Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 12:56   #14206
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This thread is becoming slowly insignificant to me. I started commuting via trains from Hosur to BLR and I feel its the best decision taken! Here is what my schedule looks like:

1. Catch the 8:15 am train -06592. Usually there is a delay and the trains have easily 15 to 40 mins delay.
2. Reach Bellandur road station by 9:20 am to 9:30 am.
3. Catch a share auto from the station to the ORR main road. The auto drops at the entrance of the Panathur road in ORR, Kadubeesanahalli.
4. From there its a 15 mins walk to my office in Embassy Tech Village.
5. Evening I have my office shuttle at 6:45 pm.
6. I reach Carmelaram station by 7:15 to 7:20pm.
7. Catch the 7 pm train - 76553. Usually has a 30 mins delay. So no issues in catching this train.
8. Reach hosur by 8:15 pm. Reach home by 8:30 pm.

There is a telegram group in which there are close to 3000 members and they provide real time updates.

Because of the above commute, my daily travel is stress free, convenient and cheap. Here is what my monthly cost looks like:

1. Rs 20 parking charge for my car at Hosur station
2. Rs. 20 share auto per day.
3. Season pass for 3 months - Rs.500

Monthly costs ( assuming 20 working days in a month)

1. Parking - 20x20 = Rs. 400
2. Share Auto - 20x20 = Rs.400
3. Season pass- 500/3 = Rs. 167

Total = Rs.967
sairamboko is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 14:01   #14207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
1. Catch the 8:15 am train -06592. ....
Lucky boy!! But a quick question, from the timings you have mentioned your work (+commute) day is pretty much 12 hours. What was the timings when you chose a non-Train mode? Was it more or less?

I feel the cost benefits would be a real bonus, if the "work day" remains the same or perhaps even extended a bit.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 14:32   #14208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Lucky boy!! But a quick question, from the timings you have mentioned your work (+commute) day is pretty much 12 hours. What was the timings when you chose a non-Train mode? Was it more or less?

I feel the cost benefits would be a real bonus, if the "work day" remains the same or perhaps even extended a bit.
Yes its pretty much 12 hours , its a trade off I am willing to do. If i travel by car it takes 1hr 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins if i take the bagalur road. Total distance of commute would be 70kms in a day! Monthly I may have to spend Rs6000 or more for petrol!
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 21:15   #14209
BHPian

Since we have drifted to the Metro conversation.

Does anyone have details of the train timings, to and fro between
Baiyappanahalli Metro Station - Hoodi ?

i.e. Hoodi being the closest to ITPL + I believe it just takes 10 - 15 min , vs 45 min by road.
Old 21st June 2017, 21:30   #14210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
This thread is becoming slowly insignificant to me. I started commuting via trains from Hosur to BLR and I feel its the best decision taken! Here is what my schedule looks like:

7. Catch the 7 pm train - 76553. Usually has a 30 mins delay. So no issues in catching this train.
Nice. The cost savings are definitely significant. And I assume you are aware that post the 7PM passenger, there are 2 express trains which stop at Karmelaram (Mayiladuthurai Exp and Kannur Exp at 7.40 and 8.40 respectively) that you can use in case you get delayed. Looking forward to seeing how this option sustains for you.

Although I don't take the trains, still part of the telegram group. Very helpful I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Since we have drifted to the Metro conversation.

i.e. Hoodi being the closest to ITPL + I believe it just takes 10 - 15 min , vs 45 min by road.
You can check real time info on https://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in/ntes/ or the NTES App. Screenshot below.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-byphoodi.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hoodibyp.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st June 2017 at 21:39.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:25   #14211
Distinguished - BHPian

I finally took the metro to work again after a long break. The good parts:
  • Reached National college station and found that they have made use of a park to provide parking and this is bang opposite the entrance to the station.
  • Boarded the train at National College, Basavanagudi @ 7:04AM. Reached early at 6:55 but had to wait. Apparently the frequency was 10 minutes and I had just missed the previous train
  • Reached Majestic in an astonishing 5 minutes. The Train was not crowded and a few seats were left. However, majority of the train seemed to empty at Majestic
  • Transit to Purple line was simpler than I thought. I just had to climb up a stair and poof! I could see the platform to BYPL.
  • Purple line seemed to run at a higher frequency and the next train was just 4 min away.
  • Crowd on Purple line was ideal and no jam packing.
  • Reached BYPL at 730 and just missed the 56510 SBC-MKM passenger.
The bad part starts here:
  • Experimented taking metro feeder bus and had to wait for the bus to arrive. This was a 10 minute wait
  • When the bus arrived, it wouldn't depart immediately but they wanted to pick more passengers, though the bus had a decent crowd. This led to a 10 minute wait.
  • Bus finally left at 752 and reached prestige shantiniketan at 820 given that the traffic was relatively smooth and the driver was aggressive. If not, then expect a delay of 10 minutes extra.
  • Reached office at 825, which is a total time of 1:40min.
  • If I left my house at 6:45 in my car, I would have reached office at 7:25 and could have caught some delicious breakfast in office. By the time I reached, the breakfast was closed and I had to eat out.
Total cost of the journey:
Metro ticket: 30(35 without smart card)
Bus ticket: 65 (Didnt take pass since I planned to take the train back to BYPL in the evening)
Cost of breakfast: Extra

Had I taken train, the cost would have been peanuts. That will bring the overall cost down too. But bus seems to be a really bad idea. Compared to this, I guess I burn around 250 bucks of fuel daily. With the metro, we can scale it down to ~70-100 bucks daily if we take train and then an autorick or something to office.

Quote:

I guess this is the only viable and economical way out. It usually takes 10 mins provided the train gets green signal promptly. If at all it has to wait for section clearance, you can expect another 10 minutes. But still, it is preferable for me instead of taking the road since it will at least take 40 minutes to reach BYPL from Hoodi in a bus or cab. The earliest I have managed in my car is 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Although I don't take the trains, still part of the telegram group. Very helpful I would say.
Is there a group for the BYPL to Hoodi stretch as well? I would love to be a part of it. If anyone is aware of the same then please let me know.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:42   #14212
Senior - BHPian

List of trains from Whitefield to Hoodi

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wfd-hoody.png

List of trains from Baiyappanahalli to Hoodi

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bypl-hoodi.png

Last edited by suresh_gs : 22nd June 2017 at 09:44.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:53   #14213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
[*]If I left my house at 6:45 in my car, I would have reached office at 7:25 and could have caught some delicious breakfast in office. By the time I reached, the breakfast was closed and I had to eat out.
To me, the highlighted part always looks yummy which is making me survive the ordeal of traveling ~100 kms a day to work and back.

No matter what, I strictly start at 0625 and reach work by 0715 Max. I am so particular that I even want to beat the small little pile ups caused by Company buses that reach early (Siemens followed by Wipro) if I start any later than 0640.

Takes me 50 Minutes for onward - 38 Kms & 70 Minutes for return & 57 kms via NICE till PESIT exit.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20170622093715.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20170622093741.png

So, super early start and early return, if the organization and nature of work permits, has been my way to beat the traffic mess and not complain.

I would still be trying the Metro option once it connects to my area of work but as of now, this has been working flawlessly for me.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:08   #14214
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately there are no direct suburban trains from Hosur to Whitefield. With DEMUs this should not be a problem even though the train direction changes at Baiyappanahalli. The SWR should focus on developing Heelalige railway station and BMTC should provide more feeder buses from E City / Chandapura to Heelalige. With this sizeable chunk of population commuting from E city to ITPL / Whitefield can switch over to the train.
Likewise another suburban train from Hosur to Yesvantpur could cater to people working in Manyata with Banaswadi station being the transit point.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:51   #14215
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. The cost savings are definitely significant. And I assume you are aware that post the 7PM passenger, there are 2 express trains which stop at Karmelaram (Mayiladuthurai Exp and Kannur Exp at 7.40 and 8.40 respectively) that you can use in case you get delayed. Looking forward to seeing how this option sustains for you.

Hi Rajeev, yeah that's the option. I can catch Mayiladuthurai or Kannur if I miss the Dhamapuri passenger. But from what I have seen , the passenger always comes late because of preference to other express trains and hence it will be stuck in a station for crossing. The telegram group is like google maps for me. I used google maps for my commute when I was in Bangalore and now this telegram group.

I have actually found 3 other employees in my office commuting via trains to hosur. We are actually waiting for our new building to be opened ( Wells Fargo, new building at the entrance of Embassy Tech Village). Once we occupy that, we are planning to use the office cab/shuttle for our commute from station to office and vice versa.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:40   #14216
BHPian

Quote:

You can check real time info on https://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in/ntes/ or the NTES App. Screenshot below.
Thanks for the link, I could not locate the Hoodi station code earlier.
Also what is this Telegram group that you mentioned about ?
Could you please let me know how to join this group ?
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:56   #14217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at this article. Has all the details: Link

But this is specific to trains on the Dharmapuri-Hosur-Bangalore line. I assume there may be a similar one for the Whitefield Line launched or in pipeline, but have not seen it.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd June 2017 at 11:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:14   #14218
BHPian

Quote:
You can check the Whitefield rising FB group for more details. I guess they will have the link for a group.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:44   #14219
Senior - BHPian

I hope they use the railway stations scattered across Bengaluru wisely. While they are building metro lines, they could build overpasses or underpasses to major areas like ITPL (from both metro and rail stations) to be used only by public transport. It could just be two lanes but would carry lots of passengers.
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:21   #14220
Senior - BHPian

How long would the metro ride from Yelachanahalli to Byapanhalli take ? With a changeover at Majestic.

I'm talking of peak hours like 8 am from Yelachanahalli . About 45 mins ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks