Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2024, 08:46   #21736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I stick to Whitefield - Nagondanahalli - Kaithota road - Tirumalashettyhalli cross - Hoskote
Thanks for the suggestion. This is accessed via the right turn (coming from Varthur side) at Hope Farm junction, right?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 11:56   #21737
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not very familiar with that part, but I am guessing STRR users (exiting BLR) will join the Kolar highway after this mess?
Yes, true. You cross the hoskote toll, dodge jaywalkers and bikes in hoskote, and then get to the STRR.

The scene right now on a pleasant Sunday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20240512_115351.jpg  

Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 20:44   #21738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post

The scene right now on a pleasant Sunday morning.
Is this near Brigade Exotica? I travel to work on this stretch, ever since the Orion Mall Flyover construction started, this has become a common occurrence. There was similar occurrence on Friday morning at 8.30am. Worst part is that the Avalhallli police station is just opposite to this stretch and the cops can visibly see the traffic jam if they are bothered.

Last edited by sansvk : 13th May 2024 at 20:49.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 13:34   #21739
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Is this near Brigade Exotica? I travel to work on this stretch, ever since the Orion Mall Flyover construction started, this has become a common occurrence. There was similar occurrence on Friday morning at 8.30am. Worst part is that the Avalhallli police station is just opposite to this stretch and the cops can visibly see the traffic jam if they are bothered.
Yes its the same. The cops are manning the flyover underpass mostly. Generally when things get completely stuck, i see the cop coming over to sort things out along with some citizen volunteers. Ofcourse, not much i expect them to be able to manage when idiots decide they can just go in the other direction on a national highway

Traffic has been weird. Yesterday my commute from Budigere Cross to my office in whitefield took 25 mins. Today it took 45 mins at around the same time. Tuesdays are generally the worst.
Old 14th May 2024, 19:52   #21740
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope they automatically fine the 30 km/hr garbage truck or the cargo auto ambling on the fast lane. They should combine this with appropriate lane restrictions as well.

Too many accidents happen because of slow-moving traffic in the wrong lane.

Requesting TBHP folks to update where these fixed speed cameras are installed!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_2688.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th May 2024 at 19:53.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 08:00   #21741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. This is accessed via the right turn (coming from Varthur side) at Hope Farm junction, right?
Correct. Though you don't have to proceed all the way to Hopefarm (Hopefarm - Channasandra - Tirumalashettihally cross is usually very crowded. Not to mention the traffic at Varthur and Whitefield Junction).

Attached is one sample route without needing to go to Hopefarm. The bottlenecks in this route will be a) Gunjur junction b) Tirumalashettihalli cross ( not always ) c) Koralur railway gate ( not always ) d) Hoskote Town ( 5 mins )
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-rooooooooot.png

On a good day/early morning all the below routes are equal
1. Gunjur - Varthur - Kadugodi - Budigere - Devanahalli
2. Gunjur - Foundation School - Ajjagondanahalli - Kaithota road - Tirumalashettihalli cross - Hoskote Town - STRR - Devanahalli
3. Gunjur - Varthur - Nexus mall (Varthur Kodi) - Immadihalli - Kaithota road - Tirumalashettihalli cross - Hoskote Town - STRR Devanahalli
4. Gunjur - Whitefield - Prestige Mayberry road - Nagondanahalli - Kaithota road - Tirumalashettihalli cross - Hoskote Town - STRR - Devanahalli.

Some other routes (slightly longer, but interesting):
1. Gunjur - Kamanahalli Cross - Anugondanahalli - Dunnasandra - Tirumalashettihalli cross - Hoskote Town - STRR Devanahalli

The stretch between Katamnallur Cross - Hoskote Toll is a stretch that should be avoided at all costs for now. All routes above avoid that.

Last edited by airguitar : 18th May 2024 at 08:16.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 09:12   #21742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Too many accidents happen because of slow-moving traffic in the wrong lane.
I noticed hero's already slowing down or braking hard regardless of the lane they are on when they see these new speed displays. And the fun part- they slow down to below way below 80 kmh and have no thought or concern about what is happening behind.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 10:06   #21743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I noticed hero's already slowing down or braking hard regardless of the lane they are on when they see these new speed displays. And the fun part- they slow down to below way below 80 kmh and have no thought or concern about what is happening behind.
From 120 to 100 and now to 80 kmph, the BLR-MYS e-way has become a joke. At Rs. 630 for a round trip, its slowly going down the NICE way. Time to start using Kunigal - Pandavapura OR Magadi - Nagamangala.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 10:18   #21744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
From 120 to 100 and now to 80 kmph, the BLR-MYS e-way has become a joke. At Rs. 630 for a round trip, its slowly going down the NICE way. Time to start using Kunigal - Pandavapura OR Magadi - Nagamangala.
It was regarding the BLR Airport road.

The less said about the Blr-Mys expressway, the better. I had a close call last month when I was returning from Calicut and was minding my own business at around 90-95 kmh on the third lane when an over enthusiastic uncle side swiped me from the right when overtaking some slow vehicles on the middle and fast lane.
Yes, I definitely want to avoid this highway given a chance, but to North Kerala, this is the fastest route.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:48   #21745
Team-BHP Support

Considering the traffic density and the madness, 80km/h is adequate. It is basically two lanes considering the tracks and taxis sit on the third lane trundling at 80km/h.

You see various kinds of people

• The Quasi-Govt Innovas who bully everyone at 120km/h
  • The I'm rich and I have a performance car doing 160km/h in the left most lane
  • The I am an inadequate lawyer and must clean up the third lane - tailgating those at 80km/h

The latter happened recently, I merely accelerated and left him in a cloud of smoke till I reached a safe distance
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 20:40   #21746
Senior - BHPian

80 kmh (50mph) is a perfectly acceptable speed on high speed expressways. There is no doubt about that.

But I was travelling on Chord road and noticed that the speed limits are 40 kmh (25mph). On the free lanes. Almost the whole section is elevated and signal free.

Again electronic city elevated tollway has a speed limit of 60 kmh (37.5 mph). These speeds are ok in residential areas but on access control roads and grade separators?

Perhaps it's because we Indians are not really of the driving culture. Most of us had only bicycles as personal transport when young. And Moffusil bus for longer distances.

In towns like Bengaluru we still see the occasional bullock cart and tongas. Stray cattle is ever present especially in rural areas like Malleshwaram, Yeshwanthpur, Indiranagar, Koramangala, etc. And no matter that there are many cars now, the king of the road is still the moffusil bus.

Perhaps when we mature to the level that western countries have developed w.r.t automobiles and driving, perhaps we could be trusted with higher speed limits.
Old 19th May 2024, 13:57   #21747
BHPian

Just back from a weekend drive to Mysore. I drive the Thar, so I stuck to a constant 80kmph speed on the cruise control. In my entire journey (to and from) i overtook 2 vehicles while 200+ vehicles would have overtaken me. You need to be mindful of your vehicle. There was reckless driving and overspeeding galore. Thankfully with the heavy toll, the traffic was lesser but this is a disaster waiting to happen. In my return leg there was a totalled Tata Safari which was on is way to Mysore but had toppled over and rolled into the other side (heading to Bangalore). Hoping there were no casualties.

Last edited by sachinayak : 19th May 2024 at 13:59.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 09:15   #21748
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently tried Sagar (A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore) in Rajajinagar one evening and decided to return via Rajkumar Road, Lulu mall, Okalipuram, Anand Rao circle to our side of Bangalore.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the signal free corridor with multiple ramps near Lulu and Okalipuram completed, made it so easy to return via this route, something I would consciously avoid in the past.

Right in front to Lulu there was a ramp going towards right and marked KR Market wondering how it leads to the place, actually I’m not that familiar with this part of Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 26th May 2024 at 09:17.
Old 26th May 2024, 09:32   #21749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Recently tried Sagar (A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore) in Rajajinagar one evening and decided to return via Rajkumar Road, Lulu mall, Okalipuram, Anand Rao circle to our side of Bangalore.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the signal free corridor with multiple ramps near Lulu and Okalipuram completed, made it so easy to return via this route, something I would consciously avoid in the past.

Right in front to Lulu there was a ramp going towards right and marked KR Market wondering how it leads to the place, actually I’m not that familiar with this part of Bangalore.
Going right takes you through Binny mill road towards Mysuru road to Sirsi circle beneath the flyover.

There are still some ramps that are incomplete as you go nearer to railway station after Okalipura. Slow progress but since you don't see any pile up due to existing completion of works, its all good.

Okalipura used to be hot spot for jams especially with incline and all the smoke emitted by vehicles. Compared to the jams in the Eastern part of today's Bengaluru, even that was nothing
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 10:13   #21750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Welcome to this part of the town

It’s not a great route; best suited for a 2 wheeler. Turn right at Lulu mall, keep going on Tank Bund road; after crossing the Mysore bound railway lines, you need to take a left at the next circle. That will lead you to Cottenpete and eventually KR market. But post that it’s all narrow lanes and heavy traffic.

On a side note, you can also continue going on Tank Bund road and take the route as mentioned above. That’s 4-wheeler friendly but much longer.

P.s. Sagar’s too too overrated. Found most of their items bleh. Their highly popular mango shake is okay.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th May 2024 at 10:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks