Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 10:36   #14236
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont prefer using navigation continuously. I would prefer an app that can run when the phone is locked and can log the distance and time.
I don't think you have to run navigation continuously - I don't, and my phone is also locked when I'm driving; but the data is all there.

Just check the feature; it might be supported even on iPhones.
Old 29th June 2017, 13:13   #14237
BHPian

You can use the Moves app on app store. It even tracks your steps etc.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 16:49   #14238
Senior - BHPian

My next attempt was to plot the route which I travelled on a daily basis and determine at what speeds I crossed each point. There were areas in which my speedometer did show 60+ speeds, but at the end of it the journey time still took the same. So again it was time to write some Java programs.

I am attaching an image of the route generated, with the colour codes giving the speed ranges. This was of the "home run" from ITPB at 1800Hrs yesterday.

For a change, I had free run till Hope Farm Jn (see the green lines). But looks like the timings have changed on the signal there. It took me three turns to cross that Jn. Then again it was a free run till Varthur Kodi. Traffic on the lake side road was less which gave me false hopes. All to be shattered near Varthur PS, when slow moving traffic messed up things. Then onwards after Gunjur I was able to go at a very good speed (70+ any ways) till Dommasandra. From there own there were more slow moving vehicles on the road.

On the Dommasandra to Chandapura stretch, observe the patterns of "greens" & "oranges". That may give a clue on what is the problem there (and perhaps even my driving style).
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-itpb_cpura_28jun17_1800hrs.jpg  

sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 17:08   #14239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't think you have to run navigation continuously - I don't, and my phone is also locked when I'm driving; but the data is all there.

Just check the feature; it might be supported even on iPhones.
If we run the navigation, you will see exact route. But if you don't run the navigation, then you will see only straight lines.
Old 29th June 2017, 17:14   #14240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
In this you should also consider the day of the week to get an actual comparison of the driving time. It might take the same time to commute if you leave late to work on a Wednesday compared to leaving early on a monday
Yes. Planning to continue with this excercise for the next 10-14 days. But the current morning journey times are more fixed due to the tasks of dropping the kid at school etc. I have been doing very informal analysis for the past 6-8 months, and the average time was found to be around 1hr to 1:15hrs. And again, even without any formal analysis I could also sense that there are more vehicles on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
If it is available and already activated it would have been tracking your start/end times, route taken and distance traveled automatically.
I use an application SpeedometerGPS for tracking the speed during a journey. This application also forces the screen to remain active (and not lock out). I tried to use my MapMyIndia device to record the journey. That device also makes a good recording of the journey, but has no good export facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
The best I have found was MapMyIndia logging. Once you open the recorded route, it displays it on screen and you can click on any section of that route and that will show time and speed at that location.
I tried using my MapMyIndia device for the same thing. And then realised that it would not suit my requirement. Yes, it does record the route well. And on the device can draw up good charts (which can be zoomed etc.). But all such analysis can only be done from the device. MapMyIndia allows to export the data to a KML file. But that file would only have the route taken. No information on speed, distance covered or any thing like that. It was MapMyIndia's limitation which forced me to take the SpeedometerGPS and Java route .
Old 29th June 2017, 19:03   #14241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
If we run the navigation, you will see exact route. But if you don't run the navigation, then you will see only straight lines.
Here are two screenshots of a trip I did yesterday:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.png

(I have removed my home location and address).

I can only assure you I didn't use navigation for this trip. But as you can see, the route is nearly exact - not a perfect overlap; but the distances are quite correct.
Old 29th June 2017, 19:34   #14242
BHPian

Quote:
Here are two screenshots of a trip I did yesterday:

(I have removed my home location and address).

I can only assure you I didn't use navigation for this trip. But as you can see, the route is nearly exact - not a perfect overlap; but the distances are quite correct.
in both the cases, the distance will be same, but the route shown will be different.
for the same route, you can use the navigation once & then without navigation, just to see the difference.
from what i know (i am not an expert though), when in navigation mode, it keeps logging the coordinates very frequently, where as in without navigation mode, it may not do it frequently. hence you will see straight lines.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:16   #14243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from what i know (i am not an expert though), when in navigation mode, it keeps logging the coordinates very frequently, where as in without navigation mode, it may not do it frequently. hence you will see straight lines.
When Location is ON and Accuracy Mode is high, then the OS (Android) collects location data "very frequently" and uses A-GPS, mobile tower-based triangulation etc. to locate you with very high accuracy.

The navigation mode is only a consumer of the data (like Uber or any other location-aware app). Data collection is performed by the OS (Android) itself and happens even when no location-aware app is running.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:21   #14244
BHPian

Quote:
When Location is ON and Accuracy Mode is high, then the OS (Android) collects location data "very frequently" and uses A-GPS, mobile tower-based triangulation etc. to locate you with very high accuracy.

The navigation mode is only a consumer of the data (like Uber or any other location-aware app). Data collection is performed by the OS (Android) itself and happens even when no location-aware app is running.
In my mobile, I always keep the location setting to ON and Accuracy mode as HIGH. In spite of that, i do see lot of difference in the route shown when 'gmaps with navigation ON' and 'gmaps not turned on'. One thing that I haven't tried is, just keep the gmaps app on (but not in Navigation mode) and see if the route is exact. I will try that tomorrow.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:40   #14245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my mobile, I always keep the location setting to ON and Accuracy mode as HIGH. In spite of that, i do see lot of difference in the route shown when 'gmaps with navigation ON' and 'gmaps not turned on'.
I think you also need to have "Location History" turned on as well.
Old 29th June 2017, 21:37   #14246
Team-BHP Support

Another point which you guys should validate is how low a commute time you can achieve. Start say at 6 or 6:30 AM to to see how fast you reach. And similarly start back by say 3PM.

That will tell which part of the pie you are working on. Now early entry and exit times may not be a viable option for folks. But at least it will indicate how much you may be leaving on the table. Will allow many to start thinking radically on how much one may be able to save.

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2017 at 21:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 22:25   #14247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another point which you guys should validate is how low a commute time you can achieve. Start say at 6 or 6:30 AM to to see how fast you reach. And similarly start back by say 3PM.
That is in my list of "To Do" things. Because only that would perhaps give a better understanding of things. I have no specific dates in mind, but my plan is to do:-
1. Early morning trips to office
2. Late evening trips back from office
3. Holiday specials

This may lead to finding the ideal commute time, but for many people because of our work we also do not have much choice when it comes to time slots. In fact I was happy to see that some Team-BHP-ians have started opting for train travel, but they had an advantage of having a fixed work schedule.

With the data I have at hand (invariably collected during the usual office commuting hours), it is pretty much about covering 30 odd kms in 60 odd mins :(.

PS: Had spoke to 3-4 colleagues today, who work at ITPB but commute from Vignan Nagar, Ramamurthy Nagar & Bellandur side. They too seem to have commute times of 1-1.5hrs. Another colleague based out of KJM area was slightly in a better shape; it was 45 mins. Off course this is the time for their peak hour commute.

Last edited by sachinpk : 29th June 2017 at 22:27.
Old 29th June 2017, 22:48   #14248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
With the data I have at hand (invariably collected during the usual office commuting hours), it is pretty much about covering 30 odd kms in 60 odd mins
Morning and early afternoon return is a big optimization knob. Its an obvious answer but yes its a big big time saver. Instead of living within means, you should try to think on such lines and see if you can make it happen. Your productivity also goes up big time.

I know I am sounding like a broken record on this one. But please dont give up on that option.

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2017 at 22:49.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 19:25   #14249
Senior - BHPian

Apparently we have new speed limit within the city. I saw number of 40 speed limit sign boards on the outer ring road. Not sure about two wheeler speed limit though.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sl.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 19:41   #14250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Apparently we have new speed limit within the city. I saw number of 40 speed limit sign boards on the outer ring road. Not sure about two wheeler speed limit though.
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=180&btp=180

This is the most recent notification I'm aware of. If they've issued a later one then they've managed to keep it top secret.

Maybe we should ask that Twitter account.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks