Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2024, 11:21   #21601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
But it had its fair share of issues and took 6 years to build!
Makes me wonder if there's any infrastructure built in/across Bangalore that was done in record time? Or even within the timelines committed when the project was initiated? If not (which seems to be the case), then why do we Bangaloreans keep up our expectations of expecting any ongoing/future infra project to be completed on time?

P.s. That's a rhetorical Q.
Old 12th February 2024, 11:33   #21602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The only flyover in Bangalore that was worth the wait was the one at HAL road - IRR Intersection at Domlur : nicely done clover!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The clover was only possible because of the minimal land acquisition involved with drains and parks on either side easily available
It is not even a well-done cloverleaf interchange. There is no ramp when coming from Koramangala and wanting to go towards Trinity, for example. I take some of the interior roads in Domlur Layout to emerge near Haiku Honda, bypassing two signals.

From HAL towards Koramangala left turn is also very suboptimal.

Lastly, I notice autos and taxis creating a modern U-turn by going up the ramp towards Indiranagar coming from HAL, and then turning the wrong way into the ramp that comes from Trinity. Avoids taking U-turn at Domlur TTMC signal where it is prohibited and police presence is seen.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 13:11   #21603
BHPian

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-107644569

Seems like moving from petty violence to pure disgusting forms of attack.
Imagine this guys attitude with the mango janta? Education (if any was given) has completely failed this particular individual.
Sad to see such incidents being a regular feature now in the news.
Old 13th February 2024, 13:46   #21604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Imagine this guys attitude with the mango janta?
The guy is nuts! The cops are going to give him a very warm welcome at the station for attacking one of their own. I'm sure this guy will never even dream of doing something like this again after that.

When I see people like this, I understand why our police behave the way they do. You can't deal with thugs like this everyday and not change yourself.
Old 16th February 2024, 12:35   #21605
Senior - BHPian

Majority of Bangalore roads to be pothole free soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ggbmrgxaeaalwfy.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 12:54   #21606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
I still feel bitumen based road surfaces have better ride quality - maybe they need to be relaid frequently. Concrete roads are so uneven you cant even go upto the speed limit on these roads. Grip on wet surfaces is also better. Unless the government is trying to make some people rich by giving these contracts, I feel this is tax payer's money wasted.
gtonsing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 19:57   #21607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
And the city will be under construction for another 5 years! But the concrete stretches have in general held well, but as mentioned by gtonsing, ride is far from smooth.
Old 19th February 2024, 20:41   #21608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
And the city will be under construction for another 5 years!
As far as I can remember, Bangalore has been one big construction site.

Earlier road widening, then flyovers, underpasses, TenderSure, Metro construction, concrete roads (famously called white topping), tiled roads, building footpaths, stone slab footpaths, then tiled footpaths. Creating dividers, and increasing divider height.

In parallel, digging by KEB/BESCOM, BWSSB, KPCTL, Gas, Landline, Internet, et al.

Adding to public construction, humongous amounts of private house constructions, apartment construction, office space construction. It doesn't stop - now people are bringing down perfectly good houses and rebuilding again.

Looks like the constriction saga never ends. The city is seeped in perpetual dust.

Last edited by msdivy : 19th February 2024 at 20:42.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 09:24   #21609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The city is seeped in perpetual dust.
True.
In addition to the never ending construction work. Concrete roads also contribute to dust - the road in front of our house is concrete (not sure why they chose to concertize it ~15years back, while the rest of the layout is bitumen, may be they had some extra budget to burn off). This causes fine cement dust to rise - no amount of rains and sweeping eliminates it.
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:36   #21610
BHPian

A polite rant from an English daily. Kind of echoes most of our sentiments. - https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...amma-bengaluru

On another thought, came across this article in BM (https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../107801897.cms).

22,000 odd cases in a month seems painfully low, looking at the current status.
A rough calculation considering a conservative 500 signals in the city, operating for 12 hours a day with a 3 min red light time and an average of 1 vehicle jumping the signal every 3rd cycle of the red light gives a hit rate of ~2%. Goes on to show how woefully understaffed the BTP is along with all their other priorities .
Traffic signal jumping should be a criminal offence given the kind of potential repercussions it has for other users of the road and overall traffic flow.
ShreyG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:50   #21611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic signal jumping should be a criminal offence given the kind of potential repercussions it has for other users of the road and overall traffic flow.
I've posted this before, but jumping a red light, wrong side driving/riding, and riding on footpaths (yes, even electric Yulu bikes!) should be penalized the way drunken driving is. Because all these endanger lives, not just obstruct traffic flow.

The cops don't need to police every single signal, just enough on a regular basis, at random across the city, and regularly. Very severe penalties, seize the vehicle, and a court appearance, just like drunken driving. A couple of years of drives like this and the instances will go down.

Last edited by am1m : 20th February 2024 at 10:52.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:00   #21612
BHPian

If we could improve road surface quality, curb wrong side driving, signal jumping, and stick to lanes (I am also at fault here since the other lanes seem to be moving faster - but I try to stick to my lane as much as possible and feel very guilty when I do switch lanes in traffic) I think Bangaluru's traffic problem is not that big. Just the sheer amount of people who cut across lanes, drive wrong ways, jump signals is causing all the slowdown. There are hundreds of drivers who stick to he left most lane (since is presumably is the fastest one) and then attempt a right turn, stopping everyone behind them - if we get rid of this alone, we will save much time. For instance, on my normal commute, the U-turn after KR Puram on the ITPL Main road, if those going onwards to ITPL side just stick to the left lanes and those intending to make the turn, go to the right lane. But then again, the railway under-bridge traffic spews on to the left most lane again.
Sometimes I wish we could erase everything and redraw and re-plan all roads and make an efficient system of roads. I guess we need a visionary who can think 50 years ahead and make changes now.
gtonsing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:06   #21613
BHPian

Quote:
If signal jumps & lane violations are enforced, I suspect we'll find our travel times will improve with less irritation.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:38   #21614
BHPian

I find myself returning to this thread repeatedly just to emphasize what a brilliant decision it was to bid farewell to this city once and for all!

With a lump in the throat, I miss the old Bangalore though, when the streets were less crowded and the pace of life seemed a tad slower. Back then, navigating the city felt more like a leisurely stroll through the leafy avenues, where one could savor the aroma of freshly brewed filter coffee wafting from corner cafes. Jayanagar 4th block was the epitome of excitement, while Koramangala seemed like a distant village, Marathahalli was practically a jungle, and Brigade road was namma Newyork nagara!

Development often comes at a cost, and in hindsight, it feels like the price we paid for progress in Bangalore was too steep. Done with the rant!
jeeva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:44   #21615
BHPian

Instead of police and manual intervention, put some cameras. Wrong side driving and signal jumps are pretty easy to judge by that with photographic evidence.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks