Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 11:59   #18646
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Now, a bicycle lane design challenge for Bangalore citizens by DULT (Directorate of Urban Land Transport):
http://www.urbantransport.kar.gov.in...lenge/bls.html
Old 18th September 2020, 12:07   #18647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Now, a bicycle lane design challenge for Bangalore citizens by DULT (Directorate of Urban Land Transport):
http://www.urbantransport.kar.gov.in...lenge/bls.html
If everything citizens are meant to do, what are the “respected” officers earning salaries doing.

Old 21st September 2020, 20:20   #18648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
If everything citizens are meant to do, what are the “respected” officers earning salaries doing.

Its called public-private partnership, if you haven't heard about it. If you win the challenge, you or your company can implement the project funded by DULT. Good change compared to awarding it to some corrupt contractor we complain daily.

Another challenge they have listed here, if you are a member of RWA(Resident Welfare Association) or Civil Society Organization(CSO) you can apply and 10 applicants will be selected and funded 50 lakh each to implement sustainable neighborhood (Cycling lane/Walking path) in their area. Example, Like you can implement Walking and Cycling path from your neighborhood to a school or metro station or commercial place, etc.

Last edited by shamanth : 21st September 2020 at 20:25.
shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 22:02   #18649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The guys are doing some major revamp at this part of ring road, utter chaotic now.

Hopefully someone will pay attention to these.
Drove around a bit on ORR and saw a bunch of these signs. Entry and exit from ORR has become even more restricted. The good thing is that probably for the first time ever, seeing signs that make some sense and help guide the motorists properly. They will take some time getting used to to, but they at least guide correctly.

Bus lane with bollards may be an unpopular opinion and even I was frustrated driving on the remaining 1.5 lanes, but noticed that the bus lanes were largely unobstructed and buses were rapidly moving ahead-Even considering that ORR traffic is nowhere near the pre-covid peaks.
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:50   #18650
Senior - BHPian

So I really like the Hollow bricks that are placed in the ORR near hebbal. Along with a barricade. On Sunday, a Taxi suddenly veered towards me as I was overtaking him and my right front tyre hit this brick in the middle of the road and tore immediately.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2d6e668cef9342daa038685ab9be87c9.jpeg

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 22nd September 2020 at 19:51. Reason: Spacing
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:38   #18651
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it just me, or is Bangalore the 2nd tier village that it has become, a huge problem for everyone living in it?

I admit it, I was raised in a very rosy part of Bangalore (Shanthala Nagar), where colonial culture dominates even to this day, and thereafter in suburbs that were/are generally quite modern. I was the kind of guy who never really travelled in my own city, heck until 5-6 years ago I didn't know where Malleshwaram or Yelahanka were.

Now with work taking me places, I'm slowly realising that once you take away the top 4 or 5 localities within the city, it is very much a horrendous village. Extremely poor city planning, narrowest roads one can find (on par with Kerala), dusty and dirty, rocks and stones laying asunder, etc etc.

However with a few night or evening trips (5 pm was my return to home deadline but slowly work timings keep expanding), I've come to realize that street lighting is zero in this village, way way less than Chennai or Delhi.. Mumbai in comparison, if you're out even at 12 am it seems like 6 pm with the super-bright street-lights.

There is an excuse that prime roads bordering army land (Bangalore was an army outpost city during British times) shouldn't be lit for security purposes, I call b.s on that, Bangalore having become what it has, shouldn't be manipulated by about 3000 acres of prime city land swallowed up by the army, that land can easily give way for a Manhattan type business district. They are even controlling the public street lighting?

After the lockdown, city maintenance is at an all time low. No lighting, no quick completion of road works, zero tarring works etc. The corporators at BBMP (the most corrupt entity in the entire cosmos) are busy floating tenders and approving then at nominal commission so that they may build their noble mansions.

Should change the name to Dig-a-looru. As a senior BHPian once said, and I'll make that statement more family friendly, the whole of BBMP should be cuffed and paraded.

That's about 6 months of rants right there.
dark.knight is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:45   #18652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
There is an excuse that prime roads bordering army land (Bangalore was an army outpost city during British times) shouldn't be lit for security purposes, I call b.s on that, Bangalore having become what it has, shouldn't be manipulated by about 3000 acres of prime city land swallowed up by the army, that land can easily give way for a Manhattan type business district. They are even controlling the public street lighting?
It is because of these army outposts that we have some green cover and lung space remaining. Else land sharks abound. Be careful about who you curse.

I prefer the army to the manhattan krappola.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:04   #18653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it just me, or is Bangalore the 2nd tier village that it has become, a huge problem for everyone living in it?

I admit it, I was raised in a very rosy part of Bangalore (Shanthala Nagar), where colonial culture dominates even to this day, and thereafter in suburbs that were/are generally quite modern. I was the kind of guy who never really travelled in my own city, heck until 5-6 years ago I didn't know where Malleshwaram or Yelahanka were.
I live in the same area, the "Smart City" initiative has dumbed the whole area. Have stopped using my bigger car and use the Polo in order to squeeze through tight traffic. I am more grateful for my office being nearby than for the salary.

I have no problem driving out of town but hate to drive to another part of town!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:09   #18654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It is because of these army outposts that we have some green cover and lung space remaining. Else land sharks abound. Be careful about who you curse
I wrote that with full awareness and as a taxpaying stakeholder of the land, I say it's too late, Bangalore has become too big and cannot afford to lose 3000+ acres of prime central land, my heart bleeds looking at that waste of space.

I'm also a nature guy, but if that space should exist, it should be open to public as a large nature reserve.

Army grounds are generally not complete ecosystems, no wildlife can thrive within, so I consider that space as entirely wasted. The rulers can easily relocate them about 100 km away. What really got to me was the fact that BBMP uses them as an excuse to switch off streetlights, ever drove on IRR in pitch dark?

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd September 2020 at 08:11.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:09   #18655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It is because of these army outposts that we have some green cover and lung space remaining.
Absolutely! Even Cubbon Park land has been encroached upon in the past, thanks to the large land area the army holds there, the CBD is still open and green.

Quote:
I admit it, I was raised in a very rosy part of Bangalore (Shanthala Nagar), where colonial culture dominates even to this day
Wasn't lucky enough to grow up there, but went to school there in the 90s and till a few years ago, worked in that area. Previously, the several schools and colleges in that area also helped ensure that there was a lot of open space and trees, but the past decade has seen even these institutions raising multi-floor buildings on what was open playgrounds. My school also wiped out a couple of open spaces to put up a couple of new buildings. Only the army area seems more or less intact as I remember it. And thanks to the vigilance of the public, Cubbon Park too in recent times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I live in the same area, the "Smart City" initiative has dumbed the whole area. Have stopped using my bigger car and use the Polo in order to squeeze through tight traffic.
Can understand this from the point of view of someone who lives there, must be a real hassle. But just to give a different point of view, of someone who visits that area, I think the wider footpaths under the 'Smart City' plan has made it easier for me to visit using the Metro. (I have no idea/comment about the efficacy/efficiency/fund utilization of the overall smart city plan though.)

Last edited by am1m : 23rd September 2020 at 08:15.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:41   #18656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I live in the same area, the "Smart City" initiative has dumbed the whole area. Have stopped using my bigger car and use the Polo in order to squeeze through tight traffic. I am more grateful for my office being nearby than for the salary.

I have no problem driving out of town but hate to drive to another part of town!
Agree, although it is the best sidewalk I've seen, possibly in India as well, the only place where the sidewalk is used, have observed that they've put digital parking indicators of late with numerical marked kerb plates. Also, yes I've seen a Jetta make its way out of Lavelle via Richmond Rd, has to be you. We're regular visitors here to reminisce.

Walton Road and Papanna St are super desirable now, who'd have thought.
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:28   #18657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I admit it, I was raised in a very rosy part of Bangalore (Shanthala Nagar), where colonial culture dominates....
After the lockdown, city maintenance is at an all time low. No lighting, no quick completion of road works, zero tarring works etc. The corporators at BBMP (the most corrupt entity in the entire cosmos) are busy floating tenders and approving then at nominal commission so that they may build their noble mansions.
I am not sure whether you have been to this "rosy" part of town recently, but if you do venture onto Lavelle Road, Walton Road etc. you will probably get the shock of your life. My office is in this area and hence I ned to commute to and from here. There is a new cash cow in town called Bangalore Smart City Limited (as Mod Ajmat has also mentioned), on the strength of which the entire stretch of road is completely dug up, with JCB and tractors blocking what is left of the road during prime office hours, creating absolute havoc and traffic. No clue when this Smart City thing will get done, but definitely not for a few months during which everyone involved will be milking money away to glory. Not to mention, the roads will remain in horrendous condition till that time.

And oh - of course, this comes 6-8 months after crores and crores were spent completely repaving Lavelle Road under the Tender Sure project. All the beautifully laid out footpaths under that project are now demolished by this current nuisance. More money to contractors and politicians involved in redoing it yet again, AFTER Smart City funds have been sucked dry - yeahh!!

And this is the so called super- posh area of town.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd September 2020 at 09:32.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:50   #18658
Senior - BHPian

The city has seen over 2 decades of some serious decline. Now we have hit absolute Nadir. I used to take this road from Brigade Millennium to ORR, and to my shock they completely dug up and blocked this road by the lake - forcing me to take a long detour. Hate the situation we are in, and for being so helpless in this 'democracy'. I was born here, and wont move out for sure. But I surely envy the 'roads' in our neighbouring States
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:28   #18659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The city has seen over 2 decades of some serious decline. Now we have hit absolute Nadir. I used to take this road from Brigade Millennium to ORR, and to my shock they completely dug up and blocked this road by the lake - forcing me to take a long detour. Hate the situation we are in, and for being so helpless in this 'democracy'. I was born here, and wont move out for sure. But I surely envy the 'roads' in our neighbouring States
Are you talking about the road just before the temple (opposite Inchara restaurant) which connects to ORR? That is my daily route as well. If so, this road was completely repaved just a few months back (after being in shambles for months before that), and now they have dug it up once again and blocked the road completely.

I am really astounded at the level of stupidity and non-planning that goes into these road works. Repair, relay, and re-dig. Repeat it again and again. That seems to be the mantra.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:45   #18660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am really astounded at the level of stupidity and non-planning that goes into these road works. Repair, relay, and re-dig. Repeat it again and again.
That is the whole planning saaar - continuous repairs, continuous work/tendering, continuous money (ours!) siphoned off!
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks