Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2023, 13:54   #21436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
No.1 is the most ideal and practical option. Keep distance between your car and a heavy vehicle, always. I do not like driving immediately behind a bus or truck as it greatly hinders the visibility. Add to that the hot engine air and exhaust fumes from the rear of buses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Since then, I have followed option 1 as mentioned in your list and purposely allow that other vehicle to squeeze in. Might cost me a couple of minutes if I end up missing the signal but peace of mind is invaluable.
I don't mind giving the space in front, But since this often happens to me either in Yeshwanthpur, Malleshwaram, Jakkur or Hebbal, The vehicle squeezing in is often another BMTC which will force me into a different lane or off road or crush my car if I don't veer off.

I know the ideal answer, I want a practical one. In normal driving I am always 1 car length behind, and 2 wheelers, autos and other 4 wheelers are always squeezing ahead, I never mind. Even behind a BMTC I give more than a car length, but the signals are not visible.

Not sure if my calculations are right, But eye level at 4 feet, Bus height at 12 feet and Signal height at 20 feet (guessing here because many times I notice the signal is just a couple of feet above the bus) You have to be about 30 feet behind to see the signal.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 16:17   #21437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Here we go (again)!
Nine major road corridors in Bengaluru to get Rs 400-crore facelift

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...celift-2792034
Reading between the lines, what I really appreciate is that someone took the whole topic of carriageway width seriously and included that as an action point in this facelift. Throughout the Outer Ring Road, the major issue is not the volume of traffic, but rather the smooth flow of vehicles and smooth entries and exits. A single bus stopping in its designated stop will create a backup since the vehicles following the bus suddenly want to cut into the neighbouring lane and then the vehicles on both lanes will slow down to fight for space.

If they can make a uniform system of two main lanes and a third and fourth lane to enable entry exit, that will improve the overall pace of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
This was a golden opportunity to push all utilities underground as done in all other Tier 1 and 2 cities nationwide, especially power cables. Unfortunately Blore city fathers are thinking of thwarting this opportunity too!
Theoretically yes, it would have been a clean move, but think of it, the ORR already has most of its power cables under ground, and then what's left are these OFC internet cables and random wires of the unregulated cable and internet operators. So this is impractical to be converted to an underground setup since all these cable providers are fly by night guys who would not go through all the hassles of officially laying cables like the bigger operators like Airtel, Jio etc.

I think on the service lanes there are still some overhead power cables, but if my observation skills are good I haven't seen any high tension lines on the ORR between Silk Board and KR Puram which I regularly use.
Old 4th December 2023, 12:17   #21438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Theoretically yes, it would have been a clean move, but think of it, the ORR already has most of its power cables under ground, and then what's left are these OFC internet cables and random wires of the unregulated cable and internet operators. So this is impractical to be converted to an underground setup since all these cable providers are fly by night guys who would not go through all the hassles of officially laying cables like the bigger operators like Airtel, Jio etc.

I think on the service lanes there are still some overhead power cables, but if my observation skills are good I haven't seen any high tension lines on the ORR between Silk Board and KR Puram which I regularly use.
There are ample overhead power cables on ORR service roads. They need not be HT 11/33KV. Even if they're LT 440V power cables, they need to go underground. Heck, all power cables need to go underground. OFC too, in dedicated shafts as done in Mumbai. (Only industrial distribution 33KV and higher need be on tall overhead pylons)

Else Blore streetscapes looks like a Tier 3 mofussil town.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th December 2023 at 17:12. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 4th December 2023, 15:00   #21439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I don't mind giving the space in front, But since this often happens to me either in Yeshwanthpur, Malleshwaram, Jakkur or Hebbal, The vehicle squeezing in is often another BMTC which will force me into a different lane or off road or crush my car if I don't veer off.

I know the ideal answer, I want a practical one.
Oh if a BMTC is squeezing in, best to completely stop and let them through unless you want clipped OVRMs. Given the electric gizmos, a broken one can cost a few thousands.
Practicality is something that is generally thrown out of the window while driving in BLR. If you are considerate, there are 100 more who are not.
Best case scenario would be to let there be some sort of a car, two wheeler, three wheeler in front which will allow visibility of the traffic light.
The calculations you gave, assuming are correct, can easily accommodate 2 smaller cars and the gap would disappear in no time.
Old 18th December 2023, 03:47   #21440
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Now Bangaloreans seeking traffic-related anger management help :

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...update-2788632

Unsurprising TBH, to put up with so much traffic everyday, would certainly lead to these.
Don’t forget the Road Conditions too, which augment and enhance this anger.

Sarcasm Alert:
I have it on good authority that the Chief Designer of the Bangalore BBMP off roading tracks is being flown on an all expenses paid trip to the black bear pass in Colorado and then by heli to Moab valley Arizona, USA, so that he can view these from above in a bid to completely re-imagine and re-design those old off road trails.

There is also a rumour that he has been offered a lucrative consulting assignment with Land Rover to revive the Camel Trophy from India to Burma to Thailand to Malaysia and Indonesia and back.

But I hear that he is also evaluating another similar consulting offer with the Paris Dakar people.

So obviously his designs are a success and he is a much sought after design professional in the Off Road world.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 10:48   #21441
Senior - BHPian

Another pea-brained idea with a serious preconceived notion that only IT employees violate traffic laws.
Bengaluru techies, follow traffic rules or your firm will be notified about your violations.

Private establishments have no right to take action against any one for violating Motor Vehicle Act provisions. Let the BTP try similar tactics with unionised work force of BMTC or with any people working in legal establishments, the results would surprise them.

If caught for traffic violation the road user need to only show his license and vehicle documents if asked for. There is no need to share any other personal details like place of employment etc. BTP seems to be misusing the ignorance (of law) of the average Techie. Sec 202 (2) of MV Act, clearly says that - "A police officer in uniform may arrest without warrant any person, who has committed an offence under this Act, if such person refuses to give his name and address. ". So give the correct residence address & name, that is more than enough.

Last edited by sachinpk : 20th December 2023 at 10:54. Reason: Added MV Act provision
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:04   #21442
Distinguished - BHPian

Had posted this on the IT/work-related threads too- for a lot of us Indian employees, the company/manager replaces the parent/teacher as the 'authority figure' in our lives. Because we need someone to tell us what to do at each stage of our lives. (Which is why so many people think it's ok for managers to dictate everything to do with an employee's life.)

Guess the traffic cops also think that way and adults need to be 'reported' to their organizations! Don't they realize how ineffective it makes them look?! Shouldn't they handle traffic violations instead of referring them to some other 'authority'?!

"The company would further inform or advise the employee to refrain from violating traffic rules."

Why on earth is this the company's job?! I can see some managers of a certain personality type who will love this added 'responsibility', but I think most people/HR (on whom this sad burden will fall) won't enjoy this at all. Anyway it's doomed to fail, just makes for clickbait headlines. Don't see any legal or incentive basis for any company to follow through with this stupid idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Something needs to be done to curb this menace and hence this step has been taken.
Yes, the traffic cops can catch/fine all those who break the rules. Get so ruthless with enforcement that people have the fear of god when they break even the smallest traffic rule. Especially company-run cabs who are by far the worst traffic offenders on the ORR!

Nothing wrong with traffic police and companies collaborating to ensure smooth traffic. And perhaps hosting joint workshop/awareness sessions on traffic rules and driving/riding etiquette on campus.

But outsourcing what is supposed to be their job (enforcement) to company management/hr is something else, IMHO.

Last edited by am1m : 20th December 2023 at 11:15.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:09   #21443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Private establishments have no right to take action against any one for violating Motor Vehicle Act provisions. Let the BTP try similar tactics with unionised work force of BMTC or with any people working in legal establishments, the results would surprise them.
Well they cant take actions to penalize, but they could definitely take measures to ensure that such violations cannot happen. Moreover, there is nothing wrong with notifying companies since the traffic police is on the receiving end for traffic jams and they can highlight this issue about employees breaking rules and making the situation worse.

On the ORR, it is mainly these educated techies who ride without helmet, go on the opposite side to avoid a U Turn 100 meters away, break lane discipline and what not. Something needs to be done to curb this menace and hence this step has been taken.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:33   #21444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Guess the traffic cops also think that way and adults need to be 'reported' to their organizations! Don't they realize how ineffective it makes them look?! Shouldn't they handle traffic violations instead of referring them to some other 'authority'?!
Exactly! The BTP is proving that they, and the existing legal infrastructure is incapable of enforcing the Motor Vehicle laws. And they are handing over the responsibilities to another group of people (IT company and the 'managers' (?)) who neither have any enforcement powers and are in a totally different business. The amended motor vehicle act actually has increased the fines and even have provisions for community service etc. Sections like 184 (Dangerous driving) have hefty fines, community service etc. And the violator can be sent to the court. Spending a day in the magistrate court itself will a violator think twice before making more offences.

Quote:
I can see some managers of a certain personality type who will love this added 'responsibility'
:. Yes, wannabe cops, or managers who did not have the ability to join the police may find this a turn on - as they get some judicial/police powers for a short while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Moreover, there is nothing wrong with notifying companies since the traffic police is on the receiving end for traffic jams and they can highlight this issue about employees breaking rules and making the situation worse.
I humbly disagree sir. There is no legal provision which says the traffic police have to inform law violations to a private business group. If a private establishment wants to get antecedents of their employees, then they should ask the police. I agree BTP is at the receiving end, they should reach out to the judiciary to help them. Use every single provision in M.V Act and IPC to make the violator run around the courts for a few days.

Quote:
On the ORR, it is mainly these educated techies who ride without helmet, go on the opposite side to avoid a U Turn 100 meters away
Riding without a helmet is an offence as per Sec 129 r/w Sec 194D, fine of Rs. 1000/- and license suspended for three months. Sec 184 deals with dangerous driving which includes violating one ways. Fine can range between Rs. 1000 to Rs. 5000, and even imprisonment for min six months. And this offence cannot be "compounded" (no spot fine) case will go to the court. BTP also uses mParivahan app, then can initiate impounding of licenses using that. Strict enforcement using existing laws will be of better use than handing over 'violators' to managers in IT companies (who ideally should not be allowed even to act as a police constable).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:34   #21445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let private companies and BTP take to task the homicidal cabs / TTs which is rented by IT firms. Fancy talk of checking employees tags, reporting to company HR and all can wait.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:35   #21446
Distinguished - BHPian

Just had a thought, perhaps the cops are much smarter than we are. They had previously recommended remote work, hybrid to help ease traffic. Most companies pushed back. So perhaps this is their way of putting the ball back in the companies' court. You guys share the headache! This added burden might make more companies re-think hybrid work. Smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Let private companies and BTP take to task the homicidal cabs / TTs which is rented by IT firms.
100% 3 years commuting on the ORR and I've seen that these cabs are the single biggest reason why the ORR is such a mess. 100s of cabs pouring out and in at around the same times each day. Thug drivers who don't give a damn about other road users, rules, or even traffic cops. In a way, this measure is probably karma- you IT companies caused this mess, you guys help clean it up. But sadly, the people who make and profit from these decisions (IT park builders, top company management, cab companies) will all escape the daily consequences, it's left to the poor traffic cops (and now HR, apparently) to work things out.

And of course, just because one set of vehicles is a bigger offender, certainly doesn't mean another set (employees using private vehicles) can do whatever they want. Penalize everyone/anyone when they break the rules to the fullest extent of the rules. Good laws exist, enforcement is sorely lacking in Bangalore.

Last edited by am1m : 20th December 2023 at 12:00.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 12:48   #21447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Good laws exist, enforcement is sorely lacking in Bangalore.
I have observed that many traffic signals in the city are being upgraded along with cameras, hope situation will improve.

Saw this news: 634 traffic violations, over Rs 3 lakh in fine: Bengaluru cops seize ‘wanted’ two-wheeler.

Quote:
A police officer said the number of violations was high as the intelligent cameras record each violation noted on a day separately. For instance, if a person has travelled through a junction multiple times a day, all violations will be recorded separately and fresh challans will be issued.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:22   #21448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another pea-brained idea with a serious preconceived notion that only IT employees violate traffic laws.
Bengaluru techies, follow traffic rules or your firm will be notified about your violations.
This can (will) be used by the companies effectively during EOY feedback sessions.

Promotion discussion with manager/HR:

We are sorry to say that you will not be promoted to the next level as you had "x" number of traffic offenses against your name this year. You do not have the skills to follow the traffic rules or escape the attention of the cops. So do not think you would be able to justify the next level.

Appraisal discussion with the manager:

Your appraisal rating for this year is Needs Improvement/1 or Performer/2. One of the major influencers for this rating is the traffic offenses committed by you during this year. This will be added to your G&Os for the next year and will be tracked.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:37   #21449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strict enforcement using existing laws will be of better use than handing over 'violators' to managers in IT companies (who ideally should not be allowed even to act as a police constable).
That on the ORR will be impossible because there are just so many violators, and few cops. Stopping them will also attract brickbats as this would also affect traffic. People used to complain earlier that traffic police is busy collecting fines when there is a traffic jam down the road. Now they have switched roles and the demand is to go back to enforcement?

Few months ago, there used to be a long queue of HAL employees who would take the wrong side to reach the office gate on HAL airport road. No one could do anything about it since the queue used to be so large and after the company was notified of the same and threatened disciplinary action against the employees, this practice has nearly vanished based on my experience.

If there are still people who believe Bengaluru's traffic problem can be solved in a theoretical manner going by the book, then I guess then thats the reason why nothing much has changed so far.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:44   #21450
Senior - BHPian

A new Day and A new Drama !!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-gbwp0ccb0aa6bxf.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks