Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2024, 20:04   #21661
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today I was witness to a roadrage incident. A big domestic gas cylinder truck was driving rash on the service lane on ORR Marathahalli ( after/around Radisson Blu ). He came within centimeters of my car and it was clear that he was driving at a speed way above what such a big vehicle should be on that road. I let him pass to stay away from trouble. Within a few feet he brushed another car (or cut too scarily across? unsure ). As is usual, within a few feet all vehicles stopped for the traffic signal. The driver of the of car got out and walked up to the truck driver, animatedly pointing at his car. The truck driver got down and soon what started as a verbal altercation became a full-blown fisticuff and then graduated to a full-pitched duel. During the fight, they fell on my stationary car's doors a few times, on the wheel once, on the ORVM twice and I was really beginning to get annoyed and concerned that my car would get damaged. I couldn't quite move given they were standing resting on my car

They then fell on a biker behind my car, the poor guy's bike dropped on the floor and he fell down too. Atrocious stuff. I moved on when there was a chance and within a few minutes, the cylinder truck was already overtaking me from the left. Life goes on I suppose for these guys.

The driver of the car (whiteboard) looked like a driver-on-payroll for that family and the car had a lady passenger in the backseat. Irrespective of whose fault it was, I hope that the lady gives the driver an earful or even fires him for putting her at risk. She couldn't do much other than be seated in the last row.

I'm generally not against someone standing up to an errant fellow, but you shouldn't forget that you are responsible for the people inside the car and be more careful when you have that responsibility.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 17:41. Reason: Spacing for readability
airguitar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 21:39   #21662
BHPian

Meanwhile, traffic restrictions tomorrow

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-restrictions.jpeg
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 12:59   #21663
BHPian

Why do the cops block roads arbitrarily?

Took the Sankey road to have dinner with family at Kesariya (that's in the building with the nexa showroom on palace road).

The loop to enter the palace road from Sankey was barricaded (not sure if the underpass was blocked) then I took a detour into Sadashivnagar and all the approach roads were barricaded!

Finally had to take a big loop - Mekhri circle->BDA Flyover->Cauvery. Only saving grace was it was a holiday and no heavy traffic due to Shivaratri.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 17:40. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 12th March 2024, 16:27   #21664
Distinguished - BHPian

Crowd of 10,000 expected for Karaga Mahotsava in Bengaluru; Cops issue traffic advisory

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...215865489.html
More fun! Enjoy
Old 13th March 2024, 15:41   #21665
BHPian

For some areas in East Bangalore, one can be 100% sure they will always have either slow moving traffic, or a jam. And this is beyond the usual peak times.

Example 1: Varthur Road, Varthur police station junction.
Example 2: Iblur junction and the cascading effect on Harlur Road.
Example 3: Various other sections of Sarjapur Road.
Example 4: Whitefield road, till after Kundanahalli Gate (Kapoor cafe).

I find these places more bothersome than the more popular ones such as Silkboard, KR Puram or even ORR Ecospace, simply because the latter are only bad at peak times.

I wonder what our Government can and will do.

I have always seen and admired the Delhi-NCR infrastructure. Hyderabad also got most of the basics better sorted and a wonderful ORR and now even Mumbai seems to be pulling away. First the Atal Setu and now Coastal road.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5735846 (Mumbai Coastal Road Phase 1 opens to public from March 12, 2024)

Last edited by drive2eternity : 13th March 2024 at 15:48.
Old 13th March 2024, 19:01   #21666
BHPian

Approximate waiting times when traveling from Prestige Tech Park to Whitefield
  • 20 mins from around Radisson blue to the top of Marathahalli bridge signal
  • 10 mins at the Kundalahalli Gate Apollo Clinic area even as vehicles taking a right U turn hog both the left and right lanes. Driving everyday at work means you know exactly where you need to stay to the left (to a mm precision) and where you need to stay to the right and where people might take an 'unsure' middle path : between the right and left lane blocking you. Hey, this is Whitefield they don't mark the lanes here for whatever reason. Most roads don't have lane markers in whitefield. High-tax-generating, low-infra Whitefield.
  • 10 mins at the Shell petrol pump, Siddapura where traffic merges from EPIP side and people also take a U turn to head back towards Marathahalli.

Nothing typifies selfishness than some people taking U turn at the second location above. It's routine for office shuttles to stop at Kundalahalli gate / Apollo clinic stop and block a hundred vehicles behind and the same guys proceed to take a right U turn all the way from the left extreme of the left lane blocking the vehicles again for a few minutes.

Whoever is working on fancy ideas, need to move the bus stops first and half of East Bangalore's and South Bangalore's traffic woes will be gone.

Last edited by airguitar : 13th March 2024 at 19:10.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 11:56   #21667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Approximate waiting times when traveling from Prestige Tech Park to Whitefield

as vehicles taking a right U turn hog both the left and right lanes.

Nothing typifies selfishness than some people taking U turn at the second location above. ....... the same guys proceed to take a right U turn all the way from the left extreme of the left lane blocking the vehicles again for a few minutes.
This to my mind is the crux of the matter. Guys travel happily on the left most lane on most roads (since theoretically it is the fastest lane and against global standards, the middle most lane is the slowest - go to the Bellary road to experience this first hand) and then cut across all lanes to make a right turn or U-turn. THAT is the problem. If we can influence lane discipline, half of our road problems will be gone. Another 30% can be reduced if we check wrong side riding/driving and another 20% if we slow down and stop at yellow and not "try to make it"

Last edited by gtonsing : 21st March 2024 at 12:13. Reason: edited words
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 14:08   #21668
BHPian

This happened around 9pm on Sunday 17th March, near Miranda School, JeevanBima Nagar Main Road.

I was on my bike on the left most lane going towards Jeevan Bima Nagar from 80-feet road BSNL junction. An XUV5oo driven by a young chap who seemed 'educated' was on my right. The car suddenly swerves to the left, ostensibly to park/come to a halt near the kerb. I give a long honk to let the driver know of my presence. He continues his maneuver of swerving and I have no space to my left. In desperation, to let him know of my presence I knock the left rear door with my hand couple of times. He finally comes to a halt.

I slowly manuever away from kerb and to the right of XUV. I tell/yell at the driver that before pulling over he should look at the left ORVM. And that he could have easily knocked me over.

Him: Shall I get down from the car?
Me: (confused) Man, why dont you look into the ORVM before swerving to the left?
Him: Shall I get down from the car? (in a threatening sort of way, since he was much bigger in person compared to me)
Me: If your vehicle bumped me, nothing would have happened to you, but I would have toppled / fallen over onto the foot path.
Him: Blank expression (No apologies / no remorse)

The front passenger in the car seemed a bit more empathetic - he signalled apolegtically via hand gesture for both parties to move on.

Thinking back, I probably should have let the driver know that I wasnt banging his door to damage his car. It was only to bring his attention to my presence in the left lane since honking did not help and there wasnt much space to my left.

PS: My bike with its drum brakes cannot stop as quickly as a XUV5oo which probably has all-round disc brakes.

It is infuriating that people not only are oblivious to others on the road but also show less empathy / understanding and become confrontational when their mistakes are pointed out.

Last edited by srvm : 21st March 2024 at 14:33.
Old 22nd March 2024, 16:22   #21669
BHPian

I was just randomly reminded for 2014/15/16 where the stretch between Marathahalli and Kadubisanahalli was a lot free. The merging between service road and the main road was easy and fluid. No restrictions. Very less traffic jam back then.

And then the gas pipes were laid just between the service road the main road. That's when they narrowed down/limited the merge points. And since then, the merging points have always been high-traffic.

Not sure if anyone even remembers this or remember noticing it. That's how things change for the worse permanently and nothing remains in public memory post that.
Old 26th March 2024, 16:46   #21670
UMe
BHPian

More mess coming, on already messed-up Hebbala Flyover. Anticipating the upcoming plans, this stretch will just get bad to worst. Brace for impact !

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20240326_163800_chrome.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20240326_163922_chrome.jpg  

UMe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 21:08   #21671
BHPian

Diversion near Ibulur - One lane has been barricaded on the side towards ecospace for metro work.
Onward traffic is allowed on the other side of road and on the Sarjapur/Ibulur flyover also during mornings.
Experienced a slight bottleneck today morning.
There will be some crisscrossing because of traffic going towards Sarjapur.
Old 26th March 2024, 21:20   #21672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
More mess coming, on already messed-up Hebbala Flyover. Anticipating the upcoming plans, this stretch will just get bad to worst. Brace for impact !

Source
I read this info too but a little confused. Which turns are to be avoided? Airport to KR Puram? KR Puram to city? KR Puram to airport?
Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 21:37   #21673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I read this info too but a little confused. Which turns are to be avoided? Airport to KR Puram? KR Puram to city? KR Puram to airport?
Thanks
The way I read it - they are closing off the Nagawara-Hebbal ramp (ie, KR Puram to city) to remove the spans at the point where this ramp merges with the main carriageway (Yelahanka-Hebbal).

This ramp starts from the middle of the road; you have to exit to the left and reach a roundabout/signal underneath the ramp / flyover cluster to turn right for KR Puram-Airport.

Last edited by binand : 26th March 2024 at 21:38.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 07:59   #21674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The way I read it - they are closing off the Nagawara-Hebbal ramp (ie, KR Puram to city) to remove the spans at the point where this ramp merges with the main carriageway (Yelahanka-Hebbal).
That is my understanding too.

Further, I am guessing that the Nagawara to Hebbal traffic will now have to take a right U-turn and merge with the Airport to city loop. And THAT is going to be a nightmare for everyone!

Going to be hell for everyone crossing into town be it from the KRP, Tumkur and KIAL sides (elevated road + service lanes), because now all three heavy streams of traffic will need to navigate that absurdly narrow 2 lane middle section of the flyover.

PS: Please excuse the shaky ellipse :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_1728.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th March 2024 at 09:41. Reason: Merged. Thanks.
Old 27th March 2024, 09:16   #21675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
Diversion near Ibulur - One lane has been barricaded on the side towards ecospace for metro work.
Onward traffic is allowed on the other side of road and on the Sarjapur/Ibulur flyover also during mornings.
Experienced a slight bottleneck today morning.
There will be some crisscrossing because of traffic going towards Sarjapur.
Experienced this today. In all honesty, this has brought down the time between the 27th main junction in HSR to the Iblur jnc. Crossing it during morning peak hours towards Marathalli took a good 10-15 mins but with this new development, it took me under 10 mins to cross it. I actually sit here wondering the reason for smoother flow.
Forced lane discipline perhaps? And the traffic police actually doing their job of managing and guiding the traffic? One can only contemplate.
ShreyG is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks