Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 13:04   #20146
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Good commentary by Shekhar Gupta on Bangalore development.

rjainv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:15   #20147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Those who forget History are condemned to repeat it.

As much as this is an opportunity to take a hard look at the problem and find solutions, I'm sure that by Sunday, if it stops raining and the water recedes, everyone will be out at the malls, partying, eating out and going about their lives as usual.

We all have short-term memories and this is what the people in power depend upon to avoid solving the problem as it will be detrimental to their plans as there is way too much money at stake. No one is going to leave Bangalore even the ones complaining or mocking the situation. There is no collective will to keep the pressure on and bring about change. How many of us are willing to sit out on an indefinite protest until change happens?

I sincerely hope that we will see change, but I feel it's a big ask!!!
madhav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:27   #20148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I stay in old Bangalore and any civic issues, we residents will go to local MLA/BBMP ward office/Canceller to get our work, even phone calls does serve teh purpose.
+1 to that, that is the way to go about solving these issues, form a good working relationship with the local administrators on the ground over years. That's the way it happens in my area too.

But here's the thing- even I sort of inherited these connections and was able to leverage and fit-in to the working relationships that my more elder neighbors had established. My neighbor uncle took me to the local BBMP office, to the local corporator office and things like that. We were lucky to have a lot of these systems in place already. So isn't it harsh to blame the newer residents in these new localities for not having the years of accumulated benefit yet?
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 14:16   #20149

I am right now in a situation where I am trying hard to engage local politicians and bureaucrats in influencing a Nala project (Not in Bengaluru). The apathy I find with residents (these are the very people this project would impact - adversely, if not planned well) in ignoring calls to participate (just show up, nothing else) is appalling!

Most do not care. They have this assumption that they can always decide their next course of action depending on the outcome. They don’t speak-up, but complain incessantly in private and in forums. Everyone else is to be blamed except them.

I am aware it is not expected of them to fight every step of the way. But, hey - THIS, is India and you need to fight every step of way.

Just as a comparison- The Supertech Tower demolition was made possible by determined efforts of ONLY 4 woke senior citizens! The media reports called out how they struggled to keep the momentum going for 9 years (7 years in Supreme Court) with limited (or no) support from other residents. Unfortunately, they still have to fight their way - all over again.

So, I have made up mind. I might lose, but not without a fight. Even with limited resources and -extremely limited supply of - like minded people.
OldWays is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 14:51   #20150

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone have any updates on the BLR-Hosur-Chennai route? Any waterlogging etc.?
I travelled to Salem on Monday morning and returned back to Bangalore on Monday night by around 10:00pm. The road condition from Bangalore to Krishnagiri is normal. Don't know much about Krishnagiri to Bangalore.
germin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:01   #20151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
My neighbor uncle took me to the local BBMP office, to the local corporator office and things like that. We were lucky to have a lot of these systems in place already. So isn't it harsh to blame the newer residents in these new localities for not having the years of accumulated benefit yet?
Why should it be necessary to have congenial relationship with the local authorities to get good road, good drainage systems, etc? Shouldn't everyone just do their job responsibly on their own accord? We get paid to do it. So just do it! I think sense of responsibility is lacking among many people in our country.
Guite is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:17   #20152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
+1 to that, that is the way to go about solving these issues, form a good working relationship with the local administrators on the ground over years. That's the way it happens in my area too.

But here's the thing- even I sort of inherited these connections and was able to leverage and fit-in to the working relationships that my more elder neighbors had established. My neighbor uncle took me to the local BBMP office, to the local corporator office and things like that. We were lucky to have a lot of these systems in place already. So isn't it harsh to blame the newer residents in these new localities for not having the years of accumulated benefit yet?
Exactly. Lack of connections and lack of knowledge of the local language are major hindrances when it comes to fighting/working with the system.

And another point is that a big chunk of the population in these areas are young folks who have moved in from other cities for their first job. They are still trying to find their footing both on the work front as well as living on their own for the first time. They do not have the know-how to navigate the bureaucracy and expect their landlords to take care of the issues, the same landlords who have flouted the rules and built illegal buildings.

Being new, most don't have a vote here as well. All the more reason for the politicians to ignore this group.
Jaguar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:29   #20153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
....The apathy towards Blr infra guts me just as much as anyone else. But I don't abuse the city - it's given me much more than I have given it!
Nice sentiments there and I can relate to them completely. What is happening though is that criticism of the administration is being taken as criticism of the 'locals' or 'old timers'. This is unfortunate. No one is criticising the ordinary citizen or grudging them their better quality of life. I will admit that a lot of hubris are increasingly on display, with the newer folk putting insensitive messages on social media that entire Bangalore lives on their tax money and such. Firstly this is not verifiable and even if it is, it is not as if someone living in Malleswaram or Jayanagar or Rajajinagar is sitting at BBMP office trying to actively divert funds towards their area. The 'locals' are more conscious of their rights and assert them. Newer residents (including myself) need to do the same.
Malyaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:33   #20154
BHPian

Quote:
Came in last evening from Coimbatore, and it was a breeze through Krishnagiri! Am sure Chennai side is also largely dry!
Juggy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 16:29   #20155
BHPian

A small PSA based on recent events. Today I went to a fuel station in Mahadevapura and the attendant mentioned that it is closed because rain water mixed with fuel in the underground tank, and they are waiting for an IOC engineer to come and verify/fix it before they resume the services. I heard a similar story at the HP fuel station in the neighborhood. But nearby Shell is selling fuel, I didn't go for it though. Because of inherent doubts and also, Shell's non-premium diesel is Rs 38/- expensive than IOC/HP.*

So, try to avoid fuel stations in impacted areas for a couple of weeks.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 16:32   #20156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Why should it be necessary to have congenial relationship with the local authorities to get good road, good drainage systems, etc? Shouldn't everyone just do their job responsibly on their own accord? We get paid to do it. So just do it! I think sense of responsibility is lacking among many people in our country.
I agree with this in principle. We as tax paying citizens living in a city are owed at least this much by those who collect our taxes.

However, this may be an Utopian dream. Utopia is one thing and our reality, sadly is different.
To accomplish much stuff in most parts of the world, one does need a congenial set of relationships.
The difference is that in countries such as ours, nothing comes automatically, but everything has to be coaxed and cajoled and fought for, every step of the way. Thats the tragedy.

I went to Decathlon Sarjapura Road to buy my Dad something this afternoon. Sunny Brooks is still waterlogged and there is a big engine pumping water out. A tractor is there but its front portion appears partially submerged. It was at a steep angle. Rainbow Drive has shut its gates but one can see the river inside through a hole in the gate when one passes. Next to Rainbow Drive is one more layout, also under water. There is a Fire Engine parked there. And a gum boot clad news reporter and her team absolutely bristling with microphones and cameras.

Life seems to be going on.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th September 2022 at 16:35. Reason: Additional stuff
shankar.balan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 17:07   #20157
BHPian

Quote:
I came back on Monday afternoon from Vellore back to Bangalore. No water logging and a great drive.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 17:35   #20158
BHPian

Re: 15-year old Karizma submerged in flooded basement | EDIT: Now restored

Greetings to all.

Can you post the current flood situation in, Bangalore. Location wise.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2022 at 20:14. Reason: Moved to the appropriate thread
Old 7th September 2022, 17:39   #20159
Distinguished - BHPian

If you do a 5-why analysis for the flooding and indiscriminate growth of Bangalore (and other Indian cities), it will come down to the excessive population inflow to the city. This has to stop.

We need more cities AND the freedom to work from anywhere permanently.

Or, we need to implement zoning strictly in all cities, towns and villages.

Else, India is going to cede its position as an okayish outsourcing/product development destination. There are cheaper destinations to offshore to already; it's only that English/cultural barriers exist in those other places and they all lack our accumulated experience.
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 18:10   #20160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
We need more cities AND the freedom to work from anywhere permanently.

Or, we need to implement zoning strictly in all cities, towns and villages.
Seems we are deliberately trying to unlearn what we saw from last 2 years. In many organisations productivity was actually much more owing to not wasting time and energy in traffic. I myself could achieve much more in a day while working from home rather than wasting on commute time, and have had much less nasal/ throat infections owing to avoiding the pollution. More satisfaction at work and no headaches (literally) means good sleep at night.

But the promoters and associated property stakeholders lost their sleep. So we now find circulars from govt. asking for 50% occupancy from offices (as mentioned by a BHPian some pages above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
only that English/cultural barriers exist in those other places and they all lack our accumulated experience.
English is not our native language either, so we cannot hold on to it as advantage for long. As for experience, well, automation can wipe out significant portions of it (certainly not all).
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks