Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:27   #14986
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I don't think the reason for demolition is the bad design, but the protest (or rather bribery) from nearby property owners like Jayadeva hospital.
Yes, this has been in news since long.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5117535.ece
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:28   #14987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
/* snip */.
In any accident or altercation, I always take out my bike keys for this reason. Two weeks back, a Maruti Eeco made an illegal u-turn in front of a truck no less, and I was on the left side of the truck and didn't see this vehicle. As a result, he hit me. First thing, I took out the keys, and next, I pulled out my phone and snapped a couple of photos of the vehicle and his license plate, and dealt with it.

Last week I had to deal with some guys who had some road rage, because there was a crazy amount of traffic on Jakkur Main Road, and the traffic wasn't moving at all. Might have had to do with the event happening at GKVK, but I got yelled at and my car hit because some idiots couldn't squeeze their bike through. I was going to rail on the guy who hit the car if the traffic hadn't moved for two more minutes, but I kept myself content with yelling back at him (yeah, I actually did drop down to his level, but no one touches my car.) and asking him why he was behaving like a drama queen. Obviously this sent my lady friend into a fit of giggles outside the car, so that diluted the message a bit but angered the guy even more.

I told him that he was blocking traffic and to get out of the way (by this time the signal had turned green) and everyone was moving, except the two lanes behind this two wheeler.

People are getting reckless and road rage is becoming more common. I'm going to have to start having some sort of protection for self defense in case things get hairy.
Shanenanigans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:38   #14988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you say that you are happy about it and flyover at Jayadeva junction was ill designed? At least this was making the junction almost signal free, which otherwise would be chaotic. Only relief is that the underpass will be still there. It's going to be a hell there for next few months/years.

I don't think the reason for demolition is the bad design, but the protest (or rather bribery) from nearby property owners like Jayadeva hospital. Otherwise, they could've constructed metro station without touching the flyover.
I dont think there was any bribery. There were retired people who had constructed their houses with loans on one side and a hospital which would lose most of its free space. By the way Jayadeva hospital is a govt hospital !
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:28   #14989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you say that you are happy about it and flyover at Jayadeva junction was ill designed? At least this was making the junction almost signal free, which otherwise would be chaotic.
Where do I start?
(a) Coming from BTM
1) Towards BG Road (left): That is 90-degree turn. This is ORR path and it is not free left. Buses have to be in the middle lane to turn left.
2) Towards the East end (straight): Major percentage of traffic flows this way. The middle lane hits the ORR flyover pillar (from BG Road towards BTM). So vehicles have to move right around the curve, to go straight.
3) Towards dairy circle (right): The right turning lane crosses the vehicles waiting on the opposite side.
4) U-turn: This is the 1st signal after 16th main junction to make U-turn. Buses have to be in left most lane to make a right U-turn.
In all these cases, the traffic light is not visible, unless you are in the front row at the junction.

(b) From BG Road towards BTM
1) On the flyover, traffic merges into traffic from East end. There are 2-speed breakers at the end of the flyover. in case someone fails to notice these, it is sure case of axle-break.
2) U- turn under the flyover: This is blind turn. The traffic light is barely visible to those waiting in the front row. After hearing repeated honking from behind, when the vehicles start to make U-turn, they find themselves in the middle lane of traffic (see case a-2 above).

Along with these, there are typical problems like un-marked roads, no signages, no lane marking, no zebra crossing.
Quote:
Only relief is that the underpass will be still there. It's going to be a hell there for next few months/years.
Yes, there is no problem with the underpass.
Quote:
I don't think the reason for demolition is the bad design, but the protest (or rather bribery) from nearby property owners like Jayadeva hospital. Otherwise, they could've constructed metro station without touching the flyover.
Jayadev metro station is an interchange station between yellow line & red line.There is no way to build metro tracks without demolishing the flyover.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:38   #14990
Senior - BHPian

While I support BTP for taking action on wrong parking, the way they were taking this tiny U-Turn while towing this car caused little congestion on ORR near VIMS Hospital. Looking at bikes hanging from the towing vehicle, there may be some damage to the car as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2017_1122_161108_009.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2017, 23:41   #14991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
While I support BTP for taking action on wrong parking
This U turn itself should be closed. They keep opening and closing this every fortnight. It has added a bottle neck on Kadubeesnahalli - Marathahalli direction.

Also, in the above pic are you driving towards Marathahalli? If so, the U turn which police tow vehicle is taking is illegal. U turn is allowed only from direction of Marathahalli - Kadubeesnahalli.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:19   #14992
BHPian

I'm planning to drive to Thrissur tomorrow evening and will be taking the route through Salem. Usually my start will be early mornings around 3 Am from home near Bangalore East railway station.
But tomorrow need to leave from Vydehi Hospital / Tesco at 4 PM, which is the best way to get out of Bangalore for this time of Firday?

Will that be Hope Farm ~ Thirumalshettyhalli ~ ChikkaThirupathi ~ Bagalur ~ Hosur or
Varathur ~ Gunjur ~ Sarjapur ~ Atiibele ~ Hosur or
Varathur ~ Gunjur ~ Sarjapur ~ Bagalur ~ Hosur.

Appreciate help from folks who travel on this side of Bangalore.

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:27   #14993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
But tomorrow need to leave from Vydehi Hospital / Tesco at 4 PM, which is the best way to get out of Bangalore for this time of Firday?
I think at that time, Vydehi > Graphite Junction > Alpine Eco > ORR > Silk Board > BETL should be OK. The alternatives are probably worse in terms of time/traffic/BP.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:26   #14994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think at that time, Vydehi > Graphite Junction > Alpine Eco > ORR > Silk Board > BETL should be OK. The alternatives are probably worse in terms of time/traffic/BP.
I didn't consider this route in my list as an option because I thought Graphite India, ORR and Silk board will be bad for Friday evening.
Even the google suggested for a start at 4 PM Friday will add 15 minutes to the travel time.

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:05   #14995
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you say that you are happy about it and flyover at Jayadeva junction was ill designed? At least this was making the junction almost signal free, which otherwise would be chaotic. Only relief is that the underpass will be still there. It's going to be a hell there for next few months/years.

Has there been any annoucement about the life after flyover is demolished , and metro pillars are up , will there be a replacement structure ? It will become like "Area to be avoided as much as possible" like Silk Board and BTM stretch of ORR.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:06   #14996
BHPian

Any idea what's causing this delay at Silk Board? 45 minutes delay at Silk board is not something that I have to deal with on my daily commute in this route!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1511411658539.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2017, 10:14   #14997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetSC View Post
Any idea what's causing this delay at Silk Board? 45 minutes delay at Silk board is not something that I have to deal with on my daily commute in this route!
Can it be this? Just saw this tweet from Bangalore Traffic Police
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btp.jpg  

treadmark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:25   #14998
BHPian

Let me also post something on the 1000th page.

Does anyone have any idea on what basis roads have been selected for white topping? If bad stretches or heavy traffic is the consideration, then every inch of every road in the whole city needs white topping.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:31   #14999
BHPian

Owing to the running around for my cousin's marriage, yesterday evening I did a massive cross city drive that spanned for 22 kms and a little over 2 hours. This was from Cessna Business Park to Vivekananda Park in Girinagar. Almost all the shortcuts were either clogged or closed for functions. The biggest detour of sorts was inside Jayanagar 4th Block where 10th Main was closed due to a function (movie launch or something).

Also, 1000 pages on this post. We've literally come a long way.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:48   #15000
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This week, the rush hour traffic from the Domlur flyover down ramp towards EGL (Koramangala direction) has thinned down. I used to attribute the heavy traffic to the volume of traffic merging onto Inner ring road from Old airport road.
I'm wondering if this reduction in traffic on this stretch is caused by the flyover work at Ejipura, so my guess is that traffic is now slowing down after the U-turn point beyond EGL as you go nearer to Ejipura ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks