Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 09:39   #14146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
IMHO manual/auto just results in the ease of operations. Expecting better driving with a manual is futile, as the auto transmission is still a tiny minority, and I don't see the majority driving in a way which can be considered sensible...
I was not expecting better driving. With manual gear operation, people will not be able to do a aim and shoot kind of driving they do with ATs. Specifically with the driver and car in question in this case.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:29   #14147
BHPian

The joy of enjoying a 7:30am drive to work was totally short lived today.

Traffic extending from Cubbon Park all the way till Shanthi Nagar cemetry and slow moving traffic. Added to the craze, the yellow boarded nincompoops see this is as an opportunity to push the tolerance limits of fellow motorists.
Totally ruined my morning.

Wonder why the long hold up. Could be the restrictions owing to multiple VIP visitors to the city.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:39   #14148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post

Wonder why the long hold up. Could be the restrictions owing to multiple VIP visitors to the city.
Everyone using their own car due to impending bundh
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:49   #14149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Everyone using their own car due to impending bundh
I read in the news, bus and cab unions are not participating in this protest.
I was wondering if this was due to Monsoon.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:55   #14150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I read in the news, bus and cab unions are not participating in this protest.
I was wondering if this was due to Monsoon.
Well, we all woke up wondering whether the bandh is on or off. Due to the ambiguity, most people used the car
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:05   #14151
Senior - BHPian

Roads in EPIP area are being dug up for laying under ground power cables. All these roads were laid a year back :(
Old 12th June 2017, 12:20   #14152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Build a Metro Station bang in the middle of all this mess.
Sure there is huge traffic flow through this junction. But it nothing that cannot be solved with minor fixes and a LOT of discipline. Can you point to the source of that metro alignment plan? Thanks.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:28   #14153
BHPian

Watch-out the new speed limits, I see these signage across the city, including ring road.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-speed-limit.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 13:43   #14154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I doubt traffic will reduce because of the metro.

I share the same feeling as well. Metro is somehow projected as the problem to all of our traffic issues, however it hardly connects 25% of Bangalore E2E. Unless there are supporting mass transit systems like the suburban rail, feeder bus system and increase in timings of all of these along with the metro, nothing on the ground will change.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 14:00   #14155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt traffic will reduce because of the metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I share the same feeling as well.
Metro is not going to make any difference to people working in Whitefield area. This is the one of the places with most traffic problems in Bangalore. Also, the metro phase 2 construction will increase the suffering.
Old 12th June 2017, 14:08   #14156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Sure there is huge traffic flow through this junction. But it nothing that cannot be solved with minor fixes and a LOT of discipline. Can you point to the source of that metro alignment plan? Thanks.
I personally cant think of any minor fixes in such a situation. If it were just a straight line of pillars passing in the middle of the road, it would have not created a huge mess. Only the road width would be reduced and a little lesser space. But in this case, its one huge station which has to cater to two lines and just look at how the pillars are scattered all over the place. Especially when the construction of the station starts, it will take up a huge space and in the wrong place. Commuting across this every day, I cant think of an alternative since there is a temple to one side of the road while the other side is a petrol bunk and a bus stop.

I found the detailed alignment in the BMRC website and downloaded it. Now not able to find the same. Though I have a copy of it with me, I am not able to attach it here since its huge and crosses the attachment size limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I share the same feeling as well. Metro is somehow projected as the problem to all of our traffic issues, however it hardly connects 25% of Bangalore E2E. Unless there are supporting mass transit systems like the suburban rail, feeder bus system and increase in timings of all of these along with the metro, nothing on the ground will change.
At least from my experience, it has reduced traffic between Baiyappanahalli and MG Road for sure. Since I commute below the metro corridor from BYPL all the way till Trinity circle every day, the traffic is quite limited to the signals. Earlier it was not so. My commute time reduced by a good 10-15 minutes on an average in the evenings after a few weeks of completing the East-West line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Roads in EPIP area are being dug up for laying under ground power cables. All these roads were laid a year back :(
Quite inevitable since the high tension power lines from SAP labs to Whitefield should be made underground for the metro work to commence.

Last edited by audioholic : 12th June 2017 at 14:12.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 14:35   #14157
BHPian

Does anybody have an idea of what the small establishment marked in red is? It is a small shed/factory which nobody seems to be using.

The road at this junction becomes quite narrow. Nowadays, with only left turn allowed it is not a big bottleneck. A small land acquisition can make things very smooth for the turn and give additional lanes on the other side. The left turn from Hoodi towards Vydhehi can then be made a smooth free left.

I am wondering that this piece of property/shed is never affected by any land-acquisition? If you see, many properties' compound walls have been demolished for Metro ph-2 construction except this "privileged" property. Wonder who owns this?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@12.97.../data=!3m1!1e3

#Kundalahalli, #GraphiteIndiaJunction
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-map_kundanahalli.jpg  

Last edited by DigitalOne : 12th June 2017 at 14:39. Reason: Added Specific Location details
Old 12th June 2017, 14:59   #14158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Although NICE authorities are doing their bit by construction additional toll booths by expanding the road here, I doubt if this can solve the problem.
Simple solution to NICE problem is to collect toll at the exit, just like in ORR toll in Hyderabad.

In ORR Hyderabad, they just give the receipt at entry point and collect the amount at the exit. This way we would not be clogged at one entry point like NICE road.

In NICE they collect amount at start, then check the receipt at end, instead issue receipt at start and collect the amount at the exit.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:11   #14159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anybody have an idea of what the small establishment marked in red is? It is a small shed/factory which nobody seems to be using.
I remember seeing a board which seems to indicate it is some government property, not able to recollect exactly which department of the government. The board was visible when you take a right at this junction coming form the Kundalahalli side, not sure if it is still present there.

I also used to think the same as to why a part of it cannot be acquired and make that turn a little more bigger.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:15   #14160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Simple solution to NICE problem is to collect toll at the exit, just like in ORR toll in Hyderabad.

In ORR Hyderabad, they just give the receipt at entry point and collect the amount at the exit. This way we would not be clogged at one entry point like NICE road.

In NICE they collect amount at start, then check the receipt at end, instead issue receipt at start and collect the amount at the exit.
Yes. I have experienced this system when passing Hyderabad driving down from Delhi but this system won't rwally save much time. The amount of vehicles that enter this road at peak hours is what you see here on the picture and even giving just receipts would mean waiting for a while till that's given.

Also, the primary exits (most popular)are Bannerghatta Road followed by Kanakpura and PESIT Exits. If vehicles had to pay at these exits, it's again going to create snarls there too.

NICE itself is not a problem when it comes to tolls but the peak hours are.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks