Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 14:36   #14806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

BBMP folks have been lucky for the last couple of days as there have been no rains, and I have noticed that some of the really pathetic parts of the city seen to have got the infamous "Patch Treatment" now.

The irony here is the proverbial "CALM BEFORE STORM" sorts. The clouds have been building up over Bengaluru, and there was a light drizzle sometime back as well.

Considering its a long weekend, the roads are quite sparse. But I an really dreading Monday the 23 October, especially if the last week's rains are repeated!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 17:27   #14807
BHPian

Its a failed state!

Everything is done *temporarily*. That develops issues, then temp fixes are made to the temp job. That goes bust too, then temp fixes are done to the temp fixes to the temp fix. And on it goes ...

Also, another routine thing I've seen in Blore (atleast nearabout the Bellandur area), is that suppose agency A does some job (eg. railings under flyover). Then agency B comes and does some other job (eg. slab on storm water drain) and in the process destroys some of agency A's work. After several months of suffering, agency A comes along and fixes its broken portion but in the process destroys some of agency B or agency C's work (eg. kerbside stones dislodged), and after several months agency B or C comes to fix its work and destroys agency A's work in the process, and the cycle continues.

Amazingly incompetent state of civic affairs, this place Blore! Reminds me of how Pune was up until the mid 90's.

Its clear case of corruption. Someone is making undeserved money (the supplier of kerbside stones, BBMP officials, contractor, etc).

Last edited by vharihar : 18th October 2017 at 17:28.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 17:52   #14808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
BBMP folks have been lucky for the last couple of days as there have been no rains, and I have noticed that some of the really pathetic parts of the city seen to have got the infamous "Patch Treatment" now.
Well said, why do they even bother?! Here in Indiranagar, during a short hiatus between showers, the crooks from BBMP were seen dumping concrete, tar and other assorted material into craters and then doing a once over with a roller. Even a child could have predicted the result. A week hence, after another round of showers (not heavy in this area mind you) a stretch of 80 feet road is bringing back memories of my Spiti ride from last year! And stretches to Cambridge layout, enroute to my daughter's school, is a downright disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Its clear case of corruption. Someone is making undeserved money (the supplier of kerbside stones, BBMP officials, contractor, etc).
Who cares?! The shameless legislators here were making arrangements to receive gold biscuits in the name of Legislature day celebrations Where and who in the world proposes to distribute bullion to lawmakers and that too at a time, when citizens of a so called premier city are being washed down drains! No prizes for guessing how this largesse would have been funded.

Last edited by hothatchaway : 18th October 2017 at 17:53.
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 08:38   #14809
BHPian

Covered 35 kms in 46 mins. Same route, same speed but with very less interruptions or traffic, the average speed increased from 30kms/hr to 46kms/hr. I guess this should be an interesting case study here. We can come up with stats on who contributes the traffic - school buses or cabs or individual cars. Anyways time to enjoy the short lived happiness
Old 19th October 2017, 09:41   #14810
BHPian

I always take my car when I and my wife go to work and prefer to take bike when I go alone. But today I will go in car even if I am alone, purely to enjoy the bliss.

Achhe din!!!
Old 19th October 2017, 09:54   #14811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Its a failed state!

Everything is done *temporarily*. That develops issues, then temp fixes are made to the temp job. That goes bust too, then temp fixes are done to the temp fixes to the temp fix. And on it goes ...
In BBMP parlance it is called "ಹಳೆ ಕಲ್ಲು ಹೊಸ ಬಿಲ್ಲು" (Old stone new bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I guess this should be an interesting case study here. We can come up with stats on who contributes the traffic - school buses or cabs or individual cars. Anyways time to enjoy the short lived happiness
I suppose it is the combination of all but most of all cabs and private cars.
Old 19th October 2017, 10:20   #14812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

The irony here is the proverbial "CALM BEFORE STORM" sorts. The clouds have been building up over Bengaluru, and there was a light drizzle sometime back as well.

Considering its a long weekend, the roads are quite sparse. But I an really dreading Monday the 23 October, especially if the last week's rains are repeated!!
I think we are done with the rains. Atleast the heavy rains. There should be a depression which is usual at this time. But seeing how abnormal the weather pattern is, it may be different as well.
The weather is becoming cold as well and skies are clear, which normally means end of rainy season.

Keeping this in mind, I gave my car a good wash last weekend and fingers crossed it will stay clean atleast for couple of weeks.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 10:32   #14813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

I think we are done with the rains. Atleast the heavy rains.
By the looks of it, I couldn't agree more with you.

But if you remember, there were a couple of days that were just as bright, just before the heavy shower lashing that Bangalore received a week back!!

Quote:
Keeping this in mind, I gave my car a good wash last weekend and fingers crossed it will stay clean atleast for couple of weeks.
I did the same last weekend, and luckily the gamble seems to have paid off till date.

I don't mind washing my car every day if I have to, but I can't really take any more of the BBMP's "HOGWASH", and hopefully this time around, the roads hold on for few more weeks (if not days)!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:27   #14814
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to wake this thread up.

All the best to everyone coming back to the Concrete Jungle called Namma Bengalooru.
I had a nice time last week driving through empty ORR among other empty roads.
BTP notice on the same. So, prepare yourselves guys...
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20171022wa0035.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:20   #14815
Distinguished - BHPian

Kolar highway was jam packed at 430 for the first time in my experience. Horrible crowd and so was the signal before Garden City college. This is becoming a menace with most of the drivers knowing zero knowledge of highway and driving all over the road. Not like they were fast either. These are the same bunch of idiots who skip signals in city but drive on highways at 40-60kmph.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:17   #14816
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted but there is some road working going on the main road opposite Croma on the ORR.
I was heading to Phoenix Mall from Sahakarnagar in the afternoon and got caught under the Hennur Underpass.
So once you climb up the underpass you need to enter the service road as the main road is blocked.

Best is to take the service road instead of the underpass or any alternate route.
Heads up to those who use ORR for their commute.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-road-work.jpg  

yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:04   #14817
BHPian

Looks like the Kadubesanhalli underpass road (from Marathalli towards Bellandur) might be repaired soon. There was debris and construction material/ stones lying there, resulting in just one lane being operational at 7:15 AM today morning. People be forewarned of slower than usual traffic flow in this section of ORR. Additionally, schools have reopened, people on vacation are back to Bangalore and we all know what that means. TRAFFIC.
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:07   #14818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I think we are done with the rains. Atleast the heavy rains. There should be a depression which is usual at this time. But seeing how abnormal the weather pattern is, it may be different as well.
The weather is becoming cold as well and skies are clear, which normally means end of rainy season.

This means end of south west monsoon. North east monsoon is still to start and its normal to rain in south karnataka. Rains will be there till end of December. Usually its not heavy and mostly drizzles but then rains have changed to being absent or heavy.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:36   #14819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted but there is some road working going on the main road opposite Croma on the ORR.
I was heading to Phoenix Mall from Sahakarnagar in the afternoon and got caught under the Hennur Underpass.
So once you climb up the underpass you need to enter the service road as the main road is blocked.

Best is to take the service road instead of the underpass or any alternate route.
Heads up to those who use ORR for their commute.
Thanks - this information helped. Traffic is very slow moving from Nagawara to Kalyan Nagar Junction due to this "Whitetopping" stupidity.

Alternate road saved me 10 minutes today!
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:42   #14820
BHPian

During my commute to the office today (Hosa Rd to Ecospace, Bellandur), I witnessed that the traffic light installed on the junction of Agara Service Rd and 27th Main Rd HSR was functional; now we have two traffic signals within a space of ~150 m on the ORR (one at the Agara Jn and the other below the flyover where 27th Mn Rd merges with ORR). The installation of traffic lights somewhat eased the situation on 27th Mn Rd where manual intervention by the traffic police was resulting in traffic being piled-up until the IOCL petrol bunk.

Last edited by unleash_thunder : 23rd October 2017 at 11:44.

Most Viewed