Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 16:08   #14926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The peripheral Ring road project till it's constructed is what I see as a "value add" for apartment developers to sell their properties by advertising it as "300 meters from upcoming peripheral ring road".

Till then, the combination of NH648 with others is already going to address many of the woes.
I read a week ago that PRR was supposed to be 100 mts. Now they will limit it to 75 mts and give back the developed 25 mts which can be used for commercial activity. Shouldn't they develop just a road which has nothing coming up next to it for another 200 mts ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:11   #14927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
....expected to be completed in 15 days.

Will it actually be completed in 15 days?
There's a reason they always say 'expected' and never 'will'.

For reference, it took nearly 3 months to concrete the small one-way stretch of Lower Agaram Road that joins Hosmat Hospital Junction to Victoria Road, passing by the ASC Records Office.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th November 2017 at 16:13.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:14   #14928
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Will it actually be completed in 15 days?
Highly unlikely that this will be completed in 15 days. I was checking with a traffic cop en route to work and he mentioned that at the bare minimum, it will take about a month - again this is what he 'heard' from a BBMP official so it is unofficially official news.
gpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 07:13   #14929
BHPian

Question to folks at Manyata Tech Park.
Are there any travel options like a share pool / Zipgo that leaves Manyata in the evening around 4pm to either the Mantri Metro station or the YPR Metro station ?

An Uber/Ola to both places comes to around 230/- + single trip . Distance is (11 -12 km at max) to either place.

Also please let me know if there is any Whatsapp group / FB group that is based around Manyata travel options.

Last edited by Fillmore : 16th November 2017 at 07:14.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:52   #14930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Question to folks at Manyata Tech Park.
Are there any travel options like a share pool / Zipgo that leaves Manyata in the evening around 4pm to either the Mantri Metro station or the YPR Metro station ?
Try this app called QuickRide. Its a car pooling app and their system is pretty robust and reliable. You can try to hail a ride in any of the cars doing a similar route. The cost is something like 2-3Rs. per km and that makes it really cheap. Have been offering rides from a few weeks now and its a very good setup.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:26   #14931
Senior - BHPian

15 days to complete seems far fetched. Unless the technology for concretisation has improved leaps and bounds in the past couple of decades or so.

I have personally experienced the concretisation of some internal roads in Mumbai around a couple of decades back. Those roads which were cemented have held up for a few more years compared to Tar roads. But the process took almost 1 year plus from what I remember. They actually dug the tar road upto 1 feet depth, laid the cement on the road at about 1.5 ft height then the curing etc meant the roads took almost 1 year to be finalised. The period of completion was hell for commuters. Initially taxi and auto drivers used to complain about lack of grip in the rainy season with the concrete roads etc. But no such thing now.

The way I see the white topping happening on the Adugodi to Silkboard stretch, looks like they are doing some jugaad of sorts. It may be completed in lesser time, but the long term life is doubtful.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:41   #14932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have personally experienced the concretisation of some internal roads in Mumbai around a couple of decades back. Those roads which were cemented have held up for a few more years compared to Tar roads. But the process took almost 1 year plus from what I remember.
Are you talking about the large-scale concretization of roads that happened in the early nineties? I too was in Mumbai and I can vouch for the hell it was. But 25 years later, I see those roads still holding quite well (Adi Shankaracharya Marg was the one that affected me most).

I think the difference is that the Mumbai process was a complete replacement of asphalt road road with concrete, whereas the Bangalore process is laying a layer of concrete on top of the asphalt road.

Ref:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetopping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_surface
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 11:51   #14933
BHPian

Please follow below twitter and facebook pages

https://twitter.com/Trafficfreemtp
https://www.facebook.com/Traffic-Fre...7990081611452/

We are coming together to raise our concerns & solve Manyata traffic problem's
#SolveManyataTrafficIssue
Old 16th November 2017, 11:55   #14934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are you talking about the large-scale concretization of roads that happened in the early nineties? I too was in Mumbai
Yes. I was referring to the same. Many of the concretized roads in Mumbai have still held up the test of time even after 20+ years.

I think even at the higher cost and longer timeline for completion, Bangalore should seriously look at re-laying the full concrete roads instead of asphalt.
Not sure of the durability of white topping. A minister had said it will last 30 years or more. I will take all politician's words with a bucket of salt.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:02   #14935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I think even at the higher cost and longer timeline for completion, Bangalore should seriously look at re-laying the full concrete roads instead of asphalt.
If they lay such roads, where will they go afterwards for work and the related income? You should keep on laying roads, keep on earning money. It also reduce unemployment rate you see
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:26   #14936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If they lay such roads, where will they go afterwards for work and the related income? You should keep on laying roads, keep on earning money. It also reduce unemployment rate you see
These folks can go and build more roads elsewhre or keep these roads clean
Old 16th November 2017, 12:34   #14937
Senior - BHPian

I think they are actually doing proper concrete road and not sure why they are calling it just white topping. The Nrupathunga road which was white topped was actual concrete road with steel re-inforcement.

I have seen a picture of what they are doing on ORR (its there on GoK twitter) and it looks similar (although I dont see the steel) They have scraped out the underlying tar road and laid 6 inches of concrete. Also, curing of concrete takes about 20 days. The delay is mostly in trying to redo the cable routing, drains etc.

Last edited by srishiva : 16th November 2017 at 12:42.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:38   #14938
Senior - BHPian

As a biker, I find that uneven surfaces due to bad implementation of concrete roads is worse than an asphalt road. For example, in Pune the Ahmednagar road has a section which is concretised partially. Within a distance of 1 km, the concrete part differs from half the road width to a quarter width and then full width. The surrounding section is done in some areas with asphalt and other areas with the interlocking tiles usually used in pavements. This causes a lot of accidents due to the height difference.

Moreover concrete roads work well in certain urban areas where there is little to no chance of mud/ silt coming on to the road itself. For road users, the ensuing muck on concrete roads could be much worse than on asphalt roads. Gradients of the roads and the supporting drainage system would contribute a lot to keeping the roads free of water/ mud.

In short, the design and pre work on the roads matters as much as the topography of the area. If someone decides to develop a tank (as Koramangala) as a residential area, what chance would any road stand in front of nature, be it concrete or asphalt?
Old 16th November 2017, 12:44   #14939
Team-BHP Support

Bengaluru 4th deadliest city for motorists
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61669277.cms
  • Nearly 500 people have died so far this year navigating Bangalore's pockmarked streets, making it the fourth-deadliest city in India for motorists.
  • Doctors have reported a spike in patients arriving at Bangalore's hospitals with back complaints and spinal injuries sustained on the city's scarred roads.
  • Local authorities have blamed unusually heavy monsoon rains for turning some of the city's roads to impassable stretches of cracked bitumen.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 13:26   #14940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Bengaluru 4th deadliest city for motorists
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61669277.cms
So I had a first hand view of why this happens. On an absolutely open road today in front of Ecospace in Bellandur, two Volvos were involved in a battle of one-upmanship. This lasted all the way till Embassy Tech Village that just happens to be before Kaadubeesanahalli underpass. This is a sad scenario.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed