk/flash headlights - they will not budge - the conductor will put out the hand on the left side asking you to overtake from the left
Sorry buddy, this is not the state problem anymore, this is our country's fate. I've seen this with AP (worst) & TN.

Quote:
2. Almost every transport vehicle with a KA plate will drive slow in the fast lane and will NOT let anyone overtake from the right. A simple flash of the headlights to 90% of the transport vehicles with non-KA plates and he will simple move over to the left and give way.
I don't know what to say; I've seen few KA vehicles (private) allowing me to overtake from right by moving to left lane.

Quote:
4. You have to be very careful when a KA registered vehicle is in front of you - as there is no way of telling which direction he will swerve next ! A simple thing as an overtake can be very scary!
First - Sorry to all my folks in KA - I've the shiver when I see AP & KA registered vehicles now days. Last evening I saw a KA registered red Swift cutting through left side & not allowing an Autorickshaw at Alexzander square.

Quote:
All this makes me believe there is something fundamentally wrong with KA and traffic sense and enforcement of traffic laws !
IMO, its the frustration of traffic that causes them to drive like this in the city that has become a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Another one: Public transport city buses will stop dead in the centre of the road and private vehicle owners (heavy vehicles) will stop as soon as someone shows a hand. No showing of signal or anything like that. I saw a bus stopping right in the middle of the road w/o any traffic sense or regard towards other users.
Prince, this is again a national problem; last night at around 10:00 PM a govt bus stops about 10-20 feet ahead of the bus stop in the centre of the road blocking my way. I know this would happen near the bus stand but never expected it so soon. However due to my anticipation, I was almost in the right end of the bus, unfortunately, I could move further because of stoned median. He had no reason to stop like this as there was absolutely no traffic.

Now comes the bad part - I kept honking for about a minute until he moved; when he moved & I got the way, I went in front of him & stopped the car. Actually I wanted to get down from the car & give him my piece of mind, but then, I shrugged off & went away. I know I lost my cool for a second, but then I still regret for what I did; may be its part of his life everyday, but to me, I'm the person ranting over.

Quote:
Another weird thing: If a bus has stopped at a bus stop and there is already a bus in front, the the one at the back after collecting passengers will make a full right to get in front instead of waiting for the one in front to move first. I don't know whats the hurry. They aren't private operator anyway to compete for passengers.
Again a national problem.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:34   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Bangalore is not alone, this happens even here in Singapore and seen many drivers doing it.
Yeah,sorry, I don't live in Singapore and don't care 2 hoots to what happens elsewhere. I am concerned about where I live and drive. Besides there are strong laws for owning private vehicles (atleast there were) and public transportation is encouraged. They had shown a video of LA at rush hour and Singapore during the same rush hour. The traffic in the latter country was nothing. So I guess the bus drivers there can afford such luxuries. With jam packed roads like ours we cannot afford to do such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
^^ The thought is, if Singapore can do it, why can't We?

Won't be surprised when tomorrow someone drives on the wrong way and says "this happens in European countries too"
. Seems like its 'OK' if it happens elsewhere and if it happens in India whats the big deal. Well, it should not happen in India and we should be an example to everyone else. Why follow when we can lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Prince, this is again a national problem;

I have never seen this with PMT buses in Pune. They take their time on each route. They have to complete 3-4 trips per route per day and they take their own sweet time to do that. Atleast it used br that way. This does not mean that they are super disciplined but they wait till their turn comes and don't make sharp cuts making motoring impossible for other road users.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:23   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never seen this with PMT buses in Pune. They take their time on each route. They have to complete 3-4 trips per route per day and they take their own sweet time to do that. Atleast it used br that way. This does not mean that they are super disciplined but they wait till their turn comes and don't make sharp cuts making motoring impossible for other road users.
Oh!!! then that's the city I love
Jokes apart - then I think their norms are relaxed. Here in Chennai, I know they've to make 7 trips a day & the seniors (blue shirts) has to make 6 with some kind of swapping mechanism. So these seniors give away the last shifts to the younger ones & push off home early.

But in my stongest opinion, if sticked to lane discipline, the driving/riding is more than pleasure not only for self, but for everyone on the road.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:00   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Well, why do people drive like that in New York. Its all got to do with the traffic and the number of vehicles on the road. When I traveled to Mahabalipuram, on the ECR road, people were overtaking vehicles even if there is one vehicle coming from the opposite direction. I had to adjust to this. Since the road is a little wide, they expect you to move slightly towards the left and they will go over the centre lane dividing line. Could also be because as a outsider you blink first.

There are different ways in which traffic behaves. Even withing Bengaluru, you feel not so comfortable driving in areas which dont frequent much.
Old 21st April 2010, 23:48   #1461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry, this is not a national problem at all. Up in the North, Except Delhi. The bus drivers do this, and they know the consequences. They will be belted properly by the people around.

Dare any commercial driver talk and behave in a rude manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Since the road is a little wide, they expect you to move slightly towards the left and they will go over the centre lane dividing line.
Are you from Bangalore? Did you find this somthing new?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 21st April 2010 at 23:51.
Old 22nd April 2010, 05:48   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Sorry, this is not a national problem at all. Up in the North, Except Delhi. The bus drivers do this, and they know the consequences. They will be belted properly by the people around.

Dare any commercial driver talk and behave in a rude manner.
Somehow my mind refuses to believe this. Since Prince & You are confident, I'm getting my own doubts. I've seen this in 3 states, KA, AP & entire TN & I've sometimes involved in verbal arguments with TN drivers on this. Now days, I simply shrug off & see where & how to squeeze through these ppl, no more verbal arguments, afterall you can never straighten dog's tail isn't it?
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:40   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah,sorry, I don't live in Singapore and don't care 2 hoots to what happens elsewhere. I am concerned about where I live and drive. Besides there are strong laws for owning private vehicles (atleast there were) and public transportation is encouraged. They had shown a video of LA at rush hour and Singapore during the same rush hour. The traffic in the latter country was nothing. So I guess the bus drivers there can afford such luxuries. With jam packed roads like ours we cannot afford to do such a thing.

. Seems like its 'OK' if it happens elsewhere and if it happens in India whats the big deal. Well, it should not happen in India and we should be an example to everyone else. Why follow when we can lead.

Los Angeles traffic at rush hour (which is like almost every hour on the 405) is a dream compared to Bangalore's traffic, seriously .
Old 1st May 2010, 23:17   #1464
BHPian

Today's scenario at Mantri square mall,

There's only one exit which is enough to pass only one car at a time, instead of making a single line, people started making 4 and were trying to squeeze in through the tiny place, Forget making 4 lines, almost EVERYONE started honking continously for no reason, Finally a few employees of the mall sorted out the mess, When will people understand that no body wants to stop for no reason. I have a severe migrane just because of the honking maniacs.
I've even observed this at signals, People start honking from behind as soon as the signal turns green.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:58   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, Mico junction on Bannerghatta road. This police jeep was behind me when i stopped at the light. This guy honked three times. I didnt move because it was not green for me to turn right. So, this guy goes to the opposite lane and jumps the light. I managed to get the phone out just in time to click this:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic-police.jpg
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:05   #1466
Senior - BHPian

^^Ohh! Thats the Hoysala jeep types. They are the other cops not the traffic ones. If you have observed carefully, and I am sure you must have, traffic rules aren't for them. Kanoon hum se hain, hum kanoon se nahin.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:41   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Today morning, Mico junction on Bannerghatta road. This police jeep was behind me when i stopped at the light. This guy honked three times. I didnt move because it was not green for me to turn right. So, this guy goes to the opposite lane and jumps the light. I managed to get the phone out just in time to click this:

Attachment 341721
They aren't the regular cops, They work for BMTC buses and they're called the so called inspectors who check tickets and conductors.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:01   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Attachment 341721
This vehicle looks more like a BMTC Sarathi squad jeep. IIRC, the Hoysala or any police patrol jeep do not come in this livery.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:07   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Whoever they might be, they are definitely not above the law. If you look at the photo carefully, the other motorists are also disgusted of the 'hum kanoon se nahin' attitude.

Ohh and that Audugodi signal is a mess at any time of the day.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 3rd May 2010 at 10:08.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:25   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoever they might be, they are definitely not above the law. If you look at the photo carefully, the other motorists are also disgusted of the 'hum kanoon se nahin' attitude.
+1.
As far as i know, there are mainly three types of vehicles that have the flashing lights on the roof, in India. Police, ambulance and fire trucks. A jeep with mounted lights is most likely to be a law enforcer vehicle. For such a vehicle to break the law unnecessarily is not acceptable.

By the way, see where the motorist has stopped, and the auto too.

Most Viewed