Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2024, 11:41   #21511
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not a rant, the Cubbon Park tabebuias are in full bloom!
Went there in the morning, the place was not crowded. People started streaming in along with the winter sun and was crowded by around 10AM.

Parking thankfully was quite smooth in spite of no one controlling it and there being no designated area for the same.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 13:36   #21512
BHPian

White topping work on the short stretch on 100 feet Road, Indiranagar near 12th Main, being taken up this week. Heavy vehicles from Domlur flyover take 17th Main, and everyone else turns off at 13th Main, Left & Right! Posted in our RWA.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20240113wa0009.jpg  

Juggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 23:40   #21513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There is no point in targetting the Bangalore City Police, or show the general frusturation against the police. They are here to perform the role, which they are empowered by rule to do so.
Agree with your 100%. But violations should be found before approval is given. The concerned government authorities should do their due diligence to give approval to entities that follow the law. If they fail, then the onus is on then not the private entity.

For example, as a human being who wants a 5 floor building i can get approval by paying for 2 floors. But the onus should be on authorities for investigating the claim. They cannot simply give approval and claim denial later. More than our MLAs, if our corporation commissioners and mayor's do their jobs properly then there is no need for any investigations.
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 07:41   #21514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
But violations should be found before approval is given. The concerned government authorities should do their due diligence to give approval to entities that follow the law. If they fail, then the onus is on then not the private entity.
That is not correct. Undeserving approvals can be issued for various reasons; incompetence, corruption etc. are only some of them. When these are caught then the approvals must be withdrawn, suspended or regularised.

The private entity must do their part by ensuring their application for approval meets the regulations and the procedure laid down for approval is followed correctly.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 07:57   #21515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is not correct. Undeserving approvals can be issued for various reasons; incompetence, corruption etc. are only some of them. When these are caught then the approvals must be withdrawn, suspended or regularised.

The private entity must do their part by ensuring their application for approval meets the regulations and the procedure laid down for approval is followed correctly.
You are half correct. The approvals must be suspended. But it does not mean the government officials get to walk Scott free. They have committed a crime too by providing approval in exchange for money. A government official is not a normal citizen. He or she is a gazzeted officer/notary public which the due process trusts more than the average citizen. Hence held to a higher pedigree.
Old 16th January 2024, 08:25   #21516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are half correct. The approvals must be suspended. But it does not mean the government officials get to walk Scott free.
Certainly. I didn't mention that point only because I didn't think it was relevant to the discussion here.

When irregularities in the approval process is detected, we have seen how rollbacks at the expense of the private entity have been implemented. Like those apartment towers in Kochi, that were demolished.

The private entity cannot simply say, "approval was granted, construction is completed, now you can do nothing" and require the world to adjust to the new normal.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 09:46   #21517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan
Agree with your 100%. But violations should be found before approval is given. The concerned government authorities should do their due diligence to give approval to entities that follow the law. If they fail, then the onus is on then not the private entity.
From what I understand, Traffic Police approval is NOT required when constructing buildings. The only "uniformed agency" whose approval is taken is the Fire & Rescue Service. So Bangalore Traffic Police is as much as a victim like the road user who gets stuck in the traffic. They are pushed to manage things, which they had no role in creating. The private party and the government officials who gave the approval all have to be taken to task.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 12:14   #21518
BHPian

22.3 Lakh Cars and Counting: Can Bengaluru Handle its New Traffic Crown?

According to news reports, Bengaluru has officially dethroned Delhi as the Indian city with the most private cars, boasting a 7.1% increase in car ownership in the past year. However, this surge comes with significant challenges. The city, already notorious for its traffic congestion (ranked second worst globally in 2022), saw a rise in traffic violations alongside the increasing number of vehicles.

To tackle these issues, authorities are turning to technology. Deputy Chief Minister Shivakumar announced the use of artificial intelligence to monitor and address traffic violations. He also emphasized the importance of helmet use for two-wheeler riders, who are most frequently involved in accidents, and urged citizens to prioritize safety over convenience on the roads.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/beng...ership-4867317
samdarshi.pali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 13:17   #21519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarshi.pali View Post
[b]22.3 Lakh Cars and Counting
I frequently drive on Bangalore roads. The primary problem is not other cars but two-wheelers. The problem has gotten worse. If I am turning left, I will be in the left lane, with the left indicator on. A couple of two-wheelers will be squeezing trying to turn left on my left side. And there will be one who will turn right from my left side.

Last edited by msdivy : 16th January 2024 at 13:20.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 13:55   #21520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The primary problem is not other cars but two-wheelers. The problem has gotten worse.
Just curious of what would be discussed on this topic in a 2 wheeler forum

People struggling on 2 wheelers navigating "SUVs" carrying "1" human don't do so by choice. They can't afford cars and there is no sensible public transport in the supposed "Silicon Valley" on India.
Sk8r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 14:10   #21521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Just curious of what would be discussed on this topic in a 2 wheeler forum
When I ride my bike, cars are the problem. When I drive my car, bikes are the problem. When I take the metro and walk, cars and bikes are the problem. Of course "I" am never a part of the problem!
am1m is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 15:00   #21522
BHPian

Quote:

For example, as a human being who wants a 5 floor building i can get approval by paying for 2 floors. But the onus should be on authorities for investigating the claim. They cannot simply give approval and claim denial later. More than our MLAs, if our corporation commissioners and mayor's do their jobs properly then there is no need for any investigations.
If human beings construct a building with 5 floors, the people responsible to check those build 2 such buildings, their masters 4 and goes up until some people own a huge chunk of our cities
Old 16th January 2024, 18:26   #21523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
People struggling on 2 wheelers navigating "SUVs" carrying "1" human don't do so by choice.
Affordability is *not* the question. Discipline and obedience to traffic rules is. Two-wheelers overtake from the left, ride on footpaths, and break one-way rules more than cars. They have made driving on Indian roads stressful. That is why I have a concern.

Regarding, 1 human in in SUV: I see most two-wheelers riding single. The day the two-wheelers manage to fill their empty seat by getting a pillon rider, I will follow the same technique and fill empty seats in my car. Alternatively, to give up on the car, I need suggestions on carrying stuff in my boot, saving me from weather uncertainties, getting ride at odd hours, save from pollution (air & sound).
Quote:
They can't afford cars and there is no sensible public transport in the supposed "Silicon Valley" on India.
These are not the reasons to break traffic rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
When I ride my bike, cars are the problem. When I drive my car, bikes are the problem. When I take the metro and walk, cars and bikes are the problem. Of course "I" am never a part of the problem!
Car or bike doesn't matter. My ask is to follow traffic rules and not cause inconvenience to others on the road. Drive bike like a car - maintaining lane discipline, and indicating while turning. People are on the road because they want to get from point A to B. Why should anybody be the problem?
msdivy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 18:28   #21524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Blaming bikers, car drivers, or pedestrians is not the answer. Everyone benefits from the development of effective public transportation and pedestrian infrastructure. It decreases traffic and pollution, resulting in cleaner, healthier cities. It facilitates transportation for people of all ages and financial levels. It fosters a more lively and livable atmosphere in which people may interact and enjoy the outdoors. It also helps the economy by making it easier for businesses to hire and retain people.

Unfortunately, Bengaluru, like our other major cities, is not properly designed and developed for good and efficient public transit. This has an impact on all - 2-wheeler*riders, car drivers, and pedestrians.
samdarshi.pali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 21:46   #21525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarshi.pali View Post
Unfortunately, Bengaluru, like our other major cities, is not properly designed and developed for good and efficient public transit.
BMTC carries an average of 35 lakh passengers daily. It is typically used by students, office-goers, factory workers, and people on casual family visits. Current Metro ridership is around 7 lakhs. It is public transport and you have to share space with others. There is a limit on the luggage you can carry. The newer layouts are not served by frequent buses. Except for these, public transport in Bangalore is fairly reliable.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks