Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 16:22   #5026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
What really are zebra crossings for in India?
They are for most of the motorists to test their horns, high-beams (which are anyway on for most of them at night) and sometimes, voice-chords too.

For the rule-abiding, considerate drivers/riders, the Zebra crossings are places to confuse the otherwise suicidal pedestrians (who form the majority) - they'll be left wondering whether to go or wait (indefinitely) until the pedestrian crosses the road

Inside one of the big companies' campus, I was getting into the parking area, where I have to cross the pedestrian walkway in order to get in. I saw a lady about to cross my path, and I stopped to let her pass. She inches ahead, then stops, as though she was doing something wrong. I waited for a few seconds, then I just moved ahead while she stood there, as I value my time more than her stupidity
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 17:21   #5027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
They are for most of the motorists to test their horns, high-beams (which are anyway on for most of them at night) and sometimes, voice-chords too.

For the rule-abiding, considerate drivers/riders, the Zebra crossings are places to confuse the otherwise suicidal pedestrians (who form the majority) - they'll be left wondering whether to go or wait (indefinitely) until the pedestrian crosses the road
Agree! Should be called "The curious case of the zebra crossing!" . There is one right outside my office at Whitefield. Today, I decided to take the bus to office and I realized how much the pedestrians are at peril. There is total dis-regard for any person walking. I was just hoping at-least one person would stop, if-not slow down.
But anyway, this is a country where a crossing would be the last thing on any government's mind.
Be safe.
Old 13th October 2013, 00:12   #5028
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few videos I captured lately. Shows utter disregard for rules, even by a High Court car!

ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 00:35   #5029
BHPian

Just when the signal went green at the Ejipura junction, a VW Polo disrupted the oncoming traffic by trying to take a U-Turn from the opposite side. This caused an instant jam , however, there were a few cops 100m down on the same road towards Sony world junction who stopped the Polo and fined him.

Hope that the moron got fined heavily and learns a lesson or two about driving!
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 14:09   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

I waited for a few seconds, then I just moved ahead while she stood there, as I value my time more than her stupidity
Zebra Crossing is a joke in India. Absolutely no one stops. I have tried stopping quite a few times when especially women are crossing and have rear ended a couple of times. Now I take my hand out to signify I am stopping and then slow down (with fear).

The other instances when some foot soldiers keep confusing you is also there - I have had numerous instances when people will look at you with a very confused way as to way has this man stopped and derived them of their daily fun activity. Its not completely their fault either - we are so used to run for our lives on a zebra crossing that anything else is strange.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:49   #5031
Senior - BHPian

I pass through the Koramangala water tank signal every day. Almost every day I see a traffic cop operating the signal lights. Not this morning. Result? It was more like a free for all. One Indica(b) with REGD plates inched ahead from the BDA Complex side till almost the middle of Sarjapur road. It was red for that traffic. Of course, following him were some two-wheeler pests. Fortunately the traffic on the perpendicular direction was not as bad, and it was also not so thick. So, the cabbie had his way when there was a brief pause between the signal turning red for those going towards St.John's and green for those coming from St.John's junction.

If you ask me how I understood it was a cabbie, the car had all the usual cabbie characteristics - white car, the driver wasn't wearing the seatbelt, unnecessary honking, a lot of gaudy decorations INSIDE the car, and of course the behaviour I mentioned above.
Old 14th October 2013, 16:00   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Ah how I wish traffic was like this every day! Nice, smooth ride from Koramangala to EC. Heavenly.

I think this will last tomorrow and Wednesday as well. Enjoy it while it lasts guys.
Old 14th October 2013, 18:52   #5033
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah how I wish traffic was like this every day! Nice, smooth ride from Koramangala to EC. Heavenly. I think this will last tomorrow and Wednesday as well. Enjoy it while it lasts guys.
Just like Bangalore was fifteen years ago! Gentle pace. Decent people. No honking and constant engine noise etc. Lovely!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 21:11   #5034
BHPian

Took me 1/3rd of usual today. Calm and patience everywhere.

Don't get your hopes up though. Bangalore will be back to it's usual self tomorrow. Not many will be off.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:36   #5035
Distinguished - BHPian

Enjoy the week: schools are out till 21st Monday. Tomorrow should be especially cool with the Id holiday. Add to that, many people are on leave this week as well.

Railway and bus stations are crazy though with hordes of people returning to BLR. Plus Cyclone Phailin has forced 15 hours+ delays in some unfortunate Kolkata & NE bound trains; there was complete mayhem this morning at Yeshwantpur!

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th October 2013 at 15:38. Reason: Typo
Old 16th October 2013, 10:58   #5036
BHPian

Saw a dark grey figo lying belly up on ORR about 200 meters from doddanekundi junction towards marathahalli today morning 9.30. And a black skoda rapid on the foot path. both on the same lane, heading towards K.R.Puram. Looked like a high-speed overtaking gone wrong and figo going turtle. Did not check on casualities. Huge jam both ways and onlookers with damn smartphone cameras clicking.

Makes me want to believe choked roads are better for health.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:30   #5037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Saw a dark grey figo lying belly up on ORR about 200 meters from doddanekundi junction towards marathahalli today morning 9.30. And a black skoda rapid on the foot path...
A colleague of mine said he witnessed the accident. He said a Skoda (he didn't know the model name) overtook the Figo and then tried turning left to enter a fuel station. Figo ended up crashing into the Skoda.

There seems to be another accident near Doddanekkundi. Another two of my colleagues said there is a hole dug near Soul Space Arena, and an Audi and a BMW have crashed into it (even these guys don't know the exact models).

Although the roads are somewhat empty, the driving experience is far from pleasurable. You still need to go slow, thanks to the quality of our roads!

I myself had a small accident today on Panattur road. A biker on a Honda Unicorn overtook me when I was already overtaking a stopped bus. Then the biker got in front of me and then braked hard after noticing a pothole. I instinctively braked but ended up skidding (thanks to the loads of dirt on the road) and hitting the biker from behind. Fortunately for both of us, I was not very fast (as the bus was not moving, I wasn't trying hard to overtake it).

The bike got propelled for a few meters, but it didn't fall. I asked the biker if he is fine. He said he is fine but my number plate has broken.

Now I really don't know where to get a new number plate from, as all the number plate makers I know (in and around Varthur and Gunjur villages) are closed on the occasion of Bakrid. I called 3-4 people and they told me to come on Friday. I hope to I can get hold of someone today when I am going back home.

Any suggestions on what I should do if cops pull me over? Considering how the BTP personnel have been behaving recently (with all the VW horn issue and all), I am really scared.

Last edited by rohanjf : 16th October 2013 at 12:32.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:34   #5038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

Any suggestions on what I should do if cops pull me over? Considering how the BTP personnel have been behaving recently (with all the VW horn issue and all), I am really scared.
Put a piece of paper and tape it on for the mean time. Best option till you get a new plate.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 13:36   #5039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Keep the broken number plate with you. You can stick a paper for the time being as well. If a cop pulls you over, tell him you are going to get it repaired.
And get a new number plate ASAP.

Has worked for me
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:17   #5040
Senior - BHPian

Mysore Road is closed betw Deepanjalinagar and Satellite bus stop because road caved in just before Satellite bus stop. My colleague had a free Bangalore darshan coz her bus was diverted.

Please avoid taking this stretch.

Waseem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks