Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 12:53   #21496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
If this is due to Mall of Asia then its high time something has to be done, Hebbal junction is as notorious as Gorguntepalya junction and we just should not be adding more fuel to the fire.
Unlikely I feel. It could be due to the road widening work between Hebbal down-ramp and the Esteem Mall bus stop, or could be a accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Mall of Asia continues to be shut until Jan 15, if I am not mistaken.
No no, MoA is very much open. The HC decreed that no precipitative steps be taken against them as of now. However, footfalls are relatively less as (I am guessing), people got spooked by the traffic fiasco.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...539363910.html

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106587417.cms
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:24   #21497
Team-BHP Support

I don't have the facts but my cousin and his son-in-law calculated that the Mall of Asia is not the largest mall in Asia as hyped. The Lulu Mall in Rajajinagar is much bigger apparently and no traffic rants from them

Last edited by ajmat : 8th January 2024 at 21:43.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 21:30   #21498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I don't have the facts but my cousin and his son-in-law calculated that the Mall of Asia is not the largest mall in Asia as hyped. The Lulu Mall in Rajajinagar is much bigger apparently and no traffic rants from them
Maybe its location on Airport Road caught attention, and you cant rule out the fact that there are certain highly influential people linked to Lulu Mall.

But whatever it is, it is ridiculous that the Police dept would just suddenly wake up and shut down a mall, it's not the Police depts job to watch what's getting built around the city. What was BBMP doing? In fact, where were the authorities thinking when they approved VR and Phoenix Mall next to each other? It's a mess with no resolution in sight! I stay 2kms from the mall, on a Sat evening it sometimes takes an hour from Tin Factory to Phoenix, and I'm not even going to the Mall!

Last edited by ajmat : 8th January 2024 at 21:42.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 09:45   #21499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Don't call me a pessimist, but the reality is that the accused will be out with just a slap on the wrist, and such incidents will continue.
Normally, I'd agree but am encouraged by the Police Commissioner (B Dayananda) statement that they will monitor these very strictly and invoke the Rowdy Act against such hooligans.

Here we go again!

Karnataka releases Rs 96 cr for three flyovers, two underpasses
Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...passes-2840661

Tumkur Road flyover to be closed Jan 16 - 19
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106680561.cms

Hebbal flyover additional ramp delays

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106680562.cms

Last edited by Sheel : 10th January 2024 at 09:57. Reason: Back to back posts.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 08:24   #21500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Tumkur Road flyover to be closed Jan 16 - 19
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106680561.cms
[b]
Hope the testing doesn't pose any safety threat to surface road users. Details of the test would have helped in understanding the risk.
Old 10th January 2024, 10:47   #21501
BHPian

Quote:
Hebbal flyover additional ramp delays
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106680562.cms
I always wondered why an underpass wasn't proposed below the railway tracks so that people coming from Tin factory side can use the underpass to take left towards Baptist hospital. That should reduce the traffic on top of the flyover and will help people coming from Esteem mall side. Isn't this better than building another ramp from Esteem mall to Baptist?
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 18:31   #21502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
In fact, where were the authorities thinking when they approved VR and Phoenix Mall next to each other? It's a mess with no resolution in sight! I stay 2kms from the mall, on a Sat evening it sometimes takes an hour from Tin Factory to Phoenix, and I'm not even going to the Mall!
+1, who the hell approved two malls right next to each other. Thankfully because of the absolute dud that VR Mall is, the situation isn’t all that bad.

I also stay nearby, in Hoodi and this stretch happens to be the default route. But let me tell you, during weekend evenings (any time after 5pm) it’s better to go along the ORR and rejoin ITPL via Mahadevapura (via that Alpine Eco road). The junction in front of Durga Petals used to get choc-a-block traffic but they have largely cleared this section (it was due to the metro construction, there was a giant gantry which has moved).

I suppose it depends where exactly you stay and this may not be viable but do check this alternative. Maps will rarely suggest this detour because of the longer distance and Maps does not have absolute intelligence on the traffic situation (it is always lagged by a good 10-15mins).

Last edited by krishnakumar : 11th January 2024 at 18:32. Reason: typo
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:21   #21503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I always wondered why an underpass wasn't proposed below the railway tracks so that people coming from Tin factory side can use the underpass to take left towards Baptist hospital. That should reduce the traffic on top of the flyover and will help people coming from Esteem mall side. Isn't this better than building another ramp from Esteem mall to Baptist?
Yes, I remember there was a proposal for that too, but BDA(?) did not want to risk building one in the middle of 2 lakes.

[The BTS depot, church etc one sees on the Esteem mall/Manyata side were earlier an paddy farm for the Agri University students and further down was open marsh land till the Lumbini Gardens]
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:31   #21504
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
[The BTS depot, church etc one sees on the Esteem mall/Manyata side were earlier an paddy farm for the Agri University students and further down was open marsh land till the Lumbini Gardens]
Off-topic: Go back to 1994-1996 and even upto and including 2003-2004, most of HSR Layout did not exist. Agara used to be a huge lake compared to now.
And most of HSR was swampy marsh land. And of course agricultural land. Sarjapur Road had huge farmlands on either side, as did the entire Outer Ring Road area and the area after those Marathahalli Factory Outlets all the way through to Varthur and beyond. Hosur road had lakes and farmlands on either side all the way up to Hosur. The other side, coming from Old Madras Road had huge lakes on both sides. Now it is all built up.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th January 2024 at 09:24. Reason: Let's not take the discussion off-topic. Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 21:39   #21505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Lulu Mall in Rajajinagar is much bigger apparently and no traffic rants from them
Data was made available today on Phoenix Mall of Asia on Ballari Road.

Quote:
Congestion on the Ballari road's service road jumped nearly 6 times the usual amount on the day of opening, and nearly 16 times on Christmas Eve
Link: https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...up-580-2843767

Quote:
Here we go again!
Karnataka releases Rs 96 cr for three flyovers, two underpasses
What is wrong with flyovers? As an experiment, we can shut the flyovers for a day and see how the traffic behaves.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th January 2024 at 09:26. Reason: Quoted post edited
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 10:11   #21506
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the place right from Minerva Mill Grounds time to what is presently Lulu mall, the main advantage it has is wide roads on two sides of the mall along with a compounded railway quarters on one side and also added to that it has an underpass directly leading to the parking so we kind of dont have the really smart folks trying to take U turns and blocking 2 lanes for the same. That being said we also need to factor in that Lulu has Mantri and Orion in almost close proximity which kind of disperses the crowd across the three unlike Mall of Asia which literally caters to all the surrounding areas(Other ones nearby I am not really sure if they are as grandiose as Orion or Mantri Mall)
Old 12th January 2024, 10:25   #21507
BHPian

Quote:
In Lulu mall enclosure, the owner (we all know who ) has given land for building a road from Magadi road side towards Rajajinagar and there is a underpass for U turn from that side to enter the Mall. The narrow road that was in Okalipura has been expanded in area a lot with flyover, underpass etc But then the area of the land is huge and the give and take which has benefitted public
Old 12th January 2024, 13:06   #21508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
That being said we also need to factor in that Lulu has Mantri and Orion in almost close proximity which kind of disperses the crowd across the three unlike Mall of Asia which literally caters to all the surrounding areas(Other ones nearby I am not really sure if they are as grandiose as Orion or Mantri Mall)
Probably, but at least some planning went into all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
In Lulu mall enclosure, the owner (we all know who ) has given land for building a road from Magadi road side towards Rajajinagar and there is a underpass for U turn from that side to enter the Mall. The narrow road that was in Okalipura has been expanded in area a lot with flyover, underpass etc But then the area of the land is huge and the give and take which has benefitted public
Exactly, youknowwho factor withstanding, proper planning or some semblance of planning was cosndered
Old 12th January 2024, 14:11   #21509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
In Lulu mall enclosure, the owner (we all know who ) has given land for building a road from Magadi road side towards Rajajinagar ...
I think that short cut came up before the mall came up. That short cut has been there for quite some time now.
Old 12th January 2024, 16:34   #21510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think that short cut came up before the mall came up. That short cut has been there for quite some time now.
I know but it was given to BBMP. Even the entry near the Mall also has expanded road. Of course its good for the business too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks