Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 10:57   #18631
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Icing on the cake :
If you thought only the red pillars of the bus lane would be a pain going ahead - brace yourself for the new one.
I happened to drive on the outer ring road after a week or so; I was taken aback by multiple exits to the service lane blocked on the Iblur to KR puram stretch.

There were two entries to the service lane previous to croma between martahalli and kadubesnahalli(opposite police station). I thought I would take the second exit to go to Panathur only to find it blocked. So proceeded ahead - observed the new horizon exit before ETV is also sealed now. I moved on and took a U-Turn under the intel flyover. I found that they are also closing the exit before the Kadubisnahalli underpass. Fortunately, one block was missing, and I carefully could exit out of ORR for yesterday, but I can only imagine the mess this would create going further.
This could be because of the proposed cycle track coming up in ORR?!

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/77968392.cms
Old 7th September 2020, 11:46   #18632

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I don't think it is fair to blame the government entirely. Yes the authorities are at fault for not planning the overall growth of the city better, but in neighborhoods like mine, a lot of home owners have 'redeveloped' their homes to include 2-3 extra floors and given those out on rent.

Anyway, one silver lining in the huge, dark, covid-cloud is that Cubbon Park which was closed during the lockdown and is still shut for vehicles may finally return to becoming vehicle-free, the way it was a long time ago. A very welcome move I think!
I partially agree. People building extra floors is a also because of BBMP turning a blind eye to the violations. But yes, like you said people are to be blamed too. But there is no easy way to sort this mess and so i guess we should just live with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
Icing on the cake :
I happened to drive on the outer ring road after a week or so; I was taken aback by multiple exits to the service lane blocked on the Iblur to KR puram stretch. ....but I can only imagine the mess this would create going further.
i also noticed this and was pleasantly surprised. I think this is a good way for traffic to enter and exit outer ring road. Unlike the earlier exits which was just a cut in the divider and could allow for two way traffic movement, the new exits are cuts in the divider at an angle and is meant only for vehicles exiting the outer ring road.
yogie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 22:18   #18633
Senior - BHPian

Driving through this lane separator poles/barricades on outer ring road has become a hit or miss game. Saw numerous near miss cases due to close contact with these poles and lack of room in the remaining two lanes and of-course our in-disciplined lane manners. Today there happened to be a chaos and a Zomato guy was knocked down by a Brio. Wasn't a major accident but the Brio sped away, but I gave a chase to get his number (KA03MT7207 - White Brio) and came back and gave it to that biker. No clue how far he will go behind that. I just did not want to leave it open. Brio could have at least stopped to check on him. Yes, the ORR is getting dangerous with all these things around.
Old 10th September 2020, 08:29   #18634
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised no one posted on the flooding last couple of days in many BLR neighborhoods. Most of Hebbal valley was flooded with Manyata TP & adjoining areas badly affected.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/78027839.cms

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...ny-885137.html
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:50   #18635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised no one posted on the flooding last couple of days in many BLR neighborhoods. Most of Hebbal valley was flooded with Manyata TP & adjoining areas badly affected.
The huge Stormwater drain which drains into Nagawara Lake after abutting Manyata is rumored to have been narrowed down by some construction. This could be the reason for the Horrific images.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.39.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.41.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.43.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.44.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.45.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20200909-13.41.48.jpeg
wildsdi5530 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:16   #18636
Senior - BHPian

The guys are doing some major revamp at this part of ring road, utter chaotic now.

Some cool sign boards are ON:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20200910_164411.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20200910_164334.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20200910_164301.jpg

Hopefully someone will pay attention to these.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:45   #18637
BHPian

Hello guys,

Has anyone used the MES ROAD flyover recently in either direction? This is the one which connects BEL circle to Goraguntapalya junction on Tumkur road.

It is, according to me, the world's worst flyover .

There were reports about this apology of a flyover being fixed about a month ago. Have not heard anything since.

I might need to go in that direction soon.
Old 12th September 2020, 18:44   #18638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The guys are doing some major revamp at this part of ring road, utter chaotic now.

Some cool sign boards are ON:
I think there is a Pop-Up Cycle lane coming up in Service lane of ORR which will be barricaded with poles similar to Bus lane, looks like work has started. This is the place where Cabs and maxi-cabs used to park, space is now better utilized..
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpg  

Last edited by shamanth : 12th September 2020 at 18:45.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 19:00   #18639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think there is a Pop-Up Cycle lane coming up in Service lane of ORR which will be barricaded with poles similar to Bus lane, looks like work has started. This is the place where Cabs and maxi-cabs used to park, space is now better utilized..
What does popup mean in this context?

Also, shouldn't it have been on the left edge of the service road?

Most importantly, why the hell are they milling the road? Milling is normally done to keep road height unchanged. But in the present case, the adjoining footpath (throughout ORR, pretty much) is so very high that it'd have been ok if the road height got raised.

Dumb and dumber!

BTW: I'm just wondering how long this bus and bicycle lanes stuff will remain effective, bcoz metro construction is expected to start in 3-4 months, if news is to be believed; in which case, all this (incl bus lane) will likely be repurposed during the metro construction period.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 19:09   #18640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Hello guys,

Has anyone used the MES ROAD flyover recently in either direction? This is the one which connects BEL circle to Goraguntapalya junction on Tumkur road.

It is, according to me, the world's worst flyover .

There were reports about this apology of a flyover being fixed about a month ago. Have not heard anything since.

I might need to go in that direction soon.
There is repair work going on currenlty - The concrete and asphalt layer on top of the flyover is being removed and relaid. One half (gorguntepalaya to BEL) is completed and work started on the other half last day. As of now vehicles are being allowed only from BEL circle side to Gorguntepalaya on the now revamped lane. Major culvert work is happening opposite Taj hotel Gorguntepalaya , besides the bustop towards BEL circle.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 23:05   #18641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
What does popup mean in this context?

Also, shouldn't it have been on the left edge of the service road?

Most importantly, why the hell are they milling the road? Milling is normally done to keep road height unchanged. But in the present case, the adjoining footpath (throughout ORR, pretty much) is so very high that it'd have been ok if the road height got raised.
Attaching the pic of the Bicycle lane plan in ORR. Dedicated barricaded Bicycle lane is called Pop-up lane i think, its referred to pop-up lane world over.

If they make Bicycle lane left edge, its almost impossible to ride cycle and all vehicles will be cross Bicycle lane to get into office gates, so this way Cyclists will have unobstructed route in ORR.

This is the 1st road in Bangalore they are experimenting with pop-up Bicycle lane, earlier in Jayanagar Ashoka Pillar road they did do Bicycle lane but without barricading(pop-up) DULT has collected another 108 routes from citizens and analyzing implementation, even if this ORR pop-up lane is succesful for few month or year it will be example for other pop-up Bicycle lane coming up in other road of the City.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4.jpg  

Last edited by shamanth : 12th September 2020 at 23:24.
shamanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 23:29   #18642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post

If they make Bicycle lane left edge, its almost impossible to ride cycle and all vehicles will be cross Bicycle lane to get into office gates, so this way Cyclists will have unobstructed route in ORR.
By that logic, won't it obstruct vehicles trying to enter the main lane of ORR from service lane or vice versa? Also most service lanes have bidirectional traffic. How are they going to handle this?
I feel this is simply another case of our authorities stupidly copying a western idea and implemented without much thought. I am guessing they saw a bicycle lane in a right side driving country and copy pasted the plan here without changing the lanes.
I am very certain that they have copied this from a RHD country because already there are numerous places in the same outer ring road where the right most lane becomes an exit lane and takes drivers by surprise causing accidents! Ideally we should have exits on the left lane. I was involved in a fender bender near Hebbal while I was driving from Nagavara side where the right most lane exits the ring road to join the city. I was driving in parallel with another car. I was in the middle lane and he was on the right side. He wanted to continue in the ring road and was not aware that the right most lane will exit and he noticed at the last second and swerved left and ended up bruising my car but he barely managed to squeeze his car and avoided hitting head-on with the divider! I have seen many photos of accidents where vehicles have hit the lane separators of the exit lane and the ring road lane. If you think about it, every single one of the exits lanes (except service roads) in the ORR is on the right! In some places they have realized this mistake and have even blocked the right most lane from few meters ahead probably to avoid such mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

BTW: I'm just wondering how long this bus and bicycle lanes stuff will remain effective, bcoz metro construction is expected to start in 3-4 months, if news is to be believed; in which case, all this (incl bus lane) will likely be repurposed during the metro construction period.
What a colossal waste of public funds!! First they spent crores for white topping and then for bus lane and now they are going to destroy both to start metro? Forget the monetary waste, what about the pain the commuters suffered for 3 years of traffic jams due to white topping?
I think the politicians are having a free hand to do anything and still get away because most of the techie population of Bangalore are not registered to vote in Bangalore but in their natives. Because of this our babus dont have to worry that people might vote them out of power if they do something stupid. They are looting their way to glory!

Last edited by nagr22 : 12th September 2020 at 23:45.
nagr22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:11   #18643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
By that logic, won't it obstruct vehicles trying to enter the main lane of ORR from service lane or vice versa? Also most service lanes have bidirectional traffic. How are they going to handle this?

What a colossal waste of public funds!! First they spent crores for white topping and then for bus lane and now they are going to destroy both to start metro?
Don't think they are just bunch of stupid officials formulating Popup Bicycle lane, DULT has included public including several Cycling groups to input their suggestions and assist them in implementation. if you are interested in suggestions please log into DULT with your suggestions and maybe if you have time could attend their meetings also. They had invited public for suggesting Cycle lanes till Aug 14th all over bangalore and it was published in major news papers if you have missed it. I haven't been actively participated in their initiative but following them on their good work as a armature cyclist who started cycling in lock-down.

None of my cycling friends thinks its a "colossal waste of public funds", Govt spends billions on roads, Flyovers and road widening, etc, but that has not stopped Traffic jam, more roads for car, more people will buy cars and more traffice Jam. Lets not rant sustainable mode of transports like Bus, Cycle lane and other public transport.

Yes, future investment in many cities not just Bangalore, will be on sustainable mode of transport, if that means more traffic jam for personal motorized transport, so be it. Lot of people are buying cycling, and good that govt is giving more thrust on it, there is 3-4 months of waiting period of most cycles now including in Decathlon.

Last edited by shamanth : 13th September 2020 at 16:24.
Old 13th September 2020, 17:44   #18644
Senior - BHPian

Well, all i can think of is that this arrangement for the cyclists is better off with their lanes. This lane was anyways wasted, thanks to the cabs and tempo travelers parked here. If they aren't parked, it gets occupied by the hand cart juice vendors and food vendors from 11 am thru 4 pm. And this meant that the cabs used to park anywhere if they are thirsty or hungry.
Old 14th September 2020, 19:24   #18645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
This lane was anyways wasted, thanks to the cabs and tempo travelers parked here. If they aren't parked, it gets occupied by the hand cart juice vendors and food vendors from 11 am thru 4 pm.
The concept of dedicated bicycle lane is good but like the bus lane if proper enforcement is not there, then success may be limited. I have seen successful implementation of two wheeler lanes in few Chinese cities. I don't think putting cycle lane on the right side is a good idea as egress/ingress from/to ORR might create obstructions.

Last edited by airbus : 14th September 2020 at 19:33. Reason: Minor correction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks