Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2023, 18:01   #21466
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I was to write this a week and a half back when I did the Bangalore Pune drive. When exiting Bangalore I found the Goreguntapalya flyover to be closed at 4.30 am. This is the 3rd time I am encountering this, any reasons why this flyover is closed early mornings? This makes one lose 15-20 precious minutes in the mornings when going below the flyover with as many as 7-8 traffic signals slowing you down.
Since you start from the Northern side of Bangalore, you should really consider taking the STRR (Satellite Town Ring Road) from Nandi Cross and go via Doddaballapura all the way to Dabaspet where you join the Pune highway just about 20Km short of Tumkur.

Alternatively, you could also take the Dodballapur Road (SH9) from Yelahanka and then proceed towards Dabaspet by merging onto the same road mentioned in above route (it's the old NH 207 that is now NH 648).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I liked the fact that it was factual. I can't believe the Mall of Asia has such limited parking.
True that.

I think the police clearance from traffic police should also be taken by BBMP/builder/developer when such projects are planned and go for approval.

For example, the last I read about the grade separator/underpass at Murugeshpalya on Old Airport road, the work hasn't commenced since Traffic Police haven't given BBMP the clearance due to unavailability of alternate roads!

Last edited by NPV : 31st December 2023 at 18:07.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 19:14   #21467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Since you start from the Northern side of Bangalore, you should really consider taking the STRR (Satellite Town Ring Road) from Nandi Cross and go via Doddaballapura all the way to Dabaspet where you join the Pune highway just about 20Km short of Tumkur.
For vehicles coming from TN side (via chittoor, kolar , the old madras route) and wanting to go to tumkur, can this be used ? If yes, then what is the optimal way to hit nandi cross in that case, inorder to completely avoid any semblance of bangalore traffic ?
Old 31st December 2023, 20:46   #21468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Mall of Asia on KIAL Road ordered closed till 15 January 2024.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/ci...7721.html?s=08

https://twitter.com/IEBengaluru/stat...97496892620939

Very well-reasoned order in my opinion:
The pushback starts!

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...police-2830764
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 22:17   #21469
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
For vehicles coming from TN side (via chittoor, kolar , the old madras route) and wanting to go to tumkur, can this be used ? If yes, then what is the optimal way to hit nandi cross in that case, inorder to completely avoid any semblance of bangalore traffic ?
That’s the ideal use case because you can join the STRR/NH 648 from Hoskote - get into the Chintami road and within 2-3 Km you see the STRR going across, turn left onto the service road and merge, that’s it. No need to get off at Nandi cross because this road goes towards Dodballapura where one railway bridge isn’t ready yet and you get into a village road for a bit and then continue towards Dabaspete after the SH 9 junction, check in gmaps it should be clear.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 22:47   #21470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That’s the ideal use case because you can join the STRR/NH 648 from Hoskote - get into the Chintami road and within 2-3 Km you see the STRR going across, turn left onto the service road and merge, that’s it..
Quote:
If you come to Kolar instead of heading towards Hoskote you can enter the town, take SH towards Vemagal - Vijayapura - just before Devanahalli turn right on STRR and head towards Dobbaspete. No need to drive till hoskote to reach STRR since that will add distance. The SH is decent for the 35-40kms that needs to be covered.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 23:16   #21471
BANNED

Thanks @NPV @audioholic
While I do understand the jumping-off from NH75 that audioholic is talking about, I couldn't decipher what NPV is describing, about the jumping-off from NH75. I hope that the green arrows in the pic is what you guys are calling STRR. Kindly mark on the map (attached) your specific routes, if possible.
When I turn on satellite view, all I am able to see about the STRR is vast sections of mud (the STRR) and construction zones. Is the road severely dusty that satellite is not capturing the tarmac ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-strr-usage-tn-side.png  

Last edited by venkyhere : 31st December 2023 at 23:18.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 01:09   #21472
BHPian

Does the STRR make any sense for folks entering BLR using NH48 in the afternoon, trying to reach Whitefield?

I loathe navigating the Tumkur-Nelamangala-Yeshwanthpur-Hebbal stretch.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 1st January 2024 at 01:15.
Old 1st January 2024, 08:35   #21473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Does the STRR make any sense for folks entering BLR using NH48 in the afternoon, trying to reach Whitefield?

I loathe navigating the Tumkur-Nelamangala-Yeshwanthpur-Hebbal stretch.
Please check this thread for more details on road conditions and typical timings - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...galore-51.html (On Bypassing Bangalore)

STRR is meant to bypass the exact stretch you are referring to and ensure that a lot of traffic is diverted to Hoskote or even Hosur side without entering urban Bangalore limits.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:11   #21474
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I turn on satellite view, all I am able to see about the STRR is vast sections of mud (the STRR) and construction zones. Is the road severely dusty that satellite is not capturing the tarmac ?
Satellite view is not a Live view and neither is it current or even remotely recent, I think it would be a year or two old in fact
The road is excellent between Hoskote and Dodballapura and then there is small stretch waiting for a railway overbridge to complete (navigate a small stretch via a village road). Then you get to the junction of the Yelahanka-Dodballapura SH 9 and after that you turn left, you’re on the now widened sections of the erstwhile NH 207 towards Dabaspete.

Also, if you were to travel on the Hyderabad highway beyond the BIAL trumpet junction and head towards Devanahalli, near Nandi cross before the signal you will see the STRR passing across the highway (on the left toward Dodballapura and on the right towards Hoskote).

Last edited by NPV : 1st January 2024 at 10:12.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:28   #21475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Eversince the flyover got closed for heavy vehicles this has been the norm. Flyover is closed for all traffic from 12am to 6am.
That was way long back. After the flyover was re-opened for lighter vehicles I have travelled in the early mornings and access the flyover with no restrictions
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Usually the plastic barricades on the side are open, while the main flyover entrance is barricaded. You just need to slow down and drive through the gap onto the flyover. There are no barricades on the other side and you can exit at the toll.
On all the past 3 occasions the barricades did not have any gap and neither noticed any 2 wheeler even taking the flyover. Everybody was using the lane below the flyover to reach the Parle toll. I remember navigating the barricades during my Goa trip in April 2023. After that in May, Sept and in Dec i had to go below the flyover.

Quote:

Alternatively, you could also take the Dodballapur Road (SH9) from Yelahanka and then proceed towards Dabaspet by merging onto the same road mentioned in above route (it's the old NH 207 that is now NH 648).
That's a longer route as compared to using the NH75 + NH 48 combo. Plus I am told that is a 4 laned road with lot of speed breakers (as shared by BHPian Parag Sachania). The one via Doddaballapura is even longer and more time taking than the normal one. Plus Yelahanka is in construction phase now for quite long.
Old 1st January 2024, 10:45   #21476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't decipher what NPV is describing, about the jumping-off from NH75. I hope that the green arrows in the pic is what you guys are calling STRR.
The reason why the route sounds complicated is because there is a clover leaf junction being built between Bangalore Chennai highway and STRR and the new Chennai E'way. This is almost complete but there isn't a proper ramp to the STRR for people driving from Kolar side. One alternate is to take a small village road for 2kms and join the STRR or take the route as suggested by NPV. But this route which goes inside Hoskote Industrial area is really poor hence either the village road is best or take the route I suggested via SH. Both will save time and distance.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:50   #21477
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

For Dabaspete-Hoskote:
Maybe some of you (@ghodlur, @venkyhere etc) haven’t seen this post and the video linked in it:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5667528 (On Bypassing Bangalore)

Last edited by NPV : 1st January 2024 at 10:52.
Old 1st January 2024, 11:17   #21478
BANNED

Quote:
Satellite view is not a Live view and neither is it current or even remotely recent, I think it would be a year or two old in fact
Then I wonder how is satellite view of any relevance in a developing country where infrastructure development is rampant ? The reason to use satellite view is to get a real world idea of how the place looks like. Atleast a few weeks old would do. Anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The reason why the route sounds complicated is because there is a clover leaf junction being built between Bangalore Chennai highway and STRR and the new Chennai E'way. This is almost complete but there isn't a proper ramp to the STRR for people driving from Kolar side.
Indeed, not able to associate the text you guys are painfully writing to help us, with the view in maps.

Quote:
For Dabaspete-Hoskote:
Maybe some of you (@ghodlur, @venkyhere etc) haven’t seen this post and the video linked in it:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5667528 (On Bypassing Bangalore)
Yes, this helped. Plus reading yours and others' past few comments on that thread, helped improve my mental picture greatly. Inorder to clarify whether my dumbness is still beyond reproach, I have posted a detailed query (with screenshots) in that thread.

I think I should leave this thread alone, as it's meant for traffic updates and not route queries. Sorry for the temp hijack.
Old 1st January 2024, 20:35   #21479
BHPian

I totally disagree with this order. Mall of Asia is a private entity. The police cannot simply order the closure of a private entity because they are incapable of controlling the traffic or provide adequate infrastructure. The government cannot keep putting the onus on it's citizens to hide it's inefficiency and inadequacy to provide basic services to common citizen and businesses alike. A lot people think businesses mint money nowadays and hence can handle a closure like this. I'm sorry to say that those sunny days are long gone.
true_sedan is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 20:40   #21480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
I totally disagree with this order. Mall of Asia is a private entity. The police cannot simply order the closure of a private entity because they are incapable of controlling the traffic or provide adequate infrastructure. The government cannot keep putting the onus on it's citizens to hide it's inefficiency and inadequacy to provide basic services to common citizen and businesses alike. A lot people think businesses mint money nowadays and hence can handle a closure like this. I'm sorry to say that those sunny days are long gone.
Exactly. The traffic department is simply washing their hands by blaming a private entity for the mess and asking them to close. The local administration is at fault at here. If the plans are approved by local bodies, the private entity is not at fault at all. No matter how much money they make, the private entity isn't responsible for this mess that corruption, lack of skills and lack of foresight by/of these local government bodies has created.
sunilch is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks