Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 18:26   #20161
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
If you do a 5-why analysis for the flooding and indiscriminate growth of Bangalore (and other Indian cities), it will come down to the excessive population inflow to the city. This has to stop.
Easy cop-out to take. Cities are engines of growth and there are so many megacities around the world that manage such populations well.

A simple way to invalidate this "excess population" theory. For 2 years there was reduced traffic on Bangalore roads, did the roads get better? If high usage was the reason, it should have gotten better right?

Roads should be the last place where we see mismanagement because lack of quality is very visible to the common man using them and we all know the state of Bangalore roads. Now imagine how much mismanagement takes place in things like storm water drains where it is not easy to understand if authorities are doing a good job outside of a sudden downpour.

Also, remember Bangalore is at an elevation and flooding is that much easier to prevent if there is a natural gradient to flow, yet we see this. A twitter thread where it is explained in detail: link
shyampsunder is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 18:46   #20162
BHPian

Hope everyone keeps a copy of this topology information for bangalore : https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/maps/lpj1/Bengaluru/ [ Not sure if it was shared already, but just in case note]
airguitar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:16   #20163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Why should it be necessary to have congenial relationship with the local authorities to get good road, good drainage systems, etc? Shouldn't everyone just do their job responsibly on their own accord? We get paid to do it. So just do it! I think sense of responsibility is lacking among many people in our country.
I wish this was true and unfortuntely not realistic. In real world, this very attitude is the reason for the issues what you are facing.

If what mentioned is reality, then there was no need any of the monitoring system, like supervisiors, police, courts, TRAI, etc., and specially highly paid HR or PR department. Relationship matters a lot, for many things to get done. Why do even top companies need people Managers?? Everyone is highly paid, then why do the companies managers to monitor their work.

In my opinion, it is very wrong expectation. City welfare is every residents and visitors resposniblity. Montioring the system is every citzens responsiblity.

Last edited by manjubp : 7th September 2022 at 21:19.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 22:32   #20164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Easy cop-out to take. Cities are engines of growth and there are so many megacities around the world that manage such populations well.
Apples are to be compared with apples. And I would be very interested in such a comparison genuinely. But I doubt if there are cities around the world with the kind of population densities and the sheer numbers that we deal with here.

There aren't enough urban centres in India and this is a view that resonates quite widely, it may surprise you. This is definitely not an easy cop-out - I disagree.
Old 8th September 2022, 02:52   #20165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Apples are to be compared with apples. And I would be very interested in such a comparison genuinely. But I doubt if there are cities around the world with the kind of population densities and the sheer numbers that we deal with here.
Growth - Bangalore was 40 lakh people in 1990, and was 1.25 cr in 2020, which is approximately 3.2x. In the same time, Dubai grew from 4.7 lakh people to 33 lakhs, which is 7x. You may say that Dubai has oil money (it doesn't) but India grew at 7% in the interval, and I'm quite certain Bangalore easily had double that. Hyderabad has similar growth numbers to Bangalore, yet their infrastructure is the absolute envy of any Indian who's travelled there. Their metro was unveiled to work seamlessly across the city, their roads are WIIIDE, and their road surfaces are excellent. It boils down to political will because these other cities need investment. Bangalore's virtuous cycle of geography->weather->govt institutions->engineering talent->IT employment has meant that politicians need to do NOTHING to attract investment. In fact, the more they do wrong, the more they can REDO and make 2x the money.

Now before anyone accuses me of being an "outsider" or whatever, huttidare...
v1p3r is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 07:20   #20166
Distinguished - BHPian

Having three strong but effectively leaderless parties (bjp, cong, jd-s) has been the curse of Bangalore city. It has become very expensive to win elections and even more expensive to stay in power - this makes corruption very rampant and deeply entrenched. Rapid growth of Bangalore happened in the backdrop of this sorry political environment. Old areas of Bangalore that have not been touched by IT do not give the same vibes. In general, the city inside ORR and the city outside ORR look very different.
androdev is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 07:28   #20167
BHPian

This much analysis is actually not required.

This mess is only in the “new town”.

Accept the fact that short sighted state govts and real estate mafia took Bangalore IT and its dependents for a ride and move on.

What needs to be done is massive drainage works on a scale not attempted before. Does this govt or any of the successive ones that will come have the stomach for it is the question.

Iam not holding my breath.

Last edited by WindRide : 8th September 2022 at 07:29.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 07:44   #20168
BHPian

I have a Passport appointment at Sai Arcade near Eco Space on Friday. Can someone let me know the current situation? I will be traveling from Indiranagar. Google shows the route via Marathahalli to Ecospace service road. Is there any issue if I come via Jakkasandra, Sarjapur road entrance, take the service road and enter left onto the passport office parking road?
Old 8th September 2022, 08:11   #20169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Is there any issue if I come via Jakkasandra, Sarjapur road entrance, take the service road and enter left onto the passport office parking road?
That left from service road to passport office road is a one-way with traffic allowed only onto the ORR service road. You have to go further ahead on the service road and take a 120-degree left turn to get off ORR, cross Sakra Hospital and another left to the PSK parking road. (Maybe they are not implementing this due to the present-day constraints).

The worst waterlogging I think is between Bellandur overpass and Devarabisanahalli overpass. This is the route you will take when you come via Jakkasandra or via Yemalur. I doubt taking the service road is going to help in any way.

Maybe Google's suggested route is your best bet. With the assumption that the road between Bellandur bridge and Mantri Espana is unmotorable.

Edit: HAL traffic police put up this tweet an hour or so back:

https://twitter.com/halairporttrfps/...87149448998915

Last edited by binand : 8th September 2022 at 08:21. Reason: Added tweet link
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 08:20   #20170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I have a Passport appointment at Sai Arcade near Eco Space on Friday. Can someone let me know the current situation? I will be traveling from Indiranagar. Google shows the route via Marathahalli to Ecospace service road. Is there any issue if I come via Jakkasandra, Sarjapur road entrance, take the service road and enter left onto the passport office parking road?
No one can predict what the situation will be on Friday. I stay in one of the affected societies in Yemalur and people have been using rickshaws to get around in this affected Bellandur area. Suggest you do the same. While they will charges twice or thrice the amount, they just know the internal routes to get to the destination. Or park your car in a suitable place 2-3kms before the passport office and hail one. Worse case, you can walk it if you can.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 08:49   #20171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Good commentary by Shekhar Gupta on Bangalore development.
Good analysis! I knew about the municipal election issue, but didn't realize the consequences or how long this had been going on for. A lot of things make sense now. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th September 2022, 08:57   #20172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
This much analysis is actually not required.
As the thread title suggests, we are not analyzing anything here, just ranting

The reasons anyway have been established well before the floods in the >1000 pages of this same thread.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 09:17   #20173
BHPian

My rant, 95% of Bengaluru is being forced to read whatsapp, twitter about Bengaluru being drowned and wondering if they are in the same city !

We all know reasons. Even in business where one makes money there are ethics, rules etc. In the business called governance there is none.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 09:17   #20174
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid KIAL Expressway & the general Yelahanka Doddaballapura Road corridor on Sunday!

BJP’s ‘Janotsava’ rally postponed for the third time
https://www.deccanherald.com/state/t...e-1143043.html
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 10:33   #20175
Senior - BHPian

Its the politicians who are saying "if you have a problem move out" It's easy for them right! Bengaluru south has the youngest MP, and I had high hopes, but he doesnt visit his constituency. Next year one thin layer of temporary roads are guaranteed as they will all do the rounds for elections
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Now before anyone accuses me of being an "outsider" or whatever, huttidare...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks